Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SwissCM posted:

It allows for exploitative business practices and creates an environment that is anti-consumer.

I'm pretty sure that was :thejoke:, since he phrased it the same way as people who try to portray strong labor protections as a violation of employees' freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chaos rhames posted:

My Galaxy S3 keeps freezing on startup, getting stuck on the first image that pops up (the battery loading thing or the phone name). I read about the recovery mode and cleared the cache, which did nothing. There was a message like Error: invalid argument. Is there a relatively easy fix?

I don't want this to get lost but I don't know Samsungs enough to give you solid advice. If this was a Nexus I'd tell you to reflash the factory image. I would imagine you could do a similar thing with Odin but hopefully someone here will lay out that process for you.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Busy Bee posted:

This one? https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-motorola-15w-turbo-charger-with-qualcomm-quick-charge-20-technology

It can be used with the new Nexus 6P? Not sure if that's a good price.

No, 6p only fast charges via 3.1 chargers which really aren't widely available or cheap yet

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

No, 6p only fast charges via 3.1 chargers which really aren't widely available or cheap yet
Nexus 5X and 6P do not use USB 3.1, they are both USB 2.0 devices, but that doesn't affect the power delivery anyway.

Basically it's all very confusing because you have a connector type (USB-C), a data spec (USB 3.1), and a power spEc (USB Power Deliver 2.0). The latter is what matters for buying chargers. Even though USB 3.1 and USB PD 2.0 were relaesed together, they don't depend on each other. I'm unclear if PD 2.0 requires a USB-C connector (at one or both ends?) because the specs are incomprehensible to me.

Other companies like Apple and Qualcomm have built additional specs on top of these, like Quick Charging, and they are totally different things again. And then companies like Motorola have rebranded those ("Turbo Charger") and, urgh, what a mess.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 5, 2015

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Tunga posted:

I'm unclear if PD 2.0 requires a USB-C connector (at one or both ends?) because the specs are incomprehensible to me.

I agree it's a mess, but at least this part I know - you need a "pure" (i.e. dual-ended) USB-C cable and a compatible charger in order to have fast charging.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wax Dynasty posted:

I agree it's a mess, but at least this part I know - you need a "pure" (i.e. dual-ended) USB-C cable and a compatible charger in order to have fast charging.
Yeah, that makes the most sense since it has a bunch of new pins for negotiating power transfer and stuff.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wax Dynasty posted:

So the USB Type-C to USB Standard-A plug cable in the box with the 6P will not do fast charging, but how well will it charge?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mu Zeta posted:

I just read that the Moto X Pure doesn't have an AMOLED screen. Doesn't that make Moto Display suck up battery life? Way to gently caress that one up, Lenovo.
No it doesn't at all because the Pure has proximity sensors that it uses to only pulse the clock/notifications when you reach for it, wave at it, etc. It works perfectly, and the screen is really great in general. I do still wish it had an LED though, even if that would overlap a bit with Moto display.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Official release Marshmallow images up!

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=en

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The quick charging discussion made me realize that I need a new car charger. There is a deal for a seemingly good one on Amazon for $12 after coupon code. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...upon-on-amazon/

Edit: Actually maybe it isn't 5V/3A so isn't actually what is appropriate for USB-PD 2.0? I'm so confused.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 5, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind, there's nothing preventing a phone that has USB-C from supporting both the new USB standard and QC 2.0 (or 3.0 which is coming with the 820.) It's really just a matter of internal configuration and licensing. USB-C is the "free" option and you'll see that on lower end phones. However, I'm sure the higher end flagships will likely utilize both.

Also, there's no DRM on the signaling either. It's been noted that Samsung's exynos SoC's in the current Galaxy line will pass the proper signaling and utilize the higher voltage of a QC 2.0 charger and charge much faster even though it isn't officially supporting QC 2.0.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ugghhhh I'm on vacation for two weeks, we have a beach house in NC, but with the weather we are stuck inside. I can't download or flash this on my N5 because the internet is super slow, and I don't know if it'll invalidate my RSA Token for work. A project is in a critical phase (that was supposed to be two months ago but was changed to right during my vacation) so if I need to help I have to have a working RSA Token or I can't do anything.

UGHGHGHHSDFHSDF

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tunga posted:

Nexus 5X and 6P do not use USB 3.1, they are both USB 2.0 devices, but that doesn't affect the power delivery anyway.

Basically it's all very confusing because you have a connector type (USB-C), a data spec (USB 3.1), and a power spEc (USB Power Deliver 2.0). The latter is what matters for buying chargers. Even though USB 3.1 and USB PD 2.0 were relaesed together, they don't depend on each other. I'm unclear if PD 2.0 requires a USB-C connector (at one or both ends?) because the specs are incomprehensible to me.

Other companies like Apple and Qualcomm have built additional specs on top of these, like Quick Charging, and they are totally different things again. And then companies like Motorola have rebranded those ("Turbo Charger") and, urgh, what a mess.

Yes but companies are probably just going to end up calling them 3.1 since referencing USB-PD will probably confuse regular consumers and just saying type-C charger won't differentiate you from some cheap Chinese OEM that sticks a type-C connector on some regular 1A charger. Engineers shouldn't be put in charge of labeling anything

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 5, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Sub Rosa posted:

The quick charging discussion made me realize that I need a new car charger. There is a deal for a seemingly good one on Amazon for $12 after coupon code. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...upon-on-amazon/

Just to be clear, this is just a 'regular' Quick Charge compatible charger that they are bundling with a USB-C cable, so don't expect it to charge the new Nexuses fast.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Red Warrior posted:

Just to be clear, this is just a 'regular' Quick Charge compatible charger that they are bundling with a USB-C cable, so don't expect it to charge the new Nexuses fast.
Yeah, just canceled my order.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

How do I root my nexus 5 with marshmallow?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

How long after images are posted do OTAs usually go out?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Ugghhhh I'm on vacation for two weeks, we have a beach house in NC, but with the weather we are stuck inside. I can't download or flash this on my N5 because the internet is super slow, and I don't know if it'll invalidate my RSA Token for work. A project is in a critical phase (that was supposed to be two months ago but was changed to right during my vacation) so if I need to help I have to have a working RSA Token or I can't do anything.

UGHGHGHHSDFHSDF

Kind of sounds to me like you shouldn't be upset that you're not able to update your phone.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Doctor Butts posted:

Kind of sounds to me like you shouldn't be upset that you're not able to update your phone.
Look at this normie who's not excited to potentially break his computing device

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Sub Rosa posted:

So the USB Type-C to USB Standard-A plug cable in the box with the 6P will not do fast charging, but how well will it charge?

Same as a non-quick charging regular USB cable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Having not used the Marshmallow preview I'm on the official release now am wondering if they got rid of swipe up from Home to launch Google Now? It doesn't work for me anymore.

e: Oh, you have enable Now on Tap and to invoke it's longpress. Totally discoverable. :rolleyes:

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 5, 2015

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

How long after images are posted do OTAs usually go out?

I want to say for 5.1 the OTA links started appearing on Tuesday with the images and what not on Monday. I may not be remembering correctly. If you are comfortable with it you can just flash everything but user manually and be upgraded.

That's what I did this morning, because I am not a patient person when it comes to these things. Now on Tap is pretty neat, already used it to make a calendar entry from an SMS message. Things feel faster, but that is true after every upgrade for a while.

EDIT: I do not know if you need an unlocked bootloader for all that to work. Mine is unlocked.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 5, 2015

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

FunOne posted:

EDIT: I do not know if you need an unlocked bootloader for all that to work. Mine is unlocked.
You do

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

The battery on my Nexus 5 (older model, not the new one) is really lovely nowadays, but otherwise I still think its a pretty decent phone. Are there any trustworthy kits I can get to replace it or is it all pretty much lovely Afghan knockoffs that will explode in my hand / pants?

Alternatively, are there any decent successors to the phone beyond just the obvious choice of the new Nexus 5? I was looking at the Moto X Pure and that seemed to be somewhat similar, but I don't have much of a clue about chipsets or other technical stuff, and the last few pages seem to indicate that Motorola isn't doing a very good job of supporting phones for long?

Please help I'm retarded and don't want to spend all my money on a lovely rectangle.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

The battery on my Nexus 5 (older model, not the new one) is really lovely nowadays, but otherwise I still think its a pretty decent phone. Are there any trustworthy kits I can get to replace it or is it all pretty much lovely Afghan knockoffs that will explode in my hand / pants?

Alternatively, are there any decent successors to the phone beyond just the obvious choice of the new Nexus 5? I was looking at the Moto X Pure and that seemed to be somewhat similar, but I don't have much of a clue about chipsets or other technical stuff, and the last few pages seem to indicate that Motorola isn't doing a very good job of supporting phones for long?

Please help I'm retarded and don't want to spend all my money on a lovely rectangle.

What do you have against the new Nexus lineup?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I just wanted to make sure I had a good idea of what's out there, in case there were any ~hidden gems~ beyond the obvious upgrade option.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Unless you want Qi charging, the new Nexus 5X is probably your best option.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Apparently 6.0 has unified releases for all carriers for the Nexus 6 too. No more T-Mobile or Fi specific ones, which is nice. Gonna try going without root for as long as I can I guess too given the Android Pay thing and SuperSU apparently being sold. I've really only used it for AdAway anyways.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Replacing your battery costs like :10bux:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor Butts posted:

I know. Problem is that the weather is so bad here we can't go outside to the beach. All we can do is sit and watch the neighbor's beach steps get washed away while we hope ours don't get destroyed.

There's not much to do, so I'm just sitting here knowing theres marshmallow out there and I can't so anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Apparently 6.0 has unified releases for all carriers for the Nexus 6 too. No more T-Mobile or Fi specific ones, which is nice.

Do you have a source for this?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Personal testing (T-Mobile) after looking around at various news articles that said that seemed to be the case. For Fi, a Fi support person apparently said if it's already activated you should be good, but maybe not if it wasn't already Fi activated.

[Edit] Also is there no longer a way to sort apps by size in the Apps settings? It seems to default to alpha sort and I no longer see any options to change that.
[Edit2] Oh okay, you get automatic by size in the Storage->Apps section. That works I guess.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 5, 2015

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Replacing your battery costs like :10bux:

Are there any suggested products? I find kits on Amazon but they always have enough 1-star reviews that claim the battery exploded and killed their whole family or whatever that I'm paranoid.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm wondering what the samsungs will do for now on tap. Probably replace the google now shortcut longpress home button.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Are there any suggested products? I find kits on Amazon but they always have enough 1-star reviews that claim the battery exploded and killed their whole family or whatever that I'm paranoid.

I would just go on eBay and get one off a powerseller. I'm sure a bunch of goons are gonna chime in with why that's a terrible idea, but hey it's up to you

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I flashed to Marshmallow and it seems...a lot like lollipop. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but I had to go to about phone to be 100% sure it actually upgraded.

I was looking through the Ars review of Marshmallow and it talked about "doze" and that sounds cool and all, but will the phone still work? Text messages? Emails? I can't really have my phone not working just because I haven't picked it up in a while. I'm assuming it would exclude at least the first two, but who knows with Google. If it's just sleeping Facebook and other dumb poo poo then great.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

myron cope posted:

I flashed to Marshmallow and it seems...a lot like lollipop. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but I had to go to about phone to be 100% sure it actually upgraded.

I was looking through the Ars review of Marshmallow and it talked about "doze" and that sounds cool and all, but will the phone still work? Text messages? Emails? I can't really have my phone not working just because I haven't picked it up in a while. I'm assuming it would exclude at least the first two, but who knows with Google. If it's just sleeping Facebook and other dumb poo poo then great.

I don't think they're planning on massively compromising usability for the sake of battery life, no.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Obviously it's stupid early to ask, but any recommendations on cases for the 5X? I've been happy with Diztronic for my 4 and 5 so I'd be happy to go with them, if I knew they were going to make one and when it'd come out. Otherwise, for example, the Adopted case that Google is selling is a basic TPU case. And while $20 seems a bit steep, I wouldn't be worried that it won't fit.

I definitely don't want a case made based on leaked specs like mentioned in that linked article earlier.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

myron cope posted:

From that same review:

quote:

The one exception to the Doze mode are "High-priority" messages from apps. Google Cloud Messaging has the ability to push a message to a phone even if it is in Doze mode. This is meant for things like an IM from someone, which you would want to get even if your phone is in a deep sleep. The only problem we see with this is that developers—not users—are the ones who decide what is and isn't "high-priority."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
High priority:

Google Hangouts
Gmail
Messaging
Game of War

"This is very important. Come and play, my lord."