Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FISHMANPET posted:

Obviously it's stupid early to ask, but any recommendations on cases for the 5X? I've been happy with Diztronic for my 4 and 5 so I'd be happy to go with them, if I knew they were going to make one and when it'd come out. Otherwise, for example, the Adopted case that Google is selling is a basic TPU case. And while $20 seems a bit steep, I wouldn't be worried that it won't fit.

I definitely don't want a case made based on leaked specs like mentioned in that linked article earlier.

It's not released yet but there is a Diztronic Nexus 5x case on Amazon, I have it pre-ordered. Should ship on the 14th.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015YRPX6E/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

DemonMage posted:

The one exception to the Doze mode are "High-priority" messages from apps. Google Cloud Messaging has the ability to push a message to a phone even if it is in Doze mode. This is meant for things like an IM from someone, which you would want to get even if your phone is in a deep sleep. The only problem we see with this is that developers—not users—are the ones who decide what is and isn't "high-priority."
Welp it was a good idea but this is completely hosed because every IAP bullshit game on the planet will make itself high priority

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yup, something the article mentions. Basically every time we get a way to control the new cool things developers are abusing (Peek), they add a cool new one that we can't control.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Welp it was a good idea but this is completely hosed because every IAP bullshit game on the planet will make itself high priority
So only people stupid enough to actually "play" those "games" are effected. Not sure how this matters.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Red Warrior posted:

It's not released yet but there is a Diztronic Nexus 5x case on Amazon, I have it pre-ordered. Should ship on the 14th.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015YRPX6E/

Lol good job google, searches for Diztronic Nexus 5x don't come anywhere near to that item.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Turn off notifications to all games problem solved

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

I don't think they're planning on massively compromising usability for the sake of battery life, no.

I would hope so, but we've seen countless examples of Google doing seemingly random, dumb poo poo for the sake of... :confused:

And I saw the other part of the review but I was waiting for "of course, the phone, text messages and alarms will be high priority" Like I said I'm fairly sure that Google would set it up this way, but I haven't seen it for sure anywhere.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

And I saw the other part of the review but I was waiting for "of course, the phone, text messages and alarms will be high priority" Like I said I'm fairly sure that Google would set it up this way, but I haven't seen it for sure anywhere.

Well, for one, the way that phone calls and standard text messages are received mean there isn't really a go-and-check-for-it process. You'd have to program the phone to actively ignore signals from the cellular network to wake the gently caress up.

The doze system is more about shutting down background "hey do you have anything new for me" processes from apps you don't use much. And telling them if they're using GCM to use hi-priority for actual info, else they'll batch them up and wake the phone up less often to process "so and so is offline" kind of items.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope has a good point here considering the last software version shipped with a silent mode that completely disabled alarms.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2018

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

LastInLine posted:

myron cope has a good point here considering the last software version shipped with a silent mode that completely disabled alarms.

So did this one, as it should. Though it does have an Alarms only version for people who can't figure out priority mode.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

So, yeah, bad apps can drain your battery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

So did this one, as it should. Though it does have an Alarms only version for people who can't figure out priority mode.

Even Lollipop's revised DND setup was trash. What kind of idiot can't imagine the use case for wanting to silence the device but allow alarms to operate? Even if you decided you would structure Priority mode to account for sleep (which you could do if you wanted to take the time) it would still mean losing Priority mode for any other purpose because now you will have configured it to be a functional silent mode.

Marshmallow's makes a lot more sense from a UI perspective, with the volume keys only controlling the volume and DND/Priority moved to the QSP where it belongs--as an overlay to the existing volume scheme with the option to allow alarms.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

DemonMage posted:

Apparently 6.0 has unified releases for all carriers for the Nexus 6 too. No more T-Mobile or Fi specific ones, which is nice. Gonna try going without root for as long as I can I guess too given the Android Pay thing and SuperSU apparently being sold. I've really only used it for AdAway anyways.

Have you tried Adguard / a NoRoot Firewall?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I solved the battery problem long ago by buying phones with big batteries, not looking forward to seeing in which ways doze will break things. Then again, as we were discussing earlier it is the perfect justification for the Nexus program's existence.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Even Lollipop's revised DND setup was trash. What kind of idiot can't imagine the use case for wanting to silence the device but allow alarms to operate? Even if you decided you would structure Priority mode to account for sleep (which you could do if you wanted to take the time) it would still mean losing Priority mode for any other purpose because now you will have configured it to be a functional silent mode.

Marshmallow's makes a lot more sense from a UI perspective, with the volume keys only controlling the volume and DND/Priority moved to the QSP where it belongs--as an overlay to the existing volume scheme with the option to allow alarms.

None of this is a reason to not have a full silence mode as well. Marshmallow has all four important modes and the UI is definitely better.

tvgm2 posted:

Have you tried Adguard / a NoRoot Firewall?

No but I'll look into those, thanks.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I'm curious, what do you use a completely silent mode for? The alarm app itself shows a notification 2 hours prior to an alarm where you can shut it down quickly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

I'm curious, what do you use a completely silent mode for?

Uh...like a movie theatre for example?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

"I don't want to be disturbed for any reason." There's any number of situations where this might come up, there are work arounds for it but there's no compelling reason not to offer a mode one might want to turn on for being out at dinner, or a movie, or a surprise meeting. Just like there isn't a compelling reason to not offer an Alarm Only mode, Priority mode could easily work for it but it's also super easy to fit into the UI nicely (as they did).

Now they just need to add a white list mode to the dialer instead of having to use priority mode for that all the time too.

Also did the text size on keyboards get smaller with 6 or was that a SwiftKey update at the same time? I don't mind, but it was super noticeable.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh...like a movie theatre for example?
I was thinking more of the whole idea behind the "no alarms" thing. If you go to a cinema you'll probably know if you have an alarm set.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

FunOne posted:

Well, for one, the way that phone calls and standard text messages are received mean there isn't really a go-and-check-for-it process. You'd have to program the phone to actively ignore signals from the cellular network to wake the gently caress up.

The doze system is more about shutting down background "hey do you have anything new for me" processes from apps you don't use much. And telling them if they're using GCM to use hi-priority for actual info, else they'll batch them up and wake the phone up less often to process "so and so is offline" kind of items.

OK that's good then, mostly me being a dummo. I still think if there's some crazy thing Google can screw up they will, but at least if I'm on call for work the phone will (probably) still ring.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zom Aur posted:

I was thinking more of the whole idea behind the "no alarms" thing. If you go to a cinema you'll probably know if you have an alarm set.

Wouldn't it be awkward if you forgot and had it go off in the middle of a movie or meeting or whatever? Why not just have a totally silent mode too?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2018

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
wrong thread

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MC Hawking posted:

Maybe you colossal sperglords could just turn your loving devices off if you're in the theater or don't want to be contacted in a skeevy bondage club. I don't know maybe you're over thinking this poo poo yet again.

Might be a better idea if Android phones didn't take so drat long to boot

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

dissss posted:

Might be a better idea if Android phones didn't take so drat long to boot

This is true

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Look, they've gotta optimize those apps. I'm sure that every time it boots,it's optimizing them just a little bit more.

Soon they'll be perfect.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Don't know if its because I wiped it, but Marshmallow seems to be running way better than Lollipop did at this point.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Being a big giant baby that needs a screen protector, is Spigen still good? I've had no problems with them on my 4 and 5. So is Spigen Crystal still good? http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147JXMSG?keywords=spigen%20nexus%205x&psc=1&qid=1444103654&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1-spons

On the other hand, how the hell do they have these precisely measured and produced and in stock already. Actually how the hell does anyone get the exact physical specs for these cases and protectors before the devices actually ship?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LastInLine posted:

I don't want this to get lost but I don't know Samsungs enough to give you solid advice. If this was a Nexus I'd tell you to reflash the factory image. I would imagine you could do a similar thing with Odin but hopefully someone here will lay out that process for you.

Thanks. I'm 99% sure the battery's just hosed up so I'll need a replacement. I tried a factory reset before but that did nothing, but it doesn't turn on if there's no charger and it failed the Spin Test, so I'll muck around with program stuff if that doesn't work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FISHMANPET posted:

Actually how the hell does anyone get the exact physical specs for these cases and protectors before the devices actually ship?

They ask, it isn't like dimensions are some kind of trade secret or really any major giveaway with regard to design. I imagine the USPTO and/or the FCC post them publicly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

Maybe you colossal sperglords could just turn your loving devices off if you're in the theater or don't want to be contacted in a skeevy bondage club. I don't know maybe you're over thinking this poo poo yet again.

I need my runpee notifications

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Check the Z4v off your list.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I'm now on Marshmallow on my Nexus 5, and I can confirm:

A
The "swipe up from home" shortcut gesture is completely absent, along with all associated configurability - Other apps could be set to default for that action, e.g. Firefox search, DuckDuckGo search.

The long press alternative seems a massive step backwards, and I hate the Google search app as it doesn't focus the search box and bring up the keyboard when triggered.

This may be a way of punishing people who don't use Google Now.

B
I was previously using M Preview 3, which I'd hoped meant that I could just * dirty flash* the update, leaving my apps snd settings intact. No such luck. I had to completely wipe, as none of my apps would open when I tried this.

C
Even coming from the M preview, the app backup / restore situation is no better than for lollipop, with basically none of my apps retaining settings. Now I have to root to restore them via Titanium backup, good job Google.

I will re-flash stock once that's done, but really this update hasn't improved much for me so far.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I guess it really depends on what apps you use, as I was pleasantly surprised at just how many of my apps and settings all restored perfectly

The only thing annoying for me still remaining on a clean flash was having to fill out mail account details again

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skarsnik posted:

I guess it really depends on what apps you use, as I was pleasantly surprised at just how many of my apps and settings all restored perfectly

The only thing annoying for me still remaining on a clean flash was having to fill out mail account details again

So can you name some apps that restored with settings? I have found none.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My n5 is dead, so not right now :( It's been a while now so dont remember exactly which ones did

Something (the app something) definitely did though!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wooger posted:

So can you name some apps that restored with settings? I have found none.

The Something-App interestingly enough restored with my username and settings already set up on my Nexus 7 and 9 yesterday (and if I had been patient enough to wait 3 hours I could have installed them via OTA-sideload instead of wiping...). But that might have been because I set them up via NFC bump from my Nexus 6. 7 years and we still don't have a consistently working backup/restore function.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Wouldn't it be awkward if you forgot and had it go off in the middle of a movie or meeting or whatever? Why not just have a totally silent mode too?
Well, usually there's a big huge notification right there in the drawer 2 hours from when you've set an alarm. There's also an icon next to the clock, and text on the lock screen when the next alarm is. You should be able to see either if you're fiddling with your phone to put it in silent mode anyway.

I guess meetings are one thing where you don't know how long you'll be, but on the other hand if it's something semi-important I don't think the other people mind if you just excuse yourself and shut it off when it occurs. If it wasn't important, why would you set an alarm in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

r0ck0 posted:

How do I root my nexus 5 with marshmallow?

There's a method that works for the M preview 3, but it involves flashing a modified kernel. Haven't tried on the release version yet, but I'd check XDA as I doubt the same kernel works right.

I need to do this later today to run Titanium :sigh: