Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
New York, D.C., San Francisco—they had a good run.

But the iconic urban centers of America, after reeling in countless generations of young people in the past, are now growing cramped, unpleasant, and absurdly expensive, leading Millennials to think twice before committing to life in one of these cities. Some are opting to escape the less-than-ideal conditions of major metropolitan areas altogether.

So where are they going? Iowa, for one. According to data from Realtor.com compiled by Bloomberg, first-time home buyers are currently snatching up heaps of real estate in Des Moines, the state’s capital, which has a population of roughly 203,000.

In the first half of 2015, Millennials made up around 60 percent of people who used a mortgage to buy a home in the city, according to the data. Since this figure hovers around 37 percent on a national level, Des Moines appears to be the most Millennial-friendly city in America, at least in terms of its housing market. The median price for a home in Des Moines right now is just $218,000. (That’s compared to $738,000 in San Francisco, and—literally—$1 million in Manhattan.)

Though arguably not as trendy as, say, Brooklyn, Des Moines has also slowly been carving out a reputation for itself as something of a nouveau hipster haven. Its population of Millennials swelled from 2006 to 2013 at twice the average national rate, and even established hipster meccas like Portland, Oregon, concede that Des Moines’ low cost of living, flourishing tech industry, and thriving music scene are making it a top destination for some of America’s young people. Millennials like Des Moines so much they’re even populating its suburbs.

Other fledgling cities that are sparking—or reigniting—young interest, according to the Bloomberg report, include Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and Louisiana’s Baton Rouge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

But the iconic urban centers of America, after reeling in countless generations of young people in the past, are now growing cramped, unpleasant, and absurdly expensive, leading Goobacks to think twice before committing to life in one of these cities. Some are opting to escape the less-than-ideal conditions of major metropolitan areas altogether.

So where are they going? Iowa, for one. According to data from Realtor.com compiled by Bloomberg, first-time home buyers are currently snatching up heaps of real estate in Des Moines, the state’s capital, which has a population of roughly 203,000.

In the first half of 2015, Goobacks made up around 60 percent of people who used a mortgage to buy a home in the city, according to the data. Since this figure hovers around 37 percent on a national level, Des Moines appears to be the most Gooback-friendly city in America, at least in terms of its housing market. The median price for a home in Des Moines right now is just $218,000. (That’s compared to $738,000 in San Francisco, and—literally—$1 million in Manhattan.)

Though arguably not as trendy as, say, Brooklyn, Des Moines has also slowly been carving out a reputation for itself as something of a nouveau hipster haven. Its population of Goobacks swelled from 2006 to 2013 at twice the average national rate, and even established hipster meccas like Portland, Oregon, concede that Des Moines’ low cost of living, flourishing tech industry, and thriving music scene are making it a top destination for some of America’s young people. Goobacks like Des Moines so much they’re even populating its suburbs.

Other fledgling cities that are sparking—or reigniting—young interest, according to the Bloomberg report, include Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and Louisiana’s Baton Rouge.

god I love this browser extension

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Pittsburgh, the New York City of Western Pennsylvania

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
everybody wants to believe that this is the stone age of programming because the alternative is that this is as good as it ever gets and that's horrifying

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how many programmers are perfectly aware of best practices and willfully ignore them

how many programmers are perfectly aware of best practices and told by management to ignore them (because they take time)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"$profession worker shortage" means that employers just want to pay less to staff these positions

hth

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

prefect posted:

yeah, i didn't have formal programmer training; i wouldn't have been able to get into it if that had been required :shobon:

this is a big part of the opposition to licensure, a very large number of the people currently working in the industry would not meet education requirements were they to be imposed, and don't want to impose them on anyone else either

I'd be more positive on developer licensing if any of the proposals had testing instead of education requirements. like the general contracting stuff HP posted, which actually isn't just one test but a general test and a bunch of specialty tests. then there are just experience requirements, which can be fulfilled by supervised work experience or by education or some combination of the two.

then again, I also think it should be possible to sit the bar without attending law school or reading for the bar. (which despite its name is actually a form of tutoring under a practicing lawyer.) law school is mostly a racket to limit the number of new lawyers in any given year, I don't want my profession to work that way because fundamentally writing software is a form of expression.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

But the iconic urban centers of America, after reeling in countless generations of young people in the past, are now growing cramped, unpleasant, and absurdly expensive, leading Millennials to think twice before committing to life in one of these cities. Some are opting to escape the less-than-ideal conditions of major metropolitan areas altogether.

In the first half of 2015, Millennials made up around 60 percent of people who used a mortgage to buy a home in the city, according to the data. Since this figure hovers around 37 percent on a national level, Des Moines appears to be the most Millennial-friendly city in America, at least in terms of its housing market. The median price for a home in Des Moines right now is just $218,000. (That’s compared to $738,000 in San Francisco, and—literally—$1 million in Manhattan.)

Though arguably not as trendy as, say, Brooklyn, Des Moines has also slowly been carving out a reputation for itself as something of a nouveau hipster haven. Its population of Millennials swelled from 2006 to 2013 at twice the average national rate, and even established hipster meccas like Portland, Oregon, concede that Des Moines’ low cost of living, flourishing tech industry, and thriving music scene are making it a top destination for some of America’s young people. Millennials like Des Moines so much they’re even populating its suburbs.

i went to east village last week and this is correct, millenials are pushing out all of the poors closest to downtown and just moved all of their toys (barcades, antique shops, wacky themed restaurants/bars) right next to the capitol with the added bonus of freaking out state legislators that have to occasionally go to the state house and loving with out of town reporters every four years.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tori signal activated

Pittsburgh has been desperate to keep the people who attend school there in town after graduation for literally decades

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

eschaton posted:

Pittsburgh has been desperate to keep the people who attend school there in town after graduation for literally decades

brain drain is finally slowing in the rust belt

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

whenever young white people start moving to a place the older white people wanting to be in a cool hip place follow right behind them, and the older folks bring money with which they outbid and drive off rhe young. then the cycle repeats one neighborhood over.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tatsujin posted:

i went to east village last week and this is correct, millenials are pushing out all of the poors closest to downtown and just moved all of their toys (barcades, antique shops, wacky themed restaurants/bars) right next to the capitol with the added bonus of freaking out state legislators that have to occasionally go to the state house and loving with out of town reporters every four years.

yeah too bad it's still in des moines though. it's weird having the tech stuff creep into the state though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive never been iowa

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
never been ohio either, or anywhere in the middle actually. not even chicago. fail

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
nm, went to kentucky once

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
same and i've been to a bunch of places overseas, too. just not much to see in the middle of the country so no point unless you have friends there to visit

i was in kentucky precicely once when i was 7 or 8, i got to break shale in the back of a pickup truck with a mini-sledge :3:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Smythe posted:

never been ohio either, or anywhere in the middle actually. not even chicago. fail

do not go to ohio

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
can you still get a house for the price of a vcr?

lebron james is back, right? their economy is on the upswing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Smythe posted:

chicago is good

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bhodi posted:

can you still get a house for the price of a vcr?

lebron james is back, right? their economy is on the upswing

my sister got a five bd 4k square foot house in the cleve and her mortgage is less than her apartment in hoboken

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tanith posted:

do not go to ohio

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i was just reading the wiki article on Muzak and one of the marketing terms they used was "SENSORY BRANDING" which sounds like some awful techno-dystopian hell-punishment

Taste and Smell by Arby'sTM

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how many programmers are perfectly aware of best practices and willfully ignore them

if by perfectly aware you mean they were taught them at some point, then probably most all of them that went to college

if you mean they think about them but decide not to, then probably not many of them

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

if by perfectly aware you mean they were taught them at some point, then probably most all of them that went to college

if you mean they think about them but decide not to, then probably not many of them

you severely underestimate the effects of management pressure to meet deadlines i think

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Smythe posted:

hang on, let me get this straight: it's harder to determine whether or not a piece of literature is good than if computer code is good? understanding that both literature and computer code can be both functional, and artistic? and im giving a wide interpretation of artistic when applying it to computer code, as a gift to the denizens of YOSPOS.

nah i meant the exact opposite

a piece of good writing (sentence structure, format, conveyance of author's imagination) is pretty readily judged in pretty clear terms. a bad piece of writing is incomprehensible and meaningful to no one, bad and incomprehensible software can still (barely) run and be relied on in life/death situations.

idk, leave it to the 'pos to ignore the spirit of what i wrote (the truth is that im bad and write too much without enough clear content, mlmp)

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

computer parts posted:

also best practices implies industry standard, and in the case of programming that would mean programming in Java and some bs ITIL framework. Best practices doesn't mean they're actually the best.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Elder Postsman posted:

chicago is good

it's way better than detroit but it gets really loving midwesty in terms of terrain and appearance real fast when you leave the city

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if you want the not midwestness but a similar feel to chicago then go to philly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Chicago is pretty good but it would be a lot better if it was not in illinois

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:siren: REGION CHAT :siren:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

mm yes nations that had enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth 20 times over definitely needed to constantly make more right up until the 90's because otherwise power imbalance missile gap something something better dead than red

it's important as hell to be able to simulate weapons so that you don't have to actually test them. it's even more important to be able to model the decay of the weapons and their components, so that you can plan for how and when they will be dis-assembled or refitted.

our current nuclear deterrent was designed in 1982. can you imagine how much design, construction, and testing would have to be done without sophisticated computer models?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

master of COBOL and Warhammer
lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

But the iconic urban centers of America, after reeling in countless generations of young people in the past, are now growing cramped, unpleasant, and absurdly expensive, leading snake people to think twice before committing to life in one of these cities. Some are opting to escape the less-than-ideal conditions of major metropolitan areas altogether.

In the first half of 2015, snake people made up around 60 percent of people who used a mortgage to buy a home in the city, according to the data. Since this figure hovers around 37 percent on a national level, Des Moines appears to be the most snake person-friendly city in America, at least in terms of its housing market. The median price for a home in Des Moines right now is just $218,000. (That’s compared to $738,000 in San Francisco, and—literally—$1 million in Manhattan.)

Though arguably not as trendy as, say, Brooklyn, Des Moines has also slowly been carving out a reputation for itself as something of a nouveau hipster haven. Its population of snake people swelled from 2006 to 2013 at twice the average national rate, and even established hipster meccas like Portland, Oregon, concede that Des Moines’ low cost of living, flourishing tech industry, and thriving music scene are making it a top destination for some of America’s young people. snake people like Des Moines so much they’re even populating its suburbs.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Broken Machine posted:

yes. There are also people like Paul Graham (who many either really like or dislike) who were also trained as artists or musicians before they became programmers.

paul graham also posted on the internet about how the sept. 11th attacks were like a stack overflow exploit and how 9/11 wouldn't have happened if people would just use lisp

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Condiv posted:

paul graham also posted on the internet about how the sept. 11th attacks were like a stack overflow exploit and how 9/11 wouldn't have happened if people would just use lisp

some of his essays and personal views are poo poo, unlike any other successful programmers or artists ever. People who can do difficult things are difficult people, you don't say

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so, it turns out that it might not be a good idea to allow unregulated digital sports betting?!?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/sports/fanduel-draftkings-fantasy-employees-bet-rivals.html

it's incredibly likely that employees of both draftkings and fanduel have bene engaging in insider trading across platforms. employees had access to important betting data and apparently used that data on each others' sites to win big money. (employees weren't allowed to use their own sites, you see)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

my sister got a five bd 4k square foot house in the cleve and her mortgage is less than her apartment in hoboken

nice fuckin McMansion lmao

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

nice fuckin McMansion lmao

the mortgage on this big Maine house is less than any rent I've paid since 2008

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
mcmansions are great if you are:
- the owner of a small business that does some sort of unskilled trade. acceptable answers include drywall, gardening, etc.
- have a daughter named ashleigh
- own a jetski
- get your pe license and license your own home construction because nobody else will, after you've installed 80 electrical outlets and insulation in the stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
mcmansion is a uselessly vague term hth

it should be applied soley to ridiculously large houses that are nevertheless unclassy as gently caress instead of anything bigger than a trailer that's somewhere you don't like

• Locked thread