Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Meydey posted:

My wife took my teen daughter for her first practice drive yesterday evening. This is how it turned out.

She pulled out of a street, and just kept turning apparently. Left rear was about 2ft in the air. Nissan Altimas have lovely articulation.
Still drive able but I'm guessing 2 grand in bodywork. Bumper and fender took the brunt of it.

Ouch. The last couple of weeks we took our five year old out driving on some derelict bush tracks. Hist first and second go driving a car. Steering anyway. Followed the wheel tracks fine, avoided obstacles, and handled some interesting bits like a drop off with a corner at the bottom. He may have special needs but that boy is AI as gently caress.

n'thing an empty parking lot or other wide open space for your daughter. She doesn't seem like the natural driver type.

Err. Content.

Whoops.

Yes the ball joint was bad, but see the dent in the joint? I don't even know how that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Meydey posted:

My wife took my teen daughter for her first practice drive yesterday evening. This is how it turned out.

She pulled out of a street, and just kept turning apparently. Left rear was about 2ft in the air. Nissan Altimas have lovely articulation.
Still drive able but I'm guessing 2 grand in bodywork. Bumper and fender took the brunt of it.

Could be worse, the first time my sister went driving on the road she backed out of the driveway, went across the street, and into the ditch without remembering to turn at all.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

General_Failure posted:

Yes the ball joint was bad, but see the dent in the joint? I don't even know how that's possible.

Looks like a bad separation attempt in the past? I did this exact kind of dent to a nylock nut on a balljoint the other day.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Ouch. The last couple of weeks we took our five year old out driving on some derelict bush tracks. Hist first and second go driving a car. Steering anyway. Followed the wheel tracks fine, avoided obstacles, and handled some interesting bits like a drop off with a corner at the bottom. He may have special needs but that boy is AI as gently caress.

This was my first driving lesson, sitting on my Dad's lap driving down the neighborhood street in Austin, less than a half mile total drive. Come to think of it, it was more just holding the wheel and occasionally steering while he did the rest, but I didn't steer my first car into a ditch.

Now that I live in a larger metro area, I fully intend to attempt this with my kids, although I might drive two miles to get out of town.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks to simulators (if Hard Drivin' could be called a simulator) I knew how to steer before I knew how to drive so the hard part of the actual first drive was managing a real clutch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't understand the hatred of pedal style parking brakes, I can exert more leverage onto a pedal with my foot than I can onto a lever with my hand. The purpose of the parking brake is so that 3,000lbs+ of car is not resting on this tiny piece of pot metal known as a parking pawl. Also, as previously noted, an "e-brake" won't stop the car, and I would slap the poo poo out of the passenger if they pulled a stunt like that.

I don't understand why people are so freaked the gently caress out about their parking pawls.

Last time I looked at one it was about 1/4" wide and half an inch long, hardened steel, and engaged slots in a 2-3 inch radius tooth wheel inside the transmission.

Would I slam it into park while moving and enjoy listening to the ratchety noises till it stopped? gently caress no, I'm not retarded, unlike STR's dad.
Would I put it in park, let it roll slowly into engagement with the pawl, turn the wheels into the curb and not worry about the parking brake? Yeah. poo poo, it's not that weak, and it's got the differential gearing advantage working in its favor.

This is not the Big Deal everyone makes it out to be, goddamn. Don't abuse it, but it's not going to hurt anything using it, unless you have one of the few auto transmissions that have a known weak, lovely design for it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

I don't understand why people are so freaked the gently caress out about their parking pawls.

Last time I looked at one it was about 1/4" wide and half an inch long, hardened steel, and engaged slots in a 2-3 inch radius tooth wheel inside the transmission.

Would I slam it into park while moving and enjoy listening to the ratchety noises till it stopped? gently caress no, I'm not retarded, unlike STR's dad.
Would I put it in park, let it roll slowly into engagement with the pawl, turn the wheels into the curb and not worry about the parking brake? Yeah. poo poo, it's not that weak, and it's got the differential gearing advantage working in its favor.

This is not the Big Deal everyone makes it out to be, goddamn. Don't abuse it, but it's not going to hurt anything using it, unless you have one of the few auto transmissions that have a known weak, lovely design for it.

It's about having two things keeping your vehicle from rolling. There are lots of places where there are no curbs and your car can do serious damage if allowed to roll unimpeded. That parking pawl isn't going to stand up to another vehicle colliding with yours.

It's an easy way to CYOA, why would you ignore it?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

EightBit posted:

It's about having two things keeping your vehicle from rolling. There are lots of places where there are no curbs and your car can do serious damage if allowed to roll unimpeded. That parking pawl isn't going to stand up to another vehicle colliding with yours.

It's an easy way to CYOA, why would you ignore it?

Why are you worried about what your parked vehicle does after some idiot plows into it?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 5, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"If only I'd set the parking brake, my Durango wouldn't have crushed my exotic fish tank!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

I don't think the one you saw represents most of them. I've never seen one that beefy, they're usually one tooth and they absolutely wear down.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Why are you worried about what your parked vehicle does after some idiot plows into it?

Possible insurance shenanigans, not being an anti-social jerk, etc.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

I don't think the one you saw represents most of them. I've never seen one that beefy, they're usually one tooth and they absolutely wear down.

Working In a shop environment for almost 10 years now seeing all makes and all models in all stages of repair I have never once personally heard of or seen a failed parking pawl.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

14 INCH DICK posted:

Working In a shop environment for almost 10 years now seeing all makes and all models in all stages of repair I have never once personally heard of or seen a failed parking pawl.

If you go by my inspection sheets neither have I...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kastein posted:

You have seen more parking pawls than me, but it appears I have been in more beat-to-poo poo bro-trucks where the owner states the parking pawl is broke, and the parking brake was cut on this vehicles too. No, the owner of this vehicle did not understand the concept of curb parking with the wheels turned, Kansas is flater than something really flat.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 6, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

14 INCH DICK posted:

I haven't seen one that's failed, but I've seen a couple that show clear rounding off.

Edit: For me, at the end of the day it's about a 2-second habit that cuts off any chance - no matter how remote - that someday I could have problems. By the time I die I'll have wasted more of my life trying to figure out if I'm really about to sneeze or not than I will have by setting/releasing the parking brake.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Godholio posted:

By the time I die I'll have wasted more of my life trying to figure out if I'm really about to sneeze or not than I will have by XYZ simple safety thing.
I like this. Think I'ma hafta borrow it sometime.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

I haven't seen one that's failed, but I've seen a couple that show clear rounding off.

Edit: For me, at the end of the day it's about a 2-second habit that cuts off any chance - no matter how remote - that someday I could have problems. By the time I die I'll have wasted more of my life trying to figure out if I'm really about to sneeze or not than I will have by setting/releasing the parking brake.

Yeah but how does the rounding off relate to the possibility of failure?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maxwells Demon posted:

Yeah but how does the rounding off relate to the possibility of failure?

hmm how would a rectangular peg that fits into a rectangular slot being rounded and worn be an indication of impending failure

i guess well never knwo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

Have a foot‐operated brake; waste no time at all by releasing/setting the brake at the same time you fasten/unfasten your seatbelt.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Enourmo posted:

hmm how would a rectangular peg that fits into a rectangular slot being rounded and worn be an indication of impending failure

i guess well never knwo

Nothing in cars is engineered with a high safety rating, especially not safety systems. I guess I am defeated by your superior logic.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meydey posted:

I did this once right after I got my license but was turning into someone's yard to park for a party, I didn't realize that he had cones set up for where he filled the ditch with gravel to make a driveway sort of thing into his yard I thought it was all just grass. The car landed on the frame basically where you would jack it up. Front wheels just hanging out in the air. Went to find my Dad, he comes to look at it and says something like 'wow, you're dumb, hold on' then comes back with like 6 of his drunk friends (it was a big end of summer cookout) and they all lift the front of the car up and push it back onto the road while I'm in the car with it in reverse to drive once it got traction. No real damage as far as I could tell. When it fell off I thought I broke the car in half...it hit hard.

This same car had the parking brake fail and no one every told me to put a manual in gear when you park on a hill. I took out a friend's christmas tree that they had been growing in the back yard for the last 4-5 years, but it stopped the car. It was the one tree between the hill/driveway and a creek. I bought them a new tree a few days later.

SAABs :smith:

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 6, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maxwells Demon posted:

Nothing in cars is engineered with a high safety rating, especially not safety systems. I guess I am defeated by your superior logic.

Nothing in cars is engineered with a high anything, it's all the cheapest garbage consumers are willing to swallow, with manufacturers probing the depths ever deeper with each passing quarter.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Meydey posted:

Heading home after an hour in a warehouse parking lot. Wife thought she could handle a low traffic neighborhood street on the way home. Guess not.

To get a Learner's Permit in NJ when I was 16 I needed to spend a few hours with a driving instructor. He just drove me to some random residential street, had me take the wheel, and then just had me drive out of the suburb (so i could practice not hitting anything) and straight onto the highway ("make sure to go at least 70 here, only suckers do 50") so we could go pick up the cigars and whiskey he wanted.

Those were my first 10 minutes behind the wheel, because there is no other way to learn Jersey Style Driving.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Slanderer posted:

Those were my first 10 minutes behind the wheel, because there is no other way to learn Jersey Style Driving.

My first time behind the wheel ever learning to drive in NJ was to drive some kid to Haddonfield and then back down 130 at rush hour. I remember getting honked at a lot. By the third lesson, though, I was precisely as overconfident and lovely a driver as I am now, 15 years later.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Parking pawl failure seems to be a common neurosis around here

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i only fear parking pawl failure inasmuch as i fear driving an automatic, which is for scrubs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

"If only I'd set the parking brake, my Durango wouldn't have crushed my exotic fish tank!"

"If it weren't for my horse..."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

Parking pawl failure seems to be a common neurosis around here

It has failed on my fiancee's 98 explorer. She didn't even know the emergency/parking brake even existed the first four years she had the car.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

kastein posted:

Beach Bum posted:

The pedestrian who just happens to be in the line of fire probably cares, but gently caress him, I won't be liable. And gently caress that other guy who relies on his car to get to work, but now can't because it's totalled because my car rolled into it. kastein usually I respect your advice and knowledge about things but this is just stupid. Metal wears out and fails, parts can have casting defects and fail, and sometimes things just plain don't work like they're supposed to. I'll grant you that the risk is small, but the consequences of a roll away car could be huge. It literally only adds two seconds to the start and end of every drive to essentially eliminate that risk entirely.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
24ish cars in the last 19 years, and the worst I've had is a 200k van from 45 years ago whose parking pawl->tire movement is about 3 inches which translates to an entire THREE generations of contractors slamming it into park while-not-letting-it-stop-properly. On a 45 year-old transmission.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lol if you don't chock your wheels every time you park.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I take off my wheels and chain the car into the ground with concrete studs, only way to be sure.

Even then I remove all of the plastic trims, mirrors and stuff because they tend to fall off easily in accidents, and I roll down the windows and tape the screen cause I don't want any shrapnel flying about when someone hits it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lol you don't have Enrique removing your wheels and securing your car wherever you park.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Parking Paul is his slave name.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The mechanical failure is that this thread exists, wherein goons defend not pulling up a lever to keep rare poo poo from happening and getting worse.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Seriously, what's the argument against using it other than "I am the laziest person on the planet"? Even if you believe there's almost no risk of a failure that would require it, it takes a quarter of a second to engage/disengage so why not?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 6, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait I thought we were pro parking brake and anti zipper merging (to keep things balanced in the yin/yang cosmos). Are we now the reverse?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
It isn't even an argument in Australia, it's a legal requirement to engage the parking brake when you park the vehicle and we ticket people who don't :v:

Of course this leads to manual car drivers leaving their cars in neutral with the parking brake on but hey you can't win 'em all

the coolant flower is blooming! (not my vehicle, stolen from reddit.)

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mr. Despair posted:

Could be worse, the first time my sister went driving on the road she backed out of the driveway, went across the street, and into the ditch without remembering to turn at all.

I borrowed my dad's Prius one day while I was visiting.

He has a very short 90 degree driveway. 2 car garage, but with single doors. I wound up backing up across his front yard, his next door neighbors driveway, and his next door neighbor's yard. :blush:

Still don't know how I managed that. I tried to parallel park it in front of a friend's house, and my friend asked me how far away I thought I was from their car. I said "maybe half a car length?". They told me to get out and look..... it was more like 4 car lengths. :doh:

I had similar issues with the Ion when I got it, but not nearly as bad - I can't see the hood at all from the drivers seat, and I had the same issue in the Prius. It didn't help that the front clip of the Prius is short as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Having grown up with Saabs I habitually put every car in reverse when parking.