Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
rip nielsm, mauled by baby potato

(lookitthatbaby :kimchi:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

anotherblownsave posted:

So it was a really rough weekend. Finn was sleeping, and I guess he freaked out, and hurt himself. Finn, checked out fine at the vet, they gave us antibiotics to give him, and took x-rays of his wing. There were no fractures or anything, just the broken feather. I went out last night, and came home, and he was dead. I had him less than a week. I'm really upset about it, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I called the vet, and they're going to do an autopsy to figure out what happened. I don't even know what to do now. I feel like such a horrible bird owner, Daisy is really upset, and she keeps yelling loudly at Finn's cage.

I'm so sorry :( As others have said, it wasn't your fault. You did everything right but birds can be so very fragile.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Why would you let something that wants to cuddle then kill you into your house?

Fake Edit: Actually, that's basically my wife :/

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Thanks everyone :) and Neilsm holy crap thats the most birds.jpg post ever. It also made me laugh, so I definitely appreciate it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh. I thought it was only my grey tiel that was openly plotting my death. The fact that she was imported from Russia and only seems to respond to Russian when I don't speak it is not helping our bonding process.

Edit: I've got as far as pree-vyet petashka (hi birdie) which makes her do a little head shake in surprise.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 5, 2015

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
My local paper had an article this week about Iko, the lovable, bitey whitey, who apparently counsels prostitutes into changing their lives. Iko is a French Quarter staple as he's always there to greet you when you pass.

The article:

Iko the bitey whitey

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

Why would you let something that wants to cuddle then kill you into your house?

Fake Edit: Actually, that's basically my wife :/

When they miniaturized Bitey Whiteys™ into cockatiels they had to get rid of some features for space reasons and to make it cheaper for the budget-minded consumer. So features such as basic cognitive abilities and homicidal urges got cut.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Where are you guys getting your bird crazies tags?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anotherblownsave posted:

No freaking clue how that works. They aren't smilies, right?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Potato Salad posted:

No freaking clue how that works. They aren't smilies, right?

You buy a new avatar and include the tags for the bird crazies tag along with your avatar. They used to give out gang tags but people basically buy their own now.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
There is no adequate way to describe the video in this link, so you should just click on it:
http://tumblr.becausebirds.com/post/130416922722/thebestoftumbling-x-tube-face

:3:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Shirec posted:

You buy a new avatar and include the tags for the bird crazies tag along with your avatar. They used to give out gang tags but people basically buy their own now.

Is it code you put in with your text? Or do you just pick one?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

anotherblownsave posted:

Is it code you put in with your text? Or do you just pick one?

Yeah, you put it in your text. Not quite sure what the bird crazies code is but I'm sure someone has that knocking around. Or maybe you can pull it out of the website itself?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Staryberry posted:

There is no adequate way to describe the video in this link, so you should just click on it:

Oh my god, I won't try to describe it either but echo the sentiment that people should stop reading this and click right now.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

anotherblownsave posted:

The avatar and gang tag fairies (and possibly I have a "free" one from the thread tag thread but since I already had the one on offer dunno if it could be offloaded to someone else)

Staryberry posted:

The nibbles on the bottom of the tube from the harassment prior to giving up and allowing it for the camera :3:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/kanmiQ is probably the best bird-related Twitter account, if I had any idea how Twitter worked I'd link some of the gems but browsing works too.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

https://twitter.com/kanmiQ is probably the best bird-related Twitter account, if I had any idea how Twitter worked I'd link some of the gems but browsing works too.

There is only probirdsrights birds rights activist :colbert:

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I got my bird crazies tag from another wonderful bird crazies poster: it magically appeared under my name! The more you post, the more chance you have of getting one.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just like an STD!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

(possibly I have a "free" one from the thread tag thread but since I already had the one on offer dunno if it could be offloaded to someone else)

That seems fair. anotherblownsave you have a tag incoming . :)

But to answer your question most of the pet island/bird crazies tags floating around are prizes from contests I've run, or from contributing something special to PI. ie Velvet Sparrow got hers because she runs Chickam every year. If you don't mind spending :5bux: though anybody can get a tag by buying a new avatar and adding
code:
 [img]http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/e0/cf/00141500.0001.gif[/img] 
in the bottom of the textbox. You can substitute the image url there for any other gangtag url.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

There is only probirdsrights birds rights activist :colbert:

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights
You're BOTH wrong :colbert:

https://twitter.com/BirdsThoCo

These are dispatches from directly inside the head of a bird.

@probirdrights is pretty amazing though. I just caught up on their twitter and "His Holwheatness the Pope" made me lose it

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout cuddling with my wife this morning

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh jeez that first and last one with that squinched up happy-sleepy parrot eye :3:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

But to answer your question most of the pet island/bird crazies tags floating around are prizes from contests I've run, or from contributing something special to PI. ie Velvet Sparrow got hers because she runs Chickam every year. If you don't mind spending :5bux: though anybody can get a tag by buying a new avatar and adding
code:
 [timg]http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/e0/cf/00141500.0001.gif[/timg] 
in the bottom of the textbox. You can substitute the image url there for any other gangtag url.

Awesome you guys rule. :) Those Scout pictures are adorable. How old is Scout?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hey, thanks! I got mine as a gift so it seemed fair to gift one along. Bird mod best mod :)

mikerock posted:

Hnrrghhh so drat cute envy levels rising, rising

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I never got a tag because I don't post here much, I just lurk a lot.

One of these days I might get around to actually buying an avatar, then I'll add the gang tag.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i had some black cockatoos in the garden then the white ones showed up and the black ones left

progress??

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Dreggon posted:

i had some black cockatoos in the garden then the white ones showed up and the black ones left

progress??

Gentrification, at least.

Hey, I'm gonna be moving across the country sometime in the near future, possibly, and have been kind of worried about how birb-butt is going to handle the drive. It'll be like a 5 day drive. I haven't really put a ton of thought into it so far aside from "Cover her cage so she doesn't freak out". Are there resources I could read about how to safely transport parrots on multi day trips?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dreggon posted:

progress??

Black cockatoos have a scary as gently caress beak, its massive, but I have found them to be a lot less mental than white cockatoos.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

When I moved interstate some years back with a cockatiel, I had it out in the car most of the time during the trip because it was more calm checking out the scenery than stuck in a box.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

SquadronROE posted:

Gentrification, at least.

Hey, I'm gonna be moving across the country sometime in the near future, possibly, and have been kind of worried about how birb-butt is going to handle the drive. It'll be like a 5 day drive. I haven't really put a ton of thought into it so far aside from "Cover her cage so she doesn't freak out". Are there resources I could read about how to safely transport parrots on multi day trips?

Actually when we moved cross country we just put Teeka in the back seat and propped his cage on a bunch of stuff so he could see. Dude was happy to just chill for most of the day, and when he got loud in the evening we covered him because you don't want to have a cockatoo full on yelling in a car. He handled it quite well, a bit of nervousness at the beginning, but after half an hour he accepted his fate. We unfortunately had to house him in the travel cage for a day or two beforehand, so maybe that helped him get accustomed to it before the actual car ride.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
That makes me feel better. Captain Conure doesn't seem to mind trips to the vet in her travel cage if she can be close to your hand (on the cage) but they're very quick trips. We're planning on having her in her night cage in the back seat so that she is in somewhat more familiar surroundings. I'm not sure about letting her out of the cage during the drive, that sounds incredibly risky considering the car is gonna be full of boxes and stuff.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Some birds can get travel sickness too, so maybe talk with a vet beforehand in case there's anything you can get and give to bird if it happens.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

progress??
Cockatoo appropriation (that doesn't even fit I just wanted to say it)

GoldStandardConure posted:

Black cockatoos have a scary as gently caress beak, its massive, but I have found them to be a lot less mental than white cockatoos.
Are these like black palm cockatoos or is there another kind I'm not aware of? Bonus Conan + cockatoo video :3:

Also if they are black palm cockatoos PICTURES DREGGON GET ON IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBFhaxUIew

Eejit posted:

Actually when we moved cross country we just put Teeka in the back seat and propped his cage on a bunch of stuff so he could see. Dude was happy to just chill for most of the day, and when he got loud in the evening we covered him because you don't want to have a cockatoo full on yelling in a car. He handled it quite well, a bit of nervousness at the beginning, but after half an hour he accepted his fate. We unfortunately had to house him in the travel cage for a day or two beforehand, so maybe that helped him get accustomed to it before the actual car ride.
This is basically how Judah is in the car. He doesn't like the carrier and will yell and grumble for about five minutes, then he gets kind of curious. Eventually he starts singing, I don't know if it's the noise or the motion or what :kimchi: As long as he can see someone he's alright.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sekkira posted:

I never got a tag because I don't post here much, I just lurk a lot.

One of these days I might get around to actually buying an avatar, then I'll add the gang tag.

If I could I would give everybody in this thread a bird tag and proceed to give everybody in every other thread a PI tag but the admins would put a stop to my madness pretty quickly

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I forgot to post about it, but the property manager who was harrassing us about the birds and not being in an approved location and the snakeproof wall thing around them got rekt by her boss and we have a new property manager now.

She issued us a breach notice, as it would turn out, her boss was very not-happy with us giving her a counter breach notice under Australias pretty great quiet enjoyment laws. She nearly got her and the real estate company a fine for what turned out to be 100% illegal bossing around.

No birds in birdcages in a permanently damp permanently dark corner under the verandah here. :smug:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

Cockatoo appropriation (that doesn't even fit I just wanted to say it)

Are these like black palm cockatoos or is there another kind I'm not aware of? Bonus Conan + cockatoo video :3:

Also if they are black palm cockatoos PICTURES DREGGON GET ON IT.

Its probably these birds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-tailed_black_cockatoo

We get 3 types of black cockatoos here in Perth, two of which are endangered :negative:

You only get palm cockatoos right up the top end of Queensland.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wanted to take a photo of his chest since the potentially-pearl markings are quite vivid and easy to see today (apparently not with my shite camera tho) and he was not putting up with it for once

Hedonism bird

Please check your conures for the melt button. It works on both Inko and Ohtori-wings droop out, eyes mostly-to-fully close, stop moving, they start licking the inside of their beak for some reason

It's in a specific spot, in the very middle on the spine, about as shown in photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

mikerock posted:

oohhhhh....I saw these earlier when my husband (woke me up) got up to get ready for work. Chased him down in the bathroom at 4 am and made him look at them while I sat there going LOOK AT THAT OMG SQUEEEEEEEE

He just laughed and went "That is too adorable for me to comprehend at this time of the morning, but that is one happy little bird,...he even has a smile on his face"

I am living vicariously though you atm... post moar pics please! Birdie love = much <3