Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

That sounds like a bug. Shouldn't each Dandelifeon have its own killzone?

If you turned all of them on at the same time, yeah, it'd crap out.

The trick is to turn on the center one for a second or two, in order to age all of the cells that are on its periphery a few generations. Then, you turn the center flower off, retract the cobblestone via sticky piston, and turn on the four ancillary ones on the sides. Generational info for cells is stored on the cell itself, not on the central flower.

code:
int getCellGeneration(int x, int y, int z) {
	TileEntity tile = supertile.getWorldObj().getTileEntity(x, y, z);
	if(tile instanceof TileCell)
		return ((TileCell) tile).getGeneration();

return -1;
}
---

Really, what makes the dandelifeon overpowered is the ability to interfere with the game board before and during the Game of Life simulation. If the simulation refused to run because of the presence of non-cell blocks on the board, it'd tone down its power quite a bit. Additionally, store the generational info on the flower's tile entity itself, rather than in each cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

If I can bother you guys for some Thaumcraft help: I'm progressing through the research nicely, but it's the crafting that I have trouble with - I never seem to have the right vis for what I want to craft.

Right now I'm just flying around using a jetpack, trying to find nodes and draining them with my crappy iron wand, looking for the right stuff to upgrade it to a crappy copper wand. I've seen a ton of guides on how to progress through the reasearch, but none on how to get the vis you want.

Also, is there a way to drain the wand of vis or maybe place the appropriate vis in the arcane workbench? I have two wands but none have the combination of the vis I want to use.

This mod is fun but can be frustrating.

Make a gold-capped greatwood wand like yesterday. Iron capped wooden wands will destroy aspects on nodes if you drain them all the way. With a better wand, you can drain the node dry, but it will still regenerate over time. A better wand will also have more internal vis storage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do note that gold-capped greatwood wands only preserve nodes if you research the "node preservation" node in the basic tab. Go down the left-hand side of the screen until you get it.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, I did see all that in the research notes. I'm actually doing a lot of the research real fast - turns out a lot of the blocks from MFR, Thermal Expansion and Mekanism are scannable and give you a ton of research points.

Like I said - my problem is the wand and gathering vis. For example, I filled my starter wand to the brim with Aqua vis from one node and I have no way to use it, so I just created two more - one to check which node gives what and the other to gather the vis necessary to build the next wand.

So far, the only tip I found is to search in the ocean, as the nodes are easier to see there. Thank God for Journey Map and namable waypoints. Can't wait till I can just bottle them up and make a proper wizard workshop in my patchwork of a Base.

e: fat fingers

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Been playing the Space Astronomy pack on Curse for a while, and earlier the game crashed while I was down near bedrock. When I entered my world again, I lagged (seriously wtf, it's single player I shouldn't be able to lag) through bedrock and died in the void, and then I discovered that keep inventory was not on. What the loving christ. That is such bullshit... I just added the keep inventory mod so I don't have to go through that again. It seriously should be enabled by default...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Uh. Are you not using the thaumometer like at all on nodes? :stare:

Not to mention you can stick 2 thaumometers to make thaum goggles so you can make the node search easier.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Not to mention that just because you're full up on one element that doesn't mean you can't draw the others.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Wait, I thought you needed additional vis to build the goggles?

And if you can fill up on different types of vis - does that mean I have only encountered aqua nodes in the ocean biome?

I'm basically just starting with this thing and it sometimes seems very overwhelming, especially compared to tech mods. It is fun, just getting the resources seems to be a much bigger pain in the butt than the fifty metric tonnes of copper I usually end up with.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's sort of a hassle, but the OP has it right - get a boat, make those goggles if possible and just roam the seas, especially at night. The nodes are all over the place, but sometimes it's a pita finding ones with all the types that you need.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

And if you can fill up on different types of vis - does that mean I have only encountered aqua nodes in the ocean biome?

If aqua is the only primal aspect you have stored, then aqua is the only primal aspect you have encountered. Once you reach a point where you can actually pick up nodes and relocate them around a charging pedestal, you will be able add a feature which will also allow you to benefit from compound aspects.

Early game, Aer (air), Aqua (water), Ignis (fire), Terra (earth), Ordo (order), and Perditio (entropy) are the ones you should be looking to find. Anywhere with a lot of flat open space is decent for tracking them down. From what I have seen, what they contain does not tend to be biome specific.

Bhodi posted:

It's sort of a hassle, but the OP has it right - get a boat, make those goggles if possible and just roam the seas, especially at night. The nodes are all over the place, but sometimes it's a pita finding ones with all the types that you need.

Ocean, desert, even the huge lava lakes in the nether if you have a jetpack or feel like making some cobble bridges.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 4, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, if you're trying to get enough vis to make a 150 storage wand, the ocean is your best bet because one tentacle is basically death at that stage in the game.

I think I'm "done" with blightfall, I cleared bronze in everything but I don't think I'm going to solo clear the land. Just not gonna happen.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So, uh, has anyone else had Botania endoflames transform blocks into other blocks? I'm using underground biome constructs for the extra stone variety and every time I feed my Endoflames a small random number of the blue schist stairs in my base transform into gneiss stairs. It's only the stairs and its only when I feed the Endoflames.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Well, if you're trying to get enough vis to make a 150 storage wand, the ocean is your best bet because one tentacle is basically death at that stage in the game.

I think I'm "done" with blightfall, I cleared bronze in everything but I don't think I'm going to solo clear the land. Just not gonna happen.

Cheat yourself in a completion medal & see the village. You earned it, honestly.

EDIT: Also I'm 90% sure the poster you were responding to isn't playing blightfall.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Yeah, I did see all that in the research notes. I'm actually doing a lot of the research real fast - turns out a lot of the blocks from MFR, Thermal Expansion and Mekanism are scannable and give you a ton of research points.

Like I said - my problem is the wand and gathering vis. For example, I filled my starter wand to the brim with Aqua vis from one node and I have no way to use it, so I just created two more - one to check which node gives what and the other to gather the vis necessary to build the next wand.

So far, the only tip I found is to search in the ocean, as the nodes are easier to see there. Thank God for Journey Map and namable waypoints. Can't wait till I can just bottle them up and make a proper wizard workshop in my patchwork of a Base.

e: fat fingers

Wait, why are you using wands to check what nodes have? HOW are you doing that, by draining them and seeing what you get? Vis types drain randomly from nodes so that's not a good idea at all. You can see what aspects a node has via the thaumometer, after scanning it. Use THAT to see what a node has. If it tells you that you need to research some aspect, that means the node has an advanced compound aspect in it and you should try again later. Most nodes do not have compound aspects in them. When they do, they can be useful as energized nodes, or you can use the advanced wand recharge pedestal to utilize the compound vis as a sort of wildcard.

Like others have said, you should just skip directly to a greatwood+gold wand. Copper caps are crap just like iron caps, and greatwood is the first type of core you can make that works with Node Preservation.

Also, you can kill mobs while the wand is in your hotbar, and the wand will absorb bits of vis that the mobs are affiliated with. Ignis is rare and creepers are the most common mob that drops it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

Cheat yourself in a completion medal & see the village. You earned it, honestly.

EDIT: Also I'm 90% sure the poster you were responding to isn't playing blightfall.

Whoops, I'm following both threads and lost track.

Yeah I'll check out the village tomorrow. It'd be nice if you could detect solo play and adjust accordingly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

If I can bother you guys for some Thaumcraft help: I'm progressing through the research nicely, but it's the crafting that I have trouble with - I never seem to have the right vis for what I want to craft.

Right now I'm just flying around using a jetpack, trying to find nodes and draining them with my crappy iron wand, looking for the right stuff to upgrade it to a crappy copper wand. I've seen a ton of guides on how to progress through the reasearch, but none on how to get the vis you want.

Also, is there a way to drain the wand of vis or maybe place the appropriate vis in the arcane workbench? I have two wands but none have the combination of the vis I want to use.

This mod is fun but can be frustrating.

Beat up mobs and then wave your dick wand around. The little orbs are vis.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Hey guys, I'm looking for a stable and simple mod that adds boats to the game. I'm playing with my nephew, he's 8 and loves pirate ships, any recommendations?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a stable and simple mod that adds boats to the game. I'm playing with my nephew, he's 8 and loves pirate ships, any recommendations?

Small boats mod.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a mod pack that has some rarity to ores but runs you through Everything. Like I want it to teach me AE2, Botania, Nuclear Reactors, Blood Magic, Thermal Expansion, and everything else. I loved blightfall, but there are some huge gaps in my minecraft modder knowledge. Is there a mod pack with a huge amount of quests that runs you through everything? (Something more up to date then BSR)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a mod pack that has some rarity to ores but runs you through Everything. Like I want it to teach me AE2, Botania, Nuclear Reactors, Blood Magic, Thermal Expansion, and everything else. I loved blightfall, but there are some huge gaps in my minecraft modder knowledge. Is there a mod pack with a huge amount of quests that runs you through everything? (Something more up to date then BSR)

Obscurity seems to. I'm familiar with almost all the mods so I'm kinda skipping around the questlines but it seems like it guides you through building all the basics with all the major mods, including BR, TE, EnderIO, Thaumcraft, and AE2 and others. Botania and blood magic are not in it though. It has waaaayyyyyyyy more quests than Blightfall. Blightfall kinda held your hand through the first couple hours and then was like "figure it out" with a couple pointers. Obscurity gives you tons of quests along the way.

Generally ores are common in the modpack (it's based in the deep dark) but a ton of stuff is gated behind a custom ore from the pack and it carries a similar feeling of oppression and a hostile world that Blightfall does. It's really difficult to light up areas and if you're in the dark too long you'll start taking damage. Really fast.

Compact machines is a staple of the pack but I'd avoid overusing them if you play it. Popping in and out of compact machines constantly, while really nifty and cool, starts to make your client lag like crazy in no time

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is Skyfactory 2 specifically designed to be a mindnumbingly tedious grind?

To make the most basic of things I have to place hundreds of cobblestone blocks, break them all with a hammer, sift the gravel then combine all the broken ore, place the resulting block, break the block, combine the result of that, place it, break it, then combine the result of that, place it, then break it, then smelt it all only to find I'm one ingot short and then repeat the entire process again.

I have to be missing something here, surely?

I was recently playing factorysky 2 on a server.

Its a bit of a grind to start then we just sort of take off
I would have liked to have automated stuff but the stupid server bans the following - All Wrenches and Crescent Hammer (so Ender IO , Buildcraft, and AE2 are essentially unusable)
Autonomous Activators are banned - you would use this to automate the hammering of the cobble and use a piston system to push the cobble in there.
its quite easy - if you have botania you can use stuff like hopperhocks to pick up items.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Thanks for all the Thaumcraft tips guys!

I figured out part of the problem - seems when you are in a boat the thaumometer only wants scan the boat, so ocean node hunting was limited to trial and error. Now that I managed to scavenge all of the vis I needed from mob drops, I got the goggles and turns out by some chance nearly all of the nodes I found were full of aqua and that's why I thought you could only fill up on one type of vis. Scanning them all now while hovering with a jetpack.

I think I am getting the hang of it, but I couldn't have done it without your suggestions. Next up: putting together a Big Reactor upside down! :science:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Thanks for all the Thaumcraft tips guys!

I figured out part of the problem - seems when you are in a boat the thaumometer only wants scan the boat, so ocean node hunting was limited to trial and error. Now that I managed to scavenge all of the vis I needed from mob drops, I got the goggles and turns out by some chance nearly all of the nodes I found were full of aqua and that's why I thought you could only fill up on one type of vis. Scanning them all now while hovering with a jetpack.

I think I am getting the hang of it, but I couldn't have done it without your suggestions. Next up: putting together a Big Reactor upside down! :science:

Don't forget you have to make EVERYTHING in Thaumcraft balanced, If you have it perfectly balanced front back and left right you will have generating aspects in the research table - if unbalanced you may actually lose some aspects

And specially the infusion altar has to be balanced.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Don't forget you have to make EVERYTHING in Thaumcraft balanced, If you have it perfectly balanced front back and left right you will have generating aspects in the research table - if unbalanced you may actually lose some aspects

This is wrong. Bookshelves and crystal clusters can be anywhere near a research table in any placement to generate ghost points, and you will never lose research points.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Taffer posted:

Obscurity seems to. I'm familiar with almost all the mods so I'm kinda skipping around the questlines but it seems like it guides you through building all the basics with all the major mods, including BR, TE, EnderIO, Thaumcraft, and AE2 and others. Botania and blood magic are not in it though. It has waaaayyyyyyyy more quests than Blightfall. Blightfall kinda held your hand through the first couple hours and then was like "figure it out" with a couple pointers. Obscurity gives you tons of quests along the way.

Generally ores are common in the modpack (it's based in the deep dark) but a ton of stuff is gated behind a custom ore from the pack and it carries a similar feeling of oppression and a hostile world that Blightfall does. It's really difficult to light up areas and if you're in the dark too long you'll start taking damage. Really fast.

Compact machines is a staple of the pack but I'd avoid overusing them if you play it. Popping in and out of compact machines constantly, while really nifty and cool, starts to make your client lag like crazy in no time

Obscurity might be neat with a group, but as a solo experience, especially for people who aren't super familiar with the mods, it's a miserable death-fest unless you know what you're doing. I'm not sure it's a good idea for a modpack as a way to learn how to use mods - most of my early experience was getting knocked down the pit and losing all my items when trying to dig up loot or having lava creatures oneshot me, while trying to futilely slab every single place a monster could spawn, or getting skeletoned to death while trying to chop down a single tree near your useless interdiction torch.

Honestly, encouraging players to work near the pit for easy mining only to have it to be an item-loss death trap seems like a big part of the problem of the early game though. It'd be fine if every single goddamn drop of magma didn't spawn turbodeath magma monsters though (I tried walling off the top of the pit only to be unpleasantly surprised when the magma monsters showed up inside it).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah you're way better off just digging into the ground near the pit and hollowing out some space. Even before the lava death monsters were a thing, building in the pit was very much a high risk low reward activity.

Once you get established it does a good job walking you through a lot of stuff. Imo it should probably start you with a small base instead of chucking you into the darkness with an interdiction torch and saying "GOOD LUCK FUCKER!" Don't be afraid to switch to creative to punch a hole in the ground and set your interdiction torch down if you're having trouble getting a foothold.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 6, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I only played obscurity until they patched out all the exploits I was using for lighting (mostly lava and sawn up glowstone blocks). It's OK, but as with most hostile minecraft packs it pretty much reduces to "dig hole, never leave".

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I felt like the exploration quests had really good rewards that appropriately rewarded trekking hundreds of meters and setting up outposts for light and shelter along the way, but yeah most of the game is dig hole never leave.

If people are okay with spitballing ideas, what would you guys do to make a hostile minecraft pack that doesn't reduce to 'dig hole, never leave?'

Doing diverse resources that are location specific (something Blightfall did, with pretty good results, though I would have tweaked a couple things) is a good start. Something like Thaumcraft nodes, except more fewer and more important (think more like Ley Lines - big ley lines are a huge deal in most settings where they're mentioned, and a lot of times characters have to go to a ley line to get the results they want from a magic ritual) would also be cool.

Also most hostile world mods are very flat in how hostile they are - having some kind of risk-reward tradeoff of escalating danger for escalating rewards would be interesting. Whether it's that certain important, high end resources are only available in a particularly dangerous biome or just ore rates increase with biome hostility, it'd be really interesting.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Magres posted:

Yeah you're way better off just digging into the ground near the pit and hollowing out some space. Even before the lava death monsters were a thing, building in the pit was very much a high risk low reward activity.

Once you get established it does a good job walking you through a lot of stuff. Imo it should probably start you with a small base instead of chucking you into the darkness with an interdiction torch and saying "GOOD LUCK FUCKER!" Don't be afraid to switch to creative to punch a hole in the ground and set your interdiction torch down if you're having trouble getting a foothold.

The torch eventually becomes a fun way to knock monsters into a spike filled pit for farming.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Magres posted:

I felt like the exploration quests had really good rewards that appropriately rewarded trekking hundreds of meters and setting up outposts for light and shelter along the way, but yeah most of the game is dig hole never leave.

I used a jetpack and a hang glider, so the only difficult part of exploration was breaking the cube and having the fucker ping off into the darkness at a million miles an hour.

Magres posted:

If people are okay with spitballing ideas, what would you guys do to make a hostile minecraft pack that doesn't reduce to 'dig hole, never leave?'

ME^3 is probably the best I've seen before blightfall, and that was essentially a series of set piece battles with pauses to build up equipment in between.

One day I plan to make a mod where a giant wall of death sweeps gradually across the world, wrecking everything it touches. The plan would be to try and complete quests and get loot from dungeons, but without the ability to have any sort of permanent base. I'll probably never get around to it though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had pondered setting up Terrafirmcraft as some kind of zombie survival mod. The player would have to fine a safe base some number of kilometers away in any arbitrary direction, probably from piecing together clues like radio signals and notes. At points they'd have to stay put to look for stuff, but the zombies grow stronger every night, and being to be able to knock through stuff. It would not really be a tech up kind of modpack though, but mostly just a distilled survival experience.

For a tech survival mod, the trick really seems to be creating a linear progression with an illusion of nonlinear progression. I think some of the issue with Blightfall right now is not really knowing what I should be doing next. I had pondered making a "Baby's Last Space Race" pack at some point, but I couldn't figure out an elegant way to heap on the difficulty. One thing that would work is trigger some progression in the pack to cause every night have a blood moon or something like that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think the best way to deal with "dig hole -> never leave" would be to make nasties that can burrow or knock blocks around. The issue there is that that leads to frustration as they ruin things the player painstakingly built. You can deal with that by making some stuff indestructible but then it becomes a game of "make an indestructible cube nothing can spawn within." Even then you still end up with the typical Minecraft end game of "I am unkillable and can grind mobs forever with no effort."

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolfsbane posted:

One day I plan to make a mod where a giant wall of death sweeps gradually across the world, wrecking everything it touches. The plan would be to try and complete quests and get loot from dungeons, but without the ability to have any sort of permanent base. I'll probably never get around to it though.

Giant wall of death? Sounds like the apocalyptic type of grey goo in the grey goo mod.

What would prevent you from simply moving away so that the wall of death isn't chunkloaded anymore?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the best way to deal with "dig hole -> never leave" would be to make nasties that can burrow or knock blocks around. The issue there is that that leads to frustration as they ruin things the player painstakingly built. You can deal with that by making some stuff indestructible but then it becomes a game of "make an indestructible cube nothing can spawn within." Even then you still end up with the typical Minecraft end game of "I am unkillable and can grind mobs forever with no effort."

A new FTB pack just came out called Banished which has mobs sortof like that. Unfortunately the pathing on them is really dumb and they can't break through smoothstone(wow, if a zombie has a pickaxe, they CAN tunnel to you) so they'll probably just wind up clustering in a tunnel next to wherever you are, possibly placing blocks right on top of other mobs also futilely pathing to you, suffocating them.

Banished needs some config tweaking as well, since specialmobs is in it and things like Drowning Creepers aren't disabled.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 6, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chunks are "infected" based on a time limit, you have 24 hours to complete the modpack, or you're hosed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As far as encouraging people to explore more, I really like the fixed-size, finite world of Blightfall with pre-seeded goodies and hidden things everywhere. Even if it was random, I honestly think that any pack with the goal of having content to progress through and explore rather than just be a giant lego canvas would probably do better with a finite world with a higher density of dungeon-like structures and interesting biomes. For example, on Regrowth right now I sit in my little base right now for pretty much ever, since although random structures and such can generate, in an infinitely large borderless world they are all most likely in the rear end end of nowhere a 30 minute walk among almost-identical wastelands away. It's just not worth the effort to explore the dangerous, skeleton infested wastelands for essentially complete gambling that will most likely give you crap. You could easily make the world a bit bigger than blightfall, but having specific regions laid out in a sensible manner with a rough world map visible made exploring and treasure hunting more enjoyable.

From there, you'd want to make each region to give you some sort of resource that would give you a reason to go there repeatedly. As much as dangerous worlds are nice, having a base is nice too and so is not losing all your items when block destroying mobs fall in - so the best way is to force people to go out rather than stay in. Making monsters that are difficulty to trap easily via teleportation or walking through blocks is probably better than actually destroying blocks.

As far as resources that force people to leave their bases, there's a couple of maybe options - you could have a planet with a hostile atmosphere or deep space or the void where you need to go out and collect difficult or impossible to automate resources to keep the air supply running OR alternatively some sort of resource that kept unpleasant and dangerous monsters from swarming your base. Another possible path you could take is to lock key resources to moving up your 'tech tree' so to speak in different regions, that become renewable once you get past that initial challenge.

In the case of something like Blightfall, you could make cleaning the world more interesting while simultaneously encouraging more exploration by having partially pre-built but broken/powerless giant multiblock dawn machine/dungeons that you have to seek out, clean out of baddies, and fix to finish cleaning that whole region of blight all at once once you've gotten past the hurdle of clearing out and repairing a giant machine instead of methodically combing back and forth with a dawn machine. The best part of Blightfall was the exploring bit so making blightfall be part of that might be cool. Plus, you'd have larger clean regions earlier instead of taint cleaning being almost entirely pointless until the very end.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 6, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I feel like a good expansion on blightfall's concept of "a fixed world that you explore for goodies" might be a mystcraft modpack where there's a main "puzzle world" that's made mostly out of indestructible blocks you solve puzzles on in order to gain access to books containing worlds that you can actually interact with.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

President Ark posted:

I feel like a good expansion on blightfall's concept of "a fixed world that you explore for goodies" might be a mystcraft modpack where there's a main "puzzle world" that's made mostly out of indestructible blocks you solve puzzles on in order to gain access to books containing worlds that you can actually interact with.

This sounds very Material Energy but I like the whole idea anyway, so, yeah.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

This is wrong. Bookshelves and crystal clusters can be anywhere near a research table in any placement to generate ghost points, and you will never lose research points.

I have seen it happen,

on modsauce I had an unbalanced setup and my aer went down from 245 to 12 over time (i had chunk loaders)

Balanced it gave me about 200 of everything (and use mixed crystal clusters )

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I have seen it happen,

on modsauce I had an unbalanced setup and my aer went down from 245 to 12 over time (i had chunk loaders)

Balanced it gave me about 200 of everything (and use mixed crystal clusters )

Considering clusters and bookshelves are explicitly described as ONLY giving ghost points, I suspect that some other mod is responsible for that nonsense. How did you even get 245 Aer? Was the cap set to 500 or something, and you decided to go scan like a hundred nodes?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Considering clusters and bookshelves are explicitly described as ONLY giving ghost points, I suspect that some other mod is responsible for that nonsense. How did you even get 245 Aer? Was the cap set to 500 or something, and you decided to go scan like a hundred nodes?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Well if you look at the source the TE for the research table has this method
code:
  private void recalculateBonus() {

in it, it calculates bonus points to be added (in this method)

code:
        for(var3 = 0; var3 < var2.func_74745_c(); ++var3) {
            var4 = var2.func_150305_b(var3);
            String var6 = var4.func_74779_i("tag");
            if(Aspect.getAspect(var6) != null) {
                this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.getAspect(var6), 1);
            }
        }
If you really want to read it here is the whole method showing that it uses crystals and other stuff to add bonus points.

code:
   private void recalculateBonus() {
        if(!this.field_145850_b.func_72935_r() && this.field_145850_b.func_72957_l(this.field_145851_c, this.field_145848_d + 1, this.field_145849_e) < 4 && !this.field_145850_b.func_72937_j(this.field_145851_c, this.field_145848_d + 1, this.field_145849_e) && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
            this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.ENTROPY, 1);
        }

if((float)this.field_145848_d > (float)this.field_145850_b.func_72940_L() * 0.5F && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
            this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.AIR, 1);
        }

if((float)this.field_145848_d > (float)this.field_145850_b.func_72940_L() * 0.66F && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
        }

if((float)this.field_145848_d > (float)this.field_145850_b.func_72940_L() * 0.75F && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
        }

for(int x = -8; x <= 8; ++x) {
            for(int z = -8; z <= 8; ++z) {
                for(int y = -8; y <= 8; ++y) {
                    if(y + this.field_145848_d > 0 && y + this.field_145848_d < this.field_145850_b.func_72940_L()) {
                        Block bi = this.field_145850_b.func_147439_a(x + this.field_145851_c, y + this.field_145848_d, z + this.field_145849_e);
                        int md = this.field_145850_b.func_72805_g(x + this.field_145851_c, y + this.field_145848_d, z + this.field_145849_e);
                        Material bm = bi.func_149688_o();
                        if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCustomOre && md == 1) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.AIR) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCrystal && md == 0) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.AIR) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(10) == 0) {
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bm == Material.field_151581_o || bm == Material.field_151587_i || bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCustomOre && md == 2) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.FIRE) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                                this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.FIRE, 1);
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCrystal && md == 1) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.FIRE) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(10) == 0) {
                                this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.FIRE, 1);
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bm == Material.field_151578_c) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.EARTH) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                                this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.EARTH, 1);
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCustomOre && md == 4) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.EARTH) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCrystal && md == 3) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.EARTH) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(10) == 0) {
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bm == Material.field_151586_h) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.WATER) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(15) == 0) {
                                this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.WATER, 1);
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCustomOre && md == 3) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.WATER) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCrystal && md == 2) {
                            if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.WATER) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(10) == 0) {
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(bm != Material.field_151594_q && bm != Material.field_76233_E) {
                            if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCustomOre && md == 5) {
                                if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.ORDER) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                                    this.bonusAspects.merge(Aspect.ORDER, 1);
                                    return;
                                }
                            } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCrystal && md == 4) {
                                if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.ORDER) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(10) == 0) {
                                    return;
                                }
                            } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCustomOre && md == 6) {
                                if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.ENTROPY) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                                    return;
                                }
                            } else if(bi == ConfigBlocks.blockCrystal && md == 5 && this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.ENTROPY) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(10) == 0) {
                                return;
                            }
                        } else if(this.bonusAspects.getAmount(Aspect.ORDER) < 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(20) == 0) {
                            return;
                        }

if(bi == Blocks.field_150342_X && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(300) == 0 || bi == ConfigBlocks.blockJar && md == 1 && this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(200) == 0) {
                            Aspect[] aspects = new Aspect[0];
                            aspects = (Aspect[])Aspect.aspects.values().toArray(aspects);
                            this.bonusAspects.merge(aspects[this.field_145850_b.field_73012_v.nextInt(aspects.length)], 1);
                            return;
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }

}