Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yannos posted:

He's basically what happens when a music forum troll gets a youtube outlet. I loved it when he posted some song he and his buddies created (some Anime song cover about Mongols?). It was poorly played and out of tune in many places so it got tore apart by his audience and he took it offline.

In his last video about the Spider II I'm the guy who gets called a whiny baby in the beginning because I asked "why bother reviewing a 12 year old modelling amp when that technology has advanced so much since then"

he probably reviewed it because so many dudes have that amp and he's sick of seeing it at local shows so he wants to make fun of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i know that you guys are talking about the fat obnoxious guy from "SMG studios" without even having to check because for some reason youtube thinks that I would love his videos and they keep suggesting them to me

no I don't want to hear jokes about bass players or unfunny things that you pretend that people have texted to you, go away fatso

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
"If this is all you can afford then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you're just playing small gigs for other bands and your girlfriends, which is a lot of you, this is a perfectly fine amp."

There, that should be the tagline of that review.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been spammed by that guy's videos by Youtube. He has some points sometimes, but it's mostly poo poo that almost anyone who plays an instrument would know, like "knowing how to play is more important than the logo on your headstock". Except he yells it, so it's more true when he says it or something.
How does he have 100,000 followers?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

kjetting posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been spammed by that guy's videos by Youtube. He has some points sometimes, but it's mostly poo poo that almost anyone who plays an instrument would know, like "knowing how to play is more important than the logo on your headstock". Except he yells it, so it's more true when he says it or something.
How does he have 100,000 followers?

Because there are more critics than players these days and this guy speaks their language. He's got his head way up his rear end and I'd swear he's posted here a few times because his "gear doesn't matter" stance is ridiculous. If he ever has a good point it gets swallowed up by his hideous flapping jowls that never stop yelling. Assuming there is an up and coming player that might be influenced by his dumb rear end, I can't really say he's anything but poison to the scene.

*sits in front of a super expensive rack and a couple of 5150's* "You don't need expensive gear"

This is why you need expensive gear -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQJohVJaceM

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Ha ha, what the gently caress is even happening in that video??

With regards to that guys Line 6 "review"; He's doing it because the most attention he's got so far is a similarly scathing (and accurate tbf) review of the Mesa Cab Clone. So now I guess he want's to do a whole series of videos making GBS threads on gear. If dumping on Line 6 modelling amps is the best he can come up with though then he's obviously grasping at straws.

I mean he's not wrong about a lot of things, particularly regarding the retarded behaviour of some musicians. However he takes the Heavy Metal Comic Book Guy persona way too far

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

loooooooooool

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bill Posters posted:

Ha ha, what the gently caress is even happening in that video??

the pit ninjas are coming from inside the stage

Bill Posters posted:

With regards to that guys Line 6 "review"; He's doing it because the most attention he's got so far is a similarly scathing (and accurate tbf) review of the Mesa Cab Clone. So now I guess he want's to do a whole series of videos making GBS threads on gear. If dumping on Line 6 modelling amps is the best he can come up with though then he's obviously grasping at straws.

iirc that came about because the fruitcakes at andertons who spend 30 minutes playing grabass with each other and thirty seconds demoing gear did an honest review of the cab clone, then mesa bitched to high heaven and they made a new video saying it wasn't so bad

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

comes along bort posted:

they made a new video saying it wasn't so bad

That video is possibly the most awkward thing those two have ever done. And just to be clear how awkward that is, I am talking about these guys:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

People just won't stop trying to do that whip-the-guitar-around-yourself thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eFlCuMqJSw

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bill Posters posted:

That video is possibly the most awkward thing those two have ever done. And just to be clear how awkward that is, I am talking about these guys:

Anderton looks like he's squeezing out a particularly spikey poo poo

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
To be fair, even if the Spider II is old news, it's still relevant and a very popular first amp for novice players who want one that does "everything".
Still, being so widespread means that most guitarists already have an opinion on it, and doing a review of it is really preaching to the choir.

comes along bort posted:

iirc that came about because the fruitcakes at andertons who spend 30 minutes playing grabass with each other and thirty seconds demoing gear did an honest review of the cab clone, then mesa bitched to high heaven and they made a new video saying it wasn't so bad

The really fun thing is when the youtube superstars get endorsement deals and make "reviews" of their new gear, while still trying to appear fair and unbiased. And talking about unBIASed, the new BIAS FX from Positive Grid has 5 million easily navigatable presets and can model any amp perfectly while giving you a blowjob! 5 stars! No, 7 out of 5!!! It's totally worth every dollar I didn't pay for it!!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

kjetting posted:

The really fun thing is when the youtube superstars get endorsement deals and make "reviews" of their new gear, while still trying to appear fair and unbiased. And talking about unBIASed, the new BIAS FX from Positive Grid has 5 million easily navigatable presets and can model any amp perfectly while giving you a blowjob! 5 stars! No, 7 out of 5!!! It's totally worth every dollar I didn't pay for it!!

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses while giving disproportionately less attention to information that contradicts it.[30] The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

tacodaemon posted:

lmao. People should buy strap locks. It's cheap and useful even if you don't throw your guitar around.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Bill Posters posted:

retarded behaviour of some musicians.

That SMG studio guy is a bit tiresome with his "internet angry man rarrr bassists are cunts" stuff, but some musicians are painful to deal with. Really, really painful. I had a guy show up at 11:30pm to pick up his guitar, he was supposed to pick it up at 2pm. At least he said sorry and overpaid me, I guess.

Those Anderton guys are a loving yeast infection though.

e:

cosmo321 posted:

lmao. People should buy strap locks. It's cheap and useful even if you don't throw your guitar around.

But strap locks suck your tone because the extra metal takes the harmonic resonance from the strings, that's why Gibson and Fender don't use them you see.
:suicide:

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 6, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
go whole hog: bolts with threaded inserts, couple washers for each side of the strap, loctite for the bolt

you'll have to rip the body apart to remove the strap

White Dog Eggs posted:

That SMG studio guy is a bit tiresome with his "internet angry man rarrr bassists are cunts" stuff, but some musicians are painful to deal with. Really, really painful.

the thing that bugs me about most of his stuff is he's punching down by ranting about dumbass kids who don't know poo poo about poo poo yet because they're just starting out

making fun of beginners in any activity is just lovely. the people he should be making stupid videos about are his fellow worthless jerkoffs like the tone king, who somehow manages to get companies to send him stuff and interview legit musicians despite making demos that look like taliban hostage footage filmed in a broom closet even after years of practice

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 6, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I want to start a "So you want to learn how to play metal?" video series that's just "get a good distortion pedal and any cheapo practice amp, get your guitar set up by a professional, learn your poo poo and know music theory, never think too seriously, practice practice practice,"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Bill Posters posted:

I like the video where they "prove" tonewood is real

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

I want to start a "So you want to learn how to play metal?" video series that's just "get a good distortion pedal and any cheapo practice amp, get your guitar set up by a professional, learn your poo poo and know music theory, never think too seriously, practice practice practice,"

a better piece of advice would be learn songwriting because almost no modern metal band* can write a memorable song

*and most bands in general

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

a better piece of advice would be learn songwriting because almost no modern metal band* can write a memorable song

*and most bands in general

Sometimes less notes is better. I was nerding out on exhumed and saw this :

quote:

Over the years of their existence, Exhumed's approach to songwriting has become increasingly traditional in its structure. Main songwriter Matt Harvey said:
On any song that we're writing, the first thing I think is, "Where's the chorus? What's the chorus? Where's the hook?" Then we've got something to build around. I'm very into the regular pop format of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus and variations thereof. To me, the chorus has to be the thing that grabs me and hooks me in – especially in death metal, because there's no vocal melody. Yeah, you've got riffs, but you have to have something to hook the listener in, to bring them back, to keep them listening again and again and again. That's really the goal, to create music that I would want to listen to five years later. For me, it's all about choruses and trying to write catchy songs.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumed_(band)

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The band I had on my radio show yesterday had to borrow some gear because of travel issues. Here's what I was able to scrape together for their guitarist.

How dumb is this

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ferroque posted:

The band I had on my radio show yesterday had to borrow some gear because of travel issues. Here's what I was able to scrape together for their guitarist.

How dumb is this

They might need a tube screamer in front but that's perfectly reasonable.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Oh it sounded perfectly fine but it's just the visual contrast of the tiniest head I've ever seen and the largest 4x12 in the world that I enjoy

It was really fun moving that thing around in my tiny corolla

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
despite being like the inverse of big head mode in goldeneye 64 that's a sick rig

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i like the guys from Andertons because they are both really positive and seem like nice guys, but they don't offer much useful information about products beyond just demoing them. I saw a video the other day where they went to the Thomann's warehouse and it was kind of interesting

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Youtube reviewers are near universally junk. Chapman is pleasant enough but they do spend more time grabassing than playing music. They're not demoing anymore, they're Top Gear for musicians and about half as entertaining as that sounds.

Phil X is a monster player but could benefit from shutting the hell up and guitaring occasionally. He's a good singer but there's literally no context where you singing an entire song that you half remember the lyrics to will improve a demo.

Just do 5 minute reviews, with 30 seconds to a minute of explaining the thing being reviewed, then a few samples of sounds you can get with a recognisable riff thrown in, and then a minute of a sound in context over a backing track. If you want to be flash throw another shot up on a split screen so we can see the settings. It's not loving rocket science.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

darkwasthenight posted:

Just do 5 minute reviews, with 30 seconds to a minute of explaining the thing being reviewed, then a few samples of sounds you can get with a recognisable riff thrown in, and then a minute of a sound in context over a backing track. If you want to be flash throw another shot up on a split screen so we can see the settings. It's not loving rocket science.

B...b..but that would mean having to learn to play guitar.

"Top Gear for musicians" sounds pretty awesome in theory, but the reason Top Gear works is the hosts and their combination of knowledge, humor, charm and chemistry. It's also the reason American Top Gear is nowhere near as good as British Top Gear and the reason most Youtube gear reviewers should shut up.

I watch a lot of youtube demos for effect pedals and stuff, and I hate having to skip past ten minutes of talking to get to 15 seconds of lovely playing. If I consider buying something I want to hear what it sounds like, and I want to hear some different settings so I get some idea of what it can do.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

darkwasthenight posted:

Youtube reviewers are near universally junk. Chapman is pleasant enough but they do spend more time grabassing than playing music. They're not demoing anymore, they're Top Gear for musicians and about half as entertaining as that sounds.

Phil X is a monster player but could benefit from shutting the hell up and guitaring occasionally. He's a good singer but there's literally no context where you singing an entire song that you half remember the lyrics to will improve a demo.

Gearmandude

little talk, just "here's this thing with this guitar and this amp, maybe a tidbit about the thing, ok time to play" then he plays the thing while messing with settings. No shot of his face, no gabbing, or at least it used to be idk anymore

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
unfortunately he only knows like five bluesdad licks

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think my favorite "review" is effectology, which is a guy that takes EHX pedals and makes crazy rear end noises with them

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

unfortunately he only knows like five bluesdad licks

Perfect for 90% of guitar players

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Chuck Berry, the David Gilmour, the Eddie Tap, the Hendrix, the Page Sensual Bend, and the Crossroads

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Chappers and the Captain are pretty bad reviewers who are really one-note in what they play, and whose videos are waaaaaaaaay too long. At least they're enthusiastic, tho.

I like watching PGS Andy's reviews when I want someone reading the ad copy for a product but who actually makes the product sound like the ad copy and seems to get a really wide range of settings into a short timeframe (bonus: plays a lot of QotSA).

When I just want to watch cool pedal videos I watch something from Knobs or Brendan Mowat-Smith.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Perfect for 90% of guitar players

:drat:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

I think my favorite "review" is effectology, which is a guy that takes EHX pedals and makes crazy rear end noises with them

i think I saw one of these with their timer pedal that you can use to set the tempo on other things. pretty straightforward demo with some really goofy sounds

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

The Chuck Berry, the David Gilmour, the Eddie Tap, the Hendrix, the Page Sensual Bend, and the Crossroads

just to see if he still sucks as much as he did a couple years ago (he does) i looked up a recent tone king youtube and he's trying to do sweeps now

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
balls revealed on stream

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

just to see if he still sucks as much as he did a couple years ago (he does) i looked up a recent tone king youtube and he's trying to do sweeps now

lmao

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

tacodaemon posted:

Your average strap can't do it. Even expensive straps may not be up for a flip, even if you put strap locks on. Yngwie uses nylon straps and reinforces them with electrical tape at the points where they typically break. Dunlop markets those straps as ClipLock. I used to flip my YJM quite a bit but I switched to the Planet Waves joe satriani straps because I just get a kick out of how they look

And those definitely will not hold up if you flip your guitar with it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

muike posted:

That guy is great, shows a really wide range of things you can get out of a pedal. EHX have fairly decent demos; even the old Peter Stroud stuff was OK because he actually showed some usable sounds alongside the wacky poo poo and he could make it all sound great. These two are comprehensive and interesting, they should be paying him to do a bunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnj2oU8MYCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs3pyg019mw

Gives you a good idea of what the pedal does in context, shows you how to get the settings and it's interesting all the way through. If he did one a fortnight focusing in different pedals they'd be selling them like hot cakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I've always liked JustNickMusic as he's less talky than most and usually just starts out with what you want to hear and then talks and adjusts. A lot more information than a Chappers review.

Here's a random
http://youtu.be/OOKhlLJy_M4

• Locked thread