Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe you should have backed Oculus Rift on kickstarter then

it's not cyberpunk until it jacks directly into my brain and/or eyeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Malcolm Turnbull’s dispatch of Tony Abbott from the prime ministership settled a score that had been festering from the moment Abbott became opposition leader. They are very different people.

Unlike conservative Abbott, Turnbull appeals to the fashionable Left. He is a postmodern kind of guy, more at home in inner-city cafes than in budgie smugglers and firefighting uniforms.

In no time, Turnbull has signalled his soft liberal credentials. Tax increases for the rich are back on the table. The Renewable Energy Finance Corporation has been given an immediate reprieve with a new board and new ideas for wasting money.

Climate change policies are ­receiving fresh attention. The ­Bureau of Meteorology has been freed of accountability and can now peddle its dubious data without scrutiny.

University spending cuts have been deferred and fees have ­escaped competitive tension. Industrial relations reform will be, at best, marginal. Turnbull will take a softer line with the Islamic community and intends to pursue a UN Human Rights Council membership from 2018. Another tilt at the UN Security Council is a 2030 ambition.

The republican movement can expect royal treatment and, ­subject to a pesky public vote, same-sex marriages seem likely to be fast-tracked.

What’s not to like?

Poor baby lost his 'job'.

Turnbull's republican movement will probably end up just like John Key's flag movement: options so terrible we might as well leave things the way they are.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 6, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Malcolm Turnbull’s dispatch of Tony Abbott from the prime ministership settled a score that had been festering from the moment Abbott became opposition leader. They are very different people.

Unlike conservative Abbott, Turnbull appeals to the fashionable Left. He is a postmodern kind of guy, more at home in inner-city cafes than in budgie smugglers and firefighting uniforms.

In no time, Turnbull has signalled his soft liberal credentials. Tax increases for the rich are back on the table. The Renewable Energy Finance Corporation has been given an immediate reprieve with a new board and new ideas for wasting money.

Climate change policies are ­receiving fresh attention. The ­Bureau of Meteorology has been freed of accountability and can now peddle its dubious data without scrutiny.

University spending cuts have been deferred and fees have ­escaped competitive tension. Industrial relations reform will be, at best, marginal. Turnbull will take a softer line with the Islamic community and intends to pursue a UN Human Rights Council membership from 2018. Another tilt at the UN Security Council is a 2030 ambition.

The republican movement can expect royal treatment and, ­subject to a pesky public vote, same-sex marriages seem likely to be fast-tracked.

What’s not to like?

I adore when dipshits do laundry lists of things they smugly assume readers will react 'wow that's bad!' to, without realising that the majority of the population sees each point as a positive. I may be an extreme lefty but at least I recognise some of my political positions are fringe. How do people let themselves get caught up in their own smug bullshit like this?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BBJoey posted:

The cyberpunk dystopia is now.and we don't even get any cool cybergear.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

BBJoey posted:

I adore when dipshits do laundry lists of things they smugly assume readers will react 'wow that's bad!' to, without realising that the majority of the population sees each point as a positive. I may be an extreme lefty but at least I recognise some of my political positions are fringe. How do people let themselves get caught up in their own smug bullshit like this?

Isn't the point that it is horrible, but still sounds appealing to people outside of the fringe?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BBJoey posted:

I had to read it a second time to even see that he was trying to make fun of things. His 'clearly absurd' claims are both things with popular support and things that would clearly actually work.

What the gently caress happened to our political environment that caused things our population actually wants to be things that no party in power will take a swing at?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Two party system. Nothing to be gained by standing out, just hang around long enough and you'll end up in government.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
We also have one of the shortest election cycles in the world.

The fact that the Abbott government got in speaks volumes about Australia.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hey who would have thought Turnbull would turn out to be just as much of a neoliberal shitheel as the rest of the Liberals:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...005-gk1yr5.html

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Why is it only a seven day economy for the poorest members of society and nobody else? hmmery. a mystery indeed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The days of penalty rates are numbered as we move to a seven day economy, says Malcolm Turnbull.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet hosed

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EvilElmo posted:

Did you read any of what you quoted? Your question is very clearly answered.
I think perhaps you read a different article. Quote the bit where the question (in general) "Is everyone who commits violence in the name of a religion a terrorist?" is answered. Please remember that the actual legislation they quote is used to demonstrate pitfalls in even attempting a definition.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Clearly not, unless the violence meets at least one of the two criteria under s 5(1)(c).

Read your own poo poo.
If you are in fact citing Criminal Code Act 1995 - Part 5.3 - Division 100.1 (1)(c)

quote:

the action is done or the threat is made with the intention of:
(i) coercing, or influencing by intimidation, the government of the Commonwealth or a State, Territory or foreign country, or of part of a State, Territory or foreign country; or
(ii) intimidating the public or a section of the public.

Then exactly who isn't included in this 'exclusion'. Assuming violence is an act that is likely to "coerce, or influence by intimidation".

Read my own poo poo indeed.

More over this is part of an ongoing discussion that includes the preliminary findings of Monis' coroner's inquest at which there has not yet been a consensus that that was a terrorist act. You can go and read my posts from this month for the links and commentary if you care enough.

Really the point I am trying to make is two fold.

One - Until such time as all the facts are known it is completely inappropriate to jump to any conclusions. Lets speculate that the boy in question was mentally ill and screamed 'Allah Akbar' purely because he knew it got a big reaction. Does that mean that anyone with a mental illness who attacks someone while shouting 'Allah Akbar' is a terrorist? According to EvilElmo it does.

Two - Effectively what difference does it make whether they are or they aren't, in fact, a terrorist? It isn't going to bring Curtis Cheng or Farhad Jabar back to life. It is only if this is important to our preventing a future event that such considerations matter in the slightest. People who are attempting to exploit the community reaction to instil fear and foster racial or religious intolerance are the people I have cautioned readers to watch and mark the cards of.

Are http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/anti-islamic-group-stage-fake-beheading-in-bendigo/6827220 these guys terrorists? They intimidated the town of Bendigo into forgoing 1/2 a million dollars in revenue.

But hey please don't pay any attention to me there are more fifteen years olds that need to be dealt with by police:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-06/student-arrested-from-parramatta-school-attended-by-15yo-gunman/6829876

quote:

Parramatta shooting: Student arrested from same school attended by 15yo gunman - by David Spicer and staff - Updated 36 minutes ago

Student sits on the ground outside Arthur Phillip High in Sydney while surrounded by police.

Police in western Sydney have arrested a student on his way to Arthur Phillip High School, the same school attended by the 15-year-old who shot a man dead at Parramatta's police headquarters last week. New South Wales Police said they spoke with a teenage boy on his way to school this morning in relation to alleged posts on social media. They said the student then threatened and intimidated police and he was arrested.
It comes after Farhad Jabar shot and killed 17-year police force veteran and accountant Curtis Cheng at close range outside the Parramatta police headquarters on Friday. The Year 10 student was killed by police in front of the building after he shot dead Mr Cheng. There was a heavy police presence at the school this morning which is just metres from the scene of last week's fatal shooting. The student arrested this morning had his belongings emptied on the footpath. He was handcuffed and taken away in a police van to Parramatta Police Station.

The arrested student told the ABC that police took offence to him videoing them on his mobile phone. The ABC saw a senior police inspector looking at the content of the boy's mobile phone. Students at Arthur Phillip High School returned for the first time today since the fatal shooting last week. The NSW Department of Education is offering counselling services to students and teachers this morning. A number of students expressed their shock at the shooting incident, describing Jabar as quiet, polite and "a nice kid". Students who knew Jabar said he enjoyed playing basketball at the school.

Parents must take stronger action to deter children at risk: police

Yesterday, NSW Deputy Police Commissioner Nick Kaldas said parents with children at risk of radicalisation must take a stronger role to deter them from violent influences. He said families and the community, rather than police, were the key to stamping out terror-related violence.

Deputy Commissioner Kaldas said the reaction since the shooting showed the Muslim community abhorred such violence and some were fearful of retaliation. Police said they believed the shooting was politically motivated and was linked to terrorism. Deputy Commissioner Kaldas said police were already on high alert for the possibility of retaliatory attacks. The shooting has sparked new conversation between the Federal Government and the Muslim community about how to best tackle radicalisation and extremism here in Australia. Yesterday, prominent Muslim community leader Dr Jamal Rifi said Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's efforts to combat the problem are a "quantum leap" from the Government's previous approach.

Now smear me with the tree hugging leftie brush all you want but what I want is an end to the violence and killings. I seek the most effective way and after extensive reading into the topic (some of which I have commentated on here in this thread and its predecesors) the answer lies in the approach taken by Indonesia. Unfortunately, for us in Australia, it also involves stopping the senseless killing of civilians in the Middle East. Everytime there is an 'unintentional' Hospital bombing or 'extensive collateral damage' we here in the West shrug our collective shoulders and say 'oh well', 'badies vs. badies' etc. we occupy the moral low ground and this is why we have the seeds, and possibly fruits, of radicalisation at our feet. Here in Australia we additionally have the refugee torture/rape/death industry to cause impressionable young people to think that we are monsters. Moral high ground? Collectively we'd need a telescope.

Not only that but as a problem it is barely worthy of our attention. How loving scewed does your world view have to be when you, as one of the richest nations on earth, callously claim that people coming from poorer countries are obviously economic refugees? We'll duh, Duhtton. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/immigration-minister-peter/6829856.

I actually think this new mob are more dangerous (and immoral) than the last because they may actually manage to sell it, see also Rudd, K.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

freebooter posted:

Hey who would have thought Turnbull would turn out to be just as much of a neoliberal shitheel as the rest of the Liberals:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...005-gk1yr5.html

The poll at the end of the article had a much less horrific result than what I thought it was going to have. Really thought it was going to be 99% 'gently caress The Poor'

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

But they hold back the economy!

[EDIT: I don't suppose anyone knows if there's been anything written about the effects of penalty rates on economic growth?]

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Anidav posted:

The days of penalty rates are numbered as we move to a seven day economy, says Malcolm Turnbull.

Seriously gently caress this poo poo.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

quote:

Mr Turnbull did not specify what would constitute a no-worse-off test.

Of course he didn't. Because none of the people arguing for it have. Their argument is simply that penalty rates are 'hard on business'. The public needs to understand that this has everything to do with helping business over workers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The IPA, right on cue:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-06/berg-the-tide-is-turning-on-penalty-rates/6829546

What does gladden my heart is that whenever articles about penalty rates come up (and I do stay abreast of them, as someone who depends on penalty rates) the commenters will overwhelmingly defend and support the status quo. Although I only read Fairfax and the ABC...

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Everyone is talking about the economic impact, but what about the cultural one? Sunday being a day of rest is an old tradition. A tradition that maintains some tiny modicum of social cohesion. With that gone the walls between all of us get even higher.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

open24hours posted:

But they hold back the economy!

[EDIT: I don't suppose anyone knows if there's been anything written about the effects of penalty rates on economic growth?]

Bernard Keane's done some good pieces on it which are worthy of bookmarking for when you get into a Facebook argument with your Mon-Fri Young Liberal law degree cousin:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/03/12/hunting-for-the-penalty-rates-evidence-proves-a-tricky-task/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/04/07/the-dirty-secret-of-penalty-rate-opponents-business-is-booming/

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

On the other hand, the public won't vote for this will they? Right?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The old man is going to win the election and send young people down a wage slavery abyss. Politicians continue to avoid the harsh reality that underemployment hinders an economy just as much as unemployment.

If we're not spending enough to stimulate the consumer economy, it is because we can't afford it, not because business can't afford to hire people but because business refuses to let people afford something outside of working to their graves.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

The poll at the end of the article had a much less horrific result than what I thought it was going to have. Really thought it was going to be 99% 'gently caress The Poor'

The poll has misleading questions though. Where's my option for: "Yes, Sunday should be paid the same as Saturday - both should be at 200% of base rate."

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Apparently there is a big push in Spain to abolish the siesta too. Globalism is cool

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Amethyst posted:

I genuinely believe the majority of the Australian public supports workers' rights to penalty rates, and Australia's generous workers' rights in general.

Whether it will be a tipping point at the election is a different question.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Way to support public education Shorten, you loving dickhead.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
so is the seven day economy working seven days straight or are we giving the soviet method a go and assigning two days off randomly to everyone

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

The cyberpunk dystopia is now.and we don't even get any cool cybergear.

BRB Registering Ares Macrotechnology.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Seagull posted:

so is the seven day economy working seven days straight or are we giving the soviet method a go and assigning two days off randomly to everyone

This would really be the most efficient way. Make sure no one in the same family has the same days off either so they don't waste their energy on holidays or other distractions from work.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

How long have we actually had penalty rates? I know the most recent reworking of them was in 2010 but I know I was getting extra weekend cash when I worked at Coles around 2007.

edit - I ask because I was surprised to learn last year that we're one of the only (maybe the only) countries in the world that pays them. You expect the US to be full of wage slaves, but I was honestly shocked to find that people in the UK and New Zealand get nothing extra. 2:00am on Sunday is considered the same as 2:00pm on Monday, which is plainly insane.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Parliament will begin sitting on weekends I'm sure.

It has potential to be an election loser, just like Workchoices was. You'd be surprised the % of workers that rely on penalty rates and work a Saturday for that reason. Any cuts first off would likely be to hospitality anyway since they can't stand up for themselves, but most would see it as an attack on the rest.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anidav posted:

I worked a job where I was potentially working five of any seven days a week. People who've never done this - AKA Turnbull - can't understand that that does to your ability to have a life beyond work. It absolutely destroyed my hobbies and social relationships as well as my general health and wellbeing as a consequence of that. It's hosed. We should be moving to a four-day working week, not seven!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

How long have we actually had penalty rates? I know the most recent reworking of them was in 2010 but I know I was getting extra weekend cash when I worked at Coles around 2007.

edit - I ask because I was surprised to learn last year that we're one of the only (maybe the only) countries in the world that pays them. You expect the US to be full of wage slaves, but I was honestly shocked to find that people in the UK and New Zealand get nothing extra. 2:00am on Sunday is considered the same as 2:00pm on Monday, which is plainly insane.

That's obviously why the UK and New Zealand outperform us by so much, nothing holding their economies back.

Labor could counter this pretty easily if they weren't so terrified of the mythical small business owning Western Sydney wingnut.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

I worked a job where I was potentially working five of any seven days a week. People who've never done this - AKA Turnbull - can't understand that that does to your ability to have a life beyond work. It absolutely destroyed my hobbies and social relationships as well as my general health and wellbeing as a consequence of that. It's hosed. We should be moving to a four-day working week, not seven!

There is a reason why so many hospitality workers are alcoholics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Bernard Keane's done some good pieces on it which are worthy of bookmarking for when you get into a Facebook argument with your Mon-Fri Young Liberal law degree cousin:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/03/12/hunting-for-the-penalty-rates-evidence-proves-a-tricky-task/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/04/07/the-dirty-secret-of-penalty-rate-opponents-business-is-booming/

"If, as the Institute of Public Affairs claimed in 2012, penalty rates are killing the cafe and restaurants sector, it’s lately undergone an Easter-like resurrection, because it is now one of the fastest-growing business sectors in the entire economy. ABS data on business numbers released in March shows that the net rate of growth in businesses in cafes and restaurants is far higher than in the overall economy."

The much maligned latte sipping lefties are propping up the only part of our economy to be growing.

I guess everyone with a double soy macciatto in inner Melbourne is the real lifter and Joe Shitdirt getting government subsidies for his "drought affected" farmland that was never really viable in the first place is the leaner.

Inner city is the heartland of Australia.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Amethyst posted:

Picture Australians having to pick between Malcolm Turnbull abolishing penalty rates, and Bill Shorten standing up for families sending their kids to private school. No, the public won't be voting for abolition of penalty rates, but they'll vote for the guys who want it anyway.

I'd say our best hope is Turnbull sticking to this enough that he gets blasted for it, and then he backs away. Tony was dumb enough to think he had a mandate, but Turnbull does seem to be smart enough to know when to back away from a losing battle.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You don't even have to work weekends personally to have weekend work mess with your life. Having a partner that worked Saturdays was bad enough.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pretty sure penalty rates have been around since the early 1900's. We are, well we were, ahead of the world on workplace laws favoring workers. It was until the late 70's that individual bargaining even became a thing.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'd say our best hope is Turnbull sticking to this enough that he gets blasted for it, and then he backs away. Tony was dumb enough to think he had a mandate, but Turnbull does seem to be smart enough to know when to back away from a losing battle.

No, even Tony was smart enough to realise he didn't have a mandate on this. Turnbull on the other hand is probably gauging public reaction because he knows full well that he's already more popular than Abbott and Gillard.

Remind me what happened to the last Liberal prime minister who thought he was popular enough to get away with stripping workers' rights?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

freebooter posted:

No, even Tony was smart enough to realise he didn't have a mandate on this. Turnbull on the other hand is probably gauging public reaction because he knows full well that he's already more popular than Abbott and Gillard.

Remind me what happened to the last Liberal prime minister who thought he was popular enough to get away with stripping workers' rights?

He was prime minister for 11 years? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0yxPbZq40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVy0_DLsPM

• Locked thread