Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Free boat pretty cool.

I guess I'll play this game again for a few days with premium...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Gunder posted:

It's not that I'm not having any fun, it's that the curve feels too steep. Half the fun of the game for me is unlocking new ships, and right now, that takes too long and feels frustrating.

This is how they monetize the game. Everyone loves getting a new ship or unlocking better equipment for them. But as each grind gets a little longer thats a huge incentive to pay for premium, or even use doubloons to convert free exp. Where I think they really get people, and you dont really see it coming is silver. At first ships and their upgrades are cheap enough, but once you hit like tier 7 they start to get so expensive that grinding more than a single line or two becomes way more difficult. Unless that is, you buy a premium ship and play it frequently because they get a bonus to silver generation... For instance a Tier 8 ship is like 8-10 million spacebucks or so. The good news is that Tier IV-VI is really a sweet spot for silver generation. These ships are not ludicrously expensive, but generate a healthy amount of silver. At the higher tiers, you can actually lose silver without premium if you have a mediocre round and dont do much damage. I wish some of the daily missions gave out a bit more silver, 20k or 50k isnt really much after you've played for a while.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

xthetenth posted:

It's a st. louis multiplied by the inverse of the russian overpoweredness coefficient.

It takes a bunch more damage but can still fart out shells.

The Aurora's turrets are super slow to turn compared to the St. Louis, guns fire more slowly, it has less hitpoints and armor, and less guns. The only thing it has going for it, aside from good silver generation at that tier and amazing range for its guns, is the 8% chance to fire from the HE shells, which is a whopping 1% more chance than the St. Louis has.

It's basically a worse version of the St. Louis and you should not use it unless you are literally starting a new account. Even then, maybe just sell it.

It sells for 1,687,500 silver, though, which on top of the 500k from the code clears 2 MM silver for free. So, there's that.

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 6, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

All of those are largely irrelevant compared to not having the amazing St. Louis armor, which is a thing in which it is not merely a bit worse but vastly inferior.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

This is how they monetize the game. Everyone loves getting a new ship or unlocking better equipment for them. But as each grind gets a little longer thats a huge incentive to pay for premium, or even use doubloons to convert free exp. Where I think they really get people, and you dont really see it coming is silver. At first ships and their upgrades are cheap enough, but once you hit like tier 7 they start to get so expensive that grinding more than a single line or two becomes way more difficult. Unless that is, you buy a premium ship and play it frequently because they get a bonus to silver generation... For instance a Tier 8 ship is like 8-10 million spacebucks or so. The good news is that Tier IV-VI is really a sweet spot for silver generation. These ships are not ludicrously expensive, but generate a healthy amount of silver. At the higher tiers, you can actually lose silver without premium if you have a mediocre round and dont do much damage. I wish some of the daily missions gave out a bit more silver, 20k or 50k isnt really much after you've played for a while.

I still don't see why the premium ships are priced SO high though. Myself personally, and I'm sure many others, are tempted by some of the ships, but I'm not paying the price of an entire AAA game for a single goddamn ship. I mean, maybe they've run the numbers and decided that the people buying the stupidly expensive premiums makes them more money than if they were priced lower and had more buyers, but I'm rather suspicious of that.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

I still don't see why the premium ships are priced SO high though. Myself personally, and I'm sure many others, are tempted by some of the ships, but I'm not paying the price of an entire AAA game for a single goddamn ship. I mean, maybe they've run the numbers and decided that the people buying the stupidly expensive premiums makes them more money than if they were priced lower and had more buyers, but I'm rather suspicious of that.

I only ever bought one big ticket premium in World of Tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people spent a lot of money on that game. I spent a fair amount of money on War Thunder over the years, but 20-30 bucks for a really good premium plane, a few weeks of premium time, and 14 bucks worth of in-game currency was a good deal. And that premium earned me experience for advancing my rank, too.

I ground really hard in World of Tanks when it came out, went for premium, all that. World of Warships doesn't interest me in that way. It's fun, and there are times when I'll sit down and play it for a while, but when I think of spending money on it, I think about how beta-y the game feels and how expensive everything is.

ZiggyXX
Jan 15, 2010

Just unlocked the furukaka, oh joy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had forgotten how much I hate this game's pubbies until I began playing again.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Got my Aurora code during my break at work some hours ago but couldn't log in to enter it til I got home. Got home, and the deal had expired but I still had the page open on my phone and it worked. :getin:

Thanks for the code, James Garfield

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

ZiggyXX posted:

Just unlocked the furukaka, oh joy.

Eh its not that bad. Its capable. It is my 3rd highest average experience per battle according to Warshipstats. Just play smart with it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Taco is mighty, now that the turrets actually turn at a speed that wouldn't make a BB ashamed. Aim for the juicy citadel and don't be afraid to dickstab a BB with the torpedoes if you get the chance.

Also, the guns are actually quite accurate and have a very high velocity, which makes them great for shanking destroyers.

But then, I grew to like the Taco before the buffs. I grew to like the goddamn Myogi. I have terrible taste in boats.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
13km range hurts Furry a lot. Its not dance at max range ship because its range is crap. Everything but DDs outrange you so you gotta use map features to introduce opponents to 203mm goodness. Omaha doesnt have to do all that. You can dance and fart out shells from 15km in relative safety. Of course people think Furutaka is poo poo. You got to think what you are doing with it.

EDIT: Also Aoba is awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, the Omaha is definitely better, but the Taco has that sort of underdog charm to it. Plus, people still think it's harmless and are really astonished when they eat a 20000 damage volley of AP in the citadel. Admittedly you rarely get one that perfect, but sometimes every shell goes where you wanted it and someone blows the gently caress up, and it's wonderful.

Or a BB drives into the torpedoes because they forgot they had to worry about that.

Edit: Also agreeing the Aoba's awesome and the Taco will get you ready for those 203mm double guns. The Aoba is basically the Taco with every problem fixed.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I love the Taco, even prefer playing in it to the cleavland. Not that it's as good as the cleavland, but it's more fun. The 10k long lance torps a really nice once you get them, and the guns are precise.

It's definitely a change, though. You have to spend less time hunting DDs and more time going for CA citadels.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Never not hunt DDs as a cruiser. The pubbies never, ever actively hunt DDs and so it's up to you to stop the little bastards. I have no poo poo seen a ball of 6 pubbies huddle up by our carrier and die one by one like extras in a horror film to torpedoes coming at them out of the darkness while they refuse to advance to look for it, whining all the while that IJN DDs are 'so OP'.

Pubbies' absolute terror at the prospect of taking any kind of risk or advancing in this game is mind-blowingly annoying.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
People get astonished when they get citadeled for 20k damage it because in my experience like 90% of cruiser drivers never shoot AP. Me personally after derping in 2 cruisers that were shooting HE and for some reason insistent to show me their broadside and me just decimating them AP after that I tend to keep AP loaded on cruiser as default and really keeping an eye on my broadside.

Oh and about Myogi. I tried to like it. I liked its range and I liked its speed. But IMO in the end of the day six main guns on battleship is just :flaccid:

EDIT:I dislike Cleveland as well. That slow shell speed drives me crazy. I miss torpedoes to. And yes you are cruiser your job is to kill destroyers. Chase him down, kill him. After all safest you can be against DD is with your prow pointed at this DD.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 6, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best thing about the Myogi is that it teaches you to play the Kongo really well. By the time you finish the Myogi, you will have drat well had to learn how to use its relatively high speed and agility to your advantage because you sure as gently caress aren't going to win a straight gunfight.

Then you get the Kongo and it is, like the Aoba and the Taco, 'That ship you were just in except with absolutely all the problems fixed.'

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Night10194 posted:

Then you get the Kongo and it is, like the Aoba and the Taco, 'That ship you were just in except with absolutely all the problems fixed.'
Kinda I suppose. I enjoyed Kongo a lot. I think that gap between Myogi and Kongo is larger then between Taco and Aoba. Or maybe its because I still was learning aiming when I played Myogi.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Caved in and used 30k free xp to get Iowa. Even stock is better than fully upgraded NC :colbert:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I can't wait for the Russian premium Iowa with Harpoon missiles and bugged super structure as a feature.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Russian premium CV will have F14s and F18s and allow you to call in an AWACS to spot everyone on the map.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Russian CA's will have SM2's with 30km range to blow up enemy squadrons as they're taking off.

Lady Morgaga posted:

People get astonished when they get citadeled for 20k damage it because in my experience like 90% of cruiser drivers never shoot AP. Me personally after derping in 2 cruisers that were shooting HE and for some reason insistent to show me their broadside and me just decimating them AP after that I tend to keep AP loaded on cruiser as default and really keeping an eye on my broadside.

I had a similar fight in my Taco, taking on a Kuma and a Omaha. They were plinking away at me with HE while I was citadeling them with AP.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Wargaming really needs to make World of Starships an actual game mode you can play. I just watched a video of it, and it looks like silly fun.

They could even make it so you had to have active premium time to play it, or something, so it's treated almost like an arcade game (put the coins in, get to play). If they took the time to balance it differently than the base game, and give it some character of its own, it could be pretty good.

Something fun to do outside of grind ships all day.

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 6, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Stalkerr posted:

Wargaming really needs to make World of Starships an actual game mode you can play. I just watched a video of it, and it looks like silly fun.

They could even make it so you had to have active premium time to play it, or something, so it's treated almost like an arcade game (put the coins in, get to play). If they took the time to balance it differently than the base game, and give it some character of its own, it could be pretty good.

Something fun to do outside of grind ships all day.

That already exists under a different name from an other company and is apparently the same lovely WG grind. Sadly I am too lazy to check steam for the name, but I think it was called Star Conflict.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Tahirovic posted:

That already exists under a different name from an other company and is apparently the same lovely WG grind. Sadly I am too lazy to check steam for the name, but I think it was called Star Conflict.
Heh :v: Star Conflict is terrible and probably even more grindy than War Thunder, so don't play it.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Confirmed, I played it before they made it grindy, and it was just a terrible game.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

Never not hunt DDs as a cruiser. The pubbies never, ever actively hunt DDs and so it's up to you to stop the little bastards. I have no poo poo seen a ball of 6 pubbies huddle up by our carrier and die one by one like extras in a horror film to torpedoes coming at them out of the darkness while they refuse to advance to look for it, whining all the while that IJN DDs are 'so OP'.

Pubbies' absolute terror at the prospect of taking any kind of risk or advancing in this game is mind-blowingly annoying.

When I'm tooling around in my cruiser and I see a DD within striking distance, my heart leaps with joy. They're always too aggressive with trying to close for a torp run and I love to imagine the terror that they feel when I knock out their steering and gently caress up their engine. Easy kills, and literally what cruisers were built for.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

When I'm tooling around in my cruiser and I see a DD within striking distance, my heart leaps with joy. They're always too aggressive with trying to close for a torp run and I love to imagine the terror that they feel when I knock out their steering and gently caress up their engine. Easy kills, and literally what cruisers were built for.

Or when they send a torp spread your way, and you navigate between the torps and keep coming for them.

I never get tired of making destroyers run away.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Just ran into the new Russian TX DD in my Izumo. He burnt me down from 50% to zero without me seeing him once. At least I think it was the DD...I don't think there was anything else in the match could do it.

My gut reaction at the time was if this goes live as it is I will either completely abandon my T7 IJN and T6 USN DDs (and probably not buy the Mogami I have been saving up for since this DD is doing the same HE spamming thing but safer) or stop playing altogether. I've calmed down since then but when that poo poo happens with USN DDs, at least their shell arcs mean they miss some shots and its quite easy to get away. In this case I had absolutely no chance.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

kaesarsosei posted:

Just ran into the new Russian TX DD in my Izumo. He burnt me down from 50% to zero without me seeing him once. At least I think it was the DD...I don't think there was anything else in the match could do it.

My gut reaction at the time was if this goes live as it is I will either completely abandon my T7 IJN and T6 USN DDs (and probably not buy the Mogami I have been saving up for since this DD is doing the same HE spamming thing but safer) or stop playing altogether. I've calmed down since then but when that poo poo happens with USN DDs, at least their shell arcs mean they miss some shots and its quite easy to get away. In this case I had absolutely no chance.
Shell speed on Russian Tier 10 DD is very fast (almost same as Zao), and with current concealment mechanics it won't get spotted at all past 10.x km (6.x + 4). Basically what you get is US DD with more shells per shot (4X2 guns) and faster projectile speed. You'll have to depend on CV to spot because other DDs will get wrecked going near it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What do carrier players like to do with their Bogue squadrons? I feel like the 2 fighters and 1 Bomber squadron may be the most effective. It doesn't allow you to deal much damage to other ships, but it really shuts down the other players bomber squadrons. What i'd like to see would be 2 fighter squadrons and 1 torp squadron, but that would probably be too powerful, and the other option of 2 bombers and 1 torp seems way too vulnerable to enemy carriers.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
All things considered, I think fighters are always better than bombers. The potential damage of torpedo bombers is huge. If you can keep that off the table you give your team a lot more breathing room, and if the enemy CVs are stupid enough to run pure bombers ( or bomber heavy ), you can run them out of bombers. Not true in the high tiers, I guess, but it seems true enough in the middle tiers.

Of course, all that air supremacy won't matter for beans if your team runs headlong into enemy torpedoes and dies.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

You're totally preaching to the choir on this one. I think the price for the Tirpitz is insulting. The only premium ship I have (and probably the only one ill ever have) is the Murmansk, and thats only because I was able to buy one of those codes for like $3, and that also came with doubloons and a week of premium.

Speaking of the Murmansk, I could train up that captain for Russian DDs, how do they look? Will they be able to blap people with guns while remaining just out of spotting range?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lakedaimon posted:

You're totally preaching to the choir on this one. I think the price for the Tirpitz is insulting. The only premium ship I have (and probably the only one ill ever have) is the Murmansk, and thats only because I was able to buy one of those codes for like $3, and that also came with doubloons and a week of premium.

Speaking of the Murmansk, I could train up that captain for Russian DDs, how do they look? Will they be able to blap people with guns while remaining just out of spotting range?

OP as gently caress and yes.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Aesis posted:

Shell speed on Russian Tier 10 DD is very fast (almost same as Zao), and with current concealment mechanics it won't get spotted at all past 10.x km (6.x + 4). Basically what you get is US DD with more shells per shot (4X2 guns) and faster projectile speed. You'll have to depend on CV to spot because other DDs will get wrecked going near it.

I don't get this formula... will the mogami be able to shoot without being detected with all the upgrades (tier 4 skill)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

jownzy posted:

I don't get this formula... will the mogami be able to shoot without being detected with all the upgrades (tier 4 skill)

Probably not. Aesis is just giving the rundown without looking up the exact numbers. That T10 Russian destroyer has a range of something like 18 km(maybe with the skill? I don't recall the exact number), but a spotting range of around 9 km. Shooting your weapons adds 4 km(3.9 is the exact amount, I believe) onto that. The combined effects of the concealment upgrade, the concealment skill, and the concealment paint scheme pushes that base detection down to somewhere in the 6's or so. Thus 6 something plus 4 gives you 10 something, giving that piece of bullshit a leeway of 8 km in which it can shoot but not be spotted.

Oh, and it's also the fastest ship in the game by a significant margin, so it can dance in that range basically indefinitely if you can't find a handy CV to illuminate it. To illustrate how fast they made it, Shimakaze(which the devs stealth nerfed the speed of sometime in the last few patches. Used to be its trial speed of 40.5, is currently 39.5), which is currently tied with Minekaze as the fastest ship in the game, needs both the speed flag AND be using Speed Boost to actually overtake, if only slightly, the drat thing's base top speed. Gearing flat out cannot catch it. Not that it matters, since either of them die horribly to it.

To add onto this it's carrying more guns than the Gearing(4x2 rather than 3x2) and, while its rate of fire is not quite as fast, its shell speed is so much better, and the angle they travel makes it so much more accurate, means that it doesn't even matter. Who the gently caress cares about torpedoes when, as kaesarsosei mentioned, it can gun down even high tier BBs with complete abandon.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Night10194 posted:

The best thing about the Myogi is that it teaches you to play the Kongo really well. By the time you finish the Myogi, you will have drat well had to learn how to use its relatively high speed and agility to your advantage because you sure as gently caress aren't going to win a straight gunfight.

That's encouraging to read as I just upgraded to the Myogi today and felt rather impotent and almost a bit downgraded from the Kawachi. I really want to reach the Yamato to satisfy the inner WW2 navy history nerd in me, but my initial battles with the Myogi almost made me want to see how the American BB line played in comparison.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

PsycheNotFound posted:

That's encouraging to read as I just upgraded to the Myogi today and felt rather impotent and almost a bit downgraded from the Kawachi. I really want to reach the Yamato to satisfy the inner WW2 navy history nerd in me, but my initial battles with the Myogi almost made me want to see how the American BB line played in comparison.

The Americans have more guns, slower speed and less range. The Myogi, once upgraded, is actually fairly decent. At least you can extract yourself from a bad engagement, which the Wyoming most emphatically can not. And yeah, the Kongo owns faces. Battleship that handles like a cruiser.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Probably not. Aesis is just giving the rundown without looking up the exact numbers. That T10 Russian destroyer has a range of something like 18 km(maybe with the skill? I don't recall the exact number), but a spotting range of around 9 km. Shooting your weapons adds 4 km(3.9 is the exact amount, I believe) onto that. The combined effects of the concealment upgrade, the concealment skill, and the concealment paint scheme pushes that base detection down to somewhere in the 6's or so. Thus 6 something plus 4 gives you 10 something, giving that piece of bullshit a leeway of 8 km in which it can shoot but not be spotted.

Oh, and it's also the fastest ship in the game by a significant margin, so it can dance in that range basically indefinitely if you can't find a handy CV to illuminate it. To illustrate how fast they made it, Shimakaze(which the devs stealth nerfed the speed of sometime in the last few patches. Used to be its trial speed of 40.5, is currently 39.5), which is currently tied with Minekaze as the fastest ship in the game, needs both the speed flag AND be using Speed Boost to actually overtake, if only slightly, the drat thing's base top speed. Gearing flat out cannot catch it. Not that it matters, since either of them die horribly to it.

To add onto this it's carrying more guns than the Gearing(4x2 rather than 3x2) and, while its rate of fire is not quite as fast, its shell speed is so much better, and the angle they travel makes it so much more accurate, means that it doesn't even matter. Who the gently caress cares about torpedoes when, as kaesarsosei mentioned, it can gun down even high tier BBs with complete abandon.

This isn't 100% accurate. It does have a pretty monster zone in which it can hit ships and not be spotted back, but that bubble is still smaller than the Fletcher's, and it still gets detected within a good distance if a DD or plane closes in. The ballistics is what makes the stealth fire so dangerous, its not the floaty shots of the US 5 inch guns.

A spreadsheet from reddit showing a lot of info on stealth fire ranges.
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=360E87CC23673AEC!131&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ABOQSeuh09KOjjk

As you can see, something is very hosed with RUS concealment firing range. They're not receiving as harsh a penalty as other DDs are, with the T10 boat only getting +2.6 km detection range added when firing. :iiam:
This is highly disappointing, as I suspect people are going to cry OP and subsequently get DDs nerfed. AGAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So the Aurora should basically never use its AP, as I was bouncing off the citadel of a Kuma at 6km with it. This is good to know for my lovely revolution-starting communism party boat.