Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CommieGIR posted:

That isn't even the best part: IF you decide to keep the tool, they just keep your deposit. That's it.

Isn't your deposit roughly the cost of the tool, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Isn't your deposit roughly the cost of the tool, though?

My point being they don't charge you late fees or anything. You can just 'rent' a tool and never return it and it counts as you buying it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That's how I got my valve spring compressor! Never even used it, but hey! I've got it!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PartsSource here in Canada used to loan out tools no questions asked, but the last couple times they said they changed their policy and you had to have purchased a part from them that would require the tool to install for them to loan it to you :(

If you're buddy-buddy with the staff they'll let it slide but it still sucks compared to the previously lenient policy.

It's been about a year since I last tried borrowing a tool so maybe it's changed again.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

yeah my spring compressors are advance or autozone or whatever that we just never gave back.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

My point being they don't charge you late fees or anything. You can just 'rent' a tool and never return it and it counts as you buying it.

That's how it was at the stores I "rented" from. You're literally buying and returning the tools. Advance and O'Reilly are both like that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

yeah my spring compressors are advance or autozone or whatever that we just never gave back.

Same, they've easily paid for themselves 5x over already.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bajaha posted:

PartsSource here in Canada used to loan out tools no questions asked, but the last couple times they said they changed their policy and you had to have purchased a part from them that would require the tool to install for them to loan it to you :(

If you're buddy-buddy with the staff they'll let it slide but it still sucks compared to the previously lenient policy.

It's been about a year since I last tried borrowing a tool so maybe it's changed again.

Why would they ever care? They're selling off used tools at full price and replacing it with brand new stuff which is good for getting people to keep coming in and renting more tools. :psyduck:

EDIT: Assuming of course it worked the same as the parts stores down here.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CommieGIR posted:

That isn't even the best part: IF you decide to keep the tool, they just keep your deposit. That's it.

And you just paid retail for a used tool!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It takes a while for the store to order a new one. They have to wait the entire 30 to 60 days before being able to order a replacement and then it'll still be some time before the new one comes in.

You're better off just buying one somewhere instead of keeping a loaner.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Uh, we generally reorder them every week or two and it takes ~24 hours for us to get new ones. By all means, keep the used tool you paid retail for!

Edit: At least this is the case where I work.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 5, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I generally rent my tools the Canadian way: by buying them and then returning it the next day, explaining it was a gift for my friend's birthday but he crashed into a moose on the highway and he won't need it anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I did that for a giant socket recently so I could replace the heating elements in the water heater. Just said I ended up not needing it :v:

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I generally rent my tools the Canadian way: by buying them and then returning it the next day, explaining it was a gift for my friend's birthday but he crashed into a moose on the highway and he won't need it anymore.

This is my MO for tools I'm not sure I'll need, or that I know I'm only using for one job. Then a few months ago I brought an unused bottle jack back to O'Reilly's and the crotchety old gently caress behind the counter tried to hassle me about it for a good 10 minutes because there was a paint chip on the body... Haven't been to an O'Reilly's since.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I got my spring compressors from autozone through the loan-a-tool thing. They were brand-spanking-new which is part of the reason I decided to keep them.

If they'd been used I would have returned them after I used them and got my money back. :shrug:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

True north :canada:

No clue as to why the policy change, I figured the good will of being able to rent and the impulse purchases when you come in to pickup and drop off would encourage it as well, but :iiam:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I just noticed my S2000 engine is missing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Nnnnoooo!! Goddamn man that is balls.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Is that a new theft or an old theft newly discovered?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Old theft newly discovered. It's not in the "After" picture I took the day after the theft. I must've just written it off that the roommate had moved it or something, but I went to specifically look for it tonight and it's gone.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Just call me Mr. Steal Your Engine

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Did you ask ted where it's at? 40w or 50w?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

uh WHAT? how the gently caress does anyone get an engine through your mudpit of a yard unnoticed?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

How the gently caress do you steal an entire loving engine? Like really, how the gently caress does someone make off with that?

God drat man, that sucks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They (I'm assuming they now... jesus) came in through the back woods behind the garage.

Dude with the trail camera is going to check it tomorrow, so I hope we get to see how they did it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Look man I'm sorry but after all that's happened this is just fuckin' hilarious. I know it blows goats but I haven't been able to stop cackling.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm not even mad. I was gonna make something cool out of it like a table but now I just get part-out money.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Is your garage just the magnet for local thieves?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Finish the dumb Comanche heater core why haven't I finished this it will literally take an hour
Finish the dumb garage cabinets why haven't I finished this
Build a drain for the garage entry pad
Finish my chain link fence project behind the garage
Get the front and back yard looking respectable
Rearrange/clean up the garage
Dump/megaburn the pile of poo poo in the backyard
Get the BMW idling
Get the BMW's exhaust welded
Get the BMW's interior manageable
Get the BMW out of my life for good
Work on the wood tools and get them operational
-----Drill Press
-----Table Saw
-----Joiner
-----Radial Arm Saw
-----Band Saw
Do something about that nasty rear end shed Leaving it
Fix the megafucked gate to the backyard
Dig, prep, gravel stuff for a driveway from the gate to the garage
Engine-From-Hell Coffee Table
SV-650 front tube seals/brakes/tire
Fix the grill
Fix the overheating problem with the Comanche

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'll be honest, I'm very surprised no one has tried to raid my garage yet.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

CommieGIR posted:

PM me your address and work schedule please. TIA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iForge posted:

PM me your address and work schedule please. TIA

My dog will lick you to death....

.....that's all I got.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

PM me your address and I'll drop a project car off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

Is your garage just the magnet for local thieves?

Didn't he kinda recently have a giant throbbing mass of homeless Subarus come through his garage?

*Wonders what the Venn diagram of his local thief population and local Subaru-driver population looks like.*

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

*Wonders what the Venn diagram of his local thief population and local Subaru-driver population looks like.*

I hastily put together a Venn diagram of this; the local Monster-drinking, Hoonigan-wearing Subaru-driver population is represented by the World Rally Blue circle, and the local thief population by the yellow circle:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

I'm not even mad. I was gonna make something cool out of it like a table but now I just get part-out money.

At some point I plan to get an unusable blocks from a few engines and make coffee tables/liquor bottle holders out of them too

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Nodoze posted:

At some point I plan to get an unusable blocks from a few engines and make coffee tables/liquor bottle holders out of them too

I still think a V12 wine rack would be boss as gently caress, if a bit inefficient spacewise. Although I've never been in a position to do it, and therefore have not researched whether or not an average wine bottle would fit in the bores.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Black88GTA posted:

I still think a V12 wine rack would be boss as gently caress, if a bit inefficient spacewise. Although I've never been in a position to do it, and therefore have not researched whether or not an average wine bottle would fit in the bores.

They should.... I mean, I did the math and bottles that size would fit in a 4AGE and a F20

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Adiabatic posted:

Someone must loveeeeeee knock knock jokes.

... if they don't, they're going to learn to appreciate them very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just got a response from the detective. They have him identified, he's wanted, and they're actively searching for him. She also wants footage of him taking the engine, which makes sense. Here's hoping that trail camera picked it up.