Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, you can click the title in question then select history and see when you took the throne.

Also, my Dublin plan hosed up, he won't become my vassal since I am not de Jure liege of Dublin. Time to reload. Learning experiences!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I've been Duke of Leon for 31 years. Man I'm not a very good duke. I like, built a castle.

edit: What do you do when your Church Vassals have opinions of 100 for both me and the Pope? How do I poison their minds against the Pope so I can get my taxes back?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Snak posted:

What am I supposed to do when it gives me a "loss of title on succession" alert. Like, I get it, when I die, my pathetic duchy will be split up among my children. I'm not seeing a way I can do anything about about that...
You have several options:
- Arrange for all but one of your children to die so they inherit everything (tricky now that you can't plot to kill your own children - also risky if your chosen heir dies)
- Consolidate your lands underneath a single top-level title, so that even though your second sons get some of the titles they'll still be vassals of your primary heir
- Change away from Gavelkind to a more winner-takes-all succession law. Primogeniture is usually the one to aim for, but requires high crown authority (which you can't even affect until you have a kingdom), so you might make a pit-stop at something else along the way.

quote:

also, unless i'm missing something, assassination plots are almost worthless. I can spend hundred of gold bribing people to support it, and it stays >100% for years before it finally trickles off and nothing. Of the 5 attempts I've gotten to make, only 1 has succeeded.

For assassination plots to work, you really need collaborators who hate the person you're stabbing. Newly-inherited rulers, heretics/heathens, and tyrants are usually pretty easy. So are people with low intrigue, whether because they're children or just because they suck.

200% is usually where your can count on things happening in a reasonable amount of time. If you can't get any support without throwing down cash, you're probably not going to achieve anything.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

See if you can play the petty duke game for the full game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

See if you can play the petty duke game for the full game

This is almost certainly what's going to happen. When does the game end? 1500 something?

Why the gently caress can't you plot to kill your own children? That seems like a totally medieval thing to do...

edit: can I make them commanders and send them to wars to die pointlessly?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Snak posted:

Why the gently caress can't you plot to kill your own children? That seems like a totally medieval thing to do...

You used to be able to. It was changed more as a game-balance thing, because the king murdering all of his sons until his chosen heir stands in line to inherit is a bit ahistorical.

You can totally make them commanders and have them die in battle though. Or if you find out they're leading a plot, arrest them and throw them in the oubliette to die. Or get them excommunicated and hope some zealous courtier decides to arrange things themselves.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think you might be able to kill close family if a special reason comes up.

Regarding plot power: I once found a thing online about how long it takes for an assassination attempt to be made on average. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

I think it was something like 6 years for 100% plot power.

Granted that's just an attempt, no certainty of success.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Snak posted:

also, unless i'm missing something, assassination plots are almost worthless. I can spend hundred of gold bribing people to support it, and it stays >100% for years before it finally trickles off and nothing. Of the 5 attempts I've gotten to make, only 1 has succeeded.

Oh my, no. You're going about it the wrong way if you're throwing your gold haphazardly about. As Jabor says, you want somebody who's hated or semi-hated by their country folk. If you aren't ~80% base without any sort of nudge, it's not worth trying to plot them and even then that's only if *need* them dead in a relatively short time frame and you have money/titles to blow. You'll typically want at least 90-100% plot power and some patience for things to happen. I've managed like 3-4 successful plots against children within a couple years when I had a lot of Intrigue and influence so people are willing to just do things for you. Nefarious things.

Don't forget you can also shift your Spymaster over to their province to aid in plot power.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How do you tell if other characters hate another, third-party character?
I started this assassination plot 5 popes ago. I don't even remember why I wanted to kill this now 58 year old woman.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Snak posted:

edit: What do you do when your Church Vassals have opinions of 100 for both me and the Pope? How do I poison their minds against the Pope so I can get my taxes back?
Switch to Free Investiture. The downside is that you risk excommunication.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Snak posted:

edit: Ultimogeniture is off-limits because Kingdom of Leon does not NOT have the law "Autonomous Vassals"

Wow, that's new. Ultimo used to always be available; that was one of its charms.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nah, Ultimogeniture is almost more powerful than Primogeniture in my opinion. Instead of your oldest eligible child inheriting, it's your youngest, which should generally mean longer reigns, plus you can divorce/stab your wife/concubines once you have a good heir, pump out a few bastards to legitimize in case of Sudden Good Heir Death Syndrome, and just coast on.

Ultimo's great when it works as planned. When it doesn't, you get a 12 year regency and there goes your crown authority straight into the crater.

Actually Ultimo's still great when you're not yet a king and don't have crown authority to care about. But apparently it's blocked off unless your de jure kingdom has zero crown authority now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just wanna give a shoutout to my AI liege who decided to hire a holy order to fight an alliance which only had one insignificant Muslim ruler in it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, hubris. Got greedy cause I thought my current character was nearing the end of his reign. Went all out on mecinaries, tried to press my claim on the Duchy of Asturias (to complete my title for Kingdom of Leon)

Asturias is made of nails. It's impossible to beat them. Outnumber them three to one, run out of money before the siege is over. Dismiss my mercs, take my remaining army up and down the kingdom obliterating their tiny units. I have war score of 80%. They won't surrender. The war goes on for 6 years. Eventually I have to offer white peace.

edit: just got trained by Mr Miyagi though.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Snak posted:

Oh man, hubris. Got greedy cause I thought my current character was nearing the end of his reign. Went all out on mecinaries, tried to press my claim on the Duchy of Asturias (to complete my title for Kingdom of Leon)

Asturias is made of nails. It's impossible to beat them. Outnumber them three to one, run out of money before the siege is over. Dismiss my mercs, take my remaining army up and down the kingdom obliterating their tiny units. I have war score of 80%. They won't surrender. The war goes on for 6 years. Eventually I have to offer white peace.

edit: just got trained by Mr Miyagi though.

I think what you're not doing is refreshing battered armies. Levies don't refill themselves so after enemy armies are destroyed if you don't have enough troops to siege then send your armies home, disband them and re-raise them. I can't think of any other reason you wouldn't be able to siege them down after six years of winning.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Trujillo posted:

I think what you're not doing is refreshing battered armies. Levies don't refill themselves so after enemy armies are destroyed if you don't have enough troops to siege then send your armies home, disband them and re-raise them. I can't think of any other reason you wouldn't be able to siege them down after six years of winning.

I mean, I knew that I needed to do that, but it didn't matter because without the money for mercenaries my army got too small to be able to siege. By time I did it, their army ended up twice the size of mine. And actually, because of all my mr miyagi training, I still took it apart. It was pretty awesome to see a 650 army take down an 1100 army. I couldn't believe it happened, but that's great leadership and bonuses for you. But by then my rear end in a top hat brother decided it was a good time to stage a revolt, so I ended up having to offer white peace to both enemies (not at the same time)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Take heart, when you eventually do finish this game, you'll have learned a lot from this school of hard knocks.

Meanwhile, I've unified Wales in all but name, just building up some cash to create the titles.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm kind of having fun, and it's nice that the scope of my problems is so small. it's just a really complicated game where they way things work is not immediately apparent from observation. And there's a large element of randomness. I imagine a large part of being a more experianced player in a better situation is creating buffers against these unknowns.

And despite aspects that are unrealistic, I really like how simulationist it is. While I might be frustrated that I'm not succeeding, I like that it's not easy and it makes sense that rushing into medieval noble politics without a good plan ends in failure. As a player, I am the embodiment of the naive yet cocky young noble who might learn to be a good ruler by the time he's 50 and already ruined most of his economic and political opportunities.

It's a pretty good game.

edit: how do I see when my truces expire? I want to try to take the county of Astorga again, and I can press the claim, but it says I'll be labled a "Truce Breaker" and other Christian rulers won't like it.

edit2: Oh it actually tells me right in that dialoge. not sure how I missed it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They'll show up on your (or any) ruler/character's page below your titles. Wars will show up in the same place.

My suggestion is once you're done with this game, try your hand at the whole "Unite Ireland" thing as Mumu or Dublin in 1066 (set 15th stamford bridge start). You should be able to apply your lessons there pretty well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why can't I join my leige's wars?
edit: hahaha old an infirm, I somehow inherited the Kingdom of Leon. Just fell into my lap after spending my entire life failing to conquer it.

so the great-grandson of Sancha the Cruel is finally ruling as King of Leon.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The rng Lord works in mysterious ways. :v:

[edit] Hmmm, should I go Primogeniture or Tanistry for the Kingdom of Wales. Anyone got experience with Tanistry?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 6, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like how you gain piety for not banging your hot relatives.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And yet you lose prestige for refuse to go sleeping around your court!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Snak posted:

I like how you gain piety for not banging your hot relatives.

Unless you're Lustful. Then you lose prestige for not banging your hot relatives.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Do AI Zoroastrians go out of their way to marry close relatives, or will they more often marry outside the family if titles/alliances are available?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hard to say, there really aren't any AI Zoroastrians that stick around longer than ten minutes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Hmmm, should I go Primogeniture or Tanistry for the Kingdom of Wales. Anyone got experience with Tanistry?

Tanistry used to be by far the best succession type in the game, but after a nerf to the way the ai votes, it's only one of the best.

Tanistry is really funny when every single count in your realm is also in your dynasty.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
There is a special ai which kicks in for Zoroastrian to marry close relatives. Know we have fixed bugs in it for 2.5 where the AI would sometimes be disgusted by the idea of marrying it's sister and stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
fix africa

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fix what?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Groogy posted:

Fix what?

IDK im just mad i have to try as opposed to not

make the retinue have a damage bonus at the minimum since west african is all about light infantry

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Groogy posted:

we have fixed bugs in it for 2.5 where the AI would sometimes be disgusted by the idea of marrying it's sister

This is why I love this game.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Groogy posted:

Fix what?

Give Ethopians a different clothing style than the dudes in Mali. Just have them use middle eastern clothes or something. Because as is it's pretty silly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Games > Crusader Kings II: We have fixed bugs where the AI would be disgusted by the idea of marrying its sister

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Actually speaking of Ethiopia I wish Miaphysites had some unique mechanics. Playing them is pretty much the same as playing the Byzantines, except without all the Roman stuff.

I mean hell at least Nestorians have a cool heresy even if the base religion is boring.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Games > Crusader Kings II: We have fixed bugs where the AI would be disgusted by the idea of marrying its sister

It is the last legacy left by Karolus Magnus who just left Paradox. He was a great man who had his priorities straight, he will be missed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How exactly does the "out of supply" mechanic work now?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So if a county that I want is controlled by my direct Vassal, but Crown Law doesn't not allow for revokation, there's just nothing I can do? I can't declare war on him... (I have a strong claim)

edit: Finally, the real (De Jure) Kingdom of Leon is mine!

Too bad I only have 2/5 holdings in my demesne.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 6, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

How exactly does the "out of supply" mechanic work now?

You take a small amount of attrition damage over time that scales up the longer you're out of supply.

You're only "out of supply" in neutral territory that is not adjacent to friendly/allied territory, though. Enemy territory doesn't cause it (presumably your troops are sacking the countryside), and stepping into friendly/allied land will instantly reset the counter to zero.

It's generally not an issue unless you're taking a huge trek across land to reach a crusade target or something. Being on boats will increase the "out of supply" timer, but won't cause the attrition damage, so you're still fine as long as you land in friendly/allied/enemy territory.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's generally not an issue unless you're taking a huge trek across land to reach a crusade target

Exactly what I was doing :v: How else is Poland supposed to get to Jerusalem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You take a small amount of attrition damage over time that scales up the longer you're out of supply.

You're only "out of supply" in neutral territory that is not adjacent to friendly/allied territory, though. Enemy territory doesn't cause it (presumably your troops are sacking the countryside), and stepping into friendly/allied land will instantly reset the counter to zero.

It's generally not an issue unless you're taking a huge trek across land to reach a crusade target or something. Being on boats will increase the "out of supply" timer, but won't cause the attrition damage, so you're still fine as long as you land in friendly/allied/enemy territory.

I might be wrong but I think that if you're in enemy lands and all the loot is gone you become out of supply. This normally isn't a major issue though.

• Locked thread