Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's funny is that the weirdest spam email I've ever received was this one:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/11/wont-you-help-a-poor-nigerian-astronaut-who-just-wants-to-come-home-from-space/

quote:

Dear Mr. Sir,

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

In the 14-years since he has been on the station, he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance.

Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account or subsequent disbursement, since we as civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names.

Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20 percent of the transferred sum, while 10 percent shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70 percent to other accounts in due course.

Kindly expedite action as we are behind schedule to enable us include downpayment in this financial quarter.

Please acknowledge the receipt of this message via my direct number 234 (0) 9-234-2220 only.

Yours Sincerely, Dr. Bakare Tunde

Astronautics Project Manager tip@nasrda.gov.ng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How do you get such high quality spam?
My junk folder contains nothing but "Meds BuyOnline" and "1 New LocalSlutAlert".
Just one new local slut and she's not even new! I got the same email from H0tApril asking for a h00kup last week.
Just once I want Dr. Bakare Tunde to ask me for a h00kup or offer me discount pharmaceuticals.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There are actually reports that show these things are deliberately outrageous to weed out people who wouldn't be gullible enough to pay up, so if someone actually replies there's a much better chance they can get a return on the time investment with them.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

So the server's been up for 3 days straight without problems besides having to restart it for the patches, though there's still some issues trying to find where people were building if they're on at different times. Think it would be possible to get around the mail issue by leaving stuff in the Outpost lockers? Granted, anyone can take it, but at least goodies would have a central drop point.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Got some errors this morning, not sure what to do with it. Seems this error came up a bit for other servers back in April, but I don't see a fix for it. Sorry whoever was trying to join, dunno what's wrong.

[08:53:56.258] Info: UniverseServer: Connection received from: 71.6.165.200:50502
[08:53:56.374] Warn: UniverseServer: client connection aborted
[08:53:56.648] Warn: I/O error in RemotePacketSocket::receiveData: (NetworkException) tcp recv error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
[08:54:01.430] Info: UniverseServer: Connection received from: 71.6.165.200:51666
[08:54:01.536] Warn: UniverseServer: client connection aborted
[08:54:01.702] Warn: I/O error in RemotePacketSocket::receiveData: (NetworkException) tcp recv error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Also, the joy of tenants:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hi, is the game good yet?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hi, is the game good yet?

No.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Made a new character after the recent string of updates and played for a while until I realized that this piece of poo poo game had somehow tricked me into playing again.
Some of the new stuff is pretty fun but it's somehow still not worth playing.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

Made a new character after the recent string of updates and played for a while until I realized that this piece of poo poo game had somehow tricked me into playing again.
Some of the new stuff is pretty fun but it's somehow still not worth playing.

There's more value in playing starbound than reading your post though.

I found some alpaca towns!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
grim creaped again

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

grim creaped again

What happened to your elephant? That avatar was so awesome.

It should have been added to starbound.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

grim creaped again

Why does everyone buy you avatars jfc.

e: like the bad ones, the elephant was cool.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Turtlicious posted:

The Star Citizen thread attracts the weirdest people.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Nalin posted:

like eonwe

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So... Why is this "space game" focusing on swords? Why not just make interesting guns?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So... Why is this "space game" focusing on swords? Why not just make interesting guns?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

star

bound

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in vaguely related news, star citizen is a flaming wreck

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

in vaguely related news, star citizen is a flaming wreck

what else was it going to be?

it's a game where you buy imaginary spaceships with real money, for no reason other than to be the best at imaginary spaceships. It was doomed to fail when the kickstarter first went up.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Deakul posted:

star

bound
star

citizen

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

star

t packing up the offices they're onto us

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Some kind of update today about new monsters.

quote:

What do you think these guys look like? :)

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
alpacas!!!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can't wait for the new Starbound update!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
tbh that kinda look like a vagina

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

robodex posted:

tbh that kinda look like a vagina

A vagina with an anglerfish lure attached to it. I worry about how whoever designed that monsters views woman.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thousands of hours of gameplay, farming and mining, slow backwards walking, waves of useless trash mobs while you search for uniques that drop cool clothing, eat food for temporary buffs and get potion sickness and cool downs on potions

Starbound was an mmo all along

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

What happened to your elephant? That avatar was so awesome.

It should have been added to starbound.

Turtlicious posted:

------------------------------

Nalin posted:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Slime posted:

A vagina with an anglerfish lure attached to it. I worry about how whoever designed that monsters views woman.

honestly i'm gay and that's pretty much exactly how i picture them

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Nomikos posted:

Some kind of update today about new monsters.

i want to forcibly insert my penis into this creature

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I like this game it is fun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Buttmeister posted:

brave

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Buttmeister posted:

Follow your heart. Don't let anyone else tell you what you can't do.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
j/k its only fun with mods

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Slow walking backwards is clearly supposed to make it so you can't run full speed backwards while shooting. Sadly, half of the ranged weapons have enough of a cooldown that you can just turn and run or jump over them or whatever and shoot again. The only thing it actually screws is fast shooting weapons, which are already really lovely so yea. Also fucks with fast melee weapons, while making big hitting weapons good because you can just joust.

Basically, it is A solution to a problem, but not a great solution. The better solution probably involves improving monster AI and skills.

It's a good example of how negative-incentive game design can falter when applied to a mechanic that doesn't feel overpowered. It just makes the entire mechanic less enjoyable overall.

The positive-incentive counterpart to this would instead be to create animal and melee weapon skills which give increased speed or even a dash ability, that ranged weapons/ranged enemies would not have available.

being able to scarf down infinite food or backpedal-shooting melee enemies/players is an obvious problem, but the most obvious solution to these aren't always the best ones.

Making plants refuse to grow while you're away is just retarded design from any viewpoint though. It's farming. This is literally how it works in real life. There is no entertainment value in forcing players to basically watch them grow.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 12, 2015

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Buttmeister posted:

this but unironically

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Neurolimal posted:

Making plants refuse to grow while you're away is just retarded design from any viewpoint though. It's farming. This is literally how it works in real life. There is no entertainment value in forcing players to basically watch them grow.

Is there a quote somewhere that says that this was a conscious decision and not just some unwanted behavior that they haven't gotten around to fixing? I'm willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt on this because them doing this on purpose is hard to believe.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Is there a quote somewhere that says that this was a conscious decision and not just some unwanted behavior that they haven't gotten around to fixing? I'm willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt on this because them doing this on purpose is hard to believe.

Well, they haven't done the 'Farming Update' yet so safe assumption is the entire farming system is a skeleton. Maybe if they don't do any more total combat overhauls they can finally get to other poo poo that needs work.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

The problem with starbound's devs is that they've never done anything on purpose, they're like a game of software developer pinball in a big demented machine

But to answer this question let's go back to a comment posted on their forums on 12 August, which killed the farmables update thread:

quote:

I also had the nightly build. The graphic for the "watered" plant changes the soil to a darker color. The rain did not change any of the soil and I did not get any growth during the rain unless I watered. They might have tweaked it but today's build will not start for me.

In the meantime the devs are hard at work implementing more scripted missions and unique raid boss monsters into their sandbox exploration game, i sure hope this guy's problems eventually get resolved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Buttmeister posted:

your wrong

• Locked thread