Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So, is Barony worth getting? It was recommended upthread as "by the guys who made Splendour, but way better", which sounds promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The rules for Liberty or Death are available here: http://www.gmtgames.com/libertyordeath/LODRulesFinal(nocoverart).pdf

Anyone want to give a breakdown on how it compares to other COIN games?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

GrandpaPants posted:

The rules for Liberty or Death are available here: http://www.gmtgames.com/libertyordeath/LODRulesFinal(nocoverart).pdf

Anyone want to give a breakdown on how it compares to other COIN games?

Will take a look. Your link was broken, but I fixed it.

EDIT: Cursory look: looks like combat has a more tactical element. Forts are new, as are leaders. Combat is still very euro (take an action to remove enemy forces), but the deployments of militias, forts, leaders etc. should make the ground game interesting. There's also a naval aspect that is new. Looks quite interesting.

The End fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 6, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Krazyface posted:

So, is Barony worth getting? It was recommended upthread as "by the guys who made Splendour, but way better", which sounds promising.

I played it a little while ago and i liked it very much. It's pretty and the rules are very simple.

It's basically a territory control game and plays a little like chess or Go in a way. There aren't enough pieces to cover every angle and if you turtle you won't score much. Scoring is done as you go along, so it's a game about positioning and reacting and knowing when to press and when to back off. It plays fairly quickly and is easy to learn and not super expensive. Ib liked it a lot and wanted to play again right after the first game.

If you don't like territory stuff and aren't jazzed about the fact that pieces are "what you see is what you get" (ie no secret weapons or force multipliers) and resolution is very A > B > C simple, then you might not like it but I found it pretty cool.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Someone was asking about the new COINs coming out next year. Apparently Falling Sky is going to be similar to Cuba Libre in that it's a smaller, less complex game. Looking at that one and ADP, the theme and politics in ADP sound really interesting.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The End posted:

Will take a look. Your link was broken, but I fixed it.

EDIT: Cursory look: looks like combat has a more tactical element. Forts are new, as are leaders. Combat is still very euro (take an action to remove enemy forces), but the deployments of militias, forts, leaders etc. should make the ground game interesting. There's also a naval aspect that is new. Looks quite interesting.

An interesting bit that jumped out at me: The Winter Quarters card (this games Propaganda/Coup equivalent) fires immediately when it's turned up on top of the deck, swapping places with the active card. This means you don't get the usual turn of advance warning before a victory check and/or resupply.

Not 100% sure how I feel about this change. On the one hand, it's probably more accurate, since western predictive meteorology didn't hit its stride until 1904ish. On the other, it seems like it can exacerbate the RNG. Someone could theoretically scoop a lucky win by launching an unsupportable offense, then ripping the WQ off the top.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Got Imperial 2030 in that big US math trade so that's cool, I've been wanting it for a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mottainai is so good. drat.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gutter Owl posted:

An interesting bit that jumped out at me: The Winter Quarters card (this games Propaganda/Coup equivalent) fires immediately when it's turned up on top of the deck, swapping places with the active card. This means you don't get the usual turn of advance warning before a victory check and/or resupply.

Not 100% sure how I feel about this change. On the one hand, it's probably more accurate, since western predictive meteorology didn't hit its stride until 1904ish. On the other, it seems like it can exacerbate the RNG. Someone could theoretically scoop a lucky win by launching an unsupportable offense, then ripping the WQ off the top.

It does have an official optional rule for the old way, though. Wonder why they changed it- is the playbook out yet?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Got to play Forbidden Stars tonight for the first time. Grabbed the Orkz because :orks:. Turn 1, grabbed the Rokk upgrade card, built a city, Dominated for a discount token which I used to build a Nob, then Rokk-walked the Nob and Boyz onto an objective. Turn 2, I bought some Nobz upgrades, and did the same thing. Turn 3, I got blocked in by warp storms so I punched the Ultramarines player's factory and sat on it, and bought the other Nobz upgrades and some ships from his factory while the Chaos and Eldar players got to 3 VP with their 4ths both easily in reach. They discussed the tiebreakers and which of them would win. Turn 4, I use the ships to roll my squad of Nobz to objective 3, left Boyz there to hold it, used a Scheme card to do an in-system combat move to punch the Ultramarines player off another planet closer to the next sector, then moved the ships and 2/3 Nobz to grab my 4th objective, winning on tiebreakers with 1 more planet than the Eldar.

Orkz is Best, and the other players agreed that I performed an excellent WAAAAAAAAGH! in building up a constantly-strengthing cannonball of green punchiness that just rolled through everything in its way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Want to grab a new game for a local bg theme night. What's the best thing that would fit "Rolling Dice"? Also prefer something that does 4 people (or 5-6, minimum 4) well, is more towards 60 minutes or less, and is maybe in the $50 or lower range.

RftG? Seasons?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've had my eye on King of New York for a while. Maybe try that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Toshimo posted:

Want to grab a new game for a local bg theme night. What's the best thing that would fit "Rolling Dice"? Also prefer something that does 4 people (or 5-6, minimum 4) well, is more towards 60 minutes or less, and is maybe in the $50 or lower range.

RftG? Seasons?

If you've got a hankering for dice you need to just go full on Roll for the Galaxy.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I enjoyed King's Forge quite a bit for a dice rolling game. Less enthusiastic about Roll for the Galaxy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

words about Barony

to add to this, I found it particularly interesting that there are no "gotcha" moves - due to placement rules, no one can just sneak up on you. You may be unable to retaliate/defend against someone in time, but there's no attack that takes just one turn.

Barony is excellent.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I know most people here are neckbearded Ascension haters (that game that's like Dominion but better), but the next (8th) expansion was announced.

The new mechanic, Dreamborn, gives players an insight token (a currency that carries over at the end of the round) when it flops, as well as one to the acquiring player (and other card effects).

With these tokens, players can buy cards from their "dream deck", which they draft at the start. You get 5 dream cards and keep 3 (hidden), and then start the game as normal. Dream cards can be things you acquire to your deck, or one-shot effects. The idea is that it gives you some sort of direction or strategy to aim for at the very start, and lets you keep late-game cards in reserve for later (which would just poo poo up the center row for 10 turns otherwise)

They also have a different art style for dream cards, which seemed to be the source of the most bitching about the game.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 6, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Got Imperial 2030 in that big US math trade so that's cool, I've been wanting it for a while.

I've only played the original but it's super good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know most people here are neckbearded Ascension haters (that game that's like Dominion but better), but the next (8th) expansion was announced.

The new mechanic, Dreamborn, gives players an insight token (a currency that carries over at the end of the round) when it flops, as well as one to the acquiring player (and other card effects).

With these tokens, players can buy cards from their "dream deck", which they draft at the start. You get 5 dream cards and keep 3 (hidden), and then start the game as normal. Dream cards can be things you acquire to your deck, or one-shot effects. The idea is that it gives you some sort of direction or strategy to aim for at the very start, and lets you keep late-game cards in reserve for later (which would just poo poo up the center row for 10 turns otherwise)

They also have a different art style for dream cards, which seemed to be the source of the most bitching about the game.

So, they cranked variance TO THE XTREME on Coinflip: The Deckbuilder and you think the chief complaint about the game was the art?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The chief complaint amongst ascension players, which actually seems more plausible than complaints about the game design.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Toshimo posted:

RftG? Seasons?

The diciest game is still Quantum. The theme is literally Dice in Space. You don't roll them too often though, so that might not be exactly it. Sushi Dice is pretty fun, though it is more a filler than a main course, but you get to roll dice as fast as you can, which is fun. Escape requires a soundtrack and is way overpriced, but if you can find a cheap copy, it also involves a shitton of dicerolling.

I have not played Roll for the Galaxy (because cloth bags and board game cafes should never mix, eww), so if everyone else tells you to get it, don't let my lack of recommendation dissuade you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It keeps happening

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

It keeps happening

Play Tier auf Tier instead. You guys seem like advanced players already.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
gently caress dumb dextertity games, animal sex race genre is where it's at.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

bowmore posted:

My copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies finally arrived from Kickstarter, I am impressed by the quality of the components and card stock. They managed to fit quite a lot in a small box. Fingers crossed it's actually fun to play!

I enjoyed it, though the 30 mins playtime on the side of the box is lies. Especially with some of the KS cards which add a lot more choices.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its my second game!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also I've not run into this problem with gaming groups in a long time but I had hoped I'd never have to deal with body odor with distinct fecal tones ever again. :barf:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Archenteron posted:

Got to play Forbidden Stars tonight for the first time. Grabbed the Orkz because :orks:. Turn 1, grabbed the Rokk upgrade card, built a city, Dominated for a discount token which I used to build a Nob, then Rokk-walked the Nob and Boyz onto an objective. Turn 2, I bought some Nobz upgrades, and did the same thing. Turn 3, I got blocked in by warp storms so I punched the Ultramarines player's factory and sat on it, and bought the other Nobz upgrades and some ships from his factory while the Chaos and Eldar players got to 3 VP with their 4ths both easily in reach. They discussed the tiebreakers and which of them would win. Turn 4, I use the ships to roll my squad of Nobz to objective 3, left Boyz there to hold it, used a Scheme card to do an in-system combat move to punch the Ultramarines player off another planet closer to the next sector, then moved the ships and 2/3 Nobz to grab my 4th objective, winning on tiebreakers with 1 more planet than the Eldar.

The planet tiebreaker always seems really weird to me. Especially as an Eldar player since I tend to have more stuff in space than on the ground!

Has anyone mentioned The Others: Seven Sins yet? It's the last 15 hours of it on Kickstarter and the first boardgame I've backed. Tonnes of extra stuff and made by the Chaos In The Old World guy. I've not got a lot of faith in Guillotine games since Zombicide is so laughably easy but I couldn't help myself after reading the rules. Also it has some amazing models.
I guess I just wanted all the expansions at once. I kinda think the game wouldn't be worth it to buy in the shops without the other sins in it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know most people here are neckbearded Ascension haters (that game that's like Dominion but better)

This is how Thunderstone was described to me. I am not so naive anymore, no one has improved on Dominion.

That is unless you count Mage Knight, and I do. You should buy Mage Knight instead of that 8th Ascension expansion.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is it just me or does the board art for Liberty or Death make it really hard to tell what is going on? Everything seems to be blending together in a tan/brown/green kind of mess. Not a fan of the font either. Maybe it's just because this is the first COIN game that I really have no interest in the period so i'm judging it more harshly.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Taear posted:

The planet tiebreaker always seems really weird to me. Especially as an Eldar player since I tend to have more stuff in space than on the ground!

Has anyone mentioned The Others: Seven Sins yet? It's the last 15 hours of it on Kickstarter and the first boardgame I've backed. Tonnes of extra stuff and made by the Chaos In The Old World guy. I've not got a lot of faith in Guillotine games since Zombicide is so laughably easy but I couldn't help myself after reading the rules. Also it has some amazing models.
I guess I just wanted all the expansions at once. I kinda think the game wouldn't be worth it to buy in the shops without the other sins in it.

"In The Others: 7 Sins, the world stands on the brink of apocalypse, as the fanatics of the Hell Club have summoned the 7 Deadly Sins to lay waste to our reality. "

Hell Club

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think it will be fine in a 1:1 scale, with a sort of eurogame area control look. It's just kinda busy when resized down to preview .jpgs.

I think the graphics are actually the best thing shown so far about this game. Terrain in previous COINs always struck me as 90s videogame textures.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hell Club is the name of the 2x4 I use to beat the Hell out of people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthOrange posted:

It keeps happening

Not using the Photographer, an inferior anecdote.

Someone on another forum I frequent has released an Android app called Liquidity that automatically tracks player cash balances in board games. It was intended for Monopoly, but is generic. You can store more than one player's balance on a single phone, so everyone doesn't need their own device.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Mantis posted:

"In The Others: 7 Sins, the world stands on the brink of apocalypse, as the fanatics of the Hell Club have summoned the 7 Deadly Sins to lay waste to our reality. "

Hell Club

Not much different from the Hellfire Club in the Xmen comics tbh. Seems like a pretty normal name to me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

This is how Thunderstone was described to me. I am not so naive anymore, no one has improved on Dominion.

That is unless you count Mage Knight, and I do. You should buy Mage Knight instead of that 8th Ascension expansion.

Comparing Mage Knight to Dominion is like comparing the best strawberry cheesecake you've had to a fresh strawberry. Both are awesome, but the cheesecake is so much more than just the strawberry. But sometimes you just want the berry. In the comparison, Ascension is vodka with frozen strawberries, which is recognizable as strawberry based, but way worse in every way, expect it gets you drunk (with awesome combos).

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
My girlfriend is going to purchase adventure time love letter for her nephew and I am gonna let her use my free shipping to do so. Was thinking of adding something for myself, but I just got a gigantic box of great games.

So the question is: If I like Valley of the Kings after having just gotten it, is it safe to buy Afterlife this soon after? Seems like it expands the games possible set ups without adding any new rules....

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Taear posted:

It looks like something that I'd at least give a try, and some of the monsters look pretty cool.

But, is it just not possible to make a miniatures games without tits hanging out everywhere? Like seriously. If it wasn't for that, I might reluctantly drop 100 bucks on this based on the strength of Chaos and cool minis. This cheesecake poo poo is out of control.

If only there was a miniatures skirmish game without hyper-sexualized heroes. (There is, it's Imperial Assault)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

It looks like something that I'd at least give a try, and some of the monsters look pretty cool.

But, is it just not possible to make a miniatures games without tits hanging out everywhere? Like seriously. If it wasn't for that, I might reluctantly drop 100 bucks on this based on the strength of Chaos and cool minis. This cheesecake poo poo is out of control.

If only there was a miniatures skirmish game without hyper-sexualized heroes. (There is, it's Imperial Assault)

I think the men are quite sexualised as well, kinda feel like it's moving towards an 80s B movie style. There's women in there that don't have that sort of breasts out look - Rosario, Elle and Kanga for sure.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Taear posted:

I think the men are quite sexualised as well, kinda feel like it's moving towards an 80s B movie style. There's women in there that don't have that sort of breasts out look - Rosario, Elle and Kanga for sure.

I have never seen anyone talk about men being sexualised in....well, anything, unless it is as a response to someone complaining about women being sexualised. Though I do get the point that "this is a ridiculous presentation of men as well" it doesn't seem to bother anyone. People seem to be legitimately bothered by sexualised women. It doesn't really bother me, but I could easily do away with it since it turns people off from a cool hobby without adding anything of value. Same goes for big ol beefy cheesecake men, but I don't think that really is comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Taear posted:

Different kinds of sexualization. Women are often sexual fantasies for men, while men are power fantasies... also for men.