Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Iron Tusk posted:

Isn't there usually an open Q/A session during the main presentation?

It's everyone's favorite part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

http://gfycat.com/ExcellentVastAfricanparadiseflycatcher

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 6, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Goredema posted:

This will always be the correct response to that request:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

REFUND EDIT: After their initial response to my refund request last Saturday saying "sure, no problem", CIG has retreated deep into "we're super busy" form-letter dithering for the last week. I sent back a response asking for even more poo poo to get refunded, since I realized there were a few more things I could dump. Let's see how long they can stall on this... Although if it gets much closer to Citizen Con, I may go to my bank and start the charge-back process. This feels less and less like being swamped, and more and more like deliberate stalling. :argh:

By the looks of it you ain't getting a refund and chargebacks are the way to go.

I'm willing to bet that those of you with refunds still pending might be SOL soon.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

spacetoaster posted:

It's everyone's favorite part.

Is that the guy who exiled Kimsemus?

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015
/r/starcitizen is now a glorious place to be. How long since the escapist updated their article? It takes CR 8 hours to write a response so I'm trying to figure out when the poo poo will kick off again.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Thinking about filk candidates and the Firefly opening is eerily relevant to the brown sea's unwavering devotion to the church of spaceship jpegs.

nopantsjack posted:

Unless everyone in their legal department and advisors are subservient to Croberts they've all been telling him and Ortwin or whoever to shut the gently caress up the past day or two.
Considering what we know about blowhards and legal ... :woof:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yo I just caught up from the whole dunkin donuts thing what up

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I haven't had Dunkin Doughnuts coffee. Is it good coffee or is it bad in classic American ideal of having really bad coffee.

But I'm not a huge fan of doughnuts so clearly I don't know where all of the money has gone.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dusty Lens posted:

I haven't had Dunkin Doughnuts coffee. Is it good coffee or is it bad in classic American ideal of having really bad coffee.

But I'm not a huge fan of doughnuts so clearly I don't know where all of the money has gone.

I think we determined that $8,000 at a Dunkin Doughnuts wasn't actually an unreasonable amount of money if CIG was buying doughnuts and coffee for everyone in the office every day for a year. It could be argued they shouldn't have done that but there are bigger financial issues, like Sandi going to Monte Carlo on spaceship money.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 6, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

:golfclap:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How did the $8,000 of donut money come to light?

Also, while its explainable as a daily purchase, if I were mega millionaire already that got his vanity project funded on dreams, I'd probably pay for gratis food and staff holiday parties out of my own pocket to avoid even the smallest hint of fiscal impropriety. As I'd want to be able to keep going back to the well of public funding for the rest of my career and keep a sterling reputation for judicious use of backer funds. But with Chris I doubt that is part of the thought process.

Its like how Tim Schafer couldn't help himself to not take a poo poo in that same well.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 6, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its like how Tim Schafer couldn't help himself to not take a poo poo in that same well.
Coincidentally Double Fine dropped a stillborn space sim that was kickstarted too. Wonder if it's some ancient alien curse... :tinfoil:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Space is so big, when you make games about it they like to die

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/287905/reasons-to-stop-panicking-and-start-thinking

Gotta love Imperium.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FilthyImp posted:

Coincidentally Double Fine dropped a stillborn space sim that was kickstarted too. Wonder if it's some ancient alien curse... :tinfoil:

Nah the space base dwarf-fortress-clone was just early access, not kickstarter. And the way they handled it was super lovely, they straight up said they never had the money to make the game unless lots of people bought it unfinished. Pretty much caused valve to update their terms for getting on early access with "this is not a fundraising platform". (For a while anyways, now they've just opened the floodgates and curate the gently caress outta the front page.)

But yeah, it's notable that doublefine has not returned to kickstarter since then.

Dusty Lens posted:

It ain't terrible, at least in the new england area that's their home turf.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Right or wrong, emotional legal letters are never a good idea:
https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

(sorry if this was posted already, this thread moves like a greased slippery slide)

Edit - I've been told this is old news, never mind.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 6, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

they seem to only include the salary of developers.... CEO and VP of Marketing are not included? nooice!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, brute force that poo poo. Eventually they'll reach a saturation point for how much money they can waste and some will start trickling down to the actual game.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Rebel Galaxy is pretty much that game.

It doesn't have sword fighting or dancing minigames. But it does have a sick slide guitar soundtrack.
I want this.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Thinking about filk candidates and the Firefly opening is eerily relevant to the brown sea's unwavering devotion to the church of spaceship jpegs.
No poo poo, if I was in charge of PR for Citcon, I'd hire a band to play to play this at the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4
And then I'd march out the Wing Commander/Star Wars/Firefly VO cast.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Alas. :smith:

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 6, 2015

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Another 60-100 million inflating the cost of development from their original estimate of 24 million fully funded. Ah what the hell, what is another 100 million anyway. Just pocket change for some I guess.

They are lucky to get the 90 million they have just on hype alone. The next 100 million, there will be no hype. Its not going to happen without a well functioning game and certainly not be raised as quickly now that they have gone back on the promises they made that got them the first 90 million to begin with.

Calling EA now...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

quote:

... The party was now a mortally wounded party. All the fun had gone out of it, as the occasional broken-backed pirouette could not disguise.

The longer, at this point, that it avoided the ground, the heavier was going to be the crash when finally it hit it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think their numbers are bullshit.

VenusRedux
Oct 5, 2015

Sometimes it's hard to blame them. Every time someone is a oval office they throw in more cash.

Romes128 posted:

I think their numbers are bullshit.

I want to believe.

VenusRedux fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 6, 2015

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
This month will be a high dollar month for them despite the controversy because of CitCon as is typical for these events. The key, i think, to determining their future funding strength will be in their 6 month average, which has been going down.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kickstarter has been pretty great for small studios, the trick is to:

a) support existing studios that already have a title or two to their name (even if it's just Harebrained Schemes' mobile app, being able to ship things is important); and which

b) aren't run by someone who was forced out of the game industry a decade ago because he was consistently over-budget, behind schedule, and under-delivering.

Kickstarter games changing scope or features slightly during development isn't a failure, that's literally every game developed ever. Likewise minor slips in delivery date in order to polish aren't really a bad thing and happen with publisher funded games all the time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

a) support existing studios that already have a title or two to their name (even if it's just Harebrained Schemes' mobile app, being able to ship things is important); and which

b) aren't run by someone who was forced out of the game industry a decade ago because he was consistently over-budget, behind schedule, and under-delivering.

Kickstarter games changing scope or features slightly during development isn't a failure, that's literally every game developed ever. Likewise minor slips in delivery date in order to polish aren't really a bad thing and happen with publisher funded games all the time.

Thanks for the trick.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
IS there are summery somewhere of all of this drama?/ what the gently caress is going on?

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

sorla78 posted:

Former CIG Audio Director and Music Legend Martin Galway chips in:
https://www.facebook.com/Martin-Galway-C64-148288578555308/timeline/

Martin Galway C64
Yesterday at 09:57 ·

Great article concerning the company I left over a year ago http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/10/02/the-excess-of-star-citizen-is-the-price-gaming-pays-for-upholding-the-great-man-myth/

bres0048 posted:

It isn't talked about much but has anyone kept track of all the big names / positions that have walked away from this. I seem to recall mad talent either bouncing on the cult or getting let go.
Eric Peterson, Chris Olivia, Martin Galway (these 3 were original founders with no neck and croberts), Rob Irving, Travis Day, Alex Mayberry, and David Hobbins. Is this a normal turn over in the industry
for lead devs/producers

What bothers me is too many people I connected with and respected say the same thing. Virtually everyone I liked is gone. I don't mind Vorlick, and there are a few others I'm waiting to see bail. Another nail in the coffin of good management.

Skoll posted:

Kinda funny how the Descent guys who broke away from CIG already have a working game up that looks pretty smooth and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gql1zCE_Gq8

I'm thinking of grabbing a package and giving it a go. Can anyone recommend a package? Just the $30 to back one?

http://descendentstudios.com/store?category=1&p=42

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Reb posted:

what the gently caress is going on?
Absolutely everything.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Reb posted:

IS there are summery somewhere of all of this drama?/ what the gently caress is going on?

The Stars are falling

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I keep getting surprised how well developers who fall in variations of the last category get funded. Like Peter Molyneux's Godus for example, which went exactly as backers should have predicted.

Reb posted:

Here is the summary of the last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bootcha posted:

I want this.

No poo poo, if I was in charge of PR for Citcon, I'd hire a band to play to play this at the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4
And then I'd march out the Wing Commander/Star Wars/Firefly VO cast.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Alas. :smith:

Holy poo poo that song is amazing. If Croberts added it to Star Citizen i would buy a jpeg right now. .. :(

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

That doesn't explain the donuts. Someone clearly has to make another one explaining that.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
I have found my people. Finally, common sense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reb posted:

That doesn't explain the donuts. Someone clearly has to make another one explaining that.

:lesnick:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

I keep getting surprised how well developers who fall in variations of the last category get funded. Like Peter Molyneux's Godus for example, which went exactly as backers should have predicted.

I mean people are saying Kickstarter is terrible but really every failure has been entirely predicatable:

Chris Roberts: man known for running projects into the ground by being over-budget, over-schedule, and under-delivering does exactly that

Tim Schafer: man known for making incredibly quirky hit-and-miss adventure games does exactly that, has a couple of misses.

Peter Molyneux: IT'S PETER MOLYNEUX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Alchenar posted:

I mean people are saying Kickstarter is terrible but really every failure has been entirely predicatable:

Chris Roberts: man known for running projects into the ground by being over-budget, over-schedule, and under-delivering does exactly that

Tim Schafer: man known for making incredibly quirky hit-and-miss adventure games does exactly that, has a couple of misses.

Peter Molyneux: IT'S PETER MOLYNEUX

We should probably stop funding project leaders from the 90s. It doesn't work out too well.

This isn't a summary of the shitstorm, but it gives a good rundown of the legalese that is going down now: https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

Basically, CIG is fighting what they believe to be Libel. Proving libel is very, very hard.

• Locked thread