Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I thought he was being sarcastic. That just reaffirms my earlier opinion. It feels like the worst of Family Guy belabouring a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The timing on that joke isn't that bad or anything, but having seen the trailer it's not like that one joke could possibly turn me around on the rest of it. Sorry.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ya I thought he was being sarcastic too

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Anybody gonna go see this in holographic 3D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl092whRLlI

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Universal is going all-out for their BTTF promotions for the BTTF2 anniversary. I like a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrwRdzFP-fY

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Universal is going all-out for their BTTF promotions for the BTTF2 anniversary. I like a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrwRdzFP-fY

I want that. I need that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm kinda glad they never got that Back to the Future remake off the ground like what was rumored.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

The timing on that joke isn't that bad or anything, but having seen the trailer it's not like that one joke could possibly turn me around on the rest of it. Sorry.

If that scene lasted 5 seconds longer the demon would look right into the camera and yell "GET IT?! CAUSE TACO BELL IS TERRIBLE!! DO YOU GET THE JOKE?!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Asiina posted:

If that scene lasted 5 seconds longer the demon would look right into the camera and yell "GET IT?! CAUSE TACO BELL IS TERRIBLE!! DO YOU GET THE JOKE?!"

That's not the joke.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

You cannot tell me that you watched Breaking Bad in its entirety and do not appreciate Aaron Paul's outstanding abilities.

Now if you didn't watch BB that's one thing but he's straight up amazing.

I watched Breaking Bad and it's one of my favorite shows ever, but I thought Aaron Paul was only ever "good" in it and that was on very few occasions. He's just a bit one dimensional to me. It feels like he can only ever emote through breath-y deliveries.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm kinda glad they never got that Back to the Future remake off the ground like what was rumored.

I think BTTF2 being in 2015 which would make comparisons to the originals too messy, alongside the fact that 1985 isn't really seen as a more "wholesome" or "simpler" era than 2015 which really anchored the 1985-1955 dynamic of the first one, were big driving factors.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Aaron Paul evolves his character slowly from the comedic one-dimension side character he was originally envisioned to be into a tragic, human, rough-edged but sympathetic character. He did a really good loving job, and I'm glad he's getting more roles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only thing I feel about that is that it's been too long since we've seen Joe Pesci.

Pacino and DeNiro haven't given a flying gently caress in so long that it's hard for me to get excited about it, even if it is Scorsese.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Aaron Paul is an excellent actor and he should get more roles. Also, Breaking Bad was his first television series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Pacino and DeNiro haven't given a flying gently caress in so long that it's hard for me to get excited about it, even if it is Scorsese.

A gang's all back mob movie could go either way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mind the walrus posted:

I think BTTF2 being in 2015 which would make comparisons to the originals too messy, alongside the fact that 1985 isn't really seen as a more "wholesome" or "simpler" era than 2015 which really anchored the 1985-1955 dynamic of the first one, were big driving factors.

That was kind of the whole appeal. And there's been a lot of nostalgia about the 80s for a while, moreso from conservatives but also from the youth of that day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Al Pacino played Al Pacino in Jack & Jill, where he romances Adam Sandler.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

computer parts posted:

That was kind of the whole appeal. And there's been a lot of nostalgia about the 80s for a while, moreso from conservatives but also from the youth of that day.

Yes but the 80s were an incredibly materialistic and self-aware time, while the 50s were a plastic shell of wholesome simplicity covering a pitch-black abyss of human despair. Marty of the 80s could go back to the 50s and seem like a kid from a much bigger world dropped in a smaller pond where the biggest worries are over a high school dance and it seemed plausible, but what would a Marty from 2015 think going back to the 1980s?

Well, Hot Tub Time Machine had that covered-- invent Google/the internet, transport any pop culture you can remember into the 80s for a quick buck, adjust to Cold War paranoia vs. Terrorism paranoia, and generally recognize that life isn't all that different outside of the ease with which you can get information/media. Any halfway intelligent kid from 2015 just plain knows what the score is in that regard.

Maybe Lord&Miller could find some emotional resonance there, but I just don't see it.

A gang's all back mob movie could go either way.

I want to believe that Pesci would make them step their game up, but who knows. Maybe if they get Leo to do his "debauched playboy" routine and surround him with Wolf of Wall Street-alikes the old guard will step up by sheer proximity.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Asiina posted:

This is very awkward...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is very awkward...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It was a huge surprise to see him in that FBI movie DeNiro directed.

I imagine a guy you've known and been great friends with for thirty years being like "hey I'm making a CIA movie with Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie, I think you should play a mobster in it" is a hard thing to turn down.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Aaron Paul was great in BB and I'm glad to see him in any movie where he shows more emotion, even that Need for Speed, which was good when he was on screen, but needlessly padded its runtime with lovely lame rock song montages. Also Joe Pesci owns and deserves an Oscar for lifetime accomplishment or w/e.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The MSJ posted:

Al Pacino played Al Pacino in Jack & Jill, where he romances Adam Sandler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S6eUFbOfIU

I haven't seen the movie, but that may be the scene that legitimatizes it's existence.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Now I want a remake of Mac & Me that features Al Pacino in the McDonald's scene.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
What's the joke then, since that's all I saw and it was terrible.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Asiina posted:

What's the joke then, since that's all I saw and it was terrible.

You want pizza but we only have tacos because it's HELL.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Peanut President posted:

You want pizza but we only have tacos because it's HELL.

That's still an awful joke, especially in the execution.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Hurt posted:

That's still an awful joke, especially in the execution.

Correct! And yet that's the joke they decided to highlight in the trailer.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So it's exactly what I said but without the brand names. There wasn't anything more to the joke at all and it's still absolutely awful. How could anyone find that funny?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asiina posted:

There wasn't anything more to the joke at all and it's still absolutely awful. How could anyone find that funny?

I guess we can at least look forwards to a Mystery Science Theater episode about this movie in about 10 years? :shrug:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Asiina posted:

So it's exactly what I said but without the brand names. There wasn't anything more to the joke at all and it's still absolutely awful. How could anyone find that funny?

The joke is how silly and minor a torture it is, and how into it the demon is, and generally how low-stakes the presentation of hell is, to have a Taco Bell / Pizza Hut location but not actually serve pizza. It has nothing to do with the quality of Taco Bell or tacos.

The clip itself isn't particularly funny, so we all appreciate you providing the amusement of suggesting that the clip is completely over-selling a joke that it isn't actually making.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
something awful is a comedy website not because we are funny but because we enjoy cutting into the insides of jokes like some sort of graces antatonmy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

There's a joke in there for sure, it's just an unintentional one about just who is being tortured.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mr.capps posted:

something awful is a comedy website not because we are funny but because we enjoy cutting into the insides of jokes like some sort of graces antatonmy

Something awful is a comedy website because people on this site don't get jokes which is in itself hilarious.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Who's Grace?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grace's Anatomy.

:wiggle:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
leonard da vinci invented it, you have will anatomy for boys and grace anantomy for girls

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Uhhhh yeah I was being sarcastic. That sure spawned a lot of posts.

That Triple 9 trailer looks awesome, glad to have Hillcoat back doing something, The Proposition is one of my all time favorites. I'm not quite so low on Lawless as some goons seem to be (Shia effect presumably) but it was kinda mediocre overall yeahhhh. I didn't mind Guy Pearce's cartoonish amaciated guy tho, he really seemed like he was dying of Prohibition AIDS or something and I liked that one line about tommy guns. I doubt this'll be close to The Proposition but it would be cool to see the guy back in form and Kate Winslet as a Russian mobster sounds fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oddly that's the one movie people don't dog Shia about. It's more Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy Pearce is at least a bit interesting. Tom Hardy's part could have been played by a mildly irritated gorilla. I don't recall Jason Clarke or Jessica Chastain enough to even insult them.

Never had an issue with Shia. He's fine in Lawless and drat fine in Fury.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 7, 2015

• Locked thread