Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Antti posted:

I didn't pick that up, because in Evangelion it's Third Children, not Child. :colbert:

I remember there being some crazy fan theory to explain why it's really "Children" and it's totally not just some unfortunate Engrish

Spoilers for old anime: One notion I heard is it's because the name convention started with Rei, who is plural.

It's too bad mission 51 got cut, but one thing I'm kind of glad didn't make it in is the notion that Mantis can just psychic out the parasites, since that would cheapen a lot of the other plot events with them, and contradict him saying way back in 1 that he'd never used his powers to help anybody before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, Extreme Code Talker is just kicking my rear end. It's the last mission I've got and even rolling up on the skulls in a tank is no good.

net cafe scandal posted:

When people say the MGS3 support team forming the Patriots was like this big shark jumping moment I think to myself, there is a person who did not use the codec very often.

Additionally: Major Zero's code for Operation Snake Eater is "Who are the Patriots?" "La-li-lu-le-lo". That's Kojima practically screaming "This is the guy who started the Patriots!"

The distinction is that the Patriots weren't supposed to be evil, but Cipher and the Patriots grew into something that Major Zero couldn't control. Skull Face and guys like him, violent, unreasonable, selfish men, upset his perfect idea of an orderly world. That's the old "Who watches the watchmen?" question.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 6, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He Who Controls Information being relegated to Ron Reagan levels of useless brain goop is pretty poetic though.

So, like, did Skullface weaponize/invent Alzheimer's or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's just another parasite that eats away at the brain I think.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's implied he did, yeah. He had a parasite that inflicted Alzheimer's, sent a medal with a pin to Major Zero in the hope he'd prick himself on it and infect himself.

I kind of like how Major Zero is the only guy polite enough to call Skull Face by his rank.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

When Zero says XO it kind of sounds like a diss though. Lol. I love Zero, and his new voice actor.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Is Skull Face just his codename, or is that just an insult developed by our heroes? I can't remember if he calls himself Skull Face at any point. I mean the credits call him Skull Face but that's kind of insulting. Everyone who speaks to him only refers to him as "that man with no face" or "the guy with the skull face" or whatever, so I guess he never introduces himself to anyone.

Although I guess he can't just give people his name because parasites.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Speedball posted:

Jesus, Extreme Code Talker is just kicking my rear end. It's the last mission I've got and even rolling up on the skulls in a tank is no good.

If you're just trying to complete it / get an S rank, I would say to bring D-dog and sneak around to the right to bypass the Skulls entirely. There are a bunch of hidden rock paths and cracks you can climb that I didn't know about until I did extreme. If you're patient and equip night vision to keep your eyes on where the skulls are looking, you'll make it through.

The rest of the mission plays out like normal. If you don't mind a little combat, it's worth going for the Code Talker no damage task, because it's easier with zombies instead of soldiers. The beginning of the segment (inside the back room of the mansion) is the hardest, because there are four or so zombies plus two or three outside. You'll want to kill the majority of them – bringing an SMG is a good idea.

With regards to the rest of the tasks (killing/extracting skulls and extracting the APC), I would honestly recommend stealth camo. If you've put up with this game's bullshit long enough, you've earned it. Between camo/NVG/Ddog you should be able to keep an eye on the skulls, and you can outsnipe them when you're careful. If you're lactose intolerant, then I guess do the same sniping strategy but constantly duck to avoid their shots.

I think you need to kill all four to make sure there are no zombies and the APC shows up. Getting the APC is a bitch, but do your best to sneak past the enemies (stealth camo doesn't work when you're carrying Code Talker) and loop back around to grab it. Consider calling in sleeping gas or something.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

When people say the MGS3 support team forming the Patriots was like this big shark jumping moment I think to myself, there is a person who did not use the codec very often.

Zero invented the internet with the dream that it would unite humanity but it ended up becoming the means by which humanity was controlled. The way MGSV feels so unlike the rest of the series yet thematically fits with them so well, particularly MGS2, it's kinda uncanny. Like a doppelganger

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

Is Skull Face just his codename, or is that just an insult developed by our heroes? I can't remember if he calls himself Skull Face at any point. I mean the credits call him Skull Face but that's kind of insulting. Everyone who speaks to him only refers to him as "that man with no face" or "the guy with the skull face" or whatever, so I guess he never introduces himself to anyone.

Although I guess he can't just give people his name because parasites.

Skullface has no identity aside from his desire for revenge. The central irony of his character is that he is seeking revenge for the loss of his cultural identity, but the means by which he does this further removes his cultural identity (his experiments with the language parasites leave him unable to speak his native tongue). It's fitting then that the only name he is identified by is the physical manifestation of that loss.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Nakar posted:

If you were on PC, he was cheating. If not, it was lag. Try it with an auto-shotgun, you'll see very clearly that there's no way a person can survive that (assuming you catch a normal person out, they die ridiculously fast). That's why I recommend the Uragan Air for FOB defenses, it's got better range than CQC and is very reliable so you can pop people who try to rush you down for CQC and Fulton THEM out instead. It's noisy, but you're the defender so what do you care?

p.s. Does anyone else think it's kinda stupid that they're introducing a Grade 7 HAIL MGR upgrade that appears to have a drum magazine? I mean you know those 10 rounds just weren't enough to completely ruin FOBs (they even mention it as a selling point in FOB defense, thanks a bunch Konami!). But hey, at least cheaters are immune to them!

I think the idea is that they have all this stupid, unbalanced/unfun crap that gets taken into FOBs so that people are afraid to try and do them personally so they just use real money on MB coins to get insurance.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Colapops posted:

I think the idea is that they have all this stupid, unbalanced/unfun crap that gets taken into FOBs so that people are afraid to try and do them personally so they just use real money on MB coins to get insurance.
To be fair to them, most of the new weapons exist for FOBs, in the sense guards can use most of them. For example, the S-1000 Air is a significant damage upgrade, making it an actually viable knockout weapon. Which is nice if you wanted a silenced air shotgun, but also nice because Short-Range Non-Lethal guards on FOBs sucked major rear end. Likewise the two sniper rifle upgrades are explicitly ones FOB guards can use on Long-Range, and the Grade 7 LMG is likewise FOB-capable for Mid-Range. And NVG on FOB guards is a secret buff against good players, because good players bodyshot exclusively with OHK weapons so helmets might as well not exist, and setting them to NVG means dropping at 1800 is no longer a straight-up advantage.

But then they go and undo it all with the Grade 7 HAIL and its 20 rounds of "fun."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

net cafe scandal posted:

To be honest there are a dozen random "common thoughts" among people who play these games that just don't make any sense to me. This is one of them. Thinking the MGS 3 crew becoming the Patriots? Of course it makes sense. The whole point of the Metal Gear series was having twists and conspiracies you couldn't foresee; of course the cabal of LaLiLuLeLo were formed via connections to Boss/Big Boss. Your team in MGS 1 were top personnel somehow interconnected. Your team in MGS 2 was the patriots and philanthropy. Your team in MGS 3 are the patriots. Duh!

Another one of these random thoughts is that "Act 2 is made up of a bunch of missions that were in Act 1" which, again, makes no sense to me because none of those missions had the yellow "this actually matters" dot next to them when they showed up. I'm not defending TPP's execution of "chapters" here, Chapter 2 was very much an extended Prologue that should have been titled as such and not had a goddamn trailer video. However, thinking that those Subsistence and Extreme missions were somehow "part of Act 2" in a game that doesn't have a difficulty setting? Go back and check where those tags come from. Duh!

I'm just thankful most people think TPP's plot is poo poo with flecks of gold in it. Sure, the parasite/language stuff is fantastic, the mission where you kill your crew is fantastic, the music and cut scenes are fantastic... but it's all surrounded by a dull-paced plot with almost no real "twists" and is completely absent of a satisfying conclusion, moral (obvious moral, I know there's a lot of symbolic morals that you have to read about but since when did I need that for an MGS game?) and any notion of a "bigger picture" that makes it feel like what you did was important.

gently caress I went on a rant. Sorry.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't think Skull Face infected Zero with Alzheimers. When Zero meets Paz he talks about forgetting things a lot and Skull Face only got the pin to Zero after torturing Paz right? I think it just turned him into a vegetable or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Huey should stick to making giant robots.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

I don't think Skull Face infected Zero with Alzheimers. When Zero meets Paz he talks about forgetting things a lot and Skull Face only got the pin to Zero after torturing Paz right? I think it just turned him into a vegetable or something.
Correct. I don't know exactly what disease Zero had when Paz met him but he had already "taken a turn for the worse" in some way that he always had a team watching his health. It's why he was secluded in the first place, because being out in the open was bad for his health as much as it was going to get him shot by someone. I don't think it's ever explained what or why Zero gets sick in the first place. When Skull Face pricks his finger, it was trying to be the death blow.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

DaveKap posted:

(obvious moral, I know there's a lot of symbolic morals that you have to read about but since when did I need that for an MGS game?)

all the metal gear games benefit from reading, both the text itself and works around it. MGS2 works better if you have frameworks of understanding things such as algorithmic culture, postmodernism and the production and operation of mythology, for instance. If metal gear isn't interesting to you, then you aren't putting in enough effort to read it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like where they seemed to be going with Chapter 2 but it didn't work. I sort of thought the idea behind it was that after you've completed your ultimate mission, you still have to go back to work the next day, and run your merc company without being focused on killing Skull Face. In fact, I actually kind of got the impression that that's why the "real" Chapter 2 missions are so bog-standard. There aren't even enough of those, though, so it just feels half-assed instead.

Really, it should have ended with Diamond Dogs falling apart, and maybe Venom loving off to presumably start again in Outer Heaven, but then you couldn't play indefinitely I guess.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah Bro posted:

all the metal gear games benefit from reading, both the text itself and works around it. MGS2 works better if you have frameworks of understanding things such as algorithmic culture, postmodernism and the production and operation of mythology, for instance. If metal gear isn't interesting to you, then you aren't putting in enough effort to read it.
Playing MGS 2 twice actually solved all that for me, though. I love these games but none of them ever really needed "extra reading" outside of what the game presented. I'm even OK with TPP's tape system but there's still way more in TPP that's "probably symbolic" than any previous game was.

Hell, this is a fantastic read (someone here wrote it and posted it) that goes in-depth about some stuff that's still only "probably symbolic" about Quiet, all of which is pulpy and awesome, almost none of which is actually explained in the game. http://chaosargatelps.tumblr.com/post/130238555166/a-quiet-analysis-mgsv-spoilers-ahead

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Playing MGS 2 twice actually solved all that for me, though. I love these games but none of them ever really needed "extra reading" outside of what the game presented. I'm even OK with TPP's tape system but there's still way more in TPP that's "probably symbolic" than any previous game was.

Hell, this is a fantastic read (someone here wrote it and posted it) that goes in-depth about some stuff that's still only "probably symbolic" about Quiet, all of which is pulpy and awesome, almost none of which is actually explained in the game. http://chaosargatelps.tumblr.com/post/130238555166/a-quiet-analysis-mgsv-spoilers-ahead

I wasn't saying they were impossible to read without outside reading, just that they benefit from it. This one probably only feels more symbolic because the narrative is (relatively) sparse. A macro understanding of the (final) moral of the game does require inter-textual knowledge of the rest of the series, but aside from that you're left with fairly slim pickings on the rest of the overt narrative, leading to focus needing to be more on the symbolism of certain motifs in the game.

(I hope I didn't come across rude, I find it hard to express emotion in text)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah Bro posted:

Skullface has no identity aside from his desire for revenge. The central irony of his character is that he is seeking revenge for the loss of his cultural identity, but the means by which he does this further removes his cultural identity (his experiments with the language parasites leave him unable to speak his native tongue). It's fitting then that the only name he is identified by is the physical manifestation of that loss.

They should've stuck with MGS tradition and done Adjective Animal, but actually called him Adjective Animal to show how he lost his identity

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Same exact thing happened to me.

I also didn't really realize that Huey was so despicable until I heard other people talk about it – I just kinda assumed that he was a weak nebbish dude that was always getting bossed around. I didn't like him that much, but I didn't realize he was actually an awful person until way after he got kicked off. I listened to the tapes, so I don't really know what my problem was.

And, as soon as I heard that Eli didn't match Boss's DNA, I immediately assumed that meant he wasn't Liquid rather than thinking something was up with Boss.

Basically, I'm a giant loving idiot when it comes to this game.

They actually hint at the Venom is not Boss thing so much. I got spoiled on it before the game was out so I was actively looking for it and they're dropping hints all over.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Code Walker Extreme Tips

Also if you want to extract the skulls, stealth camo up to them and put a decoy under them, it does a huge chunk of stamina damage to them and they just don't know what to think about it and go and sit right back in the same place ready for another one.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UgajYZ5A-0

If you go back and watch this cutscene almost everything Skullface says is related to him knowing the twist.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Oh man. I've never actually played MGS1 or really looked into it other than by secondhand; I was too young when it first came out, and then I got into the series with Revengeance. I sorta worked backwards but never actually touched MGS1 until now.

It's super, super weird seeing the "original" Psycho Mantis and how much of a pushover he is, not to mention the fact that he talks. The novelty of his fight is... well, novel, but he actually barely seems threatening, especially compared to what he's like as a child. I'd like to see how Psycho Mantis would be presented if the series had actually progressed in chronological order. What would adult Mantis be like if Kojima had come up with him in 2015 instead?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah that skull face video is a good example of how much they hint at it.

Although we know from the beginning that Big Boss never had a hand missing or a horn so you know something's up early on. Then they force you to design a guy, tell you this is your "new face" and show you BB, MANY people in the game when they first see you have to question whether you're really BB. Even the AI in huey's lab straight up says you're not him.

Then Ocelot tells you you "Forgot Russian" when you first try to interrogate a Russian (like, lol what), Miller and Ocelot both try to tell you what you SHOULD feel or think and that this is how you would have felt if you just remembered.

Colapops posted:

Oh man. I've never actually played MGS1 or really looked into it other than by secondhand; I was too young when it first came out, and then I got into the series with Revengeance. I sorta worked backwards but never actually touched MGS1 until now.

It's super, super weird seeing the "original" Psycho Mantis and how much of a pushover he is, not to mention the fact that he talks. The novelty of his fight is... well, novel, but he actually barely seems threatening, especially compared to what he's like as a child. I'd like to see how Psycho Mantis would be presented if the series had actually progressed in chronological order. What would adult Mantis be like if Kojima had come up with him in 2015 instead?
IMO the original Psycho Mantis is by far "stronger" because of how much it breaks the 4th wall. Like sure he doesn't summon flaming whales but he also tells you what videogames you, the player have played irl. He turns off your TV and reads your mind unless you switch controller ports. He messes up your first person view button (the FPS view switches to him instead, because he's inside your mind). He moves your controller! Magic

(Also if you try to beat him on port 1 he's actually quite hard I thought)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah Bro posted:

(I hope I didn't come across rude, I find it hard to express emotion in text)
Nah bro, we good.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Then Ocelot tells you you "Forgot Russian" when you first try to interrogate a Russian (like, lol what)

To be fair, they explain this as a consequence of the giant chunk of Paz sticking out of your head impacting the language center of your brain. It makes more sense once the twist hits, of course.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

If Venom does enough evil stuff, does the chunk of metal fall out of his skull, presumably killing him via hemorrhage?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Enallyniv posted:

To be fair, they explain this as a consequence of the giant chunk of Paz sticking out of your head impacting the language center of your brain. It makes more sense once the twist hits, of course.
Two problems with this that more or less make the game feel inconsistent on this point.
1: They can teach/brainwash a man over 9 years to literally think, act, and be Big Boss down to even having his memories but... learning another language? NAAAAH.
2: He actually speaks a few lines of various languages that aren't English. Wish I could remember when and where but I remember hearing a line or two and thinking "uhhh I thought he couldn't do that anymore?"

Hey random thought. Does Solid Snake ever actually meet the Big Boss who is commanding him in Metal Gear 1 before the mission starts? If so, boy, how did he not notice the metal hand and forehead Paz-chunk on the guy he ended up killing?

Hey, another random thought. If that is a chunk of Paz in his forehead, does that mean he always has... peace... in mind?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Colapops posted:

If Venom does enough evil stuff, does the chunk of metal fall out of his skull, presumably killing him via hemorrhage?

The same way Venom occasionally sees himself as covered in blood and with a massive horn, it's implied that the horn stays the same length, but his self-loathing makes it appear bigger to him. So the more people you kill, the more Venom despises himself and sees himself as a demon.

This theory breaks apart if enemies can follow you by the blood dripping from you when you're in full on demon mode, but still, I like to think it's all in his mind.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Enallyniv posted:

Yeah, it also ~sorta~ makes you think well, that's why the new Snake doesn't talk much.

Also I kind of wish that Kiefer never voiced BB in Ground Zeroes and that the voice actor changing was part of the twist as well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If Hayter voiced Big Boss in any part of MGS5 that would have given the game away immediately. Granted it's not terribly subtle as it but it's more of a slow realisation and sense of unease rather than 'well, duh'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hayter should never have voiced Big Boss at all.

Even though he's pretty good in 3.

No pun intended.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I thought the horn was bone

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

sinking belle posted:

I thought the horn was bone

It appears directly after Paz blows up in front of him so it's either bone or shrapnel from the bomb. I would assume it's bone, but I don't know either way if the bone would turn black from prolonged exposure to air.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If Hayter voiced Big Boss in any part of MGS5 that would have given the game away immediately. Granted it's not terribly subtle as it but it's more of a slow realisation and sense of unease rather than 'well, duh'

Yeah, and they'd have to do more shenanigans with the facial mocap. Kiefer's likeness with Hayter's voice coming out of it would be strange, and they obviously didn't just want to run with Hayter-face since they went and got a big name actor in the first place.

Whatever. Hayter is Solid Snake. He got to see that thread through to its end and did a great job with what he was given. No one yells Liquid quite like him.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DaveKap posted:

2: He actually speaks a few lines of various languages that aren't English. Wish I could remember when and where but I remember hearing a line or two and thinking "uhhh I thought he couldn't do that anymore?"

He can suddenly speak fluent Kikongo when addressing Eli in White Mamba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

What I liked about Sutherland was how he sounds like he's trying to settle into the role much like Venom needed time to become Big Boss. Metacommentary and yadda yadda

• Locked thread