Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Volkerball posted:

Counterpoint:

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=eaf52b6b-eb31-0758-5580-6b9b6cd691ee

And he supports Petraeus' strategy in Syria that would, you know, work. Confirmed for owns.

I'm a fan of his recent treason as he signed onto the letter trying to sabotage the negotiations with Iran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Volkerball posted:

Counterpoint:

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=eaf52b6b-eb31-0758-5580-6b9b6cd691ee

And he supports Petraeus' strategy in Syria that would, you know, work. Confirmed for owns.

Exactly why do you think arming Al-Qaeda as David Petraeus suggests would advance our national interests

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

point of return posted:

I seriously hope he ends up causing a brokered convention. It would be the best thing ever.
What's that mean? It sounds hilarious.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Fried Chicken posted:

Exactly why do you think arming Al-Qaeda as David Petraeus suggests would advance our national interests

it worked out p well the first time

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

It's not arming al-Qaeda, that's just daily kos bullshit. It's stealing al-Qaeda's fighters like we did with the Sahwat, which obviously is not a gentlemanly way to treat them. Call it what you want, but the only way to encourage people away from extremist groups is to provide something better. The only thing different between now and Iraq circa 2007 is that Assad has to go before there can be any attempts to poach extremist fighters, whereas there was no major obstacle like that when the surge began. But with some modifications, it's a hell of a lot better strategy than sitting around watching the Middle East fall apart while ISIS climbs on top of the rubble.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's that mean? It sounds hilarious.

No candidate has a majority of committed delegates at the convention, and it moves to 2nd round + voting where the delegates get to pick a nominee

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jagchosis posted:

No candidate has a majority of committed delegates at the convention, and it moves to 2nd round + voting where the delegates get to pick a nominee
That's somewhat more boring than the image I had in my head.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well it'd be funny because the GOP delegates would pick really badly. See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._W._Jackson#2013_Lieutenant_Governor_candidacy

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

It means the clown car triumvirate of Carson, Trump, and FIorina get to extract concessions from the nominee in exchange for delegates. What those concessions are I'm not sure, but there's still hope for excitement

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It also means the party has no time to coalesce behind a single candidate like has been the case for every cycle since, oh, 1980? Not only does it mean your candidate won't have the best possible support from the party, your image suffers a blow with the less hardcore voters.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh wow DAVID PETRAEUS has a plan for Syria?? Let me pull up a loving chair for this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

David Petraeus should be put up against a wall and shot, hope this helps wonks.

Perhaps he can buy the new hospital in exchange for remaining among us?

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 6, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'd like to have a dollar for every war crime we've committed. I'd be very rich.

Depends how you price it. If you treat Hiroshima as one war crime you're going to get quite a lot of bang for your buck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Oh wow DAVID PETRAEUS has a plan for Syria?? Let me pull up a loving chair for this.

His plan is a secret, so be sure to take good notes and bring rubbers.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Yeah a good one that Hillary will prob end up poaching.

FAUXTON posted:

His plan is a secret, so be sure to take good notes and bring rubbers.

It's not secret.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?328261-1/former-cia-director-david-petraeus-testimony-us-middle-east-policy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

You assemble a team with a salary cap and the players cost certain amounts based on past performances. It sounds like the people inside were either getting the salary numbers early or flat-out manipulating them so they can assemble their dream teams.

Both sites use the same exact data so betting on the "competitor" site is just as lucrative as betting on the site you work for. It'd be wonderful if this poo poo actually got the dumb fantasy sports gambling loophole closed but it won't.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Well it kinda worked the last time Petraeus did it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volkerball posted:

It's not secret.

Nothing's a secret with Petraeus :thejoke:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Nothing's a secret with Petraeus :thejoke:

He's very sorry.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm already seeing reports that many provisions of the TPP have changed from the draft versions; for example:

It doesn't seem impossible to me that those changes came about as a result of public pressure giving our negotiators more leverage; "Look, our people will never accept this, see? You've got to give me more..."

Wasn't pelosi pushing for better environmental stuff in the TPP? I think I remember Clinton saying she stood by pelosi on it right after pelosi issued statements about it not being good enough for environmental stuff.

Yeah - here it is:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/06/12/3669269/pelosi-bashes-fast-track/

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Phone posted:

In a classic move out of the Ron Paul playbook, Carly Fiorina has decided to show how fiscally conservative she is by not paying staffers from her failed 2010 campaign. :911:

That's nothing. Wake me when one of her senior staff dies of a treatable illness because she canceled his health insurance.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Harik posted:

That's nothing. Wake me when one of her senior staff dies of a treatable illness because she canceled his health insurance.

She refused to give a dead guy's widow his $30k last paycheck for years, is that enough?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Peztopiary posted:

Depends how you price it. If you treat Hiroshima as one war crime you're going to get quite a lot of bang for your buck.

:golfclap:

I'd be perfectly ok with Trump pulling a Perot, down to the increasingly crazy conspiracy theories.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Fiorina: "I'm distinctly horrifying to liberals."

quote:

Carly Fiorina says that she thinks she is "distinctly horrifying to liberals" because of the prospect that she could beat Hillary Clinton in a general election, hours after a poll was released showing her besting the Democratic front-runner in a hypothetical general election matchup in Iowa.

During an interview with Fox News' Megyn Kelly on her Monday night show, Fiorina responded after Kelly read part of a New York Times story from last week in which one woman remarked of the former Hewlett-Packard executive that, "It’s so weird — she looks like one of us, but she’s not."

"Look, we know that most of the media is very liberal. We know that liberal women have trouble accepting that there are many, many women who don't agree with them," Fiorina declared. "And in fact, it's liberal women, unfortunately, who believe that unless you follow their orthodoxy -- [MSNBC's] Rachel Maddow is one, but Hillary Clinton is one, as well."

She then removed her face, revealing swirling darkness beneath.

"Behold thy visage and despair, for with me comes layoffs and madness." She told reporters, gesturing toward her CARLY SuperPAC, which had taken human form and was devouring campaign funds. "I bring with me a new age of fiscal conservatism, one not tempered by human compassion or empathy."

At press time, Fiorina had reportedly unleashed a swarm of unpaid staffers onto the reporters.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ernie Muppari posted:

i like that he likes torturing people

To be fair he really wanted the 2008 election.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

the_paradigm_shift posted:

She refused to give a dead guy's widow his $30k last paycheck for years, is that enough?

I guess differently lovely? "I refused to pay his medical bills just to watch him die."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

it's cool how the neocons poisoned the well of American international relations for literally a generation or more

I know how we can purify it.

And it doesn't involve bribing one side of a sectarian war to work for us.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Volkerball posted:

It's not arming al-Qaeda, that's just daily kos bullshit. It's stealing al-Qaeda's fighters like we did with the Sahwat, which obviously is not a gentlemanly way to treat them.
it is taking people ideologically committed to the goals and methods of AQ and giving them weapons, then hoping they turn them on those impeding our interests instead of on us. Yeah, that is arming AQ

quote:

Call it what you want, but the only way to encourage people away from extremist groups is to provide something better.
Very true. But I fail to see how this is doing that. Are you assuming that they are all uniquely stupid so as they can't see we are hoping they die as cannon fodder? Is the idea that the people who signed up because they object to the US fighting little wars to build our vision of how the middle East should look will now chip in to build our vision of how the middle East should look just because?

quote:

The only thing different between now and Iraq circa 2007 is that Assad has to go before there can be any attempts to poach extremist fighters, whereas there was no major obstacle like that when the surge began.
the failure of this strategy to produce results advancing our interests is why we are fighting ISIS now.

And no, that isn't the only thing different. The core motivation if the group we are trying to buy off is different. The fighters we paid to stop fighting in the surge had started fighting largely for lack of other alternatives - de-baathification and disbanding of the army left a lot of folks with no usable skills in a devastated economy and mouthes to feed, so they took up arms for cash. AQ has an ideological commitment to not doing the very thing Petraeus is proposing we have them do.

quote:

But with some modifications, it's a hell of a lot better strategy than sitting around watching the Middle East fall apart while ISIS climbs on top of the rubble.
you say that, but that's they key question I asked, how does this advance our interests, and you didn't provide an argument for it. How does having AQ be on too of the rubble instead of ISIS advance our interests? And given how much has changed since 2001 how has "what are our interests" shifted there?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Harik posted:

I guess differently lovely? "I refused to pay his medical bills just to watch him die."

Letting your staffers die uninsured is more of Ron Paul thing, so I guess if she wants to court the libertarian vote...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8AAUOGKSg

It'd be nice if McCarthy's GAFFE actually killed this Benghazi poo poo but I have a feeling they could rename the committee "The Congressional Committee to Smear Hillary Clinton in the Runup to the 2016 Presidential Campaign" and it would poll about the same.

Dem members of the committee are going to start releasing transcripts of closed door meetings in order to "set the record straight".

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 6, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

Also, Chaffetz is being mum with his supporters but claims that at least 50 Republicans will not support McCarthy for Speaker. Normally, I would dismiss this as posturing, but Chaffetz is acting really confident for a man that everyone considers to be doomed.

I would be careful about reading to much into this. Mitt Romney wasn't the only politician ever to put too much stock in momentum and too little stock in counting the votes. He could be counting on the fame from the Planned Parenthood hearing combined with McCarthy's gaffe to make his Speakership a shoe-in or something.

Alternatively Chaffetz could just have a really dumb plan that he's convinced is going to work, like striking a deal with Pelosi (not gonna happen) or picking up votes with the crucial Cruz and Trump endorsements he's banking on.

Confidence just means he thinks it's going to work, not that it's going to work.

greatn posted:

Trump saves the day again

This might backfire - Trump opposing TPP encourages liberals to buy into the "it's not as bad as originally thought" meme going around on the basis of not wanting to take sides with Trump against Obama. The more it becomes Trump vs Obama on Trade, the more that's going to help Obama line up Dems behind him.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The delegates are only committed to vote for their guy for the first round of ballots. So in round 2, people who were signed up as Jeb Bush delegates can decide to back the Trumpster without penalty. This could in theory lead to insanity of the "BAWH GAWD THAT'S HERMAN CAIN'S MUSIC" variety. Most likely not though.

Antti posted:

It also means the party has no time to coalesce behind a single candidate like has been the case for every cycle since, oh, 1980? Not only does it mean your candidate won't have the best possible support from the party, your image suffers a blow with the less hardcore voters.

See the thing with this though is that there's over a month between the last primaries and the Convention, meaning plenty of time for strategizing and for dark horse candidates to try to influence delegates. It's not like they'll show up Day 1 of the Convention and only then realize their leading candidate is however many votes short.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Haha, shots fired by Huntsman at Chaffetz: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jon-huntsman-jason-chaffetz

"#selfpromoter #powerhungry"

:allears:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BP settled for $20 Billion in fines over Deepwater Horizon:

quote:

The deal, announced by the U.S. Department of Justice on Monday, is the largest settlement with a single entity in the department's history. It is a "fitting response to the worst environmental disaster in American history," Attorney General Loretta Lynch said. BP (BP) was receiving the "punishment it deserves," she added.

The disaster was triggered by an explosion on the BP-contracted Transocean Ltd. Deepwater Horizon rig, which killed eleven of 126 workers on board and spilled approximately 210 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. A BP spokesman said the settlement would resolve the "largest litigation liabilities remaining from the tragic accident." Some smaller claims remain outstanding but will not be material, he added.

The figure reflects a preliminary agreement which was reached in July but includes some payments that BP has already made. The settlement will be used to repair damage to the area's economies and ecosystems. It was a "historic milestone" which will ensure the Gulf Coast comes back "stronger and more vibrant than before the disaster," Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker said.

The settlement totals $20.8 billion, with $5.5 billion tagged for federal Clean Water Act penalties, $8.1 billion for natural resource damage and up to $700 million to address any concerns that are yet to be discovered. Another $600 million is for other claims. BP will also pay $4.9 billion to Gulf states and up to $1 billion to several hundred local governmental bodies, according to the department. The states involved in the settlement are Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. The settlement follows 11 felony manslaughter charges which BP pleaded guilty to in 2012.

(http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/06/news/companies/deepwater-horizon-bp-settlement/)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does 20 billion make a blip on the damages done?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BP has annual revenue approaching $200BN.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

Does 20 billion make a blip on the damages done?

From another article:

quote:

Out of the money owed, BP will pay $5.5 billion to cover penalties incurred under the Clean Water Act, the US law that regulates water pollution. The five states affected by the spill — Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas — will also receive large sums to cover damages, as will 400 local government entities. Apart from this settlement, BP has spent a reported $28 billion on cleanup and compensation.

BP itself estimated that they needed to dish out around $55 billion all told later in the CNN article.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That money paid out to the states will probably just get dumped into subsidizing the oil industry, similarly to what happened with the tobacco settlement money in North Carolina.

I think the best we can hope for is that it goes into subsidies for to help the poor oil companies meet those awful crushing safety and environmental protection rules.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

zoux posted:

Annual Revenue isn't really the right thing to compare this to - annual profit is. A company with $200BN in revenue and $100BN in expenses is much less impacted by a $20BN fine than one with $200BN revenue and $180BN in expenses.

BP's annual profit is considerably smaller - there are too many "profit" numbers for me to figure out which is the best analogue, but it's at most 10% of that, meaning this fine represents a year or more of their profits, assuming my google-skimming is on-point. Most of the other costs that Party Plane Jones mentioned are presumably already factored into the existing profit numbers online.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

BP itself estimated that they needed to dish out around $55 billion all told later in the CNN article.

Maybe between this and the peanut butter guy doing time people will think twice about cutting safety for profhahahahahaha sorry I almost got to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

zoux posted:

Going from Wikipedia it's actually 358 billion in revenue, but 4 billion in profit, so this is still 5 years worth of profits.

• Locked thread