Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

I take off my wheels and chain the car into the ground with concrete studs, only way to be sure.

Even then I remove all of the plastic trims, mirrors and stuff because they tend to fall off easily in accidents, and I roll down the windows and tape the screen cause I don't want any shrapnel flying about when someone hits it.

The owners manual for my Mazda specifically recommends removing the radio antenna any time the car is left unattended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
At the risk of dating myself:

When I was growing up, cars had poo poo factory stereos and door locks that could be opened with a stern word.

So all the aftermarket stereos came with little handles to allow you to easily remove them

Note, this isn't the faceplate coming off, it is the entire fcking head unit that you have now made easier to steal and you are advertising the fact.

the idea was that you would spend your day shopping/on a date/at a night club with a car stereo in your hand.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

Parking Paul is his slave name.

This man knows whats up, every time I stop somewhere I chain my car to a 400lb concrete anchor block.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 6, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And then you face off against Dilldozer and Assblaster?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

spog posted:

When I was growing up, cars had poo poo factory stereos and door locks that could be opened with a stern word.

So all the aftermarket stereos came with little handles to allow you to easily remove them

Note, this isn't the faceplate coming off, it is the entire fcking head unit that you have now made easier to steal and you are advertising the fact.

the idea was that you would spend your day shopping/on a date/at a night club with a car stereo in your hand.

I used to keep mine in my desk drawer or would check it with my coat.

Personally, I liked the 'stealth' faceplates that would turn around and show mirror-finish plastic where the deck should be. You can probably guess how effective that was as far as junkie camouflage went.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

IPCRESS posted:

I used to keep mine in my desk drawer or would check it with my coat.

Personally, I liked the 'stealth' faceplates that would turn around and show mirror-finish plastic where the deck should be. You can probably guess how effective that was as far as junkie camouflage went.

I remember those. I think they were called El Kameleon or something like that. JVC, if I recall.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

Yeah, my older brother had an alpine cassette deck like that.

Holy poo poo I'm loving this SAneedful chrome extention. Just did that reply as a quick reply without having to load another page. It also loads embedded gifvs. Also can organize sub forums to your most favourite up top, hides poo poo forums and lots of cool stuff.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sa-needful/bipfbhacdgoojjfblifgjadhabepbekm

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 6, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think the idea was that you would put it in the trunk :confused:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Data Graham posted:

I think the idea was that you would put it in the trunk :confused:

But then how would everyone know you had a sweet tape deck?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Godholio posted:

But then how would everyone know you had a sweet tape deck?

They'd infer from the empty dash slot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Godholio posted:

I haven't seen one that's failed, but I've seen a couple that show clear rounding off.

Edit: For me, at the end of the day it's about a 2-second habit that cuts off any chance - no matter how remote - that someday I could have problems. By the time I die I'll have wasted more of my life trying to figure out if I'm really about to sneeze or not than I will have by setting/releasing the parking brake.

Enourmo posted:

hmm how would a rectangular peg that fits into a rectangular slot being rounded and worn be an indication of impending failure

i guess well never knwo
You guys are being intentionally obtuse or don't understand this. Rounding off is caused by assholes slamming into park while still moving, not by the car leaning on it in park.

EKDS5k posted:

The pedestrian who just happens to be in the line of fire probably cares, but gently caress him, I won't be liable. And gently caress that other guy who relies on his car to get to work, but now can't because it's totalled because my car rolled into it. kastein usually I respect your advice and knowledge about things but this is just stupid. Metal wears out and fails, parts can have casting defects and fail, and sometimes things just plain don't work like they're supposed to. I'll grant you that the risk is small, but the consequences of a roll away car could be huge. It literally only adds two seconds to the start and end of every drive to essentially eliminate that risk entirely.

Show me a cast metal parking pawl, I dare you. I've never seen one. Every one I have seen is machined or punched from thick stock. And if it's properly designed, metal doesn't just "wear out", proper design keeps the applied stress below the level that causes plastic deformation, which means it bounces back to right where it was.

And time for the voice of actual experience:

Dannywilson posted:

24ish cars in the last 19 years, and the worst I've had is a 200k van from 45 years ago whose parking pawl->tire movement is about 3 inches which translates to an entire THREE generations of contractors slamming it into park while-not-letting-it-stop-properly. On a 45 year-old transmission.

14 INCH DICK posted:

Working In a shop environment for almost 10 years now seeing all makes and all models in all stages of repair I have never once personally heard of or seen a failed parking pawl.

I have also never seen one. Ever.

wolrah posted:

Seriously, what's the argument against using it other than "I am the laziest person on the planet"? Even if you believe there's almost no risk of a failure that would require it, it takes a quarter of a second to engage/disengage so why not?
I completely agree that the better thing is to use it, simply because it's easy insurance against something bad happening, and also (in the rust belt) keeps your parking brake functional and moving so it doesn't simply turn into a wad of congealed rust after not being touched for ten years.

But... parking against the parking pawl is not going to loving break it. or damage it in any way. period. sorry. (unless it's some awful shitpile crapcan designed by literal idiots, in which case all bets are off. I'm looking at you, Land Rover and Hyundai)

e: for some actual content, here's a 4R100 parking pawl from a Ford:

I can't tell if that's a cast or forged pawl from the picture, it could be either. Also can't tell if it's cast iron or cast steel without a spark test.

And here's one that actually broke, with a new one held up against it:

The guy who found this in his transmission is pretty sure it was towed in park, which I can definitely see breaking a parking pawl. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/612567-transmission-drama.html

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I've seen exactly one. It was an overloaded early 2000s Ford conversion van parked on a hell of a hill.

Edit to your edit: it was exactly that transmission. And there was an "unofficial" recall on them.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 6, 2015

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The only time I move the park brake on automatic cars is to clean crumbs out from underneath. It is very flat around here though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

point taken but i still wouldnt trust it on a used vehicle where i don't know the PO's driving style

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

You guys are being intentionally obtuse or don't understand this. Rounding off is caused by assholes slamming into park while still moving, not by the car leaning on it in park.

Show me a cast metal parking pawl, I dare you. I've never seen one. Every one I have seen is machined or punched from thick stock. And if it's properly designed, metal doesn't just "wear out", proper design keeps the applied stress below the level that causes plastic deformation, which means it bounces back to right where it was.

And time for the voice of actual experience:

I completely agree that the better thing is to use it, simply because it's easy insurance against something bad happening, and also (in the rust belt) keeps your parking brake functional and moving so it doesn't simply turn into a wad of congealed rust after not being touched for ten years.

But... parking against the parking pawl is not going to loving break it. or damage it in any way. period. sorry. (unless it's some awful shitpile crapcan designed by literal idiots, in which case all bets are off. I'm looking at you, Land Rover and Hyundai)

I can't tell if that's a cast or forged pawl from the picture, it could be either. Also can't tell if it's cast iron or cast steel without a spark test.

And here's one that actually broke, with a new one held up against it:

The guy who found this in his transmission is pretty sure it was towed in park, which I can definitely see breaking a parking pawl. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/612567-transmission-drama.html

Ford had a massive 'unofficial' recall for the parking pawl.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kastein posted:

<snip>
Have you read chrysler.txt recently?

quote:

I fully agree with this statement, however I know people who think slamming the transmission in park at 5mph is just fine, I don't trust their parking pawl. I also drive a car that spent it's first 10K miles as a rental, although it is mechanically sound in every other way that I know of, the parking pawl feels extremely loose and makes me nervous.

quote:

You dared someone to show you a cast iron parking pawl, and from the way this sounds. . .

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

`Nemesis posted:

Parking pawl failure seems to be a common neurosis around here

Parking Pawl. Parking Pawl! PARKING PAWL! PARKING PAWL!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

(unless it's some awful shitpile crapcan designed by literal idiots, in which case all bets are off. I'm looking at you, Land Rover and Hyundai)

I've never seen one either.

I'll add that Hyundai mostly use mitsi transmissions and don't really have many problems in that area (unless you're talking pre 04 in which case who knows).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
You're all doing it wrong by driving autos. Getting used to the electric handbrake in my new car is weird.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Motronic posted:

I've seen exactly one. It was an overloaded early 2000s Ford conversion van parked on a hell of a hill.

Edit to your edit: it was exactly that transmission. And there was an "unofficial" recall on them.

I wonder what transmission it had. As I said, my fiancee's 98 explorer parking pawl has failed long ago, but she spent the first four years with it (which it started by already having 130k New York miles on it) in rural, hilly Idaho by never using the parking brake. She literally didn't know what that pedal did.

She's also the type of person that throws it into drive while it's still moving backwards, so...

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
God stop it already. 90% of cars in the US are automatics and 90% of the people driving them are idiots that never use the brake. It's fine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

God stop it already. 90% of cars in the US are automatics and 90% of the people driving them are idiots that never use the brake. It's fine.

1000 Internet points to you

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

veedubfreak posted:

Getting used to the electric handbrake in my new car is weird.

What's the failure mode for one of those?

i.e. if you have a flat battery, are you unable to tow the car because the brakes are locked on?

Or if the battery dies, you can't apply the handbrakes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8YcW8-zX4

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

spog posted:

i.e. if you have a flat battery, are you unable to tow the car because the brakes are locked on?

My Subaru Outback had one of these. If you have a flat battery and need to tow, there is a mechanical release you actuate with the spare tire tools. If the battery dies, park it in gear.

I love the noticeable deformation in the exhaust pipe just before poo poo hits the fan.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

spog posted:

Electronic parking brakes need power to release, if the battery dies when parked, you either hook up a booster pack (you are trying to jump start the car first, right?) or use a manual release. If the battery dies, you cant apply the parking brake, but theoretically you should be applying the parking brake before you shut off the motor so it's kinda a non-issue in my opinion.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I've been arm deep in more trannies than I ever care to remember, but yeah pretty much this.

I've never seen a cast park pawl either. Even on the big trannies its a piece of stamped/cut metal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

I've seen one heavily damaged but caught before failure thanks to an unrelated transmission issue and it was also in an Econoline, though in this case a '96 chassis cab E-350 with 10,000 lbs of RV on it. More than a few times my dad parked that thing on a hill resting on nothing but the transmission, sometimes requiring some serious effort to get it out of park afterwards.

cursedshitbox posted:

I've been arm deep in more trannies than I ever care to remember
hehe

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This is more of a crooked rear end in a top hat failure, but here goes. My wife comes home from an oil change at the local Tire Kingdom with a $800 quote for all kinds of Brake work. (pads, rotors, real cylinder)She has a decent bullshit detector and just brought it home to show me. Funny thing is, the car ( 03 civic EX manual 1.8) was at the honda dealership the previous day for the Airbag recall and was given a clean bill of health.

The TK advisors claimed that " left front brakes inoperable right front doing all the braking" and "the cylinder in left rear is leaking" which I immediately knew to be bullshit because if it were true the car would lurch to the right faster than the entire GOP presidential field at a mere touch of the brake pedal.

I popped the wheels off last night and found:

Both rear drums are in fine shape and dry as a bone inside
60% or so life left on front pads and very even wear.
Drums and Rotors well within spec

She let the honda people look at it again today and they also found no problems.

It's a shame those TK fuckers were trying to pull a fast one on a lone woman. I was 24 hours away from giving them a pretty good chunk of money to put new tires on my WRX, now I'm considering some sort of BBB action over it because it's a clear case of intentionally recommending unnecessary work.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 6, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The BBB is a self-perpetuating scam. Post on Yelp and tell your neighbors to avoid them; that's the best you can do.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

The BBB is a self-perpetuating scam. Post on Yelp and tell your neighbors to avoid them; that's the best you can do.

Also Yelp is a paid scam so post a Google Maps review and tell your neighbors to avoid them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Farking Bastage posted:

This is more of a crooked rear end in a top hat failure, but here goes. My wife comes home from an oil change at the local Tire Kingdom with a $800 quote for all kinds of Brake work. (pads, rotors, real cylinder)She has a decent bullshit detector and just brought it home to show me. Funny thing is, the car ( 03 civic EX manual 1.8) was at the honda dealership the previous day for the Airbag recall and was given a clean bill of health.

The TK advisors claimed that " left front brakes inoperable right front doing all the braking" and "the cylinder in left rear is leaking" which I immediately knew to be bullshit because if it were true the car would lurch to the right faster than the entire GOP presidential field at a mere touch of the brake pedal.

She let the honda people look at it again today and they also found no problems.

It's a shame those TK fuckers were trying to pull a fast one on a lone woman. I was 24 hours away from giving them a pretty good chunk of money to put new tires on my WRX, now I'm considering some sort of BBB action over it because it's a clear case of intentionally recommending unnecessary work.

Where you went wrong was taking it to a monkey shop for an oil change. That's how they stay in business, by upselling to people that don't know any better.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Where you went wrong was taking it to a monkey shop for an oil change. That's how they stay in business, by upselling to people that don't know any better.

It's my own fault for not having time to do it this weekend :(

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
It's me, I'm the guy who's been grinding down all the parking pawls. :jihad:

What kind of sick, diseased mind would do such a thing? Am I from Al-Quaeda? ISIS? Am I in fact a Republican presidential candidate? No, it's worse: I'm the guy who designed all those Ducati kickstands.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geirskogul posted:

Also Yelp is a paid scam so post a Google Maps review and tell your neighbors to avoid them.

Google just wants to use your data to sell to marketers. Post on Bing Maps and then no one will go to them.

As if anyone will see a post on Bing Maps!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Plinkey posted:

This same car had the parking brake fail and no one every told me to put a manual in gear when you park on a hill. I took out a friend's christmas tree that they had been growing in the back yard for the last 4-5 years, but it stopped the car. It was the one tree between the hill/driveway and a creek. I bought them a new tree a few days later.

SAABs :smith:

Don't you have to leave Saabs in gear (reverse) before you can take the key out (as a security feature)?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I grind down my e-brake by not pushing the button when pulling the lever up.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Alighieri posted:

I grind down my e-brake by not pushing the button when pulling the lever up.

I used to have a lincoln LS with a powered E-brake. it had a penchant for randomly engaging itself.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I take my car to a locally owned independent shop, theory is if they say "brakes are hosed" I can say "you did them last!" I took my car to Midas one time a few months ago just to see if the rumors were true, after an oil change I came out with an apology for taking an hour, a discount coupon, an incorrect air filter installed, a diagnosis of "a funny wear pattern" consisting of good tires on the opposite corners and poo poo tires on the remaining corners, and a quote for shocks. At the next oil change my independent shop just laughed at the story and gave a clean bill of health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

veedubfreak posted:

If you ever call them on it, it's always "we confused it with another car we had in service"

No winning with crooks.