Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Jesse is obnoxious and tries too hard (like he always does on whatever he's attached to), Rhea is not fun and wasn't a good fit for the format, and Dave Holmes was actually pretty good but he lacks the natural wit of the McElroys.

Eh, I'm glad it's only one episode .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JJBro was pretty good. I'm not going to bother listening to 3 Randos Pretend To Be The Guys I Like

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Kenny Logins posted:

Ding ding ding. That's the lightning in a bottle. Although people who have worked closely together for 5-10 years can come close.

That's also why SPY is as good as it is these days. They've been working together, and been friends, for years now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like Rhea and Jesse a lot but yea, they did not fit the style at all. Dave was solid but, yea, when you're used to three brothers who are aces one dude being good isn't enough.

Also holy crap the JJGo is fantastic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mr Tastee posted:

IIRC the average episode of Oh No Ross and Carrie takes months of research to be done. (Hence why they update less frequently.)

If they had this week's hosts switch with Oh No Ross and Carrie next year and then ship them off to some murder-suicide cult I would actually start donating money to Maximum Fun.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

The goal isn't to match the exact standards of the regular hosts. The brothers do it the best but someone else could still do it well.

This is kind of what I was getting at. Like, I'm posting this on an online forum dedicated to talking about MBMBaM so obviously I'm into the show as it is. And I was specifically thinking about shows like Oh No, Ross and Carrie and Sawbones. But I think expecting the show to be the same as the original in quality/chemistry/etc is setting yourself up for disappointment. I enjoyed today's episode because I happen to really like Rhea Butcher's stand up and Dave Holmes VJ work from the 90s so it was fun to have them try to play in the McElroy's sandbox.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think the issue is they didn't live up to the brothers, I think the issue is they spent 90% of the time saying 'remember the 80's' and rolling their eyes at questions. Like, none of them seemed to be interested at all in doing the show.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think the issue is they didn't live up to the brothers, I think the issue is they spent 90% of the time saying 'remember the 80's' and rolling their eyes at questions. Like, none of them seemed to be interested at all in doing the show.

I think one huge part of what makes MBMBAM work is that the McElroys could do literally any format and it would be just as good. The yahoo answers are barely a factor in the show anymore; they could do twitter words like improv4humans and it would work almost as well. It's their rapport and total commitment to whatever bit they are doing that makes their numerous multimedia projects work.

Having jaded stand up washouts read funny things other people made on the internet and scoff is already every third podcast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The McElroys could take a question about dating based on Harry Potter houses and spin it into a wonderful 5 minute goof. Apparently these guys are just like "Grow up"

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Sleeveless posted:

If they had this week's hosts switch with Oh No Ross and Carrie next year and then ship them off to some murder-suicide cult I would actually start donating money to Maximum Fun.

Whoa, whoa. Remember The Midnight Amendment: Be Cool.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Waffleman_ posted:

The McElroys could take a question about dating based on Harry Potter houses and spin it into a wonderful 5 minute goof. Apparently these guys are just like "Grow up"

Seriously, by all accounts it should have been Wizard Swears mk II: Wizard loving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfuQQ4lD_kI

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sleeveless posted:

Seriously, by all accounts it should have been Wizard Swears mk II: Wizard loving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfuQQ4lD_kI

Thank you so much for reminding me of this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Yea pretty much this is the main difference. Which is kinda ironic since Jordan started out as mr 'new sincerity', you know, stop ironically liking things and just admit you like them.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So Jordan and Jesse are handling SPY this week. I haven't heard it yet, but I can imagine it turning out as basically an episode of JJGO. Not that I'm complaining, since I like both shows.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 6, 2015

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Jordan, Jesse, with guest Jon.

That's just too many J's.

The Phantom Ghost
Feb 28, 2007

hold on what kind of fighting robot is he again
how does one become "America's radio sweetheart" and how can the title be revoked

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

The Phantom Ghost posted:

how does one become "America's radio sweetheart" and how can the title be revoked

The same way one becomes "Explodo," actually.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The only way the title of Boy Detective can be revoked is when the commish tells you to hand over your boy-badge and boy-gun.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Chuck, can you tell me what your favorite TV show is?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

myron cope posted:

Chuck, can you tell me what your favorite TV show is?

You watching Grinder?

(The Grinder is actually v. funny and good, Travis is correct as always.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm America's radio sweetheart and I'm going to insult someone who has a silly Harry Potter question because I'm a sweetheart.

I can't get over that. The brothers pretty much never actually insult a question asker, even a Yahoo, unless the question is like legitimately dire. It just seems needlessly mean.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, completely dismissing that question was really jarring, and didn't fit the tone of the show at all.

I finally listened to My Jesse My Dave Holmes and Rhea, and it wasn't... quite as bad as people were making it out to be, but yeah, it absolutely wasn't a MBMBaM episode. I feel like they just skimmed over or straight up skipped, like, 3 questions. Hearing Jesse laughing through the Yahoos was kinda entertaining, though.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SpacePig posted:

I feel like they just skimmed over or straight up skipped, like, 3 questions.

You've listened to My Brother, My Brother, and Me, right?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Poopy Palpy posted:

You've listened to My Brother, My Brother, and Me, right?

There's a big difference between "Not answering a question after getting stuck on a goof train" and "acknowledging a question, and immediately moving on". The questions were answered with "grow up", and then left at that.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So weird that goons would get all riled up over someone poking fun at Harry Potter fans.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crindee posted:

So weird that goons would get all riled up over someone poking fun at Harry Potter fans.

buncha children who're crying about being told to grow up itt

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I liked the show but Jesse's laugh sounds like it comes from a soundboard

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't get over that. The brothers pretty much never actually insult a question asker, even a Yahoo, unless the question is like legitimately dire.

umm i'm a horsehead and their repeated refusal to learn anything true horse(tm) is insulting to my lifestyle

But seriously, I can't remember them insulting a questioner. The most they do is giving the straight answer (such as their catchphrase of "pack your bags and move away") with not much goof. What was the closest they ever been to insults?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't actually remember either, I was just covering my bases.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

toanoradian posted:

umm i'm a horsehead and their repeated refusal to learn anything true horse(tm) is insulting to my lifestyle

But seriously, I can't remember them insulting a questioner. The most they do is giving the straight answer (such as their catchphrase of "pack your bags and move away") with not much goof. What was the closest they ever been to insults?

I think they used to make fun of furries that would show up in Yahoos, but I don't think they've ever outright insulted a question asker without the question also being a bummer.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
They made a few cracks about furries early on and apparently got a shitload of e-mails about it, leading to their current super-inclusive "hahaha everyone is different PLEASE DON'T YELL AT US FURRIES" attitude towards them.

efb

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I don't know if they make fun of them per se, but they've definitely admonished folks who violate cardinal rules in questions like "don't ask out people whose job depends on being nice to you", etc.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

kmzh posted:

I don't know if they make fun of them per se, but they've definitely admonished folks who violate cardinal rules in questions like "don't ask out people whose job depends on being nice to you", etc.

Yeah, they get strict on stuff like the recent "my coworker quit and left a note on my desk saying he always liked me should I go on a date him" and they just lay into "NO" but it's never quite insulting.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

There was that one guy who wanted to pull his car up alongside college girls and flirt with them, though I can't remember if that was a Yahoo or not.

Travis called a dude a slob for not washing his pants.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There's the guy at one of the Face 2 Face's who doesn't enjoy any holidays and the brothers just kinda said he sucked

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Alaois posted:

There's the guy at one of the Face 2 Face's who doesn't enjoy any holidays and the brothers just kinda said he sucked

Yeah, a bummer.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, a bummer.

When you break the only rule you deserve what you get.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I've just listened to the MBMBaM with JDR and got to that bit with the Harry Potter thing ("Is finding out what Hogwarts house someone is in an acceptable prerequisite for dating them") and really the bad part is that Jesse hates Drew Davenport. You can't hate the Drew-id, the Yadrew Shaman level Four Million, and Professional Giant!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope the flophouse adventure zone is just one round of combat while everyone bitches about the rules being interpreted correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

To be honest, I think I'll be fine with the Flophouse Adventure Zone if they make up their own characters and story for a oneshot adventure. If they take Taako, Magnus, and Merle and do something really dumb and out-of-character, I probably won't like it that much.

The podcast itself isn't that bad, it's just got a terrible ad.

• Locked thread