Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

badjohny posted:

lol. This keynote is definitely unique. I have to admit that I like this new Microsoft.

Yup definitely enjoying the new Microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ha, holding the pen eraser down launches Cortana. That's a nifty touch.

Although it has a one year battery life and is not rechargeable.

So, a new pen every year?? That sounds kinda dumb.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

This guys starting to sound like he got lost on the way to an apple conference "look at this product, david, out of his mind, out of his body, out of his hand, symphony just for you, beauty of pen to digital content yadayadayada" gently caress off just tell me the price right?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

BonoMan posted:

Ha, holding the pen eraser down launches Cortana. That's a nifty touch.

Although it has a one year battery life and is not rechargeable.

So, a new pen every year?? That sounds kinda dumb.

My Dell Venue 8 Pro pen took a really thin AAAA battery, maybe this takes two? I don't see why it can't be battery powered, what makes you think they have to be thrown away?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

OldPueblo posted:

My Dell Venue 8 Pro pen took a really thin AAAA battery, maybe this takes two? I don't see why it can't be battery powered, what makes you think they have to be thrown away?

It hasn't been mentioned how it charges - the interchangeable tips on the pen look cool, actually.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

DarkMalfunction posted:

It hasn't been mentioned how it charges - the interchangeable tips on the pen look cool, actually.

I just realized I don't know how the surface pro 3 pen works so I looked it up. I guess it has three batteries in it, one AAAA and two other tiny types for science or something. All purportedly replaceable, so I'd assume they're maintaining that with the new pen.

I plan on ordering the Band 2 today, I've been quite happy with the original (lost 30 pounds, go go gadget motivation) but less scratch prone and getting rid of hard angles are definitely upgrades I can appreciate.

Also he just announced Surface Book, a surface laptop. :woop:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

I just realized I don't know how the surface pro 3 pen works so I looked it up. I guess it has three batteries in it, one AAAA and two other tiny types for science or something. All purportedly replaceable, so I'd assume they're maintaining that with the new pen.

I plan on ordering the Band 2 today, I've been quite happy with the original (lost 30 pounds, go go gadget motivation) but less scratch prone and getting rid of hard angles are definitely upgrades I can appreciate.

If you know, how does it work with iOS? I am really thinking of getting one instead of the apple watch.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Surface book. I wonder how OEMs are going to feel about this

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

Also he just announced Surface Book, a surface laptop. :woop:

I don't want a laptop, prefer the Pro 4 but holy gently caress the Surface Book looks awesome.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

badjohny posted:

If you know, how does it work with iOS? I am really thinking of getting one instead of the apple watch.

The bands work well with either Android or ios. The only thing you don't get on ios (don't know about Android) is the cortana integration

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

OldPueblo posted:

I guess there might be some confusion, but this post from The Verge's liveblog: "It's not rechargable (they didn't want it to be), but it has 1 year of battery life."

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

$549 and out in November is definitely a buy for me. :) It'd be cool if it came with the dock thing too.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

.Tim posted:

I don't want a laptop, prefer the Pro 4 but holy gently caress the Surface Book looks awesome.

I mean, apparently it can run LoL, build a building and cure cancer, looks good to me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wow that Surface Book looks loving sexy as hell.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

BonoMan posted:

Wow that Surface Book looks loving sexy as hell.

Yeah it really does. Wonder how much this is going to cost and what nvidia gpu is in it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

havenwaters posted:

Yeah it really does. Wonder how much this is going to cost and what nvidia gpu is in it.

I can't imagine it'd be cheap. I think they'll try to undercut Apple somehow, but I'm thinking starting at $1299?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

The bands work well with either Android or ios. The only thing you don't get on ios (don't know about Android) is the cortana integration

Yep, honestly the Cortana integration is used many times a day by me and is a huge benefit. I bet it somehow makes its way to IOS and Android though, I hear they're trying. In my car while listening to my phat beatz at high volume I can speak into my wrist like James Bond without music interruption rather than interrupting what I'm listening to by launching voice control from the phone or car head unit.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Gears on the surface book, does this mean there will be a PC version of gears?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Uziduke posted:

Yeah they mentioned that Gears 1 HD was getting a directx 12 pc build back during E3. So was KI.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Uziduke posted:

Yes just stream it to your PC from your Xbone. :tipshat:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Uziduke posted:

it looked like he was just playing a video of gears. if you look at the icon it said gears video or something like that.

edit

well poo poo...its a convertible...I might be sold.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 6, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

badjohny posted:

it looked like he was just playing a video of gears. if you look at the icon it said gears video or something like that.

Yeah he mentioned that it was a video of stuff captured from playing on the surface book.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

badjohny posted:

edit

well poo poo...its a convertible...I might be sold.

Yeah. I think this beats the pro 4 for me.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah this beats the poo poo out of the surface pro 4. Wow.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok so it's a convertible, tablet, can reverse to cover the keyboard (THANK YOU gently caress) and only cost $1500? Jesus.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

.Tim posted:

Yeah. I think this beats the pro 4 for me.

ok...i am confused. It looks like it is a pro 4 with a docking station that turns it into the pro book.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

badjohny posted:

ok...i am confused. It looks like it is a pro 4 with a docking station that turns it into the pro book.

Well for the book, most of the processing power is in the base (i'm guessing there's a weaker secondary chip in the display to take care of basic tabletting needs?). So when you separate it into the tablet, it's not going to be as powerful as the Pro 4.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

It looks like the intel cpu is in the display. The base has the nvidia GPU.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

havenwaters posted:

Ah, well there you go. That's pretty goddamned awesome considering you'd still get nice performance out of the Intel chips.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

havenwaters posted:

ya. thats what i am thinking too. so most of the guts are in the screen, and when you dock it you get the faster GPU. So its basically a surface tablet with a GPU dock/keyboard

badjohny fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 6, 2015

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
He said full windows 10 on the phone, but I doubt its full version, or we could run anything on it. I would love to be able to play hearthstone on a windows phone.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Uziduke posted:

He said full windows 10 on the phone, but I doubt its full version, or we could run anything on it. I would love to be able to play hearthstone on a windows phone.

It is the "Full" Windows, in so much as it's the same kernel and the same underlying OS as you would see on the desktop. But it's still ARM. Think of it like what Windows RT should have been. In this case though, it can only run UWP apps. So, for example, my Awful app will run in this mode, since it's UWP. VLC for Windows Phone 8.1 won't run, since it's not a UWP app yet.

But otherwise, the apps themselves are exactly the same as you would see on your desktop.

Also:

I applied for VLC, since they are in France and right now this is U.S and Canada only.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

havenwaters posted:

Given that they said it'll have GDDR5 memory, that means it could be a GeForce 950M at the very minimum which is a respectable GPU for running games at 1080p. Given the price point of $1499, it's probably a 960M.

However if they're using a Thunderbolt 3 connector to join the GPU in the detachable keyboard with the CPU and mainboard in the screen, it opens up the possibility of external graphics cards especially for desktop setups. :flashfap:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Through this whole presentation I kept trying to figure out how I was going to sell all my mac stuff so I can go back to windows :) They really knocked it out of the park with this. My only hangup would be the app selection on the phone and how great iMessage is when you and your contacts are deep into the apple ecosystem.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR
I'm throwing money at the screen right now Mr. Nadella. Why isn't that working?

And with the exception of the surface book presenter repeatedly talking about how exciting it was to touch, today just knocked it out of the park.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So that Google on W10M rumor is pretty much bullshit?

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Most likely bullshit but also if it is legit it might be too soon to announce. But I'd bet bullshit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Guess so.

Also I want so bad for the app ecosystem to get better on W10. I'm chomping at the bit to go back to a Windows Phone goddamnit. Just incentivize the gently caress out of the devs Microsoft!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Surface book. I wonder how OEMs are going to feel about this
The impression I got from the presentation is pretty much "Our OEMs' poo poo sucks. If they don't us building good poo poo, they can either build good poo poo or get out."

Didn't see any mention of type-c on the surface line. WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
Full blown Core ix PC (assuming the same specs available in the SP4...16GB RAM / 1TB HDD) in the screen (minus the GPU / secondary battery? / full USB ports in the base). No visible kickstand though, likely due to the new hinge technology. Surface Book 2 will probably have some sort of hinge on the tablet part...they are calling it the "Clipboard"?