Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
finally found a way to get spray primer while overseas (aerosol shipping rules :argh: )

v stoked to get started on my IA figs tonight :3:

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I love it.

Remember when you made that battlesuit and everyone told you it had big thighs? Didn't that hurt your feelings? Aren't you just perpetuating the cycle of violence?

There's a reason my latest battlesuit has neither thunder thighs nor a giant robo-dong.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Had a weird thing happen last night. I was putting in a base coat of Citadel's Castellan Green and noticed the paint was clumping on the tip of my brush. It gummed up pretty solid and probably ruined the brush.

I thought maybe I'd gotten varnish in my water or on the brush or something so I grabbed fresh water and a crappy brush and it happened again.

I wasn't doing anything different from what I usually do (brush dipped in water, then lightly into the pot, wiping excess off on the pot lip) and the pot was well shaken. The pot was probably a year and a half or two years old, I don't use it often but never had a problem with it before. Has anyone ever had this happen?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Don't know what might have caused that, apart from the age of the paint (not sure, just a wild guess), but you can probably fix the brush by soaking it in white spirits/clean spirits - just clip the brush handle to the edge of a glass jar so the bristles aren't touching the bottom of the jar.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I had the same problem with a Model Master metallic green, that pot was also incredibly old.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z the IVth posted:

There's a reason my latest battlesuit has neither thunder thighs nor a giant robo-dong.

You let them compromise your art.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You let them compromise your art.

I did it man, I sold out to the Goon.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Xposting from the warhams thread -

It's been a while - but remember these guys?

Photobombing the first shot, a Techpriest Dominus and a bunch of (magnetized) Kataphrons. I'm aware the focus is hosed up.

But yeah, finally got some work done on these guys! The basic colors are now blocked out and I gave them all a thorough wash with Seraphim Sepia. I'm letting them dry overnight before I start cleaning up and highlighting them. Not pictured, a Forge World Fire Raptor I ended up finally finishing up for them - I gave it a gloss varnish coat earlier and I'll slap it with a matt varnish tomorrow before I start taking pictures.

I'm finally painting again and it feels great to finish up old projects, eeeeee~ :dance:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've finished up the first transport for The Blood Axes! I call it Da Scrumvee:

And with the boyz:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

I'd almost go with Scrumtrack.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd almost go with Scrumtrack.

Scrumtrack is only one letter off from Scruntrack, which is a mental image I really don't need.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SRM posted:

Scrumtrack is only one letter off from Scruntrack, which is a mental image I really don't need.

Yeah I admit my mind wandered in a very similar direction after I had posted that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
XPostin form the 40k thread:

BULBASAUR posted:

God drat the SRM train has no breaks and never stops. In the time he's modeled 2 tanks and painted one I barely finished my Dark Admech Magi:

Oh and one of them has a pimpin ride :black101:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If it makes you feel any better, I think those are pretty cool.

HerrMorden
Sep 5, 2004

Thought begets Heresy, Heresy begets Retribution.
I have way too much stuff on my plate :/

Not pictured: all the other stuff.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Disclaimer: I live in the third world

Wanting to spray prime my plastic figs, but was only able to find what appears to be labeled "white gloss." How hosed am I?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Mantis posted:

Wanting to spray prime my plastic figs, but was only able to find what appears to be labeled "white gloss." How hosed am I?

Fairly. You don't want gloss for priming minis. Paint won't stick to gloss.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

The Mantis posted:

I'm pretty sure that anything called "gloss" won't be good at accepting more paint on top of it. Primer paints can be bought in jars, if you can't get cans delivered. Priming by hand is no fun of course, and the result can be rough on fine detail.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
You shouldn't have any detail loss with brush-on primer. Just thin it a bit like you would with paint and go to town. It'll probably look a little streaky, but that's fine. You just need a thin coat to get the paint to stick. You can also use an airbrush and it works really well, but that's not necessary. The only real downside from rattlecan is that it takes more time to brush on the primer.

My personal preference is Vallejo surface primer, but there are a lot of different brush-on primers you can get.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

HerrMorden posted:

I have way too much stuff on my plate :/

Don't eat painted miniatures they are rife with toxins!

On the reals, though: I tell any hobbyist to buy one box at a time and complete assembly/painting before moving on.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
If for whatever reason you can't use spray, why not try liquid gesso instead of primer paint? It does a much better job of preserving detail.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm tellin' you guys, if you're having trouble keeping details with brush-on primer, you are applying it /way/ too thick.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Test model I'm working on. Not sure what I think about the color scheme... Something just doesn't feel right.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

SRM posted:

Fairly. You don't want gloss for priming minis. Paint won't stick to gloss.

Decorus posted:

I'm pretty sure that anything called "gloss" won't be good at accepting more paint on top of it. Primer paints can be bought in jars, if you can't get cans delivered. Priming by hand is no fun of course, and the result can be rough on fine detail.

damnit. thanks for the input.

What are the chances I can get this level of white/tan with a grey base coat?

Sorry for the basic-rear end questions.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Patience and many coats of thinned paint are all that stand between you, and your destiny.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Cyclomatic posted:

Test model I'm working on. Not sure what I think about the color scheme... Something just doesn't feel right.

It's good work. My gut says that you want your grays on the cool side instead of the warm, but I don't have a color theory justification for that.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

The Mantis posted:

damnit. thanks for the input.

It takes a few coats, like the other guy said you'll need to thin the paint down. But if you're starting from grey you'll get the shading for free, sort of.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Mantis posted:

You should be able to find automotive spray primer, which will work. Failing that have you thought about gouache paints? Those might be easier to come by in an art supply store.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The Mantis posted:

Plenty of people enter minis (of all colors) into painting competitions that have been primed in gray. You're fine.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

SRM posted:

Looks amazing, but for the love of god Montressor, white balance!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

It's good work. My gut says that you want your grays on the cool side instead of the warm, but I don't have a color theory justification for that.

The color theory justification is that yellow and blue provide a good compliment, and right now the warmth of the grays is making the profile too busy and breaking the focal point of the model. Cool it out with a duller, bluer gray on the arms, at least, and then the eye will have a natural hierarchy of the bright yellow parts, then the gentler grays and darker blue.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Sweet.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Makes sense.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The 2nd moisture trap is one I got off of Amazon, it has a pressure regulator built in. So I can dial up the PSI on the compressor, and then adjust the PSI to the airbrush on the fly if needed. Been using it fine for several months now with no problems.
Which one are you using? I need to get a setup like that - I like the "adjust on the fly" option.

Ilor posted:

Those loving own. Best use of the lovely Taurox mini I've ever seen.
The Taurox itself isn't lovely - it's the stupid track section that ruins the entire vehicle. If you swap out the track for wheels, it looks about 179% better.

JackMann posted:

They need to go goofier. 40K is not and never will be a serious setting.
Nah, it's always been semi-serious, just tongue in cheek. 40K shouldn't be goofy, it should just be over the top.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Is there a more paste like gap filler instead of the putty like green stuff? Not for sculpting, but repairing surfaces and filling in holes, where brittle is OK.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nah, it's always been semi-serious, just tongue in cheek. 40K shouldn't be goofy, it should just be over the top.

Which is this?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

berzerkmonkey posted:

Which one are you using? I need to get a setup like that - I like the "adjust on the fly" option.

The Taurox itself isn't lovely - it's the stupid track section that ruins the entire vehicle. If you swap out the track for wheels, it looks about 179% better.

40K space marines will never not look goofy. Frickin' pauldrons, man.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Which is this?

For all the work they put into it, they could have at least drilled the barrels or cleaned those mold lines

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Which is this?

Objectively kind of dumb.

JackMann posted:

40K space marines will never not look goofy. Frickin' pauldrons, man.
Take that back, sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cyclomatic posted:

Is there a more paste like gap filler instead of the putty like green stuff? Not for sculpting, but repairing surfaces and filling in holes, where brittle is OK.

Acrylic modeling (or molding) paste. You can get a 16-ounce tub from liquitex or Golden for about fifteen to twenty bucks.