Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diddums
Jan 31, 2014
All of the stories i have from working at a grocery store involve poo poo in some way or another.

Store 1 - One Sunday afternoon, an older lady crapped herself as she was walking down an aisle. She continued shopping until a worker stopped her. It had seeped through her pantyhose, and she had left a trail for two and a half aisles. Even worse, her walk had splashed it onto shelves and freezer doors. They had to close the store for a few hours to clean up.

Store 2 - Instead of a roll-up gate, this store had had a loading dock with 2 hinged doors. They had a lot of problems with homeless people sleeping up against the the doors to stay warm at night. The store manager opened the doors one day to start unloading a truck, stepped into some poo poo left up against the door, and slid down into the mess in one fluid motion.

Store 3 - A bad smell had been lingering in the store for a while. It was narrowed to the front-end, then to the service desk, then bathrooms down the hall. Several attempts were made to clean the bathrooms, but the smell stayed as strong as ever. Finally, they checked the drop ceiling to see if some animal had gotten stuck up there. Someone had poo poo in a meat tray and left it on top of one of the lights where it would heat back up every day when the lights were turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

^^: :ohdear: Was this grocery store in Hell, by any chance?

TracerBullet posted:

I don't know if this completely fits in with the theme of the thread but I couldn't figure out any place better. Besides, having worked in the food industry myself, the worst part is almost always the customers. This certainly speaks to that horror.

Trying to find a location for the Chicago Chipotle corporate office, I stumbled upon a website that listed the corporate headquarters for many companies, including Chipotle’s HQ in Denver. I like Chipotle more than the average fast food place, and I thought the general consensus was that most Americans were on board too, so the 2.0 ‘average’ rating and 449 total reviews really surprised me. This is just some random website, why are there so many reviews?

Because of people like this:

Shirley has berated some poor Chipotle employee MANY times about the hardness of her brown rice. Shirley is very serious about brown rice.

A cup of meat just doesn't cut it in the Kids Meal for this discerning consumer. HERRIBLE

Anonymous delivers a stream of consciousness complaint that says goodbye on its way out. Five stars indeed.

Again, this is just some random website on a corner of the internet. It is not Chipotle run or likely even checked by Chipotle…EVER. It’s like Ginger expects Mr. Chipotle to ring her up and help - she also ends with three question marks to show not even she knows where she wants the food to go.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

:shrug:

And this is all from Page 1...of 23. I certainly do not miss having to deal with customers.

This is my favourite entry aside from the movie theatre play from Saddest Rhino.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Outrail posted:

Well you see if you do a food safety course then anything you do is safe, you have a certificate to prove this. Thus, the things that used to be unsafe are now safe as long as you, the one with a food safety certificate, does it. If anyone else does it it is unsafe, but still acceptable.

You can switch 'food safe' for 'work safe' certification and the above still applies.

Source: I have worked with managers and supervisors in a number of industries.

When I was km at this one spot, I liked to give prep positions to kids from casual dining spots, cuz it's hard to get a job at a "real" restaurant when all you have on your resume is a few years at Chipotle or Five Guys or Applebee's or whatever. Most of the time it worked out fine, but one time I gave this guy a working interview who made an obnoxiously big deal out of his ServSafe certification. He was from a lovely local chain but seemed alright during his sit down interview, so when I took him to the kitchen he started going on about ServSafe again, about most small kitchens are filthy disease factories. he actually said "this place seems really clean but I bet even you mess up more than you realize." So I said "OK, so what temp are you supposed to cook chicken to?" He launches into this rant about chicken and botulism (which is like the one food borne illness that raw chicken doesn't carry), and ends it with "and that's why you always cook chicken to 150." I told him it was 165, and he flipped the gently caress out and told me I had no idea what I was talking about, and what do I even know, I'm just some scrub that wouldn't last a minute in a real kitchen always. (dunno what his idea of a "real kitchen" was, considering he was interviewing at a popular mid-level dining spot)

So yeah, I didn't give him the job.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Well alright then - round 2!

I seriously can't stop reading these...I think it's becoming a problem. When you look into the void, the void also looks into you.

I will be like the Jerry man! Also, I really hope poor Reagan isn't going to Chipotle to help her lose weight :(

Ignore the good review in the middle. Kenny is obviously in league with the gay cornholing pedophiliacs.

I sad chicken. Call the layers!

Do not read this opus below - I couldn't even screenshot the whole thing. Just remember that someone is posting this to a website dedicated solely to getting you the Chipolte corporate phone number. NO ONE WILL READ THIS ...except for me.

:stare:

Tyrell's got the hook-up if you want a recipe for melted cheese.

This guy's got the right idea. I really hope he tried to pull this off.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

TracerBullet posted:

I sad chicken. Call the layers!

I have two laugh settings: Dr Hibbert and evil witch. This one made me do the latter. Thank you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

She put me exactly 10 chickens.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Loved this thread; I don't have a good story but I was a kitchen porter
For a short while while I was at uni and hated it. Kudos to you hard workers in the industry!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I can't believe I didn't post my hosed up story yet.

When I worked at a bakery in 2012, one of our merchandise packagers had a heart attack while on the job. She was 80something and had known heart problems, so it was sad but not entirely unexpected.

The unexpected part was when my manager instructed myself and the rest of the bakers to let 911 handle things and just keep baking. One of the clerks started performing CPR, the paramedics showed up and continued to do so despite her being stone cold dead. It took a while for someone who could legally pronounce her dead to show up. I fried doughnuts roughly ten feet from a fresh corpse until police officers showed up and said "yo everyone, what the gently caress, stop baking, shut this all down you are done for today"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I've posted this on SA before, but it's been a few years. In high school, we were allowed to leave campus for lunch. The nearby Taco Bell was pretty popular with the students, and me being a smug vegetarian I never ate there with the cool kids, so I was saved the trouble of contracting hep A like everyone else when one disgruntled worker decided to add a special ingredient to the ground beef.

It was poop.

My Spanish class was empty except for me for a couple of weeks.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

death .cab for qt posted:

When I worked at a bakery in 2012, one of our merchandise packagers had a heart attack while on the job. She was 80something and had known heart problems, so it was sad but not entirely unexpected.

The unexpected part was when my manager instructed myself and the rest of the bakers to let 911 handle things and just keep baking. One of the clerks started performing CPR, the paramedics showed up and continued to do so despite her being stone cold dead. It took a while for someone who could legally pronounce her dead to show up. I fried doughnuts roughly ten feet from a fresh corpse until police officers showed up and said "yo everyone, what the gently caress, stop baking, shut this all down you are done for today"

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I've posted this on SA before, but it's been a few years. In high school, we were allowed to leave campus for lunch. The nearby Taco Bell was pretty popular with the students, and me being a smug vegetarian I never ate there with the cool kids, so I was saved the trouble of contracting hep A like everyone else when one disgruntled worker decided to add a special ingredient to the ground beef.

It was poop.

Mmmohmy God, oh my God, what the gently caress. GUYS. WHAT THE gently caress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Try to avoid restaurants and eateries staffed by people who look like they wish they or you were dead

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

So never eat out then?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It was poop.

Didn't this actually make the news? Or did more than one taco bell worker poop in more than one taco bell and give large amounts of people diseases.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Didn't this actually make the news? Or did more than one taco bell worker poop in more than one taco bell and give large amounts of people diseases.

I think that was more recent. This was in WV in 1996. It would NOT surprise me if this happened more than once. It probably happens a lot, but tends to lead to more E. coli infections than hepatitis. I do believe it made local news, but I was a high schooler in West-by God-Virginia so my worldview was pretty small. No idea if it made national news.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It was poop.

How did you not use the perfect smilie for this

:itwaspoo:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh man! Missed opportunity!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Glumslinger posted:

:fork::nexus:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

I never eat anything with a face :colbert:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I have seen a small town cafe cook wipe his heavily snotty nose with the palm-side of his hand and then flip a burger with that same bare hand on a flat top greasy spoon griddle.

Don't eat at small town "cafe" places

If you're not very old, very young, or immuno-suppressed, you don't have to worry. We've all been sick before. I've seen restaurants that would turn your poo poo white with the filth but have never gotten sick from restaurant food. Frankly, kids will get you sick far more often then a restaurant. I never used to get stomach bugs but after my kids started school, I'm puking sick about once every 3 months. Filthy disease bags they are.

I will say though, disgusting-wise, there is a very popular trendy restaurant near my work that always has flies. Constant flies. Unbelievable flies. Year round. Summer, winter, spring, and fall. I do not trust them. Flies in a restaurant always come from a very, very filthy kitchen. I don't go there anymore. There are never flies in the winter in MN yet they somehow always have them.

Also they serve Sushi.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jesus, man. And here I was gonna tell a story about how awful it was that a dude tossed pizza dough so high it hit the ceiling every time he made a pie, you gotta show up with "I made doughnuts within spitting distance of a corpse"

Well, how about another story that involves a corpse? One time, I took a catering delivery out to a residential address. The name of the event wasn't specified on the ticket, but they'd paid in advance and there was no stay-in service, so I figured I'd just be dropping things off at someone's house. I get there, knock on the door, and a woman opens it. The first thing I see is a dead body.

It was a funeral.

"Oh, thank you for driving all this way, go ahead and put the sandwiches in the kitchen and the dessert and fruit trays over there by Frank." Frank, it turns out, was the name of the deceased. Just laying there in an open casket. Among the things I can say I've done in my life is the statement "I set a tray of freshly-cut pineapple on a table next to a dead man."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hah thats dark.
Totally stealing both of those if I ever make a show.

"Did you taste those canapes? Theyre to die for"
"Ooh where are they?"
"Theyre right there by Frank."

*cue awkward parks and rec style pan to coffin.*

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

thiswayliesmadness posted:

First guy in I'll call Bill and he seemed a little under skilled but was full of energy and enthusiasm for the kitchen. He had done a few other bar kitchens, but after reading Kitchen Confidential (Anthony Bourdain's book), he was sucked in by his tale of cooking adventures and wanted to live a life like him. I wish I had read the book at that point because Bourdain had a lot of luck, went through a lot of crap, and told tales of a chef banging a drunk bride over some garbage pails on her wedding night.

I enjoyed Kitchen Confidential, it was an interesting look into a path I didn't take on the road of life. It really puts you into the author's shoes through a career of cooking. On the other hand, I'd never romanticize it and strive to follow that same path. I mean, I enjoyed Into the Wild but I'm not going to go up to Alaska and try to live as a hermit in the wilderness. It's fascinating to read about, but if you go "yeah that's what I want to do with my life" you might be a bit hosed in the head.

quote:

He was nearly fired for coming in on mushrooms and freaking out a waitress by asking her to lock him in the fridge. What got him out the door was management watching him on the security camera as he took off his shoes and socks, then proceeded to was his bare feet in the same sink we sanitize chicken wings. Last I saw of him, his band was doing a free charity concert for some 50 cent burger joint in town.

When I was a dishwasher, we got a new dish guy that grew shrooms. He was a complete psychedelic burnout, almost beyond the point of stereotyping. He was really cheery and could get the job done, but man he was loving gone. Liked to talk about mermaids and UFOs, and how he was going to start his own energy drink brand that would eclipse Red Bull. He sold some shrooms to another dishwasher, who ate them in the middle of the night shift. I remember chilling outside with my shroomed out coworker at the end of the night, and he was eating chicken wings. He bit right through the bone and just crunched it all up before swallowing and taking another bite, bone and all. When this was pointed out he laughed hysterically for like 30 seconds straight, then decided it was time to go home. After I quit, I heard that the shroom growing dude got busted and ratted out a bunch of coworkers to the cops. He disappeared soon after.

We also had a guy with a nasty coke habit, and quite a drinker too. He'd bring those single serve airline bottles of liquor to work, and dump them into his cup of soda when no one was looking. He left the empty bottles all over the place, and other people had to talk to the manager because he was throwing his bottles in the trash cans at their stations. You could tell when he was fiending for coke, he'd be an rear end in a top hat to everyone. In the prep room all alone? He'd come in and turn on two ovens, leaving the doors open just a crack so you'd be in sweltering heat. He left before I did, and someone saw him a couple months later. He looked a lot healthier and was in a great mood. Hope he cut down on his habit :shobon:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

p-hop posted:

I'd never romanticize it

Lots of people do, and it drives me nuts for many reasons. They tend to be young people, having just finished the book and expect working in a kitchen to be a glamorous rockstar life full of drugs and booze and sex (and sometimes, it is) 24/7. They act like they know it all because they read the book, and talk themselves up as if they're top-tier professionals. It gets my goat that they completely ignore the part at the beginning when he's describing what a poo poo he was when he was young and why it was horrible behavior starting out. I also hate that they pick out all the awesome rockstar stories and ignore any parts where Bourdain explains that the work is grueling, you're gonna burn yourself, cut yourself, have to work insane hours for little pay, you'll be underappreciated, you'll become an alcoholic and dependent on one or more drugs, etc. They forget all of that and just keep saying "Yeah this is gonna rock so hard," then get indignant when they need to cover a shift on a Friday night or you tell them to stop showing up drunk or hungover, or to quit smoking weed on the loading dock. "It's a kitchen, dude, haven't you read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain? This stuff happens all the time, man." Did you read the part at the end, you goober, where he says that all of those wacky hijinks were from an era gone by and that nowadays things like that wouldn't fly because kitchens are more professional? Urgh

Story time!

When I was an undergrad, I part-timed in the Union as a kitchen worker. The kitchen was actually two kitchens--one on the ground floor and one on the floor above--and I worked in the lower one. The lower kitchen served a cafeteria-style deal and the upper one served a sit-down restaurant. Nothing fancy, but they had cloth napkins.

I made pizzas and did prep to help out the old-timers. Our unofficial supervisor was Allan. He'd been there a long drat time. He was a nice guy, but I was warned repeatedly not to piss him off. I guess there had been an episode right before I got hired in which the bigwigs told him he could no longer listen to his radio at work. Apparently the shouting was so loud it could be heard all the way back in the kitchen from the administrative offices. Whatever went down, we ended up being able to enjoy classic rock while we worked.

So, little things could set Allan off, and while I was there, lots of little (and not so little) things kept happening to him. He was passed up for a promotion to the upstairs kitchen by someone "conveniently" related to the boss, his truck broke down, and his dealer got pinched. Poor guy spent days walking around both kitchens quietly asking even the part-timers if we had any weed. He explained that all he wanted to do after a long day in that hot kitchen was sit down on his recliner with a cold sixer and smoke a bowl in front of the TV. I felt bad for the dude, but the town was pretty dry that summer. Nobody had anything.

One inexplicable thing that would happen on a daily basis was that at some point, the service elevator would arrive on our floor and one of the shirt-and-tie upstairs employees would bring in a cart with a tray of food on it.

Only, nobody asked for it. Ever. We had no idea why trays of random food were arriving once a day and the employees delivering them would just shrug and say "look they told me to bring this down to Allan." Our menu was planned months in advance, so we had no use for any of it. He'd get a little grumpy, but never wanted to shoot the messenger, so he'd take the tray and thank them, then throw it away when they were gone. Sliced tomatoes. Chicken breasts. Plain penne. Mashed potatoes. Garlic bread. And one day, a gal brought down a small container of chopped mango. Was this poo poo they didn't have room for? Their leftovers? Food that was about to go bad? We never knew.

When this first started, Allan was frustrated with it, but started turning it into a prank. Every single thing he got, he'd re-pan, top with cheese, then put it in the oven to melt the cheese. Didn't matter what it was. Pears? Yep. Lasagna that was already smothered with cheese? Oh yeah. When it was done, he'd send one of us part-timers up the elevator, saying "tell them this is from Allan." We'd laugh our asses off every time someone would come back down empty-handed--the upstairs kitchen was actually accepting pans full of the same random food they'd been sending us, covered with cheese.

So one day, Allan's about to snap. We can all feel it. Everyone is silently going about their duties, trying to stay out of his way, when the elevator buzzes.

Steamed veggies.

"Thanks, doll. Leave the cart, though, I got something I gotta take upstairs in a little while."

Damon was another old-timer.

"Whatever you're thinking, don't do it, man."

Allan wasn't listening. He cheerfully tossed the veggies (pan and all) into the food waste bin, got down a new pan, and took off toward the non-food storage closet. It was full of holiday decorations, extra signage, etc.

He comes back after a few minutes with a bunch of x-mas garland, fake flowers, and fake ivy. Tosses all the poo poo in the pan, and sets about making an arrangement out of all of it. He's in the middle of creating his masterpiece when he says, "Go grab me the mozz."

"No way, man, don't do this."

Allan wasn't listening then, either. Just staring at the timer on the oven. It dings, and he pulls out a tray of fake foliage drowning in melted mozzarella cheese.

The last time I ever saw Allan was when he disappeared into the elevator with his creation. All we knew was that he walked out after making his delivery, through the front of the restaurant, right past all the diners, still sweaty and wearing a stained apron. Asking any questions about it got us stern lectures from the managers about minding our own business.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Are there any other threads like this for different professions because holy poo poo every post in here is solid gold.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well there's the healthcare stories thread, that's usually pretty entertaining.

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

I worked in a KFC in England when I was 17, most employees were around my age. Other than a couple of jobsworths, most of the management were actually pretty cool and didn't really care what we did as long as we didn't get complaints. So on quiet days we actually had fun sometimes. On one of those days we chipped in and offered to pay the cook £40 to drink a cup of fryer oil and he did it, then threw up all over the kitchen. In all the food prep areas there were cameras everywhere, so nobody could get away with tampering with food. Honestly we didn't care enough to even bother - if a customer was being lovely we just wanted to serve them quickly and get them to leave. The place was generally very good about hygiene, there were hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere which we all used constantly. Gloves for making sandwiches, tongs for handling any kind of food etc.

Probably the worst thing about that place was if service was slow we would have pre-made sandwiches sitting under a heat lamp for sometimes hours before we served them. I can only imagine the lettuce and mayonnaise was pretty gross by that time. We had a new employee who only lasted a week because he was caught picking at his eczema and eating it, while bagging up fries.

A lot of the guy managers would constantly hit on the younger girls that worked there, me included. We didn't think anything of it although looking back it was really gross and creepy. We just laughed along with it because they gave us preferential treatment and let us get away with stuff. I took up smoking while working there because smokers got extra breaks. I hated that job but I have fond memories looking back. It was kinda nice being paid to basically gently caress around all day.

Be nice and polite to all your food servers - not because they might spit in your food, but because they're working a lovely job for low pay and they should be treated nicely.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
There's also the OSHA thread in GBS. That one's more pictures than stories, but people do talk about crazy poo poo they've seen at jobsites there.

There's a general sort of "stories from foodservice" thread somewhere, too. Maybe GWS? I remember it being consistently great, though I haven't caught up in a long time.

A/T has threads where posters say "Tell me your stories about X," and while they don't really take off the way threads in other subforums do, they're usually pretty entertaining.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pharnakes posted:

I quit reading that thread because it alternated between hilarious and hilariously depressing. Does Elise the Great still post stories there?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Lots of people do, and it drives me nuts for many reasons. They tend to be young people, having just finished the book and expect working in a kitchen to be a glamorous rockstar life full of drugs and booze and sex (and sometimes, it is) 24/7. They act like they know it all because they read the book, and talk themselves up as if they're top-tier professionals. It gets my goat that they completely ignore the part at the beginning when he's describing what a poo poo he was when he was young and why it was horrible behavior starting out. I also hate that they pick out all the awesome rockstar stories and ignore any parts where Bourdain explains that the work is grueling, you're gonna burn yourself, cut yourself, have to work insane hours for little pay, you'll be underappreciated, you'll become an alcoholic and dependent on one or more drugs, etc. They forget all of that and just keep saying "Yeah this is gonna rock so hard," then get indignant when they need to cover a shift on a Friday night or you tell them to stop showing up drunk or hungover, or to quit smoking weed on the loading dock. "It's a kitchen, dude, haven't you read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain? This stuff happens all the time, man." Did you read the part at the end, you goober, where he says that all of those wacky hijinks were from an era gone by and that nowadays things like that wouldn't fly because kitchens are more professional? Urgh

Story time!

When I was an undergrad, I part-timed in the Union as a kitchen worker. The kitchen was actually two kitchens--one on the ground floor and one on the floor above--and I worked in the lower one. The lower kitchen served a cafeteria-style deal and the upper one served a sit-down restaurant. Nothing fancy, but they had cloth napkins.

I made pizzas and did prep to help out the old-timers. Our unofficial supervisor was Allan. He'd been there a long drat time. He was a nice guy, but I was warned repeatedly not to piss him off. I guess there had been an episode right before I got hired in which the bigwigs told him he could no longer listen to his radio at work. Apparently the shouting was so loud it could be heard all the way back in the kitchen from the administrative offices. Whatever went down, we ended up being able to enjoy classic rock while we worked.

So, little things could set Allan off, and while I was there, lots of little (and not so little) things kept happening to him. He was passed up for a promotion to the upstairs kitchen by someone "conveniently" related to the boss, his truck broke down, and his dealer got pinched. Poor guy spent days walking around both kitchens quietly asking even the part-timers if we had any weed. He explained that all he wanted to do after a long day in that hot kitchen was sit down on his recliner with a cold sixer and smoke a bowl in front of the TV. I felt bad for the dude, but the town was pretty dry that summer. Nobody had anything.

One inexplicable thing that would happen on a daily basis was that at some point, the service elevator would arrive on our floor and one of the shirt-and-tie upstairs employees would bring in a cart with a tray of food on it.

Only, nobody asked for it. Ever. We had no idea why trays of random food were arriving once a day and the employees delivering them would just shrug and say "look they told me to bring this down to Allan." Our menu was planned months in advance, so we had no use for any of it. He'd get a little grumpy, but never wanted to shoot the messenger, so he'd take the tray and thank them, then throw it away when they were gone. Sliced tomatoes. Chicken breasts. Plain penne. Mashed potatoes. Garlic bread. And one day, a gal brought down a small container of chopped mango. Was this poo poo they didn't have room for? Their leftovers? Food that was about to go bad? We never knew.

When this first started, Allan was frustrated with it, but started turning it into a prank. Every single thing he got, he'd re-pan, top with cheese, then put it in the oven to melt the cheese. Didn't matter what it was. Pears? Yep. Lasagna that was already smothered with cheese? Oh yeah. When it was done, he'd send one of us part-timers up the elevator, saying "tell them this is from Allan." We'd laugh our asses off every time someone would come back down empty-handed--the upstairs kitchen was actually accepting pans full of the same random food they'd been sending us, covered with cheese.

So one day, Allan's about to snap. We can all feel it. Everyone is silently going about their duties, trying to stay out of his way, when the elevator buzzes.

Steamed veggies.

"Thanks, doll. Leave the cart, though, I got something I gotta take upstairs in a little while."

Damon was another old-timer.

"Whatever you're thinking, don't do it, man."

Allan wasn't listening. He cheerfully tossed the veggies (pan and all) into the food waste bin, got down a new pan, and took off toward the non-food storage closet. It was full of holiday decorations, extra signage, etc.

He comes back after a few minutes with a bunch of x-mas garland, fake flowers, and fake ivy. Tosses all the poo poo in the pan, and sets about making an arrangement out of all of it. He's in the middle of creating his masterpiece when he says, "Go grab me the mozz."

"No way, man, don't do this."

Allan wasn't listening then, either. Just staring at the timer on the oven. It dings, and he pulls out a tray of fake foliage drowning in melted mozzarella cheese.

The last time I ever saw Allan was when he disappeared into the elevator with his creation. All we knew was that he walked out after making his delivery, through the front of the restaurant, right past all the diners, still sweaty and wearing a stained apron. Asking any questions about it got us stern lectures from the managers about minding our own business.

I don't understand. He was mad they were sending your kitchen meals? Maybe they were trying to be nice. Or were just mistaken. Why would he get fired for pranking them back?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

blaarghh posted:

We had a new employee who only lasted a week because he was caught picking at his eczema and eating it, while bagging up fries.

:barf: Auggghhhhh

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I just remembered the parking lot shitter. It was this lady who would wander through the restaurant parking lot, squat between two cars, and lay a deuce. One time she snuck into the storage container near the dumpsters that held dirty linens waiting to be sent out for washing and unused furniture/appliances. She laid out a cloth napkin on the floor and took a dump on it, then closed the storage container door. It was a hot summer day. The inside smelled awful for weeks after. Yes, we threw out the napkin.

Pharnakes posted:

Yeah if you like this thread I'd recommend that one. Drunk people injuring themselves in exotic new ways, patients getting all kinds of stuff stuck in their asses and going to the doctor, etc. It's a good read.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jastiger posted:

I don't understand. He was mad they were sending your kitchen meals? Maybe they were trying to be nice. Or were just mistaken. Why would he get fired for pranking them back?

Lots of little things piled onto the poor guy over time and he sort of lost his marbles and ended up walking out. He didn't get fired, he pulled that last prank and hit the road.

Why was he mad? Well, kitchens are busy places, and when you're in the middle of making food for hundreds of people and already grumpy about lots of other things, someone showing up with what looks like leftovers from their kitchen for the hundredth time, expecting you to do something with them even though you've never been able to use them for anything any of the other times would be frustrating. It was his last straw.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There's a general sort of "stories from foodservice" thread somewhere, too. Maybe GWS? I remember it being consistently great, though I haven't caught up in a long time.

There's Very Little Meat in These Gym Mats: The Restaurant Industry Thread

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I don't have really crazy stories, but I did work in a few crappy places in Canada. One burger shop had the owner/cook making all the expected hamburgers and fried chicken orders for the night in the morning before we opened. They'd then sit in a bowl from about 11 to 9 just waiting for an order and we'd microwave them and send them out the door. Oh, the sink was constantly coated in grease and I got in trouble once for doing all the dishes in actual hot water because the "water heater wasn't big" so they mainly just rinsed them in lukewarm, soapy water. Not even the potato wedges were made to order, they'd just get shuffled around endlessly. I never closed so I never asked, but I'm entirely sure the leftover burgers and chicken just got tossed into the next day's bowl. The buns sat in giant bags just open to the flies.

But the worst was the display case. That loving display case had the same slices of cake and pie on it the day I was hired to the day I walked out 3 weeks later. My trainer confessed that the display case had never been changed, ever, since she started there months ago. I had to basically steer customers away from it. No, trust me, you don't want that cake. Nobody wants the cake, I'm pretty sure the cake will outlive me. Can I interest you in some outdated cans of soda to go with your microwaved burger and cold, hours old potato wedges? Yeah, the soda was flat.

The stupidest place was the bakery. The owner was batshit and for some reason didn't want prices of anything posted or anything labelled--we were magically supposed to know everything. So as a new hire, I naturally had no loving idea what to charge people. The cheat sheet was outdated, no prices on the walls, no computer just a register and half the time the more experienced staff would gently caress off. Nobody was trained to do anything, we were instructed to use our gloved hands to push the bread loaves down into the slicer instead of using the actual safety implements. Is the deli meat moldy? just slice it off, no don't throw away the 3 day old wrapped spaghetti, someone might buy that. It looked like petrified bloody diarrhea on noodles. This job was just so unnecessarily frustrating and gross. I still feel a little sorry about the woman I probably massively overcharged for some sandwich platter but I didn't even know the price of one sandwich much less a platter. And no, I didn't know what half the doughnuts or muffins had in them, I never knew the names of the breads, I didn't know the first drat thing and was frequently left alone in the store to just shrug at customers and ring up what I thought was best. Nothing was labelled, nothing.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

AnonSpore posted:

Are there any other threads like this for different professions because holy poo poo every post in here is solid gold.

There's one for reading (or commiserating) about the psychopathy of Corporate office life

The whole thread is worth following, but there is one goon in particular who's tales of corporate insanity rise above the rest. If you have nothing better to do, I highly reccomend the on-going tale of Sundae

Uhn
Oct 6, 2011

here comes george
in control
This is pretty mild compared to everything else, but after about a year I recently found out our grout isn't black. There's a thick layer of soft filth in the grout covering the entire kitchen area.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mild is hitting a line cook in the face with a pickle tossed frisbee-style from 30 feet away while he's trying to flirt with other kitchen staff. Caked on old filth is gross.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Picnic Princess posted:

Mild is hitting a line cook in the face with a pickle tossed frisbee-style from 30 feet away while he's trying to flirt with other kitchen staff. Caked on old filth is gross.

Ditto. I found out the same thing working for a grocer years back. We moved a piece of equipment in the produce prep area and the grout between the floor tiles under it was white. Must've taken a week of scrubbing to get the rest of that poo poo back in shape. It was so nasty. Thing is, it could've easily been prevented if people had followed the prescribed cleaning procedures when closing, but even the supervisors were skipping steps so why the hell should the part-timers bother doing it correctly?

Also, frisbee pickle reminds me of a game we used to play at Subway when I was a wee lad in high school: Tomato Races! Two competitors would each grab a slice of tomato and, at the same time, toss them toward the door to the kitchen, aiming for the top. Whoever's slid down and touched the floor first was the winner!

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Picnic Princess posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Food Industry Horror Story: HERRIBLE

I second this motion.

e: I would be equally happy with this:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Food Industry Horror Story: I sad chicken. Call the layers

Scandalous Wench has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You know what's weird to me? How I'm the only one to clean around the dish sink walls even though literally all you need to do is spray it with the high-powered hose. Like, two seconds of spraying, and I'm the only one who does it. What the actual gently caress is wrong with people? And how do restaurants work that don't even have one OCD employee doing all the cleaning? Or is that how you end up on Restaurant Impossible...

• Locked thread