Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My balls are a party and you’re invited

Did you stay up all night to think of something that pointless and irrelevant to say?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Tabletop Simulator's Superfight DLC is great. Its a polite Cards Against Humanity with superheroes and powers instead of jokes. Some combinations are hilarious.

Cheers, I'll give that a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Manic X posted:

Did you stay up all night to think of something that pointless and irrelevant to say?
the long, dark night that was the nine minutes between your post and mine, yes.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the long, dark night that was the nine minutes between your post and mine, yes.

this actually made me laugh. Ok you can stay, but your balls cannot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Manic X posted:

He has nailed the CAH experience, and didn't even need the answer conveniently written in a card to do so.

Go play Werewolf/Mafia, I'm pretty sure there are ways to play online (I think you want online, given Herpicle's suggestion.)

If not, check Codenames, Ladies&Gentlement, 2 Rooms and a Bomb or coup.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 5, 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Manic X posted:

What fun party games are out there at the moment; on level with Cards Against Humanity and Jackbox

Dixit.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm looking for a survival/builder game, something centered around gathering resources and tools and slowly building up a self-sustainable base or community. Some degree of danger and/or combat is ok, but I don't want it to be the main focus. The base can be a castle, a spaceship, a town, I don't care as long as I can upgrade, expand it and add new functionalities. Examples of games I played that had what I'm looking for:

This War of Mine
Cataclysm DDA
State of Decay
Harvest Moon
Factorio
Rimworld

Games I played but didn't like:
Starbound / Terraria and clones - too much of the progression is tied into combat and just upgrading your weapons and picks with a slightly better metal. Lots of things to gather, but most are ultimately useless
Dwarf Fortress - sounds good on paper, but is too much of a pain in the rear end to play nowadays. Whenever I get an urge to try it again, I give up after an hour or so
Planet Explorers - buggy, ugly UI. Looks like you can make your own items out of voxels, but I want to play a game, not learn 3d modeling.

I don't really care about the million multiplayer zombocraft games out there, but if there's one that's particularly good, I'm willing to try it out. No Minecraft though. City building games are cool and all, but I'd prefer something smaller-scale, where I can walk around my cool estate. PC only.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Banished maybe? It's a city-builder, but the "cities" are just small villages, and there's a lot more focus on the survival of the townspeople than in other such games.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Banished maybe? It's a city-builder, but the "cities" are just small villages, and there's a lot more focus on the survival of the townspeople than in other such games.

Banished is great, but be prepared to die your first few games to silly rookie mistakes. Gotta say though, once you've built up a large town, gameplay can become slightly monotonous. Still a lovely game to play.

I was going to recommend Factorio, cause it sounded just like what you wanted, but you've already played it! Thanks to you though I'll check out This War of Mine. Thanks.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

grate deceiver posted:

I'm looking for a survival/builder game, something centered around gathering resources and tools and slowly building up a self-sustainable base or community. Some degree of danger and/or combat is ok, but I don't want it to be the main focus. The base can be a castle, a spaceship, a town, I don't care as long as I can upgrade, expand it and add new functionalities.

Don't Starve might fit the bill.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

grate deceiver posted:

I'm looking for a survival/builder game, something centered around gathering resources and tools and slowly building up a self-sustainable base or community. Some degree of danger and/or combat is ok, but I don't want it to be the main focus. The base can be a castle, a spaceship, a town, I don't care as long as I can upgrade, expand it and add new functionalities. Examples of games I played that had what I'm looking for:

This War of Mine
Cataclysm DDA
State of Decay
Harvest Moon
Factorio
Rimworld

Games I played but didn't like:
Starbound / Terraria and clones - too much of the progression is tied into combat and just upgrading your weapons and picks with a slightly better metal. Lots of things to gather, but most are ultimately useless
Dwarf Fortress - sounds good on paper, but is too much of a pain in the rear end to play nowadays. Whenever I get an urge to try it again, I give up after an hour or so
Planet Explorers - buggy, ugly UI. Looks like you can make your own items out of voxels, but I want to play a game, not learn 3d modeling.

I don't really care about the million multiplayer zombocraft games out there, but if there's one that's particularly good, I'm willing to try it out. No Minecraft though. City building games are cool and all, but I'd prefer something smaller-scale, where I can walk around my cool estate. PC only.

Have you looked at Sheltered? It focuses on a family who's survived a nuclear apocalypse. You send family members out into the wastes to scavenge for food, medicine, and other supplies, while trying to create a tolerable shelter for your people in an underground bunker.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Pfox posted:

Have you looked at Sheltered? It focuses on a family who's survived a nuclear apocalypse. You send family members out into the wastes to scavenge for food, medicine, and other supplies, while trying to create a tolerable shelter for your people in an underground bunker.

While I find it fun, it's Early Access, so take that into account.

Speaking of Early Access, Dead State was released some time ago. It's about survivors during the zombie apocalypse and building up your base, but there is plenty of turn based combat. There is a demo, so take a look at it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fat Samurai posted:

While I find it fun, it's Early Access, so take that into account.

Speaking of Early Access, Dead State was released some time ago. It's about survivors during the zombie apocalypse and building up your base, but there is plenty of turn based combat. There is a demo, so take a look at it.

Also Project Zomboid.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Lycaeon posted:

Eh, I'll give this thread a go. I'm looking for a Dwarf-fortress style game (Except without the horrible graphics or unnecessary complex stuff) that has to deal with building a fortress/base/stronghold, managing its resources, and defending it from the alien invaders/zombies/enemy soldiers.

Multiplayer is a plus, but not absolutely needed.

And for the love of god don't mention Clash of Clans.

Thanks for your time.

I loved the original Stronghold game.I haven't played HD version or the sequels but I guess they might also be worth a try.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be checking Sheltered and Banished. Out of the two zombie games Project Zomboid looks more sim-ish? I'll look into that one.

I played Don't Starve, but it was too, I don't know, frantic? You have to be on the move all the time, I'd rather have a permanent base of operations.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

grate deceiver posted:

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be checking Sheltered and Banished. Out of the two zombie games Project Zomboid looks more sim-ish? I'll look into that one.

I played Don't Starve, but it was too, I don't know, frantic? You have to be on the move all the time, I'd rather have a permanent base of operations.

I was going to make a post very similar to your post. I was a huge fan of State of Decay and This War of Mine.

I'd say Project Zomboid is your best bet here. It's focused far more on survival than anything. There's the possibility you could take over a house, build a perimeter wall, add a second floor, collect rain water in buckets, and begin farming. It gets crazy. However, the game does play slowly and it's unforgiving at times.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Godmachine posted:

I was going to make a post very similar to your post. I was a huge fan of State of Decay and This War of Mine.

I'd say Project Zomboid is your best bet here. It's focused far more on survival than anything. There's the possibility you could take over a house, build a perimeter wall, add a second floor, collect rain water in buckets, and begin farming. It gets crazy. However, the game does play slowly and it's unforgiving at times.

Yeah, it is a very difficult survival game that is more like 'last as long as you can until the zombie horde inevitably kills you'' than it is 'build an impenetrable fortress of doom with a farm inside and win the game'. You basically wake up in the middle of a random location (on a huge map) and start surviving. At first you have power and water but after a random period of time the power will go out (causing all fresh foods in fridges to rapidly decay, lights to not work, etc) and the water will stop (which you can prepare for by filling pots and cups with water and building rainwater collectors, etc). Your character can progress across a lot of skills (carpentry, fighting, shooting, fishing, gathering, farming, etc). You not only have to worry about food, water, and sleep but also psychological stuff like panic, stress, depression, and boredom. Injuries are super serious and even a single bite from a zombie can be game over (also getting an infection from a cut by climbing through a broken window or something).

The game is still in an early access state so they are still adding stuff, but it's pretty fun from what I've played so far (I got it in the last Steam sale).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What's a god game where I can leave things unattended for a while, or be very powerful when I feel like doing stuff? I don't want to do lots of work levelling up my powers. I enjoyed From Dust but there wasn't enough actual growth, I didn't like Black & White because the player is not powerful enough in that game to be interesting.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RPG or open world style game where you play as the villain. ESPECIALLY if you can conquer towns and force them to pay tribute or something like that. Torture/interrogation also a huge plus.

Overlord 1 and 2 were fantastic. Upcoming overlord game, well, i am skeptical about it. But still I want more. Dungeon Keeper is excellent too but it lacks the joy of terrorizing helpless villagers. Evil Genius is great but lacks RPG elements.

Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, etc. are nice that you can play an evil character but without some form of conquest to personally gain control of territory I find it lacking.

Is there anything out there to scratch my evil domination itch?

khy fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 8, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Maybe Mount & Blade: Warband? It's very light on the RPG and very heavy on the open world. Have you played any Grand Strategy games? Assassinate your brother, marry your daughter: Crusader Kings 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The Fable games all let you be evil and take over villages and sacrifice people to evil gods and stuff. Its not suuuuper deep but its okay. Mount and Blade does let you conquer people but also kinda meh.

Overlord and Evil Genius (your av :) ) are as good as it gets IMO.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

The Fable games all let you be evil and take over villages and sacrifice people to evil gods and stuff. Its not suuuuper deep but its okay. Mount and Blade does let you conquer people but also kinda meh.

Overlord and Evil Genius (your av :) ) are as good as it gets IMO.

Well I still have War for the Overworld to pick up once it goes on sale this christmas, fingers crossed, so there is that as well. I was just thinking though that I would love a villain/demon world conquest game with a bit more focus on the player character directly, and less on grand strategy stuff like Civ and the like.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm in the mood for some tactical non sci-fi combat. Should I bother with Jagged Alliance 1, or go straight to 2? Apparently I have both on my GOG account, for some reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm in the mood for some tactical non sci-fi combat. Should I bother with Jagged Alliance 1, or go straight to 2? Apparently I have both on my GOG account, for some reason.

Go for 2, absolutely. Not only is it much more detailed than JA1 in every way, it also has the absolutely massive 1.13 mod that completely overhauls the game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Go for 2, absolutely. Not only is it much more detailed than JA1 in every way, it also has the absolutely massive 1.13 mod that completely overhauls the game.

Yep, what this guy said. JA1 and non-1.13 JA2 aren't worth bothering with in TYOOL 2015.

Note JA2 has a Sci-Fi box you'll want to uncheck if you don't want to deal with sci-fi subplots involving robots, aliens, guns that don't exist, etc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

chairface posted:

Yep, what this guy said. JA1 and non-1.13 JA2 aren't worth bothering with in TYOOL 2015.

Note JA2 has a Sci-Fi box you'll want to uncheck if you don't want to deal with sci-fi subplots involving robots, aliens, guns that don't exist, etc.

Isn't there a bullshit showdown at a major town you wanna turn off also?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

doctorfrog posted:

Isn't there a bullshit showdown at a major town you wanna turn off also?

Well, that's not a matter of avoiding anything sci-fi in particular, and 1.13 has options for keeping the counterattack and making it less ridiculous. I always liked the counterattack; it definitely teaches you to make the most out of the early guns and judicious use of high explosives, assuming you don't roof/bar cheese it. But yeah for a first timer turn off Drassen Counterattack in the .ini editor program, and make yourself 6 IMPs (player characters, basically) because you can.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat Samurai posted:

Have you tried Valkyria Chronicles?

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I've had a hankering for a going trading game with some RPG elements (or at least some sort of progression) along the lines of X3. It doesn't have to be a space game though.

Game's I've tried and liked:
X3
EVE
Freelancer
Dwarf Fortress (sort of suits what I'm looking for)

Games that were close but didn't really do it for me:
Cosmonautica
Some of the Anno games
The Guild series
(gave one of the games a chance but didn't get into it. If you guys think it's worth it I'll try again if you have a suggestion of which one to try)[b]

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

MrTargetPractice posted:

I've had a hankering for a going trading game with some RPG elements (or at least some sort of progression) along the lines of X3. It doesn't have to be a space game though.

Game's I've tried and liked:
X3
EVE
Freelancer
Dwarf Fortress (sort of suits what I'm looking for)

Games that were close but didn't really do it for me:
Cosmonautica
Some of the Anno games
The Guild series
(gave one of the games a chance but didn't get into it. If you guys think it's worth it I'll try again if you have a suggestion of which one to try)[b]

The Mount & Blade games allow you to play as a merchant rather than a mercenary. I also believe Sid Meier's Pirates! allows you to do this.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Probottt posted:

The Mount & Blade games allow you to play as a merchant rather than a mercenary. I also believe Sid Meier's Pirates! allows you to do this.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've played and enjoyed both of those.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

chairface posted:

Well, that's not a matter of avoiding anything sci-fi in particular, and 1.13 has options for keeping the counterattack and making it less ridiculous. I always liked the counterattack; it definitely teaches you to make the most out of the early guns and judicious use of high explosives, assuming you don't roof/bar cheese it. But yeah for a first timer turn off Drassen Counterattack in the .ini editor program, and make yourself 6 IMPs (player characters, basically) because you can.

Merc personalities are the soul of JA and since I'm pretty sure IMPs don't have any real personalities, that's bad advice. Disabling the counterattack is good advice though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried Valkyria Chronicles?

Yes, and the blatant disregard of tactics and common sense needed to get high ranks in a mission really bugs me. Pity, because I'd enjoy the game otherwise.

I was asking about JA specifically because I have them on my GOG library, even if I don't remember buying them.

Thanks for the answers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
For JA2, also keep in mind that your starting guns will likely be sucky sidearms so the first few fights will be pretty frustrating because you can barely hit poo poo outside spitting distance. Once you get some longarms and a small scope or two it'll get a lot more comfortable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Silent Storm is in the current Humble Weekly Bundle and it's also really good WW2 tactical combat. I like it nearly as much as JA2

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I've been looking for a game similar to Cybernator or Metal Warriors for the SNES lately, but have been completely lost on finding anything.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Front Mission: Gun Hazard plays just like Cybernator and is much longer. Gunhound EX on the PC is clearly inspired by those games. Ranger X on the Genesis plays differently but you might like it too. A 6 button controller is highly recommended, otherwise the controls get weird.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Eopia posted:

I've been looking for a game similar to Cybernator or Metal Warriors for the SNES lately, but have been completely lost on finding anything.

Check out CRYPTARK http://store.steampowered.com/app/344740/

Don't be fooled by Early Access, there's a full game here and it's only going to get better. Warning: it's hard as balls.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Eopia posted:

In addition to the above, Gigantic Army on Steam is also the same sort of thing. I've never tried it myself though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Shab posted:

Check out CRYPTARK http://store.steampowered.com/app/344740/

Don't be fooled by Early Access, there's a full game here and it's only going to get better. Warning: it's hard as balls.

This is like a way better version of Galak-Z. Thanks for recommending it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to give them a try.