Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pierzak posted:

That's PanO.
Indeed it is. Pi-Well (a character's bot) from the Nomad list has ODD, but it's the only one.

To Genghis Cohen's point, pretty much everyone has access to all of the basic capabilities, but there will be differences. Hacking is a perfect example. I play vanilla Haqqislam, and while I have a decent number of hackers, I have exactly zero access to the Hacking Device Plus (which gives access to more sophisticated hacking programs). But the Nomads can take lots of them. A friend of mine plays Caledonians, and in order to get even a basic hacking device, he has to put it on a Spec-Ops, meaning he can only ever have one hacker in his list. Black Iron Heart plays Morats, and gets access to all of the nasty EI-only hacking programs. So we can all field hackers, it's just a matter of how effective those hackers are going to be on the field that's different.

Similarly, everybody has access to paramedics and/or doctors. But as Haqqislam, I have the best doctors in the game.

So yeah, pick the one with minis and fluff that appeal to you. But not Aleph. Only douchebags play Aleph. :cheeky:

Ilor fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If you want durable nomads, look into Geckos. Tough and affordable.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Thanks for all the info. I knew I was going to have to change my mindset coming from Warhams but I guess I'll need to change it more than I thought. Looks like I'll stick with Pan O for now though ninjas... and HaqqIslam guys look cool too... and Nomad hackers are a cool concept. gently caress all these minis look good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not gonna lie cramming this Sphinx into lists is harder than I thought. Good grief.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Thanks for all the info. I knew I was going to have to change my mindset coming from Warhams but I guess I'll need to change it more than I thought. Looks like I'll stick with Pan O for now though ninjas... and HaqqIslam guys look cool too... and Nomad hackers are a cool concept. gently caress all these minis look good.

For the price of a warhammer army, you don't really have to make a choice between a starter force for all of the armies you've mentioned.

I had my mispack resolved from my I:OS. Getting an Orc Trooper shipped to me - and now have two Akal Commandoes. It was pretty painless because of all the complaint codes.
For other newb 40K/GW refugees like myself - don't throw out the complaint codes until you're sure you have everything you're supposed to have. It saved me a lot of time and was super easy to get my replacement!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aEehtBofOM
360 spin view of the new MBs, they look so god drat good

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If these sculpts had been available when I started the game, I would be playing Corregidor.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I like the sculpts overall, but the hip/waist proportions and leg placement on the female MBs is just...odd. The female Janissary and Naffatun minis didn't have this problem.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So the plain Zonds are still poo poo and I don't want to buy them and CB get your rear end in gear and resculpt the worst drones ever and blah blah bitch bitch moan moan-

boom boom boom posted:

Does anybody have any ideas for what Warhammer miniature you could use this tank as a stand in for?
I'm not a hundred percent sure of the size, I think it's about an inch tall, maybe slightly shorter

...well hello there. :heysexy:

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Painted up more of my Pan-O dudes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpYDJ6jBBlA

Got a little burnt out painting doing this batch. Have a Squalo to finish still. Been playing more Infinity and getting my but kicked!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I should have spent today painting but I've chosen to spend it playing Infinity with a hangover.

Shasvastii are too fun, my group utterly hate double Shrouded mine layers. Although I think it's too important to take an FO one.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm hern out of Infinity so stuck my Haq collection on eBay if any uk goons are interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131619524941

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Played my CA for the first time on Friday night. My hidden deployment anathematic hacker had a FIELD day. We were playing antennas, and I deployed him right behind a huge building. My opponent decide to put a gecko, his interventor LT, and a couple other models behind it. I decided to ARO hack one turn, then went on a hack spree, melting his LTs noodle and posessing the tag over 2 turns. The posessed TAG then killed an intruder with HMG, a spektre minelayer, and a couple alguaciles.

Best part was he had to burn his last cmd token on his 2nd turn to un-posess his TAG, so on my turn 3 I took it over again...permanently. I felt bad, basically that hacker ruined his life and basically single handedly won me the game, taking the middle antenna with his last couple orders.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anathematic gonna Anathematic. That sounds pretty rad.

I had a similar sort of experience the first time I used my Charontid Hacker Lt, it just walked through the entire game solo vs Ariadna. Like literally, I think it killed everything and took the majority of my Objective Points. The only other casualties I inflicted other than him was my Ikadron Batroid going "ME TOO BOSS" and charging into 3 US Ariadna Grunts and setting them on fire. and failing to kill two, ARM3 is horseshit

E; also geckos are alarmingly bad after a few months of seeing them on the table

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 4, 2015

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I think Geckos exist to bully light infantry and to sit on corners in suppression fire and be a potential order black hole to dislodge.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Couple questions.

1. Your dude is in supressive fire on your opponents turn. They shoot him from 30 inches away. You pass on your ARO. Is he still in supressive fire, does he apply a -3mod to the shooter?
2. How TAGs are vulnerable to hacking. I'm new to both TAGs and hacking, so Is this basically correct?
a. They can immobilize you, you cant aro or move/shoot, can reset to break it.
b. They can possess you, they own you, you can break with a command token on your turn, or requires Engineer.
c. They can isolate you, you're totally screwed unless you have an Engineer.
3. The Aquila Guard loving rules?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Suppression fire applies a -3 to face to face rolls, if you decline to ARO their attack against you is a normal roll and not a Face to Face roll. They are still in suppression fire afterwards.

Hackers can do all of that, but cover applies, TAG BTS values are usually quite high, and the burst value on stuff like possession is low so it is often an unreliable crap shoot. Hacking seems to be at its most threatening from free AROs or area denial to avoid those free AROs.

Aquila Guard are good but are not cheap.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Cyclomatic posted:

Suppression fire applies a -3 to face to face rolls, if you decline to ARO their attack against you is a normal roll and not a Face to Face roll. They are still in suppression fire afterwards.

Hackers can do all of that, but cover applies, TAG BTS values are usually quite high, and the burst value on stuff like possession is low so it is often an unreliable crap shoot. Hacking seems to be at its most threatening from free AROs or area denial to avoid those free AROs.

Aquila Guard are good but are not cheap.

Thanks

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
Brief tournament report from friday: I ended up going with Qapu Kalqi for the 200 point tournament. Scenarios were biotechnivore, quadrant control and seize the antenna.

My main list was a "janissary" link team composed of an hmg jan. +3 FO Hafza and 1 spitfire lt. Hafza. I then threw in two ghulam doctors and two al-hawa hackers. I used this list in quadrants and seize. This list was immensely satisfying to play.

My second list was two link teams. Another Jan link(hmg jan, akbar Jan, 3 hafzas), then an odalisque link(2 odalisque, 1 hafza lt.).

Game 1( Biotechnivore ): Qapu Kalqi(list 2) vs Hassassin Bahrim

For this mission I used my double link list. The thought was I could get my entire army out of the plague zone with high order efficency.

I lost initiative and had him deploy first. After seeing where he deployed his ghulam link I tried to set my hmg up where I could hopefully force a firefight with his like still inside the plague zone. Hopefully forcing him to spend one too many orders fighting his way out and losing some cheerleaders from biotechnivore. He definitely knew my Jan link was a facade, because he immediately ran into my "trap" and started an hmg firefight with my Jan. He was completely caught off guard when I had an actual janissary. With some good rolls I was able to dismantle his link team in my reactive turn. Eventually he decided to cut his losses and just focused on his Fridays and lasiq. Amazingly no one died from plague.

On my turn I ran my link forward to a point where I knew I was out of the plague zone. His lasiq was waiting around the corner. I made a huge mistake underestimating the power of a viral combi, and misjudging my positive hmg range band. His lasiq tore me apart. With having blown all my orders running my link forward, the odalisques were left to die to plague. After that my opponent just played clean up trying to score as many points as possible.

Loss 0-7

Game 2 (seize the antenna): Qapu Kalqi(list 1) vs Shock Army of Antencimento

A lot happened in this game, with some absolutely crazy swings from insane crits. It all came down to my last turn, loss of lieutenant, using my command tokens to get 3 regular orders for my al-hawa. My al-hawa made a hail Mary run for the middle antenna managing to kill 2 order sergeants while taking a long range rifle hit (making the arm roll, failing guts and moving 2" into total cover). I ended up getting into base contact with my last order and barely making the hacking roll with a 16.

Win 7-3

Game 3 (quadrant control) : Qapu Kalqi(list 1) vs Bakunin

This game wasn't very interesting and was a complete stomp for me. I retained 200 vps and scored 10 points. My opponent was an n2 veteran who hadn't played in a long time. This was his first time playing n3 and I think he sorta forgot about how a lot of basic rules work because he kept making weird tactical decisions like fighting my (its cover) hmg jan with a neurosynetics hmg.

Win 10-0

I love this game. Our local group is filled with a really great group of people. All really nice and kind. Everyone is playing to win, but no one is ever not smiling or enjoying themselves.

I think the al-hawa is my new favorite unit with hafzas a close second.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

You can't put hafza in haris links. Only the link granted for being a sectorial.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Welp rip bank, bought a TAG, two boxes of CA REMs and a score of blisters for my armies. Even with the discount I get that still stung. :rip:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There is only one relevant question in a situation like this.

Which TAG?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The sneaky beaky Shasvastii Sphinx, only cost me £16(?) in the end so that was pretty reasonable. It's been cracking so far when I've proxied it.

I'll add it to the TAG locker with all my PanO and Nomad TAGs.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Whats a good core 300 points of vanilla aleph (including the starter box) that will handle branching out well?

any reason to get the Marut starting out? TAG TAG TAG

e: gently caress it got the tag

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 6, 2015

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

w00tmonger posted:

any reason to get the Marut starting out? TAG TAG TAG

I see you have a severe TAG fever. Here's your prescription for 1-3 TAGs.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

WELP! Looks like a single marut + starter is around 300 points.

You'll probably want to swap the expensive Asura out for cheaper guys, if you're using the Marut.
The Game really favours teams with 10 or more orders.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I'm thinking netrods etc to flesh out some orders? Obviously the asura will probably be the first thing to go with the marut

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Get a support pack to go with your Marut. You'll want a good engineer to repair your precious billion-point TAG after someone puts a missile into it, and the support pack comes with Netrods.

Oh, and something for actual infantry. A box of Myrmidons for smoke hijinks wouldn't hurt.

One terrible idea, coming right up:

Aleph
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 10 0 0
MARUT Lieutenant (Strategos L3) MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower, Nanopulser / AP CCW. (3 | 120)
DASYU (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (36)
DASYU (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (36)
SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (31)
YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (16)
NETROD Electric Pulse. (4)

3 SWC | 298 Points

Open with Army 5

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 6, 2015

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also apparently a podcast got info from the devs that Umbra will link with batroids in Onyx.

I... don't think this changes my opinion very much, but at least it's a gimmick.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Hopefully that comes in the context of a rules change allowing models to take a long skill without breaking their link. (edit: because seriously: cybermask). edit: also, hopefully link teams and close combat will hopefully not be so pants on the head stupid after HSN3.

Although I do like more sectorials being allowed mix and match linking in general. Bakunin links might be more appealing if you could mix all the reverend models into a single link.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Corbeau posted:

Get a support pack to go with your Marut. You'll want a good engineer to repair your precious billion-point TAG after someone puts a missile into it, and the support pack comes with Netrods.

Oh, and something for actual infantry. A box of Myrmidons for smoke hijinks wouldn't hurt.

One terrible idea, coming right up:

Aleph
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 10 0 0
MARUT Lieutenant (Strategos L3) MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower, Nanopulser / AP CCW. (3 | 120)
SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (31)
YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)

3 SWC | 298 Points

Open with Army 5

This is almost exactly what I bought.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Almost done painting my Squalo, putting a lot of work into this guy and trying to stretch my skill a bit. Hope to have him done in the next few days and use him in the 250pt Escalation game.

Anyone want to help me with a 250 Vanilla PanO annihilation list?

This is what I have painted so far:
7 fusileers with the swc options
4 Auxilia + Auxbots
Nisse
Akali
Father Knight
Hosptial Knight
Aquila Guard
Swiss Guard
Squalo

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
MiniatureMarket has USAriadna box for 55$ for their daily sale.

I bought IceStorm during one of their flash sales, but haven't been able to convince anyone to play. I'm so close to setting up on my kitchen table and playing against myself. :negative:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Corbeau posted:

Also apparently a podcast got info from the devs that Umbra will link with batroids in Onyx.

I... don't think this changes my opinion very much, but at least it's a gimmick.

Umbra hacker with tinbot :getin:

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

flamingweedle posted:

MiniatureMarket has USAriadna box for 55$ for their daily sale.

I bought IceStorm during one of their flash sales, but haven't been able to convince anyone to play. I'm so close to setting up on my kitchen table and playing against myself. :negative:

Welp, looks like USAriadna it is. :negative:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Yeah this sounds gimmicky as gently caress.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Quickstart rules for the RPG is out at drivethrurpg.com. Includes rules and adventure guide.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/159673/INFINITY-RPG-FREE-Quickstart

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

flamingweedle posted:

I'm so close to setting up on my kitchen table and playing against myself. :negative:
Is there a FLGS close to you? Do they have tables for gaming or playing cards? Here's what you do - pack up your paints and junk and head to the local game store. Paint your minis there. When people see them, they'll go, "drat, these minis are rad! What game are these for?" Explain, and offer to do a quick demo (3 figs each, all line infantry, 15 minutes or so). Boom, now you have people to play against, because once you experience the joy of blasting some other dude's minis in ARO on his turn, it gets into your blood.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010

Ilor posted:

Is there a FLGS close to you? Do they have tables for gaming or playing cards? Here's what you do - pack up your paints and junk and head to the local game store. Paint your minis there. When people see them, they'll go, "drat, these minis are rad! What game are these for?" Explain, and offer to do a quick demo (3 figs each, all line infantry, 15 minutes or so). Boom, now you have people to play against, because once you experience the joy of blasting some other dude's minis in ARO on his turn, it gets into your blood.

There's one about an hour away (I have no car/license at the moment). They're shifting away from miniatures though. I play Malifaux with some dudes there, but infinity never caught on. Every store here is focused on Magic. It doesn't help that my gaming buddies have mostly moved away or are getting married/starting new jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Bummer. :smith:

• Locked thread