Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zeroisanumber posted:

Gotta nuke something.

A weapon unused is a useless weapon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Posting "Hope for paws" videos feels like cheating, but... yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nawb_yx8CYw

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Alter Ego posted:

I cannot stop loving laughing at this, thank you. It has, no lie, made my lovely day better.

It's like someone fired him out of an owl cannon and that picture was taken as he went whizzing resignedly past.

This is indeed awesome. But I imagine him having just been thrown by a quarterback.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Nordick posted:

No problem, glad to hear that :)

The Finnish article about it called it a "torpedo owl" (torpedowl!) but I think I like Dick Trauma's "owlitzer" better.

Moving on, meet Pumpkin the Orphaned Rescue Raccoon: http://pulptastic.com/racoon-identity-crisis/

Seriously, look at that adorable furball! :kimchi: The picture where she's hanging from the kitchen counter freaking killed me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

pookel posted:

This is indeed awesome. But I imagine him having just been thrown by a quarterback.

Perfect spirowl!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I lost my best friend yesterday. Coco (formerly named Chanel) was 13. We got her a few weeks before I started high school, and she moved in with me full time when I was 20. We got her from a drug addict who had her living in the back of a hummer (not kidding).

She once ate a whole pizza she stole at a party on my bed.

She ate six steaks left on a low counter in less than five minutes.

I had to pick her up at the animal shelter once per year when she went on walkabout, and she was always sorry-not-sorry about it.

She let a two year old windex her entire left side while silently pleading for help with no attempts to struggle.

She was the best kind of companion animal, who would seek you out when you were sad and shove her face under your arm, wiggle upward, and end up "hugging" you.

She hated toys and tennis balls and preferred only brand new, unspoiled white socks.

The goodest girl, the bestest pibble.

Please post all the stupid happy pitbulls.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Not a pibble but here's my shmups on a car ride. The first 10 minutes he happily whines, the middle hour he sleeps, the final 10 minutes he spins around in the back looking out all the windows and whining.

Coco was adorable! Love them brindles :)

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I think I posted this before, but here is Daisy from last Christmas, right after we got her from the local Humane Society.

Here's what she looks like now

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Funzo posted:

I think I posted this before, but here is Daisy from last Christmas, right after we got her from the local Humane Society.

Here's what she looks like now

She has a great blotchy nose :3:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
So handsome! So splotchy! :kimchi:

I am having a hard time coming to terms with losing Coco. Can anyone speak to what caused them to get a new pet after losing an old friend? I can't imagine replacing her, but the house is so empty. Or just joyful stories about bringing home new aminals :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mocking Bird posted:

I am having a hard time coming to terms with losing Coco. Can anyone speak to what caused them to get a new pet after losing an old friend? I can't imagine replacing her, but the house is so empty. Or just joyful stories about bringing home new aminals :3:
This is something that always sounds so silly when I recount it, but here goes. When I lost my last parrot really suddenly, after the intense part of the grief (the crying every day part) had passed, I realized how lonely I was. But I felt guilty. I didn't want to replace Eriza, and it seemed too fast. Then one night I had a dream that was one of those dreams where it's just REALLY vivid, and you wake up and have a moment where you're not sure if it's real or not. I hadn't taken her cage down yet and it was right across from my bed in the studio apartment. So in my dream, I woke up and looked over and she was in it :unsmith: Just sitting on her favorite perch and looking at me in the content way that cockatiels can, like everything's cool. And in the dream I felt this just, huge wave of "it's gonna be okay." I didn't think it was like, a visit from her ghost or anything, that's not quite something I believe in, but it did make me realize that I loved her and in her cockatiel way she loved me, and no one wants someone they love to feel alone and unhappy. That realization was the biggest part of it for me. How a person comes to it is, I imagine, pretty personal.

So you'll get there in your own time. Don't be pressured by what you think others will think about some arbitrary "proper mourning time." It's okay to miss a friend but make another friend.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Tendai posted:

She has a great blotchy nose :3:

She used to have that little spot right in the middle of her nose, but as she got bigger it migrated up to the top. She still has little white toes though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mocking Bird posted:

For what it's worth, I'd say you're thinking about it the wrong way. You're not replacing Coco, you're providing another animal the opportunity to have a friend like she had.

To put it another way, love is not a finite resource or a zero sum game.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I've only had pets that were solely mine (as opposed to family pets from childhood) for a few years and thankfully I haven't had to deal with the loss of one yet, but when my sister's cats died, she and her husband went out almost right away to get a new pair. They had all the supplies still for them, room for them, and a lifestyle to accommodate. They were sad, but they also knew in their area the shelter was full of sad animals who would love a spot in their home. To them it would have felt worse to have all their cats' things in their home and not allow a needy animal to enjoy it.

Anyway, now they have 5.

Si

Mal

Edith

Haymitch

Eames

(the room looks rough b/c it was right before their new floors were installed)

So perhaps the moral of the story is not to go to pet shopping at a kill shelter while you're still grieving. Or do, if your house is big enough.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FutonForensic posted:

What do the following three images have in common?

They're all from the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone :tinfoil:
What's hosed up though is that's a cat/kittens, a pigeon, and some beavers.

I've been volunteering weekly at the local aviary since June. I got "promoted" (did enough dishes to make it to the next level of volunteer) and now get to do diets. So I've been making supper for and feeding birbs the past few weeks. Owls. I get to feed owls. Who either look permanently startled or pissed off. And eagles. For being such big drat birds bald eagles have the squeakiest voices. Hopefully I'll get to take some pictures soon.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

For being such big drat birds bald eagles have the squeakiest voices. Hopefully I'll get to take some pictures soon.
Bald eagles are everywhere where I grew up (like seagulls almost, in the summer) and you quickly learn that despite what the US quarter might tell you, they are not majestic birds :3:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Tendai posted:

Bald eagles are everywhere where I grew up (like seagulls almost, in the summer) and you quickly learn that despite what the US quarter might tell you, they are not majestic birds :3:

Turkeys are much more majestic

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aren't turkeys the ones that will like break their necks attacking their own reflection in a car door or something? :crossarms:

Besides, tiny parrots are where it's at and I will prove that with a relevant image:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mocking Bird posted:

Its never about replacing them, its about giving another animal a chance to live a happy life with you.

Don't feel pressured into getting another one but if you find in your heart that you will want another dog in your life then give it some thought in the future.

I'm a very spiritual person so I do believe that in the afterlife, the rainbow road and I do believe in their own way, those animals I've lost are watching over my current ones, sometimes I don't even go looking for another pet when I've lost one, they find me, like when I lost my beloved Rocky, I loved Rocky dearly, he was my therapy cat and to lose him to cancer utterly destroyed me in ways I cannot describe, I still have trouble with his passing, anyway, 9 months later my brother calls me, tells me his friend rescued this gorgeous little tortie from her roof but he needs to leave on wednesday, so he tells me if I can foster it for a bit, I agree to it, within hours everyone here had fallen in love with her, mom left to do some stuff and came back with a collar and a name plate with her name and my phone number on it and Luna is such a blessing here, she's the friendliest cat I've ever owned.

Call me a sad sack but I like to believe it was Rocky in his own way putting Luna(the tortie) in my path because he saw how much I was hurting.

Hell my older brother has his current cat Domino purely by chance, he came home one day in the pouring rain and was unloading some stuff when this soaking wet kitten runs up to him and starts meowing at him, he takes into his apartment, cleans it up and now Domino is another part of him, she even seems to have his calm personality its pretty amazing when I see stuff like that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Tendai posted:

Aren't turkeys the ones that will like break their necks attacking their own reflection in a car door or something? :crossarms:

Besides, tiny parrots are where it's at and I will prove that with a relevant image:

Wild turkeys are pretty smart. Domestic ones are dumb as gently caress. The ones they farm for your Thanksgiving turkey are basically walking meat, and only 2 IQ points higher alive than when you stick them in the oven.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Alteisen posted:

Call me a sad sack but I like to believe it was Rocky in his own way putting Luna(the tortie) in my path because he saw how much I was hurting.

My sister and brother in law I mentioned above, lost both their cats to different diseases in a fairly short span of time. One, Hobbes, had been my brother-in-law Joe's buddy, playing around with him and roughhousing. It was Hobbes who made Joe decide cats were cool. When they went to get their new pets after Hobbes passed away, he went for another young yellow guy to play around with (Eames). Sure enough, Eames was super playful and energetic, and didn't mind Joe picking on him. But, unlike Hobbes, when playtime was over, Eames would wander into the other room and amuse himself, whereas Hobbes used to hop up onto Joe's lap and chill with him, which he loved.

One day, after trying to get Eames to settle down with him and failing, Joe looked at my sister and said, "I miss Hobbes."

At this, Eames came back and laid down on Joe's lap. I don't necessarily think animals can understand us when we speak, but I do believe pets know when they've been rescued and can recognize when we're sad, and want to be good to us and make us happy.

Anyway, cute content:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
My dad once called a mean old mommy cat we adopted off the street "the ugliest cat he'd ever seen."

She got up right away and smacked him in the back of his head with her paw. :smug:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Mocking Bird posted:

I moved into a new apartment that had the best dog and instantly fell in love with her. I was only there for another 8 months before she passed away. The hardest part was coming home everyday and not seeing her look up from the couch when I opened the door, or having to stop myself from whistling for her when I came home. That poo poo went on for 6 loving months. We all kind of stayed away from the house for a little bit after she passed, we felt like the house was just missing something.
As for adopting a new animal, be careful. Don't look for the same dog. After our dog passed, everytime I would interact with another dog I would try to treat it like it was the old dog, it never was.
It's been about 8 months now and we're about to move to a different house and adopt a new one and I'm so excited to have another dog in my life.
It gets easier as time goes on.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
"Come with me if you want to live."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tendai posted:

I don't know what you mean eagles are magnificent and dignified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9sc0EmrJU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEJ9E5D908

Big Cat Bloopers.

:3: So many boopable noses.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Wild turkeys are pretty smart. Domestic ones are dumb as gently caress. The ones they farm for your Thanksgiving turkey are basically walking meat, and only 2 IQ points higher alive than when you stick them in the oven.
Wild turkeys are also dumb as gently caress. They literally sit down in the middle of traffic all over Boston.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Ben Franklin disagrees with all of you

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
They were probably smarter is his day, back when dudes were out hunting them with blunderbusses and whatnot

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

What do the following three images have in common?

They're all from the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone :tinfoil:

Penguins, being smaller than humans, are too light to set off all the landmines around the Falklands, and so are thriving where humans cannot go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

I love that pause right after the landing, and I swear you can hear the eagle thinking "...gently caress."

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

There was a small family of turkeys that would wander my college campus. They were observed, several times, to make use of the crosswalks and wait to cross if there was a pedestrian signal. It was weird having little dinosaurs follow you and peck at your backpack.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love that pause right after the landing, and I swear you can hear the eagle thinking "...gently caress."

Look, its been one of those days for the eagle. Then you gently caress up a landing and, you know, sometimes you just have to lay there for a couple of seconds before you pick yourself back up.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Saw this in the Schadenfreude thread and thought it'd be a great fit here as well.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot that gif existed and seeing it again was just great

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Juvenile raptors are doofuses. Here's a young White-tailed Kite from my neighborhood face-planting into a vole that its mother was trying to hand off:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Steven CatFingers posted:

There was a small family of turkeys that would wander my college campus. They were observed, several times, to make use of the crosswalks and wait to cross if there was a pedestrian signal. It was weird having little dinosaurs follow you and peck at your backpack.

Wow.

I assume we all know the stories of the Ravens that drop nuts on crosswalks for trucks to run over and crack and then wait for the walk signals to go pick them up.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Moon Potato posted:

Juvenile raptors are doofuses. Here's a young White-tailed Kite from my neighborhood face-planting into a vole that its mother was trying to hand off:

it must be really frustrating to be a bird of prey that doesn't have its poo poo together

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

HEY GAL posted:

it must be really frustrating to be a bird of prey that doesn't have its poo poo together

Imagine how his mother feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A group of divers encountered a pair of Carribean reef squids that wanted to hang out with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WJBA8qBKY

• Locked thread