Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Klaus88 posted:

I hate that loving "French surrender" meme, it is the worst loving meme.
I thought that was half the joke. Mock the former world power by poking them where it hurts. They've never been made to feel entrenched shame for their atrocities like the Germans have, so if you tried the "you murdered people up and down Europe, Africa, and pretty much everywhere else, had racial polices that made South Africa look progressive, and would have totally done the Final Solution if Germany hadn't thought of it first" you'd just get a :feelsgood: response like with the British. Therefore you change to attacking from the complete opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

DrProsek posted:

:confused: yes, I know that, I wasn't implying otherwise. I was acknowledging that France did contribute some forces to the invasion of Germany, but that for reasons mentioned they couldn't contribute much compared to the US and UK much less the USSR and so the invasion of Germany didn't really involve France in the same way the resistance and liberation of France did.

Its the internet, even if SA is slightly less terrible then most places, you should probably state the obvious just to be safe.

Guavanaut posted:

I thought that was half the joke. Mock the former world power by poking them where it hurts. They've never been made to feel entrenched shame for their atrocities like the Germans have, so if you tried the "you murdered people up and down Europe, Africa, and pretty much everywhere else, had racial polices that made South Africa look progressive, and would have totally done the Final Solution if Germany hadn't thought of it first" you'd just get a :feelsgood: response like with the British. Therefore you change to attacking from the complete opposite direction.

Good point.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I think the funniest part of "French Cowards :smug:" is how they lionize Martel at the Battle of Tours and the Christians defeating the :byodood:Moslem Hordes!!!:byodood:.

Disingenuous fuckers.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Thump! posted:

I think the funniest part of "French Cowards :smug:" is how they lionize Martel at the Battle of Tours and the Christians defeating the :byodood:Moslem Hordes!!!:byodood:.

Disingenuous fuckers.

Uh those were Germanics, not Frenchmen TYVM.,

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
They removed the ten commandments monument from the Oklahoma capitol last night, should be good for another round of freeper tears at some point today.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Klaus88 posted:

France has, historically, been the terror of Europe for far longer, and way more successfully then anything Ze Germans have ever managed.

But enough about bad food.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bait and Swatch posted:

They removed the ten commandments monument from the Oklahoma capitol last night, should be good for another round of freeper tears at some point today.

Quick! To the Lazmobile!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

OAquinas posted:

Quick! To the Lazmobile!

Workers remove Ten Commandments monument from Oklahoma Capitol grounds

quote:

To: WhiskeyX

A contractor hired by the state began removing the monument shortly after 10:30 p.m. local time

Cowards. Ordered the removal take place in the dark of night.

2 posted on 10/6/2015, 6:49:34 AM by Texas Eagle (If it wasn't for double-standards, Liberals would have no standards at all -- Texas Eagle)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

ONly Islam and Sharia will be supported by
the Black Robes and the White Mosque.

3 posted on 10/6/2015, 6:49:46 AM by Diogenesis ("When a crime is unpunished, the world is unbalanced.")

quote:

Bunch of anti-Semites.

4 posted on 10/6/2015, 6:50:07 AM by Texas Eagle (If it wasn't for double-standards, Liberals would have no standards at all -- Texas Eagle)

quote:

Just keep it up. G_d will not be mocked. There will be a day of reckoning.

5 posted on 10/6/2015, 6:52:54 AM by SkyDancer ("Nobody Said I Was Perfect But Yet Here I Am")

quote:

This is not what the Founding Fathers meant when they wrote the First Amendment. This came from the empty skulls of homosexuals in black robes.

6 posted on 10/6/2015, 6:54:11 AM by FlingWingFlyer (Normal people don't vote Democrat.)

quote:

Christian persecution continues at full speed.

9 posted on 10/6/2015, 7:00:38 AM by armydawg505

loving Papists! :argh:

quote:

The Pope/Vatican supports this move.

Yes they do, they support all the anti Christian rulings in the United states over the years.

How do I know this? Because they dont tell their members that they must support Christian principals or be excommunicated.

13 posted on 10/6/2015, 7:09:26 AM by Chauncey Uppercrust (TRUMP/CRUZ 2016 OR BUST)

May America burn in Hell!

quote:

There is nothing left to save here. Just forget it. The country has completely, and totally forsaken God. All that’s left for us is to enjoy the view. No one will stand up, no one will yell, and the tyrants (who are the minority) will have their way. The monument is being moved in front of a conservative think tank as a reminder that they, and all of conservatism, are complete failures.

Oklahoma is the “reddest state in the country” and couldn’t muster the guts to stop a mindless worker with a hammer, a screwdriver, and his butt crack showing from taking down the last visible remnant of a decent society. GD America: that’s in the bible.

20 posted on 10/6/2015, 7:23:31 AM by demshateGod (The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.)

quote:

To: DungeonMaster

America is a nation by the people. God’s vengeance will partially fall on us because we could have stopped it, but didn’t even tray.

21 posted on 10/6/2015, 7:25:09 AM by demshateGod (The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

What a prophetically foolish thing to do, but that's who we are in these days.

In Russia, Putin rebuilds Russian churches.

In Amerika, Oklahoma removes the 10 Commandments from the grounds of the Oklahoma Capitol per court order.

Such a reversal of realities would have been an impossible thought to hold on to only a few decades ago or less.

One has chosen wisely. One has chosen foolishly.
Imagine what tomorrow's realities have in store for US and them.

23 posted on 10/6/2015, 7:30:42 AM by GBA (Just a hick in paradise)

quote:

For some strange reason, kinda reminds me of ISIS and Taliban destroying muslim artifacts.

26 posted on 10/6/2015, 7:44:25 AM by C210N (When people fear government there is tyranny; when government fears people there is liberty)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ITT Freep hopes for strong Russian Putin to rescue them from Obama's American ISIS (again)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
FReep longs for an American Francisco Franco or Augusto Pinochet. It's part of the reason that they lap up whatever Donald Trump vomits out in interviews.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Remember, folks, these people unironically want to live in a Christian version of ISIS.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
It's fantastic that Texas Eagle quotes himself in his tagline, just to really drive home that he's a thought leader that everyone should listen to.

Also, I want them to propose a utopian community to move to, but in Russia

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
It's like when the epigraph of a story is a quote from the same drat story - it's just so insufferably smug. Even The Wire barely pulled it off.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Rivensteel posted:

It's fantastic that Texas Eagle quotes himself in his tagline, just to really drive home that he's a thought leader that everyone should listen to.

I just noticed that too. What a self-important turd.

Also I unironically got a rush of pure distilled schadenfreude reading that first post from demshateGod. My favorite Freeper posts are the ones where they openly declare that they're giving up.

The tears haven't been this pure and delicious since the marriage equality ruling.:cheers:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

Disingenuous fuckers.

They don't make them like they used to, the french went full marxist after the revolution.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Another interesting poll imo

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 6, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Man, the Soviets just get no respect.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Odd that they didn't ask Poland.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

quote:

There is nothing left to save here. Just forget it. The country has completely, and totally forsaken God. All that’s left for us is to enjoy the view. No one will stand up, no one will yell, and the tyrants (who are the minority) will have their way. The monument is being moved in front of a conservative think tank as a reminder that they, and all of conservatism, are complete failures.

Oklahoma is the “reddest state in the country” and couldn’t muster the guts to stop a mindless worker with a hammer, a screwdriver, and his butt crack showing from taking down the last visible remnant of a decent society. GD America: that’s in the bible.

20 posted on 10/6/2015, 7:23:31 AM by demshateGod (The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.)

:monocle: a good opinion.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fathis Munk posted:

Another interesting poll imo

(phone posting, I'll rehost the image as soon as I get home!)

UK, you are my favorite. Never stop being English As gently caress. :allears:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Keeshhound posted:

Man, the Soviets just get no respect.

And c'mon Britain let's be a little realistic.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Pontius Pilate posted:

And c'mon Britain let's be a little realistic.

Perhaps they are relying on an argument that centers on the point that without their land there would not have been the threat of an invasion from the west, allowing Germany to focus their full resources on the east and driving the USSR into surrender.

Or they're just England, which is the more likely reason.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Bait and Swatch posted:

Perhaps they are relying on an argument that centers on the point that without their land there would not have been the threat of an invasion from the west, allowing Germany to focus their full resources on the east and driving the USSR into surrender.

I figured it was probably a "we were the only ones in the good fight after France fell until Barbarossa and bridged the gap" but yeah probably just England.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Whiz Palace posted:

It's like when the epigraph of a story is a quote from the same drat story - it's just so insufferably smug. Even The Wire barely pulled it off.

It's not even something he thought up. It's been said about various people for a whike, though I can't find a primary source or anything. I've definitely heard it as far back as the Clinton era.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DemeaninDemon posted:

Honestly I'd imagine Poland would also probably say America, followed by Britain. Opinions on Russia and the USSR are so low I'd imagine a huge number of Poles would want to give credit to anyone but Russia. The USSR vote would probably still be larger than in the other nations, but still probably not the winner.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cosmo Calls the Kardashians the First Family

Hrm.

quote:

First Family whose daughter has sex tape pics all over the Internet.

Barack Obama, 1st POTUS to have naked pics of his mother all over the Internet.

How times have changed.
12 posted on 10/6/2015, 9:09:54 AM by TexasCajun (#BlackViolenceMatters)

Jesus

quote:

If it weren’t for depilatory, laser, fat-suck, plastic surgery, and every known method of cosmetic enhancement, those girls would be fat hairy wookies on the Jersey or Muscle Beach Shore.

That family is the epitome of promotion of the nothing into the false excellence of vacuous excess. America should be ashamed it is even concerned about them.

25 posted on 10/6/2015, 9:16:41 AM by Gaffer

Oddly not much hate on Michelle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

I figured it was probably a "we were the only ones in the good fight after France fell until Barbarossa and bridged the gap" but yeah probably just England.

Well the question is rather ambiguous. The blitz caused a lot of damage, but was well defended against. An invasion of France would have been impossible if Britain fell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DemeaninDemon posted:

Two middle fingers and a statement on how literally everyone betrayed them up to the 90s.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rivensteel posted:

Also, I want them to propose a utopian community to move to, but in Russia

I get a kick out of it. He probably thinks he's so clever, witty, and original. It's not like he's the first person that ever thought up that line.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

hobbesmaster posted:

Well the question is rather ambiguous. The blitz caused a lot of damage, but was well defended against. An invasion of France would have been impossible if Britain fell.

From across the channel, sure. There's still a fuckton of land all over from Africa up. Let's not foget the Allies were punching their way up through Italy and into the swath too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

From across the channel, sure. There's still a fuckton of land all over from Africa up. Let's not foget the Allies were punching their way up through Italy and into the swath too

Yes but that was a third front for the axis in Europe at the time, not the first one.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

hobbesmaster posted:

It would've been much more difficult but something like this might have been possible: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon We're getting into gay black hitler territory of course but I just wanted to give a shout out to operation dragoon. Poor invasion is completely overshadowed by overlord.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

SocketWrench posted:

The logistics involved in Overlord were astounding and would have been virtually impossible to duplicate with the southern invasion. Not to mention the resources allocated to the expected western front and the effort to counter trans-atlantic shipping by the Germans. Hell, the US would likely have focused on Japan over Germany had England not been in the war, leaving Russia doomed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bait and Swatch posted:

The logistics involved in Overlord were astounding and would have been virtually impossible to duplicate with the southern invasion. Not to mention the resources allocated to the expected western front and the effort to counter trans-atlantic shipping by the Germans. Hell, the US would likely have focused on Japan over Germany had England not been in the war, leaving Russia doomed.

The USSR wasn't actively losing by the time LL got going. It's not like WWI, the Soviet Union was perfectly capable fighting. I'd say worst case is they hold on long enough for the US to start nuking Germany.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bait and Swatch posted:

It also depends whether you're counting all of the other countries that were only roped into it because of Britain. Canada would have probably joined when the US did anyway, but South Africa, India, Australia, the Arab protectorates, the West Indies, etc. made significant contributions, not always 100% willingly.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I personally find the entire argument silly because I don't think Germany had the resources to overcome any of the Big 3 allies. The USSR and US both definitely had the population, resources, and will to pound Germany into dust, even if it would have taken much longer individually. The UK would have been a closer match, but I feel as if it would have drawn to a stalemate with both unable to cross the channel. Germany could have won that war if they were willing to get into some kind of long term forever war with the UK with some magical lack of intervention, but that would have taken however long it would take for France to accept being part of the new German Reich.(Assuming they didn't revolt at some point.)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bait and Swatch posted:

The USSR, post-1941, was in no sense doomed, and knowing what I do about Barbarossa, I'd say that even with the assets otherwise allocated to defending the channel and elsewhere, it's unlikely the Soviets would have gone under absent continuing British resistance prior to that. Not that we're not well into counterfactual-as-balls territory.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

xthetenth posted:

The USSR wasn't actively losing by the time LL got going. It's not like WWI, the Soviet Union was perfectly capable fighting. I'd say worst case is they hold on long enough for the US to start nuking Germany.

It probably would have taken them a bit longer, but that's about it.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DemeaninDemon posted:

Well, it does say "another coutnry" so...

quote:

Just keep it up. G_d will not be mocked. There will be a day of reckoning.
5 posted on 10/6/2015, 6:52:54 AM by SkyDancer ("Nobody Said I Was Perfect But Yet Here I Am")
I loving LOVE how badly this person hosed up that saying about being perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

A Freeper with no sense of irony posted:

There a lot of funny things in this post, but this is the best part for me. Why? Well, here's a Freeper whining about the Ten Commandments being taken down while violating one of them.

The Actual Ten Commandments posted:

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

I mean, Freepers violate those all the time anyway, but it's still beautiful.

• Locked thread