Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So I took a some business portraits for the first time recently, and I ended up working in a cramped space that didn't have a great background, so I've tried them blow it out in photoshop and lightroom. This is an example of a result of that effort:

Does this look bad to any of you guys? I feel like there's something off about it to me and was hoping some more experienced Photoshop users could help me out with it.

EDIT: Here are the finished photos. Do you guys think these look ok? I'm not sure and I don't have a trained eye for these things exactly.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was watching a talk recently, and even though the guy said this was a technique he used for fashion modelling I could see it working well in your last picture. He would photoshop the edge of the suit to take out the ruffles to make the line of the jacket completely smooth. Left them in on anything that wasn't the edge. Seeing the before and after, I could see why he did it. I thought it looked better anyway.

jeromas
Aug 30, 2007

All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'.
College Slice

hi liter posted:

So I took a some business portraits for the first time recently, and I ended up working in a cramped space that didn't have a great background, so I've tried them blow it out in photoshop and lightroom. This is an example of a result of that effort:

Does this look bad to any of you guys? I feel like there's something off about it to me and was hoping some more experienced Photoshop users could help me out with it.

EDIT: Here are the finished photos. Do you guys think these look ok? I'm not sure and I don't have a trained eye for these things exactly.

You've got some hot spots on the face in your photos - you can fix that in the future by using more diffused light sources, even if the light source is the flash on your camera. That should also help with getting rid of the shadows on the backdrop, though when you have more room, move the subject further away from the wall to help with this as well. The eyes are a little out of focus, and don't show a lot of character due to them being so dark. It's a pretty easy fix in post, but even easier if you don't have to do it at all. When shooting portraits, you'll typically want the closest eye to you in the sharpest focus versus any other part of the body (obviously there are exceptions). The focus point becomes especially important when your shot has very shallow depth of field, which many portraits will.

And for me it's just a preference when doing business portraits, but I like to use a high-keylight effect on the face to prevent shadows and high contrast. If that was the look you're going for though, more power to you. The contrast and shadows will add more of a dramatic look to your portrait, but based on the gentleman's smile, I don't think that's what you were going for. Keep shooting!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It's really throwing me off that the catchlight is so much brighter in one eye. I guess because that eye opens more than the other?

The backdrop isn't a clean white in the blue shirt shot, when I look at the full rez version I can see yellow patches. Unless it's my eyes playing tricks on me, anyway.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

triplexpac posted:

It's really throwing me off that the catchlight is so much brighter in one eye. I guess because that eye opens more than the other?

The backdrop isn't a clean white in the blue shirt shot, when I look at the full rez version I can see yellow patches. Unless it's my eyes playing tricks on me, anyway.

nah there's definitely yellow and brownish spots in there, i see them too

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get cracking on those things.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

There might also be a little bit too much green + yellow in the shadows on his skin? This monitor I'm posting from isn't calibrated so

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I went to the Grand Canyon back in the beginning of March and walked Rim Trail at about 1:00 AM about two days after the full moon, and took these photos. (I highly recommend seeing the canyon lit by the full moon if possible, it was completely visible and otherworldly). I've been halfassedly working on these photos for over a month. The camera captured the scene completely differently than how my eyes perceived it, and I am not sure what direction I should take the post. Right now though, I am not happy with what I uploaded. I only can do so much about the crap noise (seven year old Canon crop sensor :laffo:). I don't want to bump the exposure or contrast so much that it looks like daytime, because it wasn't like that all. I don't think I can make them look like how I saw it, in a palette of blues, violets, silvers and grays, but I don't feel like what I've done does these photos justice. I have the Photoshop/Lightroom CC combo, and these are all RAWs. Any suggestions?

Moon canyon by Elanna, on Flickr

Moonflare by Elanna, on Flickr

Moon canyon by Elanna, on Flickr

I promise I am otherwise beyond dutch angles, I was trying to take a vertical shot but I don't have full mobility on my tripod's ballhead.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm not sure if this is a post-processing question per se, but I just got Photoshop CC and thus have to rejigger everything, but is there a reason why the "Export As" function that Photoshop keeps pushing me isn't color managed? Thank goodness that Save For Web is still there, but am I missing something or is there no way to use Export As to create files with the same colors as I see in Photoshop?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I heard Fuji cameras are tough to process in Lightroom. Is this true? Any tips? I have a X-E1 for reference.

Am i better off sticking to jpegs?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Skizzzer posted:

I heard Fuji cameras are tough to process in Lightroom. Is this true? Any tips? I have a X-E1 for reference.

Am i better off sticking to jpegs?

The most recent revision of Photoshop and Lightroom CC have gotten much better. Still not -perfect-, but improved and improving. Fuji JPEGS are fantastic, but I've never felt sorry for myself for editing Fuji raw in lightroom.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Don't suppose anyone has any tips for whitening extremely yellow/dark teeth? I don't feel comfortable posting photos (boy in his early teens, wants to get them crowned but he's been told he has to wait until he is 18 :( ) but to give you an idea he suffers from a condition called amelogenesis imperfecta which effects the enamel on your teeth.

I can sort out the pitting no problem but I'm finding my usual technique for whitening isn't working. I'll usually bring up the exposure and desaturate a bit in Lightroom (maybe cool the colour temp if the model is a smoker etc to get rid of the yellows a bit more) but in this case I just can't seem to get them looking natural. Any help would be appreciated.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I pretty much so what you said to any photos of myself I have to process in LR. It's useful if I'm photographed next to someone with good teeth as I can use them as a guide, and usually process them a little bit too just to help match.

British stereotypes exist for a reason. Growing up my face literally looked like 'The Big Book of British Dentistry' from The Simpsons with a tooth growing from a place it really shouldn't have.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I pretty much so what you said to any photos of myself I have to process in LR. It's useful if I'm photographed next to someone with good teeth as I can use them as a guide, and usually process them a little bit too just to help match.

British stereotypes exist for a reason. Growing up my face literally looked like 'The Big Book of British Dentistry' from The Simpsons with a tooth growing from a place it really shouldn't have.

Same, I have a from tooth that's crowned and there's a slight miss match with the colour so I process any pic where my teeth are showing (and make all my friends send me any pics they take of me before posting them online). I do feel for this kid though and I'd like him to have at least one photo he can post on his FB where he's smiling. I got a few of him and his brother but his brother isn't showing his teeth so I can't use him to colour match. The problem I'm having is that if I desaturate the yellow/brown they look too grey and if I leave some colour they just look really strange and unnatural when I lighten them. I'm wondering if it's to do with shine? The enamel of teeth gives them a shine but with there being no enamel there they look really dull.

Critical Sass
Nov 11, 2009

...and you're worried about me gaying up the place.
Is there anyone that can actually speak to this in terms of technique? (links, etc)? Every time I touch teeth they end up looking like horse chiclets.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
I usually view them under a bw adjustment layer and dodge up the pearly grays before finally messing with the color.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure if this is a post-processing question per se, but I just got Photoshop CC and thus have to rejigger everything, but is there a reason why the "Export As" function that Photoshop keeps pushing me isn't color managed? Thank goodness that Save For Web is still there, but am I missing something or is there no way to use Export As to create files with the same colors as I see in Photoshop?
You can also choice to embed the current colour profile when using the Save As option. I can't offer any insight why Export As can't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does Lightroom CC store/sync my Presets like VSCO stuff or do I have to install them on every new machine?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Install them on each machine from my experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ah I figured as much, thanks. That's a pain in the rear end when I've already installed everything for Lightroom 5 across 2 machines. Weird how LR doesn't support that sort of syncing.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ah I figured as much, thanks. That's a pain in the rear end when I've already installed everything for Lightroom 5 across 2 machines. Weird how LR doesn't support that sort of syncing.

I made my ACR stuff under appdata\roaming\adobe\cameraraw a dropbox folder so it just syncs across my laptop and desktop. Should be able to do the same with lightrooms settings folders

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

I made my ACR stuff under appdata\roaming\adobe\cameraraw a dropbox folder so it just syncs across my laptop and desktop. Should be able to do the same with lightrooms settings folders
This. If you switch machines often putting appdata/roaming on a syncing platform loving owns anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a neat idea, might have to give that a shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can copy your entire LR Catalog between machines just fine.. I use bittorrent sync as my copy tool of choice.

Even works cross platform without any fuss.

Just be careful not to have LR open on more than one machine at a time, that will definitely cause issues.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Just be careful not to have LR open on more than one machine at a time, that will definitely cause issues.
I thought it at least detected a read-lock, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, don't do it.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Jadeilyn posted:

I don't want to bump the exposure or contrast so much that it looks like daytime, because it wasn't like that all. I don't think I can make them look like how I saw it, in a palette of blues, violets, silvers and grays, but I don't feel like what I've done does these photos justice. I have the Photoshop/Lightroom CC combo, and these are all RAWs. Any suggestions?
I think white balance will have the biggest effect on getting this moved towards the point where you want it. You could try maxing saturation/vibrance and then setting a cooler temp (some orange left in the scene, but not much) and offset it with a slightly higher tint. Then bring the saturation/vibrance back down to normal. Then go down to HSL and push the hue around a little if there is too much blue and/or drop the blue luminance and saturation so it doesn't look like the scene is colorized bright blue.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm finding my photo needs are rapidly switching from 'everything needs post-processing' to 'post-process only the good ones and get everything else accessible ASAP' so I want to establish a new workflow that utilizes OSX's Photos and My Photo Library to do this. My new idea, and I hope this'll work, is to start using Photos on OS X to import everything from my phone or 6D. From there, I'll filter out the obvious bad photos and delete them, leaving everything else as originals easily accessible via my iCloud Photo Library. For those photos that need minor adjusting, I can just use Photos for levels and such. Beyond that, for photos I want to seriously adjust or play with, I can export the originals to a folder and import them into Lightroom, and from there re-export to wherever including Photos if I want the final version shared there too.

Since I have a bad habit of not going through Lightroom currently (my current import destination) and I'm using my cameras more socially where my desire to adjust poo poo doesn't matter to anyone else (they just want to see the snapshots), this seems like the best choice. Does this seem like a sane workflow?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does this seem like a sane workflow?

No. Take your meds.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

If you have Lightroom I don't even know why you would even think of using OSX Photos for anything.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pukestain Pal posted:

No. Take your meds.

This is very helpful, thank you for your insight! Do you have any specifics about why my workflow isn't sane, specifically in regards to my previously stated goals?

alkanphel posted:

If you have Lightroom I don't even know why you would even think of using OSX Photos for anything.

Well like I mentioned, my primary photo usage has shifted; I've moved closer to home so there are lots of family gatherings, quick social events and whatnot where speed is more important than drilling down to precise development tools. So as far as "anything" goes, there are plenty of uses for having my photos readily available on all of my devices, especially those that a pretty large segment of the public use! But when I do want to do something semi or real professionally, I'd like to be able to do that too which is where Lightroom comes in.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Well like I mentioned, my primary photo usage has shifted; I've moved closer to home so there are lots of family gatherings, quick social events and whatnot where speed is more important than drilling down to precise development tools. So as far as "anything" goes, there are plenty of uses for having my photos readily available on all of my devices, especially those that a pretty large segment of the public use! But when I do want to do something semi or real professionally, I'd like to be able to do that too which is where Lightroom comes in.

All my friends who do this (for speed) just setup the camera to produce the JPGs they want and share direct from the camera to their phone for Instagram/FB. They don't even bother with LR or Photos even anymore.

You could shoot both JPG and RAW, share the JPGs instantly and use the RAWs with LR for anything else that doesn't require instant sharing.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do I get lightroom to not auto import my exports? It's really loving annoying and happens randomly, I don't get it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Don't include your export folder as one of your photo library sources

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

alkanphel posted:

All my friends who do this (for speed) just setup the camera to produce the JPGs they want and share direct from the camera to their phone for Instagram/FB. They don't even bother with LR or Photos even anymore.

You could shoot both JPG and RAW, share the JPGs instantly and use the RAWs with LR for anything else that doesn't require instant sharing.

Thanks; that's not a bad idea, thank you! I'm basically trying to consolidate my control-freak needs and my 'serious' photos with my family's total lack of caring about anything other than capturing the memory. Equally valid points, not one singular answer yet, unfortunately.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
editq-1 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

How could I go about bringing out the white graffiti in this shot in the bottom right corner in Lightroom?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

huhu posted:

editq-1 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

How could I go about bringing out the white graffiti in this shot in the bottom right corner in Lightroom?

Drop the luminosity of blue/aqua.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I updated to Lightroom 6.2 and suggest you do not do the same. Among other things, when importing photos, file names are hidden unless you hover over each individual image. Horrible if you want to import only a few images from a card that has a lot on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're outside the designed use case if you're not importing the entire SD card.

I mean, it sucks the software no longer supports the way you want to use it, but just about everyone else in the world is just going to click "import all."

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

xzzy posted:

You're outside the designed use case if you're not importing the entire SD card.

I mean, it sucks the software no longer supports the way you want to use it, but just about everyone else in the world is just going to click "import all."
Based on the amount of bitching on adobe's support site, I'm not so sure.

Many people are reporting issues with it crashing, although I haven't had any issues. So maybe another reason to wait and see on the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My Lightroom is crashing 24/7 now. I thought it happened after updating to El Capitan, but you might be right that it could have happened after updating Lightroom itself. Nevertheless, it's barely useable right now as almost any big change (deleting photos, applying stuff, using presets) results in a crash.

• Locked thread