Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of moving off of Sprint... When I request a domestic unlock for my wife's iPhone 5s, do I have to be ready to port it out right away or can I get it done way ahead of time?

According to Sprint's own policy, any device that is eligible to be domestic unlocked is automatically unlocked by Sprint when all conditions are met (end of contract/lease paid off, account in good standing, etc)

Whether that actually happens that way is another matter. But if it doesn't, it sounds like you can just request it ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Mahoning posted:

I doubt that has anything to do with coverage and is probably just network congestion.

You're probably right.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of moving off of Sprint... When I request a domestic unlock for my wife's iPhone 5s, do I have to be ready to port it out right away or can I get it done way ahead of time?

I did mine via chat before my 6S Plus showed up. They get the phone details, do the unlock, have you restart it, and send you links to all the apple documentation about it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can do it ahead of time. You may have to do an iTunes restore for it to complete the unlock, but I think if the phone is still provisioned and active on the network, they can push an update to the phone to unlock without iTunes.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I've had the worst luck with trying to domestic unlock my note 5 wtf

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
I signed up with Sprint in 2007 when I read about SERO in this forum for 3 x :10bux:. Saved a bunch of money over the ~8 years but I've come to realize unlimited data when you have crap 4G coverage everywhere isn't really that great. Next stop is Cricket's 5 lines for $100 deal and GSM! Last one out, don't forget to close the door :hfive:.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm debating Cricket or Page Plus when the time comes for me to kick this Sprint habit.

Maybe we should just turn this thread into an info hut for those seeking better lands.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm thinking about MetroPCS, and I've got a Google Fi invite.

Unfortunately I use about 5 gigs a month, so I'm not going to do better than my fifty dollar SERO plan when it comes to price.. Though as mentioned by someone earlier, what's the point of cheap Internet when it sucks?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a Nexus 5 with a spiderwebbed screen after I dropped it. I could make a claim with Asurion to replace it for $150, but I'm guessing the phone isn't worth that much.

I'm on SERO 500 and a store employee told me I'm eligible for an early upgrade. I'm not keen on the size of the Nexus 6, the 5 isn't in stock at sprint.com, and the 5X won't be offered by Sprint.

Here's what I'm thinking: Use the early upgrade and get a Nexus 6, switch to Project Fi, sell the 6 and get a 5X.

How much will this cost me?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Early update for Sprint likely means they put you on a lease plan. They have been kinda sketchy about it lately, so be careful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why on earth would you get a new phone from Sprint if you're just going to leave?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why on earth would you get a new phone from Sprint if you're just going to leave?

I'm pretty close to broke right now, just started a new job yesterday after almost 6 weeks not working (shortly after returning from a 3-week trip overseas). If I can get it cheap or free (can I?) it would help a lot.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm pretty close to broke right now, just started a new job yesterday after almost 6 weeks not working (shortly after returning from a 3-week trip overseas). If I can get it cheap or free (can I?) it would help a lot.

No, it will not be cheap and no, it will not be free.

For what it's worth, you can do a payment plan on a 6P or 5X when you order one and sign up for Fi.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I'm getting a Nexus 6P but buying it free and clear so Sprint can't ransom me if i decide to jump ship. I've been weighing my options but I get such a nice 20% discount because of my job.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sucks about Sprint's cost cutting. 2016 is supposed to be the year their new network really is close to fully complete and I can actually believe it near me currently.

I have LTE 800 now at my place where only getting LTE 2500 before. And when I still drop to 3G I still get 2-3mbit which is still pretty good.

Hopefully they can cut some cost and get some market back. Carrying the Lumia 950/950XL wouldn't hurt either, but alas, AT&T Exclusives suck major butt.

Will have to see in the long run. I never see myself giving up my SERO plan for how much data I use a month on my G3.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

-Inu- posted:

Why is Sprint telling me that SERO isn't eligible for a GS6 even if I buy it outright?

edit: I'm sure that you guys will most likely tell me to call, but I've never had a problem upgrading/ordering SERO phones online before.
edit2: Checked sprintusers and apparently it's a common message. You can order the phone and it won't force you to change your plan. Weird.
Just as an update to this, I ignored the message and ordered a GS6. Had no problems upgrading using the Samsung activation thing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Has anybody with a stock Note 5 been getting lockups and reboots in conjunction with a "bootstrap failed" toast recently? I've done some searching, and it seems that other people seeing that message are all on the Sprint Note 5, and most mentioned seeing it after getting the Samsung Pay update. It was really bad for me a few days ago, but seems to have mostly cleared up lately. Just curious how widespread the issue actually is, or if anybody knows what causes it...

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm dumping SERO (the $50 plan) to go to Project Fi. Is there any value in my SERO plan? Once upon a time you could sell it to somebody else for a few bucks. Does that still go on?

edit: I'm taking my number with me - any advice on this would be welcome.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 11, 2015

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

photomikey posted:

I'm dumping SERO (the $50 plan) to go to Project Fi. Is there any value in my SERO plan? Once upon a time you could sell it to somebody else for a few bucks. Does that still go on?

edit: I'm taking my number with me - any advice on this would be welcome.

I would gladly take it but I think Sprint has stopped allowing people to transfer SERO to non-current SERO havers.

Edit: someone correct me if I'm wrong.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Chaotic Flame posted:

I would gladly take it but I think Sprint has stopped allowing people to transfer SERO to non-current SERO havers.

Edit: someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This and pretty sure you can't sell your plan then take your number with you.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

bobula posted:

Is there still a way to transfer your number to google voice and ask Sprint to keep your number?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

bobula posted:

I believe you port your number out, they assign you some generic new number on your old account, then you sell (give) that one.

For the record, I don't want to get money out of it, I just want the last few months of my contract covered.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

general chaos posted:

Is there still a way to transfer your number to google voice and ask Sprint to keep your number?

Honestly, it isn't worth the effort.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Grumpwagon posted:

No charge on my bill.

Second bill, still no charge. I'm going to consider this case closed.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Grumpwagon posted:

Second bill, still no charge. I'm going to consider this case closed.

very cool!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I've been on the same ripoff family plan for quite a while, largely because we're all spread out and getting consensus to change anything is a chore. So, I notice that Sprint is doing a 40gb share for $140 promotion and I'm like hey why am I paying almost twice that much?

So I call.

:)Hi, I notice you're running a promo for $140 for 40gb and I'd like to switch our plan!

:classiclol:Oh, but you have unlimited data!

:)Yes, I know. 40gb is more than enough for us and we don't want to be part of the upgrade cycle anymore, so this works perfectly for us.

:classiclol:Uh, well it's only for new customers. Besides, you're so lucky to have your current plan! Unlimited data! Upgrades!

:)So, you're telling me I have to go over to T-Mobile, switch over, let them pay off our ETFs and phone lease and come back, and you'll give us the price? Sounds like a pretty good plan actually.

:classiclol:... I see your point. Hold on and I'll get someone to switch you over!

Repeat 6 times. After two hours on the phone with them, I finally get to someone who is "talking to corporate about it".

End result: They won't do it. They do credit me $100 bucks for the hell of it, but T-Mobile just brought back their $120 price for 4 lines with 10gb data on each line, and it rolls over.

I've had this line with sprint since 1998, I have no idea why I've suffered with this garbage for so long. Bye forever!

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I've been on the same ripoff family plan for quite a while, largely because we're all spread out and getting consensus to change anything is a chore. So, I notice that Sprint is doing a 40gb share for $140 promotion and I'm like hey why am I paying almost twice that much?

So I call.

:)Hi, I notice you're running a promo for $140 for 40gb and I'd like to switch our plan!

:)Yes, I know. 40gb is more than enough for us and we don't want to be part of the upgrade cycle anymore, so this works perfectly for us.

:classiclol:Uh, well it's only for new customers. Besides, you're so lucky to have your current plan! Unlimited data! Upgrades!

:)So, you're telling me I have to go over to T-Mobile, switch over, let them pay off our ETFs and phone lease and come back, and you'll give us the price? Sounds like a pretty good plan actually.

:classiclol:... I see your point. Hold on and I'll get someone to switch you over!

Repeat 6 times. After two hours on the phone with them, I finally get to someone who is "talking to corporate about it".

End result: They won't do it. They do credit me $100 bucks for the hell of it, but T-Mobile just brought back their $120 price for 4 lines with 10gb data on each line, and it rolls over.

I've had this line with sprint since 1998, I have no idea why I've suffered with this garbage for so long. Bye forever!

Well it's enticing but T mobile has horrible coverage from what I have seen. To be worse than Sprint you have to be pretty freaking awful

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Darkpriest667 posted:

Well it's enticing but T mobile has horrible coverage from what I have seen. To be worse than Sprint you have to be pretty freaking awful

This is one of those things that's gonna be super subjective depending on your location. I switched and my coverage and speeds actually improved dramatically.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Am I reading this right, you still get upgrade pricing on phones? :mad:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So I call.

The 40gb plan is $120. It's not only for new customers. You got a string of lovely agents. I'd switch you right now if you called my store.

Q_res posted:

The legacy plans are still eligible for two year upgrades, yes.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Helter Skelter posted:

This is one of those things that's gonna be super subjective depending on your location. I switched and my coverage and speeds actually improved dramatically.

That's a fair point I am just making observations from their own coverage maps. Their speed probably is better.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Wizard of Smart posted:

So...SERO/EPRP is considered a legacy plan, right? So those of us on it will continue to get upgrade pricing on phones, right?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Wizard of Smart posted:

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

So...SERO/EPRP is considered a legacy plan, right? So those of us on it will continue to get upgrade pricing on phones, right?

The reason for my previous comment is that I have an EPRP plan and the only options I have are full retail or full retail spread over 24 months.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Darkpriest667 posted:

That's a fair point I am just making observations from their own coverage maps. Their speed probably is better.

I switched to T-Mobile about 10 months ago and have seen far better coverage AND speeds.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I just got an HTC one for $99 a few months ago and Im on SERO.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Im on an old school SERO plan, got upgrade pricing on a note 5 and a galaxy s6 3 weeks ago.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
I'm on the Unlimited, My Way plan, which is running me $80/mo.

Should I switch to the $60 unlimited plan before it goes away? I don't do much roaming, and I lose the unlimited guarantee, but I'm paying a $20 premium for that guarantee.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Q_res posted:

Unless you're on SERO, why on earth would you want to keep upgrade pricing? It is and always has been a ripoff.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Unless you're on SERO, why on earth would you want to keep upgrade pricing? It is and always has been a ripoff.

Is this because of the plan pricing, or the upgrades? I ask because I've upgraded every two years and haven't had to pay more than $50 dollars for a phone since the Iphone 4. In fact, the 5s to 6s is going to cost me $30. The leasing seems like a huge loving ripoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

LorneReams posted:

Is this because of the plan pricing, or the upgrades? I ask because I've upgraded every two years and haven't had to pay more than $50 dollars for a phone since the Iphone 4. In fact, the 5s to 6s is going to cost me $30. The leasing seems like a huge loving ripoff.

Upgrades add an extra charge to your monthly bill, there's no way around it.