Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Mu Zeta posted:

Liliputing seems to think real soon

Excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I've been keeping my eye out for an X250 for the last couple of weeks, and I found this one on eBay for <$800 and decided to pull the trigger. Did I do good?

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 5, 2015

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

I've been keeping my eye out for an X250 for the last couple of weeks, and I found this one on eBay for >$800 and decided to pull the trigger. Did I do good?

Yes you did. Have fun with that awesome tiny machine!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm trying to figure out the kind of specs I should be looking at for my needs.

I'm in search of a laptop for general home use. No gaming, no portability. The most intensive tasks would be running Photoshop CC and connecting to my work VPN one day per week. I need Windows.

What general specs should I be paying attention to?

My budget is $600 max. If anyone has any direct suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
I'm currently waiting for more of the Skylake laptops to come out, and was wondering if anyone knows of something with an excellent keyboard and large (17") screen?

I'm going to be doing some serious programming in Visual Studio on this, so I'd like to avoid RSI and eye strain, and have something that can compile pretty quickly, has at least a TB hard drive, and has a non-integrated GPU (NVidia if at all possible). But I really don't want a noisy ugly bulky beast like Alienware or MSI provide. Decent battery life would be nice but isn't a requirement.

Am I looking for a special unicorn here? The Acer Aspire V17 Nitro seems like it would be a good candidate if they ever release the Skylake version in the US, but I'm unsure.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The Lenovo P70? Dell Precision M6800? HP ZBook 17?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Absolutely not Lenovo - I don't trust anyone who uses BIOS hacks.

Dell seems pricey but a possibility?

Is the build quality on HP good nowadays? I've had issues with their laptops falling apart in the past, and the new swivel-elevate design seems like it might be shaky? (Please correct me if this is wrong)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Was it a cheap consumer laptop?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
14 13.5 inch Surface is showing up. Cool. It's more of a laptop than a surface though.

Microosft Surface Book. 13.5" screen.

edit: glass trackpad, nvidia gpu with gddr5 memory also supposedly 12 hours of battery life.

edit 2: Hahaha, the screen can come off the hinge so it really is a super surface/laptop hybrid thing instead of well what the surface pro 4 already is.

edit 3: Okay, the gpu is built into the keyboard. Intel cpu is in the display. That's really neat. Probably has extra battery built into the keyboard.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 6, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Surface Book looks loving awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If that hinge works as advertised, surface book looks ridiculous.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Depending on which GPU they fit in there I might be tempted. It could be the first professional looking laptop with a hint of gaming at a price worth paying.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

TopherCStone posted:

Surface Book looks loving awesome.

I was debating on getting a Macbook Pro, but this machine with a drawing surface and Windows looks sexy as hell. It will be a very hard choice between saving money on the Surface 3, or getting this monster. I'll definitely need more details to decide.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

havenwaters posted:

[edit 3: Okay, the gpu is built into the keyboard. Intel cpu is in the display. That's really neat. Probably has extra battery built into the keyboard.
Didn't notice that part. That's...awesome? Why not just put out a full on gaming dock, then?

This Surface Book thing (lol) is looking pretty good. Minus the $1500 entry level price.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Didn't notice that part. That's...awesome? Why not just put out a full on gaming dock, then?

The intent is pretty clearly to directly challenge and one-up the Macbook Pro.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ilkhan posted:

Well, with the GPU in the keyboard, any laptop platform that does active cooling pretty much is a gaming dock.

I was looking at a gaming laptop recently, but this may well be even better. Time to take advantage of the fact I have more money than sense these days...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ilkhan posted:

This Surface Book thing (lol) is looking pretty good. Minus the $1500 entry level price.

$1500 is what a 13" Macbook Pro with 256GB SSD / 8GB RAM costs, and that doesn't have the touchscreen, the dedicated GPU, or the whole detachable screen and surface pen thing. Not only that, but the 13" rMBP isn't really a bad value. It's a very nice machine.

Edit: Apparently the dedicated GPU isn't in the $1500 config. I had bad info.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 6, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The pre-order page is up.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.325716000?icid=en_US_SurfaceBk_cat_modG_100615

So it's not all good news. You don't get a dGPU until you pay $1899.

edit: And the fully maxed out version (i7, 512 GB ssd, dgpu, 16 gb of ram) is $2699. Tech specs don't mention what gpu it actually is either.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Article on the Surface Book: http://gizmodo.com/surface-book-is-microsofts-glorious-new-laptop-1734937744

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Link to said pre-order. Adding a GPU adds about $200.

edit: Beaten while looking for mobile gpu MSRPs.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

Was it a cheap consumer laptop?

It was a cheaper HP laptop, so yeah. However, it seems a little unclear to me in the current market what laptops are made of better materials. Is it just a gray area where 1000$+ laptops tend to be made of increasingly better materials?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

havenwaters posted:

The pre-order page is up.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.325716000?icid=en_US_SurfaceBk_cat_modG_100615

So it's not all good news. You don't get a dGPU until you pay $1899.

edit: And the fully maxed out version (i7, 512 GB ssd, dgpu, 16 gb of ram) is $2699. Tech specs don't mention what gpu it actually is either.

Yikes...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

$400 more for a i5/256GB/8GB book vs a pro 4, and +$200 on top of that for the dGPU.
drat, Microsoft.

Is the full presentation on youtube yet?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ilkhan posted:

$400 more for a i5/256GB/8GB book vs a pro 4, and +$200 on top of that for the dGPU.
drat, Microsoft.

Is the full presentation on youtube yet?

Yeah the pro 4 doesn't come with the keyboard though (still). That's another $129.99 on top of the $1299. edit: $159.99 if you get the version with the fingerprint ID.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Goreld posted:

It was a cheaper HP laptop, so yeah. However, it seems a little unclear to me in the current market what laptops are made of better materials. Is it just a gray area where 1000$+ laptops tend to be made of increasingly better materials?

When you enter from consumer into enterprise computers a lot of things change. Prices go up, but so does build quality.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
What's up with the Surface Book hinge? From the pictures on the preorder page, it looks like the screen doesn't lay flat on the keyboard when it's closed, and that if any significant pressure was applied, it would be easy to break the curved hinge.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Yeah the pro 4 doesn't come with the keyboard though (still). That's another $129.99 on top of the $1299. edit: $159.99 if you get the version with the fingerprint ID.

Fingerprint ID stuff is pretty cool tech and worth the extra $20-30

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Because my wallet didn't hate me enough for buying a new Nexus 6P last week already. Now it *really* hates me.
i5/256/8/dGPU.

Phone was already fully funded, have my N5 and current laptop, and maybe current desktop, to sell to fund this new toy. I was already planning on a surface pro 4, and this nails my needs even better than that does. Wonder what the dGPU is.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 6, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Chu020 posted:

What's up with the Surface Book hinge? From the pictures on the preorder page, it looks like the screen doesn't lay flat on the keyboard when it's closed, and that if any significant pressure was applied, it would be easy to break the curved hinge.

It does look like that. Can detach it if you want them to lay flat though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chu020 posted:

An associate from Microsoft went back to late 70s SciFi. When he came back he had the hinge with him.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Chu020 posted:

It detaches from the hinge. There's (what looks like) an eject button that makes the "musclewire" release the display. It's built to also (after re-attaching it facing the other way) be a convertible.

ilkhan posted:

Because my wallet didn't hate me enough for buying a new Nexus 6P last week already. Now it *really* hates me.
i5/256/8/dGPU.

Phone was already fully funded, have my N5 and current laptop, and maybe current desktop, to sell to fund this new toy. I was already planning on a surface pro 4, and this nails my needs even better than that does. Wonder what the dGPU is.

I'm waiting for reviews (what the dGPU is, actual battery life while browsing internet at full screen brightness, etc). This old hp laptop with an i5 520m still working pretty well since it has a ssd in it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

havenwaters posted:

I'm waiting for reviews (what the dGPU is, actual battery life while browsing internet at full screen brightness, etc). This old hp laptop with an i5 520m still working pretty well since it has a ssd in it.
Yeah, I've been so pissed at my current laptop (loud/hot, poo poo battery life, etc) that I'm ready to jump. Plus my usage has changed, I don't need the i7-QM or 770M GPU anymore, the 960M or whatever it ends up being will be plenty for the occasional game without sounding like a hair dryer.

My only other real concern is how much better the v2 will be when they swap all the ports over to type-C.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ilkhan posted:

i5/256/8/dGPU.

Awesome, be sure to report back with impressions.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Someone finally made my dream laptop! Now to wait for reviews..

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of the material lists a model. The only thing any of it confirms is whatever it is, it has 1gb of memory.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I wonder if you'll be able to upgrade the GPU in the future by buying the keyboard/GPU of Surface Book 2 and using the same screen as SB1. That would be a killer option if you don't mind keeping the same CPU.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

No one in this world is willing to kill a goose this golden.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Silly Burrito posted:

I wonder if you'll be able to upgrade the GPU in the future by buying the keyboard/GPU of Surface Book 2 and using the same screen as SB1. That would be a killer option if you don't mind keeping the same CPU.

Could there be a third party market? I wonder if it's possible for the likes of ASUS, MSI, EVGA etc to come out with a Surface Book keyboard that has a beefier battery and GPU to upgrade with eventually.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

teagone posted:

Could there be a third party market? I wonder if it's possible for the likes of ASUS, MSI, EVGA etc to come out with a Surface Book keyboard that has a beefier battery and GPU to upgrade with eventually.

Anything is possible, it's really up to Microsoft to licence it to them. Would be pretty kick rear end if they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Press kit Fact Sheet for the Surface Book showed up, it's a docx file: http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/surface/docs/surfacebookfs.docx

Intel GPU is the HD 520 (so Skylake GT2) and the Nvidia GPU is still not specified but has 1 GB of GDDR5 ram. 100 % sRGB display that is individually calibrated. It's using PCIe 3.0 SSDs. 1 TB is listed as an option but is not available right now.