Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

mitztronic posted:

Anyways, that's all. I was considering upgrading when the next update comes around but now I'm pretty happy. Feels almost brand new. The only problem now is running out of SSD space, but I'm sure I can figure something out

The SSD's aren't terribly difficult to upgrade yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

It's very late for me to complain about this as the issue was covered a year ago, but I'm just discovering how underpowered the late 2014 Mac Minis are. No after-market RAM, dual-core only. I was hoping to get CPU performance parity from my early 2013 rMBP 15" (because I quite like that) but that's just not going to happen. There was a 40% performance drop from the previous high-end QC mini, wow. However! The current ones can drive a 4K display on a single cable, which my 15" can't do.

Pinching pennies 'til hardware refresh. Or just improving my AE roto workflow. Or just waiting for Adobe CC to release whatever they were touting for Metal in El Cap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kuskus posted:

It's very late for me to complain about this as the issue was covered a year ago, but I'm just discovering how underpowered the late 2014 Mac Minis are. No after-market RAM, dual-core only. I was hoping to get CPU performance parity from my early 2013 rMBP 15" (because I quite like that) but that's just not going to happen. There was a 40% performance drop from the previous high-end QC mini, wow. However! The current ones can drive a 4K display on a single cable, which my 15" can't do.

Pinching pennies 'til hardware refresh. Or just improving my AE roto workflow. Or just waiting for Adobe CC to release whatever they were touting for Metal in El Cap.

AE is loving poo poo for roto in my opinion. Pay for a license of Mocha Pro. You'll wonder how you ever messed with a mask in AE (although you'll end up round tripping to AE probably for final result...the impact is negligible). You can very often get Mocha at 25/30% discounts by attending their free webinar training things. Which are actually useful to boot.

edit: Actually you can probably just roto using Mocha AE which is included... ever since we got Mocha Pro I forgot Mocha AE even existed.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 2014 minis are so shameless. I consider the lowest viable model to be the 8GB/256GB SSD one which goes for $760! as a refurb.

Combine that with them killing the quad core mini and it's just...what the gently caress? The only reasonable option for an apple desktop right now is the iMac.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah, I think it's crazy that there isn't a mini that at least rivals a 15" rMBP in performance.

In other news, my early 2011 15" MBP appears to be suffering from the infamous discrete GPU failure. From what I gather, this issue is still covered by Apple until sometime in February 2016. Anything I should know before I bring it in for repair? Any point in taking video of graphics glitches in action, or are the internal genius bar diagnostics all that matter? Years ago I replaced the DVD drive with a data doubler (with 1TB mechanical drive) and upgraded the RAM to 16GB. Could either of these modifications potentially void coverage? Should I swap the stock parts in before bringing it in for repair? I also plan on paying for a battery replacement when I bring it in ("service battery" message and horrible battery life...19.4% of design capacity).

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
For what it's worth I recently had my 2011 fixed for the same problem at an authorised repair place, with aftermarket ram, wireless card, data doubler SDD, a self replaced display assembly and a few missing screws. It wasn't an issue. The tech who did the initial triage took a few photos of the problem because according to him the diagnostics can sometimes say that there's no issue

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Got my mainboard swapped on a 2011 17" with an OptiBay, new RAM, new hard drives, a bunch of dents. They don't care. Just take it in.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Sounds good. What's a consistent way to stress the GPU to ensure I'm able to reproduce the issue when I bring it in. Is GpuTest legit?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Splinter posted:

Sounds good. What's a consistent way to stress the GPU to ensure I'm able to reproduce the issue when I bring it in. Is GpuTest legit?

Take a video if you can't repoduce in store. If it's for the quality program they will have a video test that will give them the answer anyways.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Splinter posted:

Yes, though the last time I used it it was only FurMark. poo poo would get GPUs up to 100C.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Splinter posted:

Their in-house test verified it for me. Anything that uses the dedicated graphics should be able to reproduce it though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

fleshweasel posted:

The 2014 minis are so shameless. I consider the lowest viable model to be the 8GB/256GB SSD one which goes for $760! as a refurb.

Combine that with them killing the quad core mini and it's just...what the gently caress? The only reasonable option for an apple desktop right now is the iMac.

Yeah, I was happy to grab one of the 2012 refurb i7s. I threw a Samsung 850 EVO into it and it flies.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Wasn't it the lack of a quad-core Haswell mobile processor at release time that made them drop that option?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I need some advice. The price difference between an iPhone 5s 32gb and 6s 64gb is 300 euros where I live. I'm a student saving up for a MacBook Pro, so if I'm realistic I can't really afford the iPhone 6s right now. I mean, I technically could because I have the money, but it will set me back a LOT in what I've saved up for the laptop.

Am I going to regret buying the 5s in a year or two? Or is it going to hold up?

Edit - I guess there's an iPhone thread I should've posted this in.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I Am Crake posted:

I need some advice. The price difference between an iPhone 5s 32gb and 6s 64gb is 300 euros where I live. I'm a student saving up for a MacBook Pro, so if I'm realistic I can't really afford the iPhone 6s right now. I mean, I technically could because I have the money, but it will set me back a LOT in what I've saved up for the laptop.

Am I going to regret buying the 5s in a year or two? Or is it going to hold up?

Edit - I guess there's an iPhone thread I should've posted this in.

I have a 5S now and while I LOVE it, I can't see myself having it in 2 years. Wanna upgrade to a 6s ASAP.

It's still an amazing phone but maybe not so much by the time iOS 11 is out ;)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah there's an iPhone thread. It's a personal decision. 5s is fast and will be supported for a while but 6s is even faster and has force touch and the Touch ID is a lot faster too. It's a pretty fantastic phone.

People don't really know what 300 euro means to you. Personally I think it's worth it but I don't know your situation.

Wait a bit maybe you can get one used on eBay?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
2013 13" Macbook Pro Unibody
System dies on me in use while on my lap, and won't power on. I did some googling and unplug the battery from the mainboard then plugged it back in.

Everything is normal now and it seems to be a fairly common issue based on my search results. The question I have is "Why?" any clue why this occurs and what the battery unplug / plug back in "fixes"?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Nystral posted:

2013 13" Macbook Pro Unibody
System dies on me in use while on my lap, and won't power on. I did some googling and unplug the battery from the mainboard then plugged it back in.

Everything is normal now and it seems to be a fairly common issue based on my search results. The question I have is "Why?" any clue why this occurs and what the battery unplug / plug back in "fixes"?

I think disconnecting the battery would cause an SMC reset:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Which you could have done another way. I actually had an issue with my iMac after updating to El Capitan where the keyboard and mouse (both USB and bluetooth) would just stop working after the computer was woken from sleep. Doing the SMC reset process fixed it. If your read the list at the bottom battery management and responding to the power button are included in the things that it handles.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Lots of interesting PC hardware news this week that exposes the "could-be"s for next Mac hardware.

Dell's using a USB-C port with a Thunderbolt logo.

The Verge posted:

Dell is also taking advantage of USB Type-C, so if you want to collect a new peripheral you can, or you can simply use the port to charge the XPS 15, too. The same port will also support Thunderbolt 3.
Also using a 4K edge to edge 15" display.

The Surface Pro 4 are fanless with a very low TDP, have Skylake, and can power multiple 4K displays. I think both of these things make the next rMB and rMBP look pretty good. Even the Mini. Not that you ever know.

Edit: Actually even their 12" convertible has two Thunderbolt 3 USB-C shaped ports.

The Verge posted:

All of the new models will come with Thunderbolt 3, which use the same Type-C connectors as USB 3.1. This means that the ports support not only Thunderbolt, but full 10Gbps USB 3.1 gen 2 speeds.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 8, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I hope a nice selection of thunderbolt video cards start coming out. It would be really sweet to buy a laptop and be able to plug in a video card that can handle whatever you need. Then you buy your laptop based on form factor, screen size etc and if you want to play some games at home you can.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The Surface Book is more expensive than MBPs even when kitted out, but it basically does the "pluggable GPU" thing. Apple's never been big on gaming, insisting the dGPUs are for professional work, but they might do something like that. External GPUs have always been limited by ludicrous cost of the exclosures, external power supplies, and the low relative speed of the interface.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Wait, Thunderbolt and Type-C have the same connectors? Are the ports usually compatible with both? :psyduck:

That sounds like a nightmare.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C are bundled. It's possible to have USB-C and not TB, but not the other way around.

Much like it is with TB2 and mDP.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

The Surface Book is more expensive than MBPs even when kitted out, but it basically does the "pluggable GPU" thing. Apple's never been big on gaming, insisting the dGPUs are for professional work, but they might do something like that. External GPUs have always been limited by ludicrous cost of the exclosures, external power supplies, and the low relative speed of the interface.

I imagine the thunderbolt3 external GPU is more of an attraction for gamers, so a Bootcamp partition would work awesome with this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

robodex posted:

Wait, Thunderbolt and Type-C have the same connectors? Are the ports usually compatible with both? :psyduck:

That sounds like a nightmare.

The only issue is if you have Type-C, you might not have a Thunderbolt port.

Fortunately, most of the vendors seems to be adopting Thunderbolt.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

flosofl posted:

I imagine the thunderbolt3 external GPU is more of an attraction for gamers, so a Bootcamp partition would work awesome with this.

Intel has already been showing it off. Either in a dock form, or an enclosure that you put a card of your selection in. Pretty much what I have been dreaming of for years. No more flaming out laptop or premium for getting the discreet GPU model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFkp0GHz5v8

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Does Apple offer refurb iPhones? Refurb.me only lists computers+everything else sans iPhone. I wonder why.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

awesome-express posted:

Does Apple offer refurb iPhones? Refurb.me only lists computers+everything else sans iPhone. I wonder why.

iPhone thread is over here ->> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664222

I'm guessing if they don't it's because you get a refurb when your phone breaks and you're under warranty.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't know the exact reason, but Bob is right. You get a refurb when you need a phone swapped out or you pay to have one replaced because you hosed it up, but you can't buy one on the store. My theory is that the number of refurbs they need is greater than the number of refurbs they have.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The carriers sell refurbs. The iPhone I'm posting from right now is a refurb from T-Mobile.

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....
I need some advice on rebuilding a late 2011 15" macbook pro. My girlfriend split some water on her key board, and it fried the logic board. I'm curious if it is comparable to building a desktop, if it is worth my money to replace the logic board(myself), and if it might be possible to replace it with a later model logic board?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've got an early 2011 13" MBP that no longer automatically goes to sleep when you shut the lid. Tried resetting the PRAM and... whatever it was the other one was, but to no avail.

I've had it open several times (swapping hard drive for SSD, replacing a noisy CPU fan), and working on an older white polycarbonate Macbook I've messed up the magnet in the lid that engaged sleep mode, however I've never messed with the bezel/lid on the Pro at all. Any ideas?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Richardanator posted:

I need some advice on rebuilding a late 2011 15" macbook pro. My girlfriend split some water on her key board, and it fried the logic board. I'm curious if it is comparable to building a desktop, if it is worth my money to replace the logic board(myself), and if it might be possible to replace it with a later model logic board?

Highly not recommended to do yourself; that particular model is one of the machines that Apple has a recall out on for having defective graphics chips, the best solution is to take it in to Apple so they can install a brand new logic board with working chip.

If you try to obtain a logic board outside of Apple, chances are high it'll be a pull from a MacBook Pro that didn't get its logic board upgrades and so will likely fail sooner than not.

If water got into the laptop, guaranteed the keyboard's definitely toasted, you'd have to replace that and most likely the top case / trackpad as well.

Also, logic boards on the newer model machines are usually modified just enough so that you'd have a devil of a time trying to make a newer board fit into the case of an older one.

IMHO sell the whole shebang, or part out everything except the stuff that isn't working. It's pretty much either boat anchor or money pit at this point.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 9, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've got an early 2011 13" MBP that no longer automatically goes to sleep when you shut the lid. Tried resetting the PRAM and... whatever it was the other one was, but to no avail.

I've had it open several times (swapping hard drive for SSD, replacing a noisy CPU fan), and working on an older white polycarbonate Macbook I've messed up the magnet in the lid that engaged sleep mode, however I've never messed with the bezel/lid on the Pro at all. Any ideas?

There's a module that's a combination sleep sensor and battery indicator that might need to be replaced. It's this part.. $14 used, $24 new.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

There's a module that's a combination sleep sensor and battery indicator that might need to be replaced. It's this part.. $14 used, $24 new.

Oh, thanks for that! Just tested the battery indicator and yup, also not working, so that's probably the culprit. When I'm done with my last round of assignments next week I'll crack 'er open and check the connection before I order the new part.

My battery itself is also pretty hosed (lasts maybe 1.5 hours now), but I'm not willing to pay for the Apple replacement given how infrequently I need to use it away from wall power for extended periods. I could easily replace it myself if I was confident in the quality of any of the ones on eBay (I'm in Australia), doesn't seem worth the risk of having it explode/quickly wind up not much better than current OEM one though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did the battery on my 13" 2009 MBP and it was quite straightforward. The battery came off eBay but claimed to be genuine, and to be fair it did look pretty much perfect, and was obviously brand new. Either it was a really good fake or a genuine part, but it only cost me £45 and worked fine - got my battery life back to around the 6/7 hours mark when idling with a dim screen and put another year or so of life into the machine before I sold it.

Original battery lasted 3.5 years before dropping to around 2 hours of life and popping up the warning about getting it serviced. It was pretty heavily used as well.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Binary Badger posted:

Highly not recommended to do yourself; that particular model is one of the machines that Apple has a recall out on for having defective graphics chips, the best solution is to take it in to Apple so they can install a brand new logic board with working chip.

If you try to obtain a logic board outside of Apple, chances are high it'll be a pull from a MacBook Pro that didn't get its logic board upgrades and so will likely fail sooner than not.

If water got into the laptop, guaranteed the keyboard's definitely toasted, you'd have to replace that and most likely the top case / trackpad as well.

Also, logic boards on the newer model machines are usually modified just enough so that you'd have a devil of a time trying to make a newer board fit into the case of an older one.

IMHO sell the whole shebang, or part out everything except the stuff that isn't working. It's pretty much either boat anchor or money pit at this point.

Is Apple's flat rate repair of ~$350 for out of warranty MBPs not an option if they detect water damage?

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Richardanator posted:

I'm curious if it is comparable to building a desktop

It's not. It's possible to do it with a good guide and a free afternoon but you need specialised tools (tiny screwdrivers) and your margins for error are much smaller (it's very very easy to accidentally break something). Desktop computers are designed to be user serviceable, and Macbooks aren't.

That video with the external CPU made me extremely happy. I'm dreaming of a day where I can have a box 1/3rd the size of my desktop with a collection of desktop components in there, like a huge graphics card, another processor or even ram, and just attach it via USB to my laptop. You could store games and maybe even the windows partition (if you're using it for games) on a HDD on your desk. Frankly it would be nice to have 1 computer again without having to buy one specifically for portability, you'd just have a desktop with a portability mode.

I've been meaning to upgrade my desktop computer for a while, but I think I'll spend the money getting nice peripherals instead (monitors/keyboard/etc) and just wait for those eGPU docks to get over their initial teething problems and get one of those instead in a year or two.

Jamus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 10, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Speaking of Mac Minis, a few of the 2012s just hit the refurb store. The i7 version sold out instantly, but the i5 is still kicking around. HDD and RAM is upgradeable on these ones. $489

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G0NN0LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-25ghz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, is it already gone?