Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

still trying to come up with questions to ask people to find out if they know how to program good

"what kind of languages have you worked on recently"

"cool can i see what you've done in said languages"

really what else could you want but a programmer who's interested in their own language and made some cool projects in it on their spare time? it means they're cool with learning whatever lovely language you're using and probably learning how to build upon that too.

edit: probably. but yeah there are only so many ways to gauge a potential i assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
yeah that kind of falls down with people who don't have the spare time/energy to do some projects and post them to github or whatever

like it can be an easy way to get that info but you def need a backup in case they respond with "I don't have anything I can just demo to you/show the source"

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
hmmmm then why not something small and on the spot? and not classic algorithm questions, but something that might apply to your company.

the way the "big" companies do it around here are take-home projects. which i think is a terrible idea, and something i've already seen people here from other countries have had to put up with. but something that shows you can apply your ability right there at the interview is always cool. i mean if you're a programmer giving a programming interview it shouldn't be too hard to just build upon something tiny and see what abilities and limits this person might have. even if the solutions look dirty and wrong it's still something to gauge. shouldn't you be on the spot with creative questions as much as s/he should be with creative answers?

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

still trying to come up with questions to ask people to find out if they know how to program good

first figure out what "program good" even means

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
"if you were a fish and i put you in a fish bowl that was full to the point that adding any water would cause it to overflow how would you detect cycles in this graph without any water overflowing"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

best technical interview I had pretty much brought me in, gave me a crash course in their business area, gave me a case study problem that they'd dealt with for lots of customers, and asked me to solve it in two hours as much as I could

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ask: "do you know how to program good?"

if they say "no", they can't, don't hire them

if they say "yes", they're lying, don't hire them

if they say "actually i think you meant to ask whether I can program well", they're insufferable, don't hire them

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Soricidus posted:

ask: "do you know how to program good?"

if they say "no", they can't, don't hire them

if they say "yes", they're lying, don't hire them

if they say "actually i think you meant to ask whether I can program well", they're insufferable, don't hire them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

something relate to designing the data structures for a card game and then how they'd integrate that with UI

also throw different constraints at them to see how comfy they are with changing around the representations vs the design

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 6, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

get them to come on here and chat

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ask them how many bytes they can cram a deck of cards into

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

ask them how many bytes they can cram a deck of cards into

then produce a deck of cards and ask them to demonstrate

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

eschaton posted:

something relate to designing the data structures for a card game and then how they'd integrate that with UI

also throw different constraints at them to see how comfy they are with changing around the representations vs the design

fuuuuck youuuu

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I haven't gotten that far yet

when I wrote this on my microcontroller to save memory I drew random(0, 51) and compared it to each of the hands until there were no duplicates

*screams internally*

i know its unlikely but your worst case runtime is infinity

code:
int count = 51;
int cards = {1, 2, ..., 52};

while(drawCards)
{
  int cardToDraw = rand(0, count);
  int cardDrawn = cards[cardToDraw];
  cards[cardToDraw] = cards[count];
  count--;
}
no duplicates ever, memory efficient and runtime is nice and quick because you avoid "removing" elements from the array (which just creates new arrays)

if you need an easy way to keep track of cards already drawn, set cards[count] to cardDrawn and bam, everything past count is a list of cards already drawn

quote:

Please don't ask us for binaries / pre-compiled versions. We believe that if a group of users of a specific platform feels the need, they will eventually produce them.

go gently caress yourself open sores

http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_OSX

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 6, 2015

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
http://docs.racket-lang.org/cards/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

now as soon as someone writes a lisp machine emulator and I dig out one of those 400-key symbolics keyboards

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

racket continues to be rad.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i have this pipe dream of writing a self hosting scheme compiler and interpreter for pic24/dspic but i lack both the time and the technical ability. i think it'd be pretty cool to be able to gently caress around in an REPL running on the uc through a UART terminal, then be able for it to write the REPL environment to flash.

betalarmannen
Jan 13, 2007

Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

give them some bad real code and ask how they would refactor and clean it up, from most important stuff to least important. pick code that has problems on many levels and for bonus points hints at other problems in project outside the code snippet.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

According to some mathematical theorem, 7 is a large enough n to get a perfect shuffle.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Dessert Rose posted:

According to some mathemagical theorem, 7 is a large enough n to get a perfect shuffle.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Barnyard Protein posted:

i have this pipe dream of writing a self hosting scheme compiler and interpreter for pic24/dspic but i lack both the time and the technical ability. i think it'd be pretty cool to be able to gently caress around in an REPL running on the uc through a UART terminal, then be able for it to write the REPL environment to flash.

I haven't worked on my game in weeks now :(

It used to be that every morning and evening for an hour on the train, and half an hour over lunch I'd be typing away but now I really don't care and am not going to force myself.

It doesn't help that I'm currently in the middle of implementing a solution that I really don't like, but can't think of any other way to do. Maybe I'll post in coc or so as it's quite specific to 3d graphics so not as suitable for this thread

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if you meet a good programmer on the road, kill him

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
get each candidate to interview one of the others

possibly thunderdome style

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
put them in front of a machine with VS/R# installed, and a sample simple codebase that has lots of squiggly lines

give them some unrelated task

hire the one that follows most of the R# recommendations

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Report: Today The Day They Find Out You’re A Fraud
http://onion.com/1Lu8dqF

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

gonadic io posted:

:negative:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
there is a loathsome jerk at my work place who, within minutes of me meeting him on his first day, told me about how he cheated his way through the interview, cheated his way through previous interviews, and begged-for-c's his way through his master's degree. he runs around all day getting his work done by wearing out the good will of his co-workers, but he does apparently get his work done and is not in danger of getting fired or losing everything. so maybe being found out as a fraud isn't the end of the world.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

any suggestions, for python 2, to make program read itself and copy that somewhere else? the idea is that my program makes a thing, and it should make also a script including all the code in it so that one could just run it and replicate the result, given they have installed python and relevant public libraries on their own

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kalstrams posted:

any suggestions, for python 2, to make program read itself and copy that somewhere else? the idea is that my program makes a thing, and it should make also a script including all the code in it so that one could just run it and replicate the result, given they have installed python and relevant public libraries on their own

Like a quine? I'm not understanding your question, otherwise.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

gonadic io posted:

Today, I found out the reason two machines we have running in a test environment in a public space became unresponsive over the weekend, was because somebody moved the wifi access point (like, physically took the router down and put it in a closet, :wtc:) and so both machines dropped their internet connections like a rock and the little sh script I wrote to have them ping each other and google every 2 minutes to check the wifi and reboot if the connection was dropped, had been firing and rebooting every 2 minutes for 2 days straight on both machines until their SD cards burned out. :getin:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Like a quine? I'm not understanding your question, otherwise.
yeah, that looks like it. i have single file that stores all functions used, and client requires certain functions to produce a copy of both the module file and the executable script. now that i know what it is called like in proper terms, i should be able to find relevant examples. cheers!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

kalstrams posted:

yeah, that looks like it. i have single file that stores all functions used, and client requires certain functions to produce a copy of both the module file and the executable script. now that i know what it is called like in proper terms, i should be able to find relevant examples. cheers!

a quine is more of a programming puzzle, you shouldn't ever need to do it in a real program

most people consider opening argv[0] and dumping the contents to stdout to be cheating in a quine, but that's probably the best way to go about it for you

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats the best open-source/free (pref BSD-like) monospaced font? i wanna just use consolas but cant

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh looks like google has a zillion free fonts

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hack is decent, also source code pro

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Bloody posted:

whats the best open-source/free (pref BSD-like) monospaced font? i wanna just use consolas but cant

Source Code Pro

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/classification/monospaced
take a look here, SIL Open Font License is what you're after

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I code strictly in wingdings and everyone just thinks it's APL

• Locked thread