Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Aww, even with American Dream the USA 1776 scenario is a big ol' mess. The war of independence is a pushover because even if you lose you're still an independent USA, but practically all North American provinces are garbage and you start with no buildings besides 3 forts, so your economic and army support situation is hopeless. I'm amusing myself by conquering natives while the American Dream events go off, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to get the resources to be a real power. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Yeah I'm finding war is less a "have the best army" and more a chess game of dodging and weaving until the time is right. Its kind of fun once you figure out how it works.

So I won the war, yay! Now...how do I give all these territories I DON'T want to like Lithuania or something like that? How do I vassalize the now scattered Teutonic order?

Edit: Pomerania took Danzig, and I want/need Danzig. How do I get that from them peacefully?

You want to give those provinces to Lithuania before the war is over, because you can sell them provinces in the diplomacy menu (for a price of 0 if you want) but it costs you 10 prestige per province and some provinces they aren't interested in. Once you've occupied a province that borders Lithuania if you click on the province there is a button to assign who occupies it. You can switch the province to Lithuania and then just give them the province in the peace deal. You don't want to over feed them too many at once, because you don't want them going over 100 overextension.

Teutonic order aren't going to like you and are historic rivals so if you vassalize them they will have over 50 rebel sentiment and it will be a pain. Never vassalize them as Poland.

Danzig is going to be a big pain now because they are part of the HRE and the emperor (and his allies) will defend them. Your best bet is to hope Teutonic order takes it back (unlikely), or to wait for the emperor to be weak/a smaller country. If it's Austria it's going to be very very challenging.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Aww, even with American Dream the USA 1776 scenario is a big ol' mess. The war of independence is a pushover because even if you lose you're still an independent USA, but practically all North American provinces are garbage and you start with no buildings besides 3 forts, so your economic and army support situation is hopeless. I'm amusing myself by conquering natives while the American Dream events go off, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to get the resources to be a real power. :(

Yeah that's my problem with colonizing now. It used to be too OP to play a former CN or European nation in the Americas because you could effortlessly get 700 base tax and invade europe from a perfect power base. Now it's like, you desperately fight to get to the Americas and colonize like mad and at the end of the day it would have been more effective to conquer 5 or 6 provinces in Europe for every 30 in the Americas.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jastiger posted:

Yeah I'm finding war is less a "have the best army" and more a chess game of dodging and weaving until the time is right. Its kind of fun once you figure out how it works.

So I won the war, yay! Now...how do I give all these territories I DON'T want to like Lithuania or something like that? How do I vassalize the now scattered Teutonic order?

Edit: Pomerania took Danzig, and I want/need Danzig. How do I get that from them peacefully?

You probably don't. The AI doesn't want to get rid of territory any more than you do and there's only a few circumstances under which it will ever give up a province voluntarily. So your options are vassalization or war (or both).

To vassalize peacefully you need to have an alliance and +190 relations with a target quite a lot weaker than yourself, it's under influence options in their diplomacy menu. Pomerania is probably not weak enough that they will agree to be vassalized, especially if they have Danzig. Teutonic Order after a first war might be, but if you conquered any of their core province then they'll be mad about that and will refuse to be your vassals. So the best way would be to declare war again once your truce has expired, vassalize them in the peace deal, use the fact that they have a core province in Danzig to declare war on Pomerania, give Danzig to the Teutons in the peace, then begin to diplomatically annex the Teutons. It'll take a while but probably won't make as much trouble as just trying to immediately grab Danzig yourself. Disregard this, I totally forgot about the historical rivals modifier which is a huge pain in the rear end. In that case yeah it'll be hard to get Danzig.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 6, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

skasion posted:

You probably don't. The AI doesn't want to get rid of territory any more than you do and there's only a few circumstances under which it will ever give up a province voluntarily. So your options are vassalization or war (or both).

To vassalize peacefully you need to have an alliance and +190 relations with a target quite a lot weaker than yourself, it's under influence options in their diplomacy menu. Pomerania is probably not weak enough that they will agree to be vassalized, especially if they have Danzig. Teutonic Order after a first war might be, but if you conquered any of their core province then they'll be mad about that and will refuse to be your vassals. So the best way would be to declare war again once your truce has expired, vassalize them in the peace deal, use the fact that they have a core province in Danzig to declare war on Pomerania, give Danzig to the Teutons in the peace, then begin to diplomatically annex the Teutons. It'll take a while but probably won't make as much trouble as just trying to immediately grab Danzig yourself. Disregard this, I totally forgot about the historical rivals modifier which is a huge pain in the rear end. In that case yeah it'll be hard to get Danzig.

also diplo < admin points. Let someone else do the coring.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'm finding that out. I should have given the Teutonic orders to Lithuania because I was doing well and then...the same thing that happened before happened, they had 3 11 stacks show up and of course, they are led by loving Sun Tzu because no matter how much I out number them or how many modifiers they have, they just kick my punk rear end.

I'm having a ton of fun with this game up until the rebels thing. There is like no way to shut them down or appease them, and if they DO uprise, they are freaking SUPER HARDCORE soldiers that absolutely demolish anything I throw at them. I get the rebels, but I don't get how they are so much more powerful than the armies that I field, especially experienced veteran armies. Oh and then two months later the Southern separatists showed up because I guess free food and autonomy just wasn't good enough for them.

I cored Marienburg and Chelmo, which made sense, they were Polish and had a fort, the rest...yeah whatever. Guess its back to the drawing board again.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Yeah I'm finding that out. I should have given the Teutonic orders to Lithuania because I was doing well and then...the same thing that happened before happened, they had 3 11 stacks show up and of course, they are led by loving Sun Tzu because no matter how much I out number them or how many modifiers they have, they just kick my punk rear end.

I'm having a ton of fun with this game up until the rebels thing. There is like no way to shut them down or appease them, and if they DO uprise, they are freaking SUPER HARDCORE soldiers that absolutely demolish anything I throw at them. I get the rebels, but I don't get how they are so much more powerful than the armies that I field, especially experienced veteran armies. Oh and then two months later the Southern separatists showed up because I guess free food and autonomy just wasn't good enough for them.

I cored Marienburg and Chelmo, which made sense, they were Polish and had a fort, the rest...yeah whatever. Guess its back to the drawing board again.

Other people have a better idea of the exact numbers of things (I have played the game for 1000+ hours, I go by my gut, lmao...) but certain rebels (maybe all rebels except peasants?) get a bonus to moral... I think it's moral. Anyway, your best bet is to station an army in your most vulnerable province that has high rebel risk. By most vulnerable I mean a province in mountains/woods without a fort. When the rebels spawn they will have a -1/-2 terrain modifier and you should be able to handle them with equal numbers. If you have no manpower and have a bunch of provinces with +50% rebel chance, then is the time to raise autonomy in those provinces and suppress rebels with military power. Ideally you shouldn't get into a position where you take so many provinces and are in a precarious situation so that this happens. Keep in mind that feeding lots of provinces to Lithuania is nice and easy, but they can get rebels too.

edit: To add to this, here is a specific example of what I do. Say you have 20 troops as Poland and you have high rebel chance in two provinces that are side by side, put 10 in each and then if rebels spawn in one or the other, immediately reinforce. If they are both grassland it doesn't really matter, but you really want the terrain bonus to help fight rebels.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 6, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good fourth idea set for Spain (after exploration/expansion/quantity)? I'm thinking probably Admin?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good fourth idea set for Spain (after exploration/expansion/quantity)? I'm thinking probably Admin?

I took Admin on my last Spain game and ended up being lukewarm about it. Yeah, it's cheaper cores and makes expanding into Europe a little easier. But I didn't find coring costs to really be my limiting factor (AE and OE moreso) and the mercenary discounts weren't amazing with my huge army from Quantity and being Spain.

Admin is still a good option though. Econ, Influence, another military idea if you can afford it would all work well too.

Humanist, Religious, Trade, Maritime, mehhhh

Edit: also keep in mind you'll be getting Admin Efficiency from tech fairly soon, so you'll have coring discounts from that

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 6, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

I took Admin on my last Spain game and ended up being lukewarm about it. Yeah, it's cheaper cores and makes expanding into Europe a little easier. But I didn't find coring costs to really be my limiting factor (AE and OE moreso) and the mercenary discounts weren't amazing with my huge army from Quantity and being Spain.

Admin is still a good option though. Econ, Influence, another military idea if you can afford it would all work well too.

Yeah, I'm not too jazzed about Admin but it seems like there isn't an obvious choice. Another military idea would be nice but I'm pretty starved for mil points due to a lovely ruler and heir. Influence would be nice to dump diplo points but I don't have a lot of vassals and AE hasn't been a big issue. The inflation reduction from Econ would be great, but the rest of the bonuses aren't very interesting.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
You should pretty much always grab Administrative and Influence. They save you an absurd amount of points, especially in conjunction. A 45% discount on diplo annexations is amazing, not only for the points savings but also the amount of time spent annexing/integrating.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pellisworth posted:

There was one upside to religious I feel is worth mentioning. Since I was playing Poland, I was Catholic, and you get like 3-12 pope points for converting a province. If you grab defender of the faith and start chain converting some provinces you can be rolling in +stability +manpower recovery +diprep bonuses.

Those points were massively useful. I used to think the Orthodox patriarch stuff was decent but it's actually small beans compared to the Catholic bonuses on demand, especially if you get a good source of pope point income.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, I'm not too jazzed about Admin but it seems like there isn't an obvious choice. Another military idea would be nice but I'm pretty starved for mil points due to a lovely ruler and heir. Influence would be nice to dump diplo points but I don't have a lot of vassals and AE hasn't been a big issue. The inflation reduction from Econ would be great, but the rest of the bonuses aren't very interesting.

Economic is great. The inflation reduction will help with keeping the inflation from the treasure fleets low, the autonomy reduction is good, the land maintenance idea is great, and the development cost reduction is also really drat sweet.

Then again, you're playing Spain so you're probably having no trouble getting money and anything that helps with that is pointless. I would say Innovative or Administrative as an admin group, trade, diplomatic, influence or maritime as a diplomatic group.

-Trade would probably help the most with taking advantage of your colonial empire unless you're already getting enough merchants from your CNs and trade companies that you don't know what to do with them. But everything else in the idea group than the merchants is still good to have! Except maybe Caravan Power, but Steering, Trade Efficiency, and Trade Power will all help out.
-Maritime is great for actually supporting your trade network and giving you leeway to also maintain a war fleet (and is also needed for the Thalassocracy decision).
-Innovative is good all around. Prestige decay, technology cost, advisor pool, war exhaustion, leader pool, advisor costs. Probably the widest scope of bonii you can get.
-Administrative, you pretty much just want for the coring cost (and the advisor pool). If you are planning to expand you might want it, doubly so if you have common sense.
-Diplomatic or Influence if you don't care for any of the above. Influence if you plan on making vassals/client states, diplomatic if not.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jastiger posted:

Demand Danzig, start World War II.

No. No. Bad. Bad poster. Stop doing that. You're doing English wrong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rakthar posted:

There was one upside to religious I feel is worth mentioning. Since I was playing Poland, I was Catholic, and you get like 3-12 pope points for converting a province. If you grab defender of the faith and start chain converting some provinces you can be rolling in +stability +manpower recovery +diprep bonuses.

Those points were massively useful. I used to think the Orthodox patriarch stuff was decent but it's actually small beans compared to the Catholic bonuses on demand, especially if you get a good source of pope point income.

Yeah but Spain already gets an extra missionary and tons of MS from NIs and a special Jesuit decision, you can rake in pope points without Religious. Other nations you have a good point.

YF-23 posted:

Economic is great. The inflation reduction will help with keeping the inflation from the treasure fleets low, the autonomy reduction is good, the land maintenance idea is great, and the development cost reduction is also really drat sweet.

Then again, you're playing Spain so you're probably having no trouble getting money and anything that helps with that is pointless. I would say Innovative or Administrative as an admin group, trade, diplomatic, influence or maritime as a diplomatic group.

-Trade would probably help the most with taking advantage of your colonial empire unless you're already getting enough merchants from your CNs and trade companies that you don't know what to do with them. But everything else in the idea group than the merchants is still good to have! Except maybe Caravan Power, but Steering, Trade Efficiency, and Trade Power will all help out.
-Maritime is great for actually supporting your trade network and giving you leeway to also maintain a war fleet (and is also needed for the Thalassocracy decision).
-Innovative is good all around. Prestige decay, technology cost, advisor pool, war exhaustion, leader pool, advisor costs. Probably the widest scope of bonii you can get.
-Administrative, you pretty much just want for the coring cost (and the advisor pool). If you are planning to expand you might want it, doubly so if you have common sense.
-Diplomatic or Influence if you don't care for any of the above. Influence if you plan on making vassals/client states, diplomatic if not.

I dunno why you say in one breath income-related ideas are pointless as Spain, then recommend Trade and Maritime. I think Trade and Maritime are good picks specifically for NON-colonizers, going colonial and particularly as Spain you have more bonus merchants and naval forcelimits than you know what to do with.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 6, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So Paradox posted a screen of the improved Random New World generator on Facebook, and it looks way better. I love that there's a sneaky passage through to Asia too.

Roadie posted:

Finally I've gotten Poland Can Into Space, A Kaiser Not Just In Name, Winged Hussars, and a handful of other achievements incidentally in the process. This is also the first time I've actually played a game all the way through from start to finish. Final tally: 280 provinces, score 13897.

I'm not sure what to do next, but am open to suggestions.

I had a reasonable amount of fun doing A Protected Market and Italian Ambition. As Genoa you ally up with Austria and France, then abuse the hell out of the missions you get to drive mercantilism up. I finished in 1640 or something, then formed Italy just to check the box.

Or when in doubt, Foremost Servitor of Jagganath.

Jastiger posted:

On the topic of rebels: the easy way to get rid of them is to use Local Autonomy. You can raise autonomy in the provinces with unrest, which gives -10 unrest for 10 years or something. But really those rebels aren't all that strong, so it's probably something about your army composition. Make very sure your armies are at full strength before you engage, and do your best to stop them from combining into one mega stack. If they do beat you once, don't despair, you can just hire a bunch of mercenaries and throw them at the enemy.

As for your issues with Pommerania taking Danzig, take Tuchel in the first war, and then warn Pommerania. Once warned, if they attack the one of your shared neighbours (the TO in this case), you can join the war and beat the crap out of them without having to worry about the Emperor getting called in.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 6, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I dunno why you say in one breath income-related ideas are pointless as Spain, then recommend Trade and Maritime. I think Trade and Maritime are good picks specifically for NON-colonizers, going colonial and particularly as Spain you have more bonus merchants and naval forcelimits than you know what to do with.

Income-related ideas might not be great when you're already getting showered in it, but I feel like trade can make enough of a difference to still be worth it. More importantly than the economic ideas' income boosts, trade ideas also mean you're sucking trade income from everyone else. And eventually, even with huge amounts of money you can still find uses for them, like giving huge sums in subsidies to your rivals' enemies. If you're at that point, you're probably going to get more mileage out of trade ideas than economic ones.

And maritime is about more than just the extra cash you'd get by expanding your trade fleet. Hell, the only trade fleet-specific idea in there is light ship combat ability. Everything else in there is just swell for any country that wants a big-time naval presence, without coming at the expense of the opportunity cost to your land forces that Naval ideas are.

Node posted:

No. No. Bad. Bad poster. Stop doing that. You're doing English wrong.

I will never stop.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

So Paradox posted a screen of the improved Random New World generator on Facebook, and it looks way better. I love that there's a sneaky passage through to Asia too.

Oh gently caress, that looks really good now. Wiz is the DLC we never paid for :3:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If you haven't you should start following wiz on twitter. He posts cool stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

PittTheElder posted:

That is pretty cool. I can't tell where the edges of the tiles are at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Jeebus that is pretty. With that and the improvements to custom nations I know where hundreds of hours of mine will be going.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm not sure how overextension and cores work. Every time I take over a territory, it takes a minuscule amount of dipol or admin power to turn it into a core. It doesn't really take that long. Is this a much larger undertaking with giant countries? There seems to be plenty of penalties for overextension but so far it just seems like a checkbox which is easy to avoid.

Also, are colonial regions just the new world, or is it essentially any place that is terra incognita? Like, if I expand my Russia into Siberia naturally, would five provinces turn into a colony that im actually physically neighboring? After I been burned through colonies last time, I figure its something you want to avoid more or less.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Improved random new world looks way better. I love how much this game had changed since release.

On that note, I haven't played a main colonizing power since around release, when I had tons of fun being a wealthy and exploitative Holland, and I want to see what happens with colonization nowadays. I started a France, and they seem to be the most interesting of the big 3, but still too easy. Any suggestions for interesting colonizers that will still be successful? There is the Ottomans but they're also too easy and I've done games as Sweden where I got far in colonizing so not a Nordic country either. Should I do Portugal for the special missions (are they fun?)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Avocados posted:

I'm not sure how overextension and cores work. Every time I take over a territory, it takes a minuscule amount of dipol or admin power to turn it into a core. It doesn't really take that long. Is this a much larger undertaking with giant countries? There seems to be plenty of penalties for overextension but so far it just seems like a checkbox which is easy to avoid.

Also, are colonial regions just the new world, or is it essentially any place that is terra incognita? Like, if I expand my Russia into Siberia naturally, would five provinces turn into a colony that im actually physically neighboring? After I been burned through colonies last time, I figure its something you want to avoid more or less.

If you go over 100 overextension, you get some of the worst events in the game, and the rate at which rebels revolt goes up significantly. Some people said there are even worse events for going over 150? but I can't imagine what would be worse.

Colonial regions are the new world, and Australia. There is a CN mapmode that'll show you.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Improved random new world looks way better. I love how much this game had changed since release.

On that note, I haven't played a main colonizing power since around release, when I had tons of fun being a wealthy and exploitative Holland, and I want to see what happens with colonization nowadays. I started a France, and they seem to be the most interesting of the big 3, but still too easy. Any suggestions for interesting colonizers that will still be successful? There is the Ottomans but they're also too easy and I've done games as Sweden where I got far in colonizing so not a Nordic country either. Should I do Portugal for the special missions (are they fun?)

Granada :q:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Avocados posted:

Coring can get really expensive if you're expanding rapidly and into rich provinces. It sounds like you're playing Russia, and yeah a lot of your coring will seem pretty cheap but that's because it's a lot of fairly poor provinces low in development.

Overextension up to 100% just gives the scaling penalties and isn't a big deal. Over 100% you get loving terrible events and you should only ever go over 100% for like a couple months to hand out provinces to your vassals to bring you back under 100%, it's bad news.

Colonial regions are just the New World and Australia. There are special Trade Companies in Africa and Asia that give similar benefits, but they're not independent like colonial nations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Avocados posted:

Where are you making those cores? Colonies (distant overseas or settled by your colonists) get a massive discount. And it's always admin points to core. If you're trying to core developed provinces on your continent, or directly connected to your capital (see: Ottomans and the Levant, Egypt), it can be quite a bit more expensive, and takes 3 years or so. Which is still pretty easy, but there it is.

quote:

Colonial regions are only in the Americas and Australia. No colonial nations in Siberia.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Avocados posted:

Overextension and coring cost are based mostly on the development level of a provinces.

Very developed land like Paris/London, the Netherlands region, or Northern Italy will cost you a crap ton of Admin points to core normally and will give very high overextension (20-40% per province sometimes)

Cheap lovely land like Northern Scandanavia, or the Central Arabian Peninsula will be dirt cheap and gives almost no overextension. Provinces that are overseas can be cored at a huge discount because you will not be able to reduce them below 75% autonomy.

As far as colonial nations go, they only form in specific regions, not all Terra Incognita in general. Colonial nations will form in North and South America, as well as Australia. Additionally, CN's will not form if they are on the same continent as your Capital, or if you have a direct land route to the province. This is how some people can unite North and South America under one TAG. Trade Companies are another mechanic and they can only be formed by westernized nations in Sub-Saharan Africa, India, Southeast Asia and the coast of East Asia. Trade companies will give you boosted trade power, extra income, special events, and let you keep direct control of the provinces in exchange for penalties to manpower and taxes in the province.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's a colonial regions map mode that shows you exactly where colonial nations form. They don't form in areas that aren't part of a CR.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sindai posted:

That is pretty cool. I can't tell where the edges of the tiles are at all.

I'm guessing that is a single 'mega' tile map. I don't think (I may be wrong) that it can snap landmasses together so all tiles will be separated by sea.

Looks good though!

EDIT: It does make me hope that it will be easy to mod a 'Random World' mode too...

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 6, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you hand out provinces to your vassals?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jastiger posted:

Diplomacy menu -> Economy -> Sell Province

Generally they will accept a province if its their religion or culture (or one of your cores, but that would be counterproductive in most cases.) And it needs to be in their coring range (adjacent to one of their cores.) If it isn't any of those, they won't want it. Or something along those lines. They will tell you why they don't want it if that is the case.

Also, if you are at war, you can directly hand control of a conquered province to a vassal that has land adjacent to the conquered province, whether they like it or not. Then accept peace and they'll have control of it. That button is somewhere on the province display while at war. Note that you may have to take care of separatists for them if they aren't powerful enough to handle them on their own.

Node fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 6, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
And just in case it isn't obvious, the bigger/more developed the vassal is, the more diplomacy points it'll cost to annex them. And you almost always want to give a vassal's cores to them in peace, since they don't even need to spend admin on them, since they're already cored. That is what people call "vassal feeding."

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is going to be a very good patch, and we don't even have details on the DLC yet.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fuligin posted:

This is going to be a very good patch, and we don't even have details on the DLC yet.

It's gonna have mongols in it!

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Fuligin posted:

We know a bit like Revancishm and stuff right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Node posted:

Also, if you are at war, you can directly hand control of a conquered province to a vassal that has land adjacent to the conquered province, whether they like it or not. Then accept peace and they'll have control of it. That button is somewhere on the province display while at war. Note that you may have to take care of separatists for them if they aren't powerful enough to handle them on their own.

Just for the record, you won't be able to do this Jastiger, as Transfer Occupation is a paid feature of the Art of War DLC. You can still sell them provinces though.

Q: Does anyone know if the AI still transfers provinces to you if you don't have AoW?

Node posted:

And just in case it isn't obvious, the bigger/more developed the vassal is, the more diplomacy points it'll cost to annex them. And you almost always want to give a vassal's cores to them in peace, since they don't even need to spend admin on them, since they're already cored. That is what people call "vassal feeding."

Vassal feeding is particularly amazing in Poland's case (and Spain's, with Aragon), because you have a decision that allows you inherit Lithuania, without having to integrate them normally. So feed Lithuania as much as you possibly can (don't put them over 100% overextension though), and they'll spend their points to core it for you. Then you inherit it for free at Admin tech 10 when you form the Commonwealth.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 6, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Last Emperor posted:

We know a bit like Revancishm and stuff right?

And internal politics! Hopefully done in a more interesting way than Common Sense's parliaments.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Just for the record, you won't be able to do this Jastiger, as Transfer Occupation is a paid feature of the Art of War DLC. You can still sell them provinces though.

You really really really really want Art of War, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fuligin posted:

We need a name for the disease when you really want to play a game of EUIV (or some other Paradox game) but you're holding off because the next patch/dlc sounds so cool that you don't want to play. :smith:

• Locked thread