Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's at the beginning of every manual. :v:

The main reason you want to do that is to ensure the flat side of your cutters will rest on the plastic when you do the final snip, since that leaves the least amount of residue to trim/sand. Sometimes you can do that without needing to do a double cut, but sometimes the piece is so imprisoned in plastic you need to do some finagling first.

It's a good idea for curves and parts where the nub is right next to some raised detail too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, you don't cut flush with the part because it will stress the plastic. You cut once close to the sprue, then cut most of the excess off, then pare it down with a hobby knife, then sand it flush.

That's assuming you want to do it "right" and minimise gate marks, of course. There's nothing stopping you from cutting flush if you want to do it quick and dirty. :v:

You're actually supposed to twist the parts off with your hands and cut the bit off with a kitchen knife, if you want the strongest and toughest robot possible.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

put this in the op, tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyY1yfC8p4&t=564s

If you're just starting out building Gunpla, unironically watch this right now. It's even tagged to skip to the relevant bits so you don't spoil anything about the show for when you go back and watch it through.

Cartoons aren't real, we're talking about real toy robot fights against real toy godzillas here.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
my 18 meter war machines aren't meant for fighting, they're meant for peace

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

my 18 meter war machines aren't meant for fighting, they're meant for peace

Exercises of Martial Prowess can be a fun and engaging way to improve the mind and body without committing actual violence.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Midjack posted:

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."
I Corinthinans 13:11, NIV

niv > nrsv

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I will not support the fascist war machine, just actual fascist war machines

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Cthulu Carl posted:

He looks so excited to have that hammer. In combat, it's probably going to look like Baylor's fat guy scoring a touchdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLLXoqOrC88

I see an angry guy wearing a frog hat. Both are good.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
GOD HAND nippers leave no marks. Hand finished Japanese steel wins again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What are some recommendations for matte spray? Looking at a few blogs I see Japanese brands, and I'm not sure I can track those down locally.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly the Japanese stuff probably is the best, but you'll have to eat markups. Krylon is the budget option (and I emphasize budget), so I guess you're stuck with Testors?

If you have an airbrush, you can mix Pledge Multisurface Floor Polish with some sort of flat particle to make your own topcoat I guess.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Shinjobi posted:

What are some recommendations for matte spray? Looking at a few blogs I see Japanese brands, and I'm not sure I can track those down locally.

I use Future mixed with Tamiya flat base. It self levels and is airbrush compatible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Testors Dullcote if you're in the US. In Europe, Army Painter matte spray works pretty well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

I use Future mixed with Tamiya flat base. It self levels and is airbrush compatible.

What are your ratios of Future to Flat to Thinner? If any thinner at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Complete Guide to Future posted:

Future does produce a glossy finish so many modelers will introduce a flattening material or only use it as a pre-decal sealer. If you wish to use flattened Future as a final coat here are a couple of suggested ratios of Tamiya flat base for different effects:
1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin
If you get too much of anybody's flat base on the surface of your model you run the risk of making it all go white. No thinning is required just make sure it is well mixed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

And takes FOREVER to cure. I used the ratios BB reposted above and after a week of curing I was still scratching the paint off when parts lightly brushed each other.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I tried using testors dullcoat before and it made my gundam marker paint bleed. Any particular reason that would happen/steps to prevent that? I've been afraid to do anything sense.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the solvent base for the Testors? I think Gundam markers are acrylic, which won't hold up to solvents in enamels.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Yawgmoft posted:

I tried using testors dullcoat before and it made my gundam marker paint bleed. Any particular reason that would happen/steps to prevent that? I've been afraid to do anything sense.

Testors dull coat is lacquer based and does not play nice with gundam markers, although you can get away with it if you're careful not to apply to much at once.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Midjack posted:

And takes FOREVER to cure. I used the ratios BB reposted above and after a week of curing I was still scratching the paint off when parts lightly brushed each other.

This is not consistent with my experience.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

Is it very humid or hot where you live? That usually happens if the humidity is high.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Is it very humid or hot where you live? That usually happens if the humidity is high.

February winter in DC.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What kind of paint do these markers use, and can be removed with rubbing alcohol?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nobody really knows, and no not really.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Lacquer, same as all of the Mr. Color paints, and you can remove it with 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol. Denatured won't do the trick. They also sell "eraser" pens which are something like 97% iso.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

Lacquer, same as all of the Mr. Color paints, and you can remove it with 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol. Denatured won't do the trick. They also sell "eraser" pens which are something like 97% iso.

Thanks!

Also, are these ok for small details like the 00 Gundam's v-fin (the stickers for the HG are bleh)? It might not be as good as hand painting, but it'll get the job done I guess.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Spotted this on Kotaku this morning:

More

:perfect:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 8, 2015

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

How do you scribe lines that cleanly?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There's thick plastic tape you can use which is basically an adhesive straight edge. Or just with anything straight

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bloody Pom posted:

Spotted this on Kotaku this morning:

More

:perfect:

:eyepop: link isn't working but love R2!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: link isn't working but love R2!
Stupid phone. Try it now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

drat, looking good! Reminds me of the muscle Diglett pics. :3:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I love how he went through the trouble of modelling all of R2's little greebles and gadgets.

The cattle prod stowed in the ankle armor :kimchi:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Luminaflare posted:

How do you scribe lines that cleanly?

Dymo tape, the stuff they use for rotary plastic labelers. Get the multipacks they're cheaper. Conversely use triple masking tape to create a "wall" to follow. If you have 20+ of experience modelling you should be able to freehand straight lines.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I got this super cheap while I was on vacation!

I broke one of the cannons on the front nose guns. Apparently all the joints on this are a pain and a half to keep from breaking the damned thing cuz the plastic is too close together. It might just be the fact it's old though. Other than that it's pretty solid for an actual transforming and combining ZZ Gundam toy.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Surprise call for a job interview in two hours.

Smashed out an updated resume, had a shower, ironed my best pants, realised my shoes were scuffed and I had no polish. Black gundam marker saves the day. These things are USEFUL.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Gunpla truly is freedom.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

ScottyWired posted:

Smashed out an updated resume, had a shower, ironed my best pants, realised my shoes were scuffed and I had no polish. Black gundam marker saves the day. These things are USEFUL.

I hope you remembered to panel line your pants while you were at it.

Reds fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 8, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reds posted:

I hope you remembered to panel line your pants while you were at it.

ScottyWired's Interview Suit: Animation Colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ScottyWired posted:

I hope you get Katoki to tailor your suits.