Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Funso Banjo posted:

It is.

But it has never been a min-max option for the serious player in anything but niche circumstances. You can take it if you want, of course.

I meant not having them always activate

I thought you were forced to use all skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I meant not having them always activate

I thought you were forced to use all skills?

You can set skills to ask you whether you want to activate them or not.

Can somebody tell me how to do that in Chaos Edition? I want to set Wrassle to ask for the potential of the Both Down turnover fun, but I don't know where to set it.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

TheMcD posted:

You can set skills to ask you whether you want to activate them or not.

Can somebody tell me how to do that in Chaos Edition? I want to set Wrassle to ask for the potential of the Both Down turnover fun, but I don't know where to set it.

Go into the options screen at the main menu. There should be a tab for skills.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I think this might be a display bug, but I'm not 100% sure.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gaghskull posted:

Go into the options screen at the main menu. There should be a tab for skills.

Oh, right, the options screen is actually a thing and the main menu doesn't just exist for me to click "Multiplayer" at. Forgot about that. Thanks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Haroshia posted:

I think this might be a display bug, but I'm not 100% sure.

I for one choose to believe in the 50% successful block to injury rate!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like getting 3 rerolls and an apoc off the bat beats a rogre start, but they should definitely be next in the purchase order. Provided you play it safe for a game or two you should be able to get the rogre soon.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

The Bee posted:

I feel like getting 3 rerolls and an apoc off the bat beats a rogre start, but they should definitely be next in the purchase order. Provided you play it safe for a game or two you should be able to get the rogre soon.

The only time you should even consider apo start is if youre in a weekly league.
In open play you just reroll your team if important guys die in your first 1-2 games before getting the apo.

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 6, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

iSurrender posted:

The only time you should even consider apo start is if youre in a weekly league.
In open play you just reroll your team if important guys die in your first 1-2 games before getting the apo.

These are the words of a sissy man that rerolls the team if it has a bad start. Real men see their gunner suffer death by tripping while going for it into the end zone and applaud their death as a worthy sacrifice unto Nuffle. Then they start coming up with cool names for the next one.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

The Bee posted:

Keep in mind, most of my skaven experience is through tournaments, which play very differently than the open play that most people are talking about. You may get murder chaos/orc teams in open play, but there just isn't enough time to see those teams develop skills in a tournament.

Also, always start with big guys unless you are orcs. Big guys means the coach is a funhaver. And Nuffle, capricious as he may be, shows his favor upon funhaver teams. When a kroxigor intercepts, you know the Nuffle has been there.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

FoolyCharged posted:

These are the words of a sissy man that rerolls the team if it has a bad start. Real men see their gunner suffer death by tripping while going for it into the end zone and applaud their death as a worthy sacrifice unto Nuffle. Then they start coming up with cool names for the next one.

Then go ahead and just do that without an apo for the first 1-2 games instead. Still no case for an apo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jade Star posted:

There are no runners on an orc team.

Also not starting with a troll? Ew.

I started with 1 troll, 4 black orcs, 4 blitzers, 1 lineman, 1 gob, and 2 RR. For i think 990k or 100k.

Yeah the first game fielding a goblin kind of sucks, but it's one game at the start and then you can buy a lineman to replace him, or a thrower if you do well on winnings.

In any case, I can't understand either of your starts because you're missing the troll in both, and a blitzer in the one of them. I guess the cost is being eaten up by a thrower, which you really don't need early on. Or arguably ever. I'd have to go check the money, but I think you could get 4Bobs, 4 blitzers, and 3 linemen with 3RRs. That sounds like a better start if you really hate the troll.

The quintessential starter Orcs were 4 Blitzers, 4 Black Orcs, 1 Thrower (sure hands is a cool skill), 2 Linos, and 3 RRs, with 10k left towards an apo after first game. Orcs are tough enough that the odds of living through 1-2 games without losing anybody are pretty good. BB2 nerfed Orcs by making their Blitzers cost 10k more, meaning you either have to downgrade one Blitzer to a lino or give up a reroll on your starting team.

Trolls and Goblins are pretty bad players in general and not super necessary for an Orc team. You would basically never start with a Troll and it's debatable that you would ever really want him. You've got no shortage of buff dudes with Strength access, and Trolls come with a lot of baggage in terms of reliability and TV inflation to give your team more of what it already has in spades.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
You also have the option of keeping everything you used to have but replace the Thrower with a Goblin to start. This is super appealing to me, personally.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Shout-out to BB2 for not making a sound when you finally get matched. 390k petty gone.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Stagger_Lee posted:

You also have the option of keeping everything you used to have but replace the Thrower with a Goblin to start. This is super appealing to me, personally.

Sure Hands is a pretty good skill, though I guess having a stunty dodger as your designated cage man isn't exactly hitler either.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I kinda like goblins and trolls. You get an extra "thrower", a stunty dodger, and an even harder to penetrate line of dudes.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Bee posted:

I kinda like goblins and trolls. You get an extra "thrower", a stunty dodger, and an even harder to penetrate line of dudes.

Trolls are great on paper and if they're in the right position they can be a huge pain in the rear end. The issue is that you can't ever count on them being where they need to be, doing the thing you need them to be doing. Guard makes them a lot better since they can contribute just by standing there (as long as they're awake), but they're still vulnerable to being stuck out of position and burdened by issues of practicality. In TV-matched perpetual leagues, the 130 TV for a Guard Troll could be Guard or another good skill on six of your players who don't have to roll dice to do anything, and in a shorter tournament you're going to struggle to even get the Troll that far since you won't be buying him for several games and they level slowly.

Orc teams also kinda fall apart once they start having to deal with developed Claw murder squads (they rely pretty heavily on their AV 9 and don't have the tools to reliably remove tough ClawPOMB dudes before half their team is off the pitch), so TV bloat is something you probably want to pay attention to even if you aren't going full tryhard unless you want some 2k Chaos team to do the trimming for you.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
So if you pile-on a dude you just KO'd, you can actually revive him a bit so he's just stunned? Not sure this skill is good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
A Goblin makes a lot of sense as a ball carrier instead of a Thrower on orc teams if you're of a particular mind. They come with Dodge, have +1 MA vs Throwers, and are 30k cheaper. Stunty also means that dodging doesn't get harder with TZs, so getting through screens that have dudes without Tackle is actually a pretty even bet with a Goblin, and that's not something that people expect an Orc team to pull out.

Their big problem is that they don't come with Sure Hands and they need dubs to get it. And then another dubs to get Blodge if you consider that critical, but honestly for a ball carrier I would not consider it a huge thing. Dedicated runners like that simply should not be taking enough hits for it to be a problem. Goblins are also nice in that you can keep them off the pitch on defensive drives and lose nothing, just shove another lineorc in there and call it a day.

Also a Goblin with Catch and an orc Thrower makes for an actually legitimate passing threat if you want your orcs to play some elfball every now and then.

Tortuga posted:

So if you pile-on a dude you just KO'd, you can actually revive him a bit so he's just stunned? Not sure this skill is good.
So don't pile on a KO? You've already removed him from the pitch, why would you pile on a KO unless you're trying to collect a bounty or something?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tortuga posted:

Piling On is a really good skill. You just have to be mindful of how you use it, and you generally don't want to use it on KO's unless you're feeling extra saucy or it's a niggled stunty player or something.

Also your Piling On dude has a massive bullseye on his back and ends a lot of his own turns on the ground, so maybe keep tabs on their guy with Dirty Player before you send him off hunting down their positionals by himself.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

So don't pile on a KO? You've already removed him from the pitch, why would you pile on a KO unless you're trying to collect a bounty or something?

I didn't do it, I don't have pile on on anyone, just thought is was funny when someone did it to my ogre. If it's not mandatory to pile on, more fool him I guess.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Nasgate posted:

Shout-out to BB2 for not making a sound when you finally get matched. 390k petty gone.

Bob and Jim always say something about it when you get matched.

And a question, is there any way of not having juggernaut always on in BB2? Sometimes I don't want to make that both down a push...

ProZocK fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 6, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tortuga posted:

The ball and chain can whack a stunned player back to reality, at least in Fumbbl's interpretation of the rules.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I am playing a match right now against high elves where I got the ball on his drive and was proceeded to stall near the end zone. He is throwing a fit by leaving all of his players on the ground and letting the entire 2 minutes run out. I am responding by gang fouling everyone he has. It's weird and wonderful.

Edit - He got tired of his temper tantrum and disconnected.

Jester Mcgee fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 6, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tortuga posted:

I didn't do it, I don't have pile on on anyone, just thought is was funny when someone did it to my ogre. If it's not mandatory to pile on, more fool him I guess.

Strictly speaking, you can choose not to use ANY skill - like, you can choose to not use Catch to reroll grabbing a bouncing ball if you'd prefer that it scatters again. Cyanide's games do an atrocious job of allowing you to exercise that right, but yeah, they manage to get it right on Piling On at least. If you knock down someone it always asks if you if you want to Pile On. The guy who did it to you probably assumed you get the better of the two injury rolls, but nope. It's a straight reroll, take the latter result. Sucks to be him for pushing his luck like that.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Tortuga posted:

It's not mandatory, but at least in BB1 it was always on by default, which meant that if you weren't aware you could change that option you'd be rerolling all those ko's into stuns and regretting your really bad skill choice.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Not bothering to pick your guys up is a classic sulk tactic, but running down the clock is just rude.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Jester Mcgee posted:

I am playing a match right now against high elves where I got the ball on his drive and was proceeded to stall near the end zone. He is throwing a fit by leaving all of his players on the ground and letting the entire 2 minutes run out. I am responding by gang fouling everyone he has. It's weird and wonderful.

Edit - He got tired of his temper tantrum and disconnected.

This is the true online bb experience. Never set the timer to more than 2 min.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Also for the newbies, piling on a KO is called "pulling a studman".

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ZigZag posted:

This is the true online bb experience. Never set the timer to more than 2 min.

It is odd that we have four minute turns in goonleague. Not that anyone ever takes remotely that long.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

The guy who did it to you probably assumed you get the better of the two injury rolls, but nope. It's a straight reroll, take the latter result. Sucks to be him for pushing his luck like that.

This would make sense though. If you pile on a dead guy, can you reanimate him?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Tortuga posted:

Yeah, absolutely.

I'm a big dumbo answers totally thought you could reroll any injury roll regardless. I guess you can't re roll Casualties though.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Tortuga posted:

You can't Pile On a Casualty

piling on a KO to try and get a CAS is the proest move in blood bowl

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

I'm sold on the pile-on, should be my next skill on the ogre and the sacrificial linemen.

On a side note as it's just happened to me, It's really cool that BB2 gives you a 3 minute window to reconnect if your game crashes, but in the future hopefully they will make it so it's possible to actually rejoin the loving game when you log back in. :arghfist:

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Talmonis posted:

It is odd that we have four minute turns in goonleague. Not that anyone ever takes remotely that long.

We use 4 minute turns in orca cola too and it's fine in a league setting so you have time to chat and you can sanction assholes.

But the reality of cyanide bb is that most matches are match making against people that doesn't understand that fouling, stalling and claw pomb are completely normal parts of the game.
If you are lucky they will just rage quit instead of running out the timer while calling you a human being.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tortuga posted:

I'm sold on the pile-on, should be my next skill on the ogre and the sacrificial linemen.

Woah, you don't want it on your linemen. In almost every case that is badly sub-optimal.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even sure you'd want Piling On on an Ogre either. He's not even going to stand back up 100% of the time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah you don't want to put PO on a big guy, but putting it on a lineman is perfectly fine. The traditional use is on a Blitzer, though, since they will be hitting people a lot and they're valuable enough that you don't really want them to get hit that often in return. When they're on the ground they can be fouled, but if someone is pulling in enough resources to do a good gang-foul you can simply not pile on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Talmonis posted:

If you're playing properly you will need that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Talmonis posted:

I took four+ minutes to finish a turn the other day with a Khemri team I've played over 100 games with. On fumbbl where I'm guessing a lot less time is lost to unnecessary animations.

Sure it is probably only the 2nd time that's happened in 100 games, but 2 minute turns are way too short for games against non-afking cry babies and even 3 minutes could lead to feeling cheated because you took 1 minute turns for 15/16 turns and then got timed out at 3 minutes on a single crucial turn.

• Locked thread