Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

Are solo and online mods linked? If I get a new ship in solo mode, does it carry over to online?

Yeah, all your stuff is across all modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Are solo and online mods linked? If I get a new ship in solo mode, does it carry over to online?

Yep. Everything carries over between all modes, which makes a lot of people really mad (still).

Also, one of the winners from the paintjob competition:

The viper is nice deep red/black combination but the last three were pretty tepid.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There was a paint competition? drat.

Here's to hoping we get poo poo worth flying now. The only paint job I have that I liked was the onion head job for the cobra.. but I fly a vulture now.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lima posted:

Yep. Everything carries over between all modes, which makes a lot of people really mad (still).

Also, one of the winners from the paintjob competition:

The viper is nice deep red/black combination but the last three were pretty tepid.

I wonder how many emails this dude is going to get since they accidentally showed it on-stream?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

That Medusa skin is glorious!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYv5ri9yN18

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That little fighter sounds sexy as gently caress.

Loved the part where he accidentally bounced off of the asteroid.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm experiencing extremely long load times when jumping between systems. Between 4-8x as long as it used to take. Anybody else?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The servers will be getting hammered.

I'm just going to wait until tomorrow, should be a bit more sane by then.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to deal in human misery for profit, taking lucrative slave trading missions until I could get a Cobra. I've since been running rare trade loops and slowly upgrading out of the shitfit that was all I could afford to start, finally managed to get the cash together to bring the friendship drive up to A4 for decentish jump ranges with a full hold. Next on the list is exploration scanners; once I get those fitted I'm good to roll out there and explore around for the good of all goonkind.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

LCL-Dead posted:

That little fighter sounds sexy as gently caress.

Yeah. Just listen to the thing wooshing by on around 1:00

FDEV should get that audio award here imo.
http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/vote/

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Where do I find paint/livery schemes? I've never seen it available so far, though I haven't explored too much.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Leif. posted:

Where do I find paint/livery schemes? I've never seen it available so far, though I haven't explored too much.

They cost real money: https://www.frontierstore.net/

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
You find them on your credit card.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Played a bit of CQC, very nice. I can kill people pretty good, but my k/d ratio is horrible ; once someone starts shooting at me I can't shake them. Any advice besides get good?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

Played a bit of CQC, very nice. I can kill people pretty good, but my k/d ratio is horrible ; once someone starts shooting at me I can't shake them. Any advice besides get good?

If you're in the condor then put full pips in engines at all times unless you're shooting at someone and can spare some speed for firepower. Zoom and strafe and go fast like sonic at all times. Stay close to cover. Never go in the open, that's where sidewinder does best. And use power ups. Like nonstop. Just keep going back for power ups.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
i bought logitech 3d extreme pro whatever mentioned in the op because i'm a stupid goon. i've been unable to figure out a good key binding map so any recommendations?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's the consensus on reverse throttle controls on a HOTAS? I'm currently using my X52 as a full range forward throttle, with a reverse toggle button for reverse thrusters. Looking at Youtube vids of folks mastering FA mode makes me think that having throttle forward/half reverse might be better, as well as free up the toggle button for something else. I hope these words make sense to space nerds.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Also, steal kills whenever possible and never not ram people. Turning with FA off and boosting toward the enemy is good for shaking most pursuers. Getting the reverse resistance shields give you a nice amount of survivability against the newbie lasers.

The newbie pulse lasers get effective a bit closer than a km, and you can take out another condor fairly quickly with one charge, but changing one out for a plasma gun at level 10 lets you really gently caress up anyone flying toward you, with the bonus of drawing almost no power.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Just fired up the xbone version to see if anything had changed from game preview - so far the only thing I can tell is that the ship stays at full throttle coming out of frame shift. Very glad that I was on my toes as my ship came out of warp and proceeded to accelerate straight into a star.

Why did anyone think that was a good change to make?!

edit: I'm about 4000ly out and suddenly jumping from star to star is nerve racking rather than the sedate, relaxing experience I'm used to :(

Fake Name fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2015

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

chaosapiant posted:

What's the consensus on reverse throttle controls on a HOTAS? I'm currently using my X52 as a full range forward throttle, with a reverse toggle button for reverse thrusters. Looking at Youtube vids of folks mastering FA mode makes me think that having throttle forward/half reverse might be better, as well as free up the toggle button for something else. I hope these words make sense to space nerds.

I started out with a THRUSTMASTER HOTAS X and upgraded to a 52pro, so it was a no brainer for me set my new throttle up as a forward/reverse because that's how my old one was. It makes CQC a lot easier because you can do reverse barrel rolls with FA off really fast and feel like a badass (especially if you thrust vertically at the same time). The only issue I have is the X52 has no friction in the middle, so I just set up a small dead-zone of about 8% and my brain figured out pretty fast where the throttle equals zero. It's actually kind of cool because the little friction click it does at high speeds (both forward and reverse) are now exactly where the blue ends in my velocity, so I know exactly where my best maneuverability is.

I hope that was enough nerd-talk and helped you out a bit.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fake Name posted:

Just fired up the xbone version to see if anything had changed from game preview - so far the only thing I can tell is that the ship stays at full throttle coming out of frame shift. Very glad that I was on my toes as my ship came out of warped and proceeded to accelerate straight into a star.

Why did anyone think that was a good change to make?!

Afaik frameshift leaves your throttle where it was at when you went into frameshift. You can throttle down while in frameshift mode.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

chaosapiant posted:

Pretty sure there's no consensus. I struggled with working out the best way to do this. Still not sure.

Am using a Warthog throttle, but it's the same principle - do you go zero in the middle and the obvious forward/backward thing, or the whole range of the throttle for magnitude, and a 'reverse' toggle?

I went with the second option, mostly 'cause it's more car-like, but what we really need is a throttle with a huge range, and a noticeable centre stop-point. Sadly, throttles are modelled off plane controls, which can't fly backwards...

xiansi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 6, 2015

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you like the G13 then keep using it. I own one and vastly prefer the Pro Throttle, but at the end of the day it's all muscle memory and whatever suits you. A used one would be fine if you can get it, although a new one comes with a 1 year warranty but you have to ship the thing to CA which can be a pain.

Great, I'll see if I can hunt down a used CH stick. Alternatively I can wait for Cyber Monday and Boxing Day to see if any of those are discounted. This said, the last game I played using a joystick was StarLancer so it's probably going to be a long learning experience.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Goddamn I cannot find an Imperial Eagle anywhere.

Anyone else having better luck?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I'm using a HOTAS button to thrust full speed backwards instead. You usually don't need the full range of thrust, just holding it down to manouver\go backward, and tapping it to align on the landing pad has worked out great for me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rectus posted:

I'm using a HOTAS button to thrust full speed backwards instead. You usually don't need the full range of thrust, just holding it down to manouver\go backward, and tapping it to align on the landing pad has worked out great for me.

How does this translate for FA mode where you apparently need to be very gentle since inertia is doing all the work?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

How does this translate for FA mode where you apparently need to be very gentle since inertia is doing all the work?

That mostly applies to turning. It might be a problem if you want to keep flying backwards while keeping the optimal turn speed though, but I'm not sure how useful that is as a manouver.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

chaosapiant posted:

With my CH pedals, I use the left pedal's axis for reverse (now to be confused with the sliding axis, which I use for yaw).

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Finally got into a Cobra

gently caress this separation. I can't hit anything with both lasers at once. Back to the Viper.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Finally got into a Cobra

gently caress this separation. I can't hit anything with both lasers at once. Back to the Viper.

gimble your poo poo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Professor Bling posted:

Goddamn I cannot find an Imperial Eagle anywhere.

Anyone else having better luck?

Fabian City, HIP 20277

Also Fed Assault Ship review: I really like the Fed Assault Ship

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 7, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Finally got into a Cobra

For straight up fighting, Viper > Cobra. Unless you run away a lot.

Then you need money for a Diamondback Scout, and then an Imp Courier...wish I'd had all those options for early-game combat ships at launch - you are spoiled!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I love that CQC is more comprehensive, coherent, and interesting than Arena Commander, with markedly better online performance and stability, despite being a fun extra in a huge (if empty)open world, against Arena Commander being the sum total of everything SC has put out so far.

It's a huge boot to the balls at this point. I love it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yay, trying to update and every loving ship has some kind of file receiving a validation error..

Deleting them as they get pointed out and hoping the launcher patches them back in. Wish me luck.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Other than the player factions blue-balling, this update owns. Mining is so much more fun and time effective now! Can't wait until they loving nerf that because fun is never allowed :suicide:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Literally Kermit posted:

Other than the player factions blue-balling, this update owns. Mining is so much more fun and time effective now! Can't wait until they loving nerf that because fun is never allowed :suicide:

Care to give a quick rundown of the how/why/where of mining in this release?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Crimson Harvest posted:

Care to give a quick rundown of the how/why/where of mining in this release?

Get a refinery. The more bins, the better. It is all automatic now as long as there are empty bins

Get a collector control module. Make sure it is size three. 3A is best, drones from it last 12 minutes and you can have two at once. You can have another module and another two drones at once, but launch them from a different fire group (you can't launch two at the same time)

If possible, put on a prospector module. It can be a size 1, they tell you what a rock has and may also boost yield

Get as much cargo space you can. Go to the munitions screen and buy "limpets", enough to fill a little more than half your cargo space.

go to the Frey system, fourth world. It has a pristine metallic ring and is not far from 63 G. Capricorni

Oh wait, did you equip mining lasers? gently caress. Luckily there is a station that sells them 62 ls away. Go there and get some, refuel, etc

Back at Frey 4, head to the inner-most ring. Set up your fire groups so you can launch a prospector, mining lasers, etc. you will need some lasers for killin' unless you got friends at your back. I slap on a KWS so you can scan pirates- yeah, go back to the station. And learn to read all instructions before starting things.

Okay, back at Frey 4, inner ring, here we go: fire a prospector. Ignore any failure messages, surprise, it is bugged. If your cargo scoop is open, it will briefly close it to program and launch the limpet (drone). Switch groups and get your collectors out. Oh boy!

Once launched, the prospector is selectable and if you are smarter than you look, will actually hit the rock. It will tell you what types of elements are in it, how much, and how much left until the rock is depleted. Shop around and look for gold, platinum, palladium, osmium, and jesus christ yes, painite. Plenty of other metals and minerals here to grab but try to make sure you prioritize any of those five.

Get somewhat close. Fire mining lasers into rock. Make sure cargo scoop is open. Now the fun part - watch your refinery and cargo hold slowly fill up! When depleted, move on and go back two steps and repeat.

Hold full? Take dat pure profit to a high tech or a refinery. I suggest Xihe which is a high tech refinery. Now check the bulletin board for mining missions. If you have the minerals take and complete for not only massive increases of money, but reputation and eventually rank missions as well!

When you get tired of gaming the bulletin board (missions reroll regularly) sell your other minerals and metals at the market and head back out! Hi-ho!

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 7, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

ShineDog posted:

gimble your poo poo

I really like fixed beams but also I can't find a place selling gimbaled. Heading to the Land of Avril and hoping I can find some. My Viper is parked 6 jumps if I really feel like grabbing it instead.

xiansi posted:

For straight up fighting, Viper > Cobra. Unless you run away a lot.

Then you need money for a Diamondback Scout, and then an Imp Courier...wish I'd had all those options for early-game combat ships at launch - you are spoiled!

Yeh Courier is my next ship because I likea the shooting

I think my next step is to get gimbaled lasers, the best thrusters because hooly poo poo Cobras defaults are terrible and its a slug, then hopefully run illegal cargo to money up while blowing up dudes for variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Literally Kermit posted:

Get a refinery. The more bins, the better. It is all automatic now as long as there are empty bins

Get a collector control module. Make sure it is size three. 3A is best, drones from it last 12 minutes and you can have two at once. You can have another module and another two drones at once, but launch them from a different fire group (you can't launch two at the same time)

If possible, put on a prospector module. It can be a size 1, they tell you what a rock has and may also boost yield

Get as much cargo space you can. Go to the munitions screen and buy "limpets", enough to fill a little more than half your cargo space.

go to the Frey system, fourth world. It has a pristine metallic ring and is not far from 63 G. Capricorni

Oh wait, did you equip mining lasers? gently caress. Luckily there is a station that sells them 62 ls away. Go there and get some, refuel, etc

Back at Frey 4, head to the inner-most ring. Set up your fire groups so you can launch a prospector, mining lasers, etc. you will need some lasers for killin' unless you got friends at your back. I slap on a KWS so you can scan pirates- yeah, go back to the station. And learn to read all instructions before starting things.

Okay, back at Frey 4, inner ring, here we go: fire a prospector. Ignore any failure messages, surprise, it is bugged. If your cargo scoop is open, it will briefly close it to program and launch the limpet (drone). Switch groups and get your collectors out. Oh boy!

Once launched, the prospector is selectable and if you are smarter than you look, will actually hit the rock. It will tell you what types of elements are in it, how much, and how much left until the rock is depleted. Shop around and look for gold, platinum, palladium, osmium, and jesus christ yes, painite. Plenty of other metals and minerals here to grab but try to make sure you prioritize any of those five.

Get somewhat close. Fire mining lasers into rock. Make sure cargo scoop is open. Now the fun part - watch your refinery and cargo hold slowly fill up! When depleted, move on and go back two steps and repeat.

Hold full? Take dat pure profit to a high tech or a refinery. I suggest Xihe which is a high tech refinery. Now check the bulletin board for mining missions. If you have the minerals take and complete for not only massive increases of money, but reputation and eventually rank missions as well!

When you get tired of gaming the bulletin board (missions reroll regularly) sell your other minerals and metals at the market and head back out! Hi-ho!

Think I'm going to outfit a minerconda and roll out that way :cheers:

• Locked thread