Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Well, they are the best romances ever written in an RPG, so... I figure it's worth talking about.

I liked Keira's one. A lot, she's a neat character.

To the point that I sort of wish I could go back in time and un-see her fate if you don't do that thing you need to do (it's pretty obvious). I saw it the first time and didn't really understand it then I made the mistake of looking at the spoiler image again... It was a Call of Cthulhu moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just beat this and drat that was a satisfying ending. I thought that the final act was a good bit weaker than the rest of the game, especially since there was very little in the way of new story side quests that open up in the endgame. The one major one that I'd been looking forward to the whole game was also a bit disappointing. Namely killing Radovid. I loved getting to see that fucker get shanked, but I didn't like how stupid Djikstra was for deciding to betray us and expecting Geralt to just step aside and let his friends who had risked their lives for him get murdered!? Way to go out like a chump Djikstra, you were one of my favorite characters.

All that aside though the whole ending sequence was amazing and watching the epilogue just made me nod cheerfully that yes, I am glad of all of this. I got Ciri becoming empress, Cerys bringing Skellige into a new age, and Geralt settling down with Triss. Basically all how I wanted it to play out.

What a fantastic game.

When's this DLC coming out I want more

E: Also are they going to fix the statuette quest and Skellige's Most Wanted because it's really annoying that I've just got those two (well and Gwent cards but haha gently caress that) sitting incomplete.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 6, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I must be one of the few who never got the most wanted quest bugged. A few others though, sure.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Well, they are the best romances ever written in an RPG, so... I figure it's worth talking about.

Damning with faint praise (really though it's good, I just had to say it). Though to be fair, the source material probably helps.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I thought I had read something about a big patch coming out with the DLC next week has there been any talk about what's in it?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

Damning with faint praise (really though it's good, I just had to say it). Though to be fair, the source material probably helps.
Source material gives the tools, yeah but I'm honestly impressed how they managed to build Yen as a complex character overshadowing a trilogy-long sweetheart Triss in the span of one game. You see her as Geralt's equal from the start and that's difficult to pull off, she's really well written and animated. The idea to have them act like an old marriage not-yet-divorcing-but-in-a-bad-need-of-counselling-and-held-together-by-the-trouble-with-their-daughter let them take a stab at realism and not the typical knight and princess romance.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
1.09 might include expanded Triss lines, and presumably some sort of fix for Most Wanted at least.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... Expansion is out next week. Has anything come out about it other than the teaser and store page?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Palpek posted:

Source material gives the tools, yeah but I'm honestly impressed how they managed to build Yen as a complex character overshadowing a trilogy-long sweetheart Triss in the span of one game. You see her as Geralt's equal from the start and that's difficult to pull off, she's really well written and animated. The idea to have them act like an old marriage not-yet-divorcing-but-in-a-bad-need-of-counselling-and-held-together-by-the-trouble-with-their-daughter let them take a stab at realism and not the typical knight and princess romance.

I also like, though, how when they first meet up in Skellige again they're all flirty and acting like teenagers, that kind of seems like something that two people who have been together for years and then apart for a while might do.

GuyUpNorth posted:

1.09 might include expanded Triss lines, and presumably some sort of fix for Most Wanted at least.

Seems like there's going to be a lot more than that, it was said there'd be a lot of changes in it.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

ZearothK posted:

So... Expansion is out next week. Has anything come out about it other than the teaser and store page?

There should be a trailer out today.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I feel like I miss something fundamental about the Yen romance, because I like that she's written independently and she's a strong character in her own right, but I just find her annoying.

You know, holding a grudge against me for memory loss (which you decided to actively IGNORE because 'you know I'd come find you sooner or later' and I'm the bad guy here?) is pretty lovely, and she doesn't have a problem at any point with Triss over it. Surely you'd be more annoyed at the friend who was sleeping with your boyfriend whilst he had memory loss, Yennefer?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

As I said to me Geralt/Yen are in bad need of counselling, the passive-aggressive sarcasm they throw at each other + holding grudges for years + unmanaged anger is off the charts. However that's what makes them realistic because it's disfunctional poo poo like that that you see/experience irl all the time and having them act logical and nice wouldn't be as interesting and as revealing when it comes to what is happening in their heads.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Shockeh posted:

I feel like I miss something fundamental about the Yen romance, because I like that she's written independently and she's a strong character in her own right, but I just find her annoying.

You know, holding a grudge against me for memory loss (which you decided to actively IGNORE because 'you know I'd come find you sooner or later' and I'm the bad guy here?) is pretty lovely, and she doesn't have a problem at any point with Triss over it. Surely you'd be more annoyed at the friend who was sleeping with your boyfriend whilst he had memory loss, Yennefer?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Yen doesn't hold a grudge against Geralt for sleeping with Triss while he had amnesia. She's upset when he brings it up because he's invalidating her feelings of betrayal.

We can assume that Triss and Yen resolved their differences, as much as they can be resolved, off-screen. There's a small amount of this in-game, but it's mostly implied.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Palpek posted:

the passive-aggressive sarcasm they throw at each other + holding grudges for years + unmanaged anger is off the charts

It's also the best. What would even be the point of a non-sarcastic character in the Witcher world?
Half the fun of reading the novels is in the dialogs. This also makes Dijkstra way better than Roche.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How the gently caress did no one post the trailer yet?\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdxS9R6NTE

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

She's upset when he brings it up because he's invalidating her feelings of betrayal.

That's the point though, Geralt didn't betray her, Triss did, she's barking up the wrong tree.

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah they still deserve huge prop for pulling it off. And in some situations the backstory is a challenge as much as a boon, in that they have to get across years of history without boring or confusing new players. It's still not perfect but it amazes me they did as well as they did.

I'd argue they didn't do this very well, there seems to be a huge disconnect between how people who read the books and those who didn't see the Yen vs Triss thing, the book stuff that is never mentioned in game puts those relationships in a completely different light than just taking the games at face value.

On the other hand they did pull this off with Ciri so kudos for that.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 6, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yennefer doesn't even bring it up on her own in that conversation. That "I heard you and Triss made a lovely couple" line is elicited by Geralt being really peevish and going "why didn't you talk to me sooooner did you not even want to see me?". Nah, she didn't talk to him because after getting out of a Nilfgaardian prison a few month ago she found out (presumably from Fringilla) that last he was scene he was boning Triss and she's got huge abandonment issues (because she was literally abandoned as a child due to profound deformity). Plus she apparently didn't anticipate that Triss wouldn't actually do anything to help with his amnesia until poo poo got serious. Which is kinda weird since that' totally a thing Triss would do, but whatever. But hey, if ever you're gonna react somewhat irrationally to something in a relationship, it's probably gonna be when your significant other is loving someone else.

It's also pretty weird that people get mad about this after having Geralt choose Triss. The "Oh no it was just the amnesia it wasn't my fault" thing rings kind of holllow when he's with her post-recovery. I wouldn't believe it either, in those circumstances.

Palpek posted:

Yeah they still deserve huge prop for pulling it off. And in some situations the backstory is a challenge as much as a boon, in that they have to get across years of history without boring or confusing new players. It's still not perfect but it amazes me they did as well as they did.

Avalerion posted:

I'd argue they didn't do this very well, there seems to be a huge disconnect between how people who read the books and those who didn't see the Yen vs Triss thing, the book stuff that is never mentioned in game puts those relationships in a completely different light than just taking the games at face value.

On the other hand they did pull this off with Ciri so kudos for that.

EDIT: There seem to be plenty of people that liked Yennefer more than Triss and haven't read the books. If there is a disconnect I'd put it down more in a difference in what gamers are used to. And actually...Ciri is missing more than Yen. Though we don't get to spend much time with her and there's not really an opportunity for some of her more dramatic book characterization to come out. I'd wager more people that only played the game would be more surprised to learn that Ciri was robbing people for money and killing for pleasure at one point than that Yennefer has weird abandonment issues.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 6, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

cheesetriangles posted:

How the gently caress did no one post the trailer yet?\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdxS9R6NTE

Who the hell is the guy at the end?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm very nervous that you of all people aren't sure who a character in this series is...

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Crap I didn't notice but I bought Witcher 3 on Greenguygaming but its a GoG Key. I'm I losing or gaining anything not getting it on Steam?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
How will Heart of Stone content get triggered?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Tormented posted:

Crap I didn't notice but I bought Witcher 3 on Greenguygaming but its a GoG Key. I'm I losing or gaining anything not getting it on Steam?

You lose: Steam cheevos, trading cards, cloud saves.

You gain: No DRM.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

starry skies above posted:

How will Heart of Stone content get triggered?

Either load up your existing save, start a new game as normal, or start Heart of Stone directly from the main menu (this basically starts a new game with all non-HoS quests marked as completed already). Regardless of which of them you pick, the start of HoS is supposedly a new monster contract somewhere around Oxenfort.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Urit posted:

You lose: Steam cheevos, trading cards, cloud saves.

You gain: No DRM.

Gog Galaxy also has cheevos if you use it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The GOG Galaxy client is the jankiest, brokenest, least useful piece of software on my computer. It made me seriously question the competence and reliability of GoG as a company.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Avalerion posted:

That's the point though, Geralt didn't betray her, Triss did, she's barking up the wrong tree.

I am, by no means, a relationship expert, but here's a free piece of advice. Sometimes people feel aggrieved, and if you don't want them to teleport you into a lake, you should not try to talk them out of feeling aggrieved. "It wasn't my fault" is such a lovely thing to say when someone is telling you that they are hurting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy poo poo, that trailer is loving solid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I am, by no means, a relationship expert, but here's a free piece of advice. Sometimes people feel aggrieved, and if you don't want them to teleport you into a lake, you should not try to talk them out of feeling aggrieved. "It wasn't my fault" is such a lovely thing to say when someone is telling you that they are hurting.

So you're a domestic abuse apologist? :confused:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Snak posted:

:rolleyes:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Haven't watched the vid yet as I'm at work, but I'm really hoping we get a Regis appearance, unless he gets dead in one of the untranslated books I haven't read.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I think you guys like the relationships a lot because the females have strong differing personalities.

Ones that don't budge because you choose an option out of 3 to make her magically agree and forever live happily ever after.

I like yennifer more personally because I actually weirdly almost feel like Geralt actually feels an emotion there, unlike when he talks to a lot of other characters.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The conversation options that lead to that are more about deliberately making her more aggrieved.

Snak posted:

He fell, officer. Clumsy Geralt. There was no nonconsensual teleporting involved.

Lawnie posted:

Haven't watched the vid yet as I'm at work, but I'm really hoping we get a Regis appearance, unless he gets dead in one of the untranslated books I haven't read.

Regis spoilers for later books he's about as dead as a higher vampire can get.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Yennefer doesn't even bring it up on her own in that conversation. That "I heard you and Triss made a lovely couple" line is elicited by Geralt being really peevish and going "why didn't you talk to me sooooner did you not even want to see me?". Nah, she didn't talk to him because after getting out of a Nilfgaardian prison a few month ago she found out (presumably from Fringilla) that last he was scene he was boning Triss and she's got huge abandonment issues (because she was literally abandoned as a child due to profound deformity). Plus she apparently didn't anticipate that Triss wouldn't actually do anything to help with his amnesia until poo poo got serious. Which is kinda weird since that' totally a thing Triss would do, but whatever. But hey, if ever you're gonna react somewhat irrationally to something in a relationship, it's probably gonna be when your significant other is loving someone else.

It's also pretty weird that people get mad about this after having Geralt choose Triss. The "Oh no it was just the amnesia it wasn't my fault" thing rings kind of holllow when he's with her post-recovery. I wouldn't believe it either, in those circumstances.

EDIT: There seem to be plenty of people that liked Yennefer more than Triss and haven't read the books. If there is a disconnect I'd put it down more in a difference in what gamers are used to. And actually...Ciri is missing more than Yen. Though we don't get to spend much time with her and there's not really an opportunity for some of her more dramatic book characterization to come out. I'd wager more people that only played the game would be more surprised to learn that Ciri was robbing people for money and killing for pleasure at one point than that Yennefer has weird abandonment issues.

I haven't read the books or played the other games yet(though I have picked up bits and pieces about both), but I definitely prefer Yennefer by quite a bit. Yennefer's smarter, funnier, and I like her voice actress more. Also, I think Triss is a creep for taking advantage of an amnesiac like that, but I kinda don't understand why no one told Geralt about his past life in the 1st game, in general. However, Yen's fancy dress is really stupid because it's just her normal outfit made longer. What the hell was she thinking?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
GOG Galaxy has been fine for me so far, if you don't count the broken W3 achievements which seem to be mostly fixed by now. Obviously still in beta, but it has been getting better with each update.

Was looking through Galaxy's achievement list for W3, and noticed one called I Wore Ofieri Before It Was Cool. "Collect all available Ofieri armor and horse gear, and at least one Ofieri sword." I assume this is a new one, and Ofieri must be those Eastern/Zerrikanian warriors shown in the Hearts of Stone trailers and previews. Can't wait to get some swanky (hopefully purple) new gear for Roach. :getin:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

The conversation options that lead to that are more about deliberately making her more aggrieved.

He fell, officer. Clumsy Geralt. There was no nonconsensual teleporting involved.

Hey, if Geralt himself can resurrect to play the lead in the video games, Regis should be able too !

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

rats, I thought he was a really cool character. I'm assuming his "death" in the books will be via some badass means, though, so that's cool. Looking forward to those translations coming out.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Sharmat posted:

Recall a tall, muscular guy disguised as a wanderer with a stick on the way to Zerrikania? Now, that guy is pretty dead in my book, but who knows, this seems to be about cheating death, hm?

e: Ehhhh probably not. Not big enough.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yennefer just ends up getting a better exposition thanks to the main story. Even when you don't romance her you see her bond with Ciri and not only her doing her business. Triss is only shown in relation to Geralt and doing sorcery stuff so there's this big part missing that would show her affection for another important person in her life that would give her character more depth. That's probably why Triss is getting more lines in the new patch but that won't be enough to tilt the scales anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

but I kinda don't understand why no one told Geralt about his past life in the 1st game, in general.

Well it would be awkward as hell but yeah when Dandelion saw Geralt and Triss getting cozy you think he might have said something. Or maybe he was too oblivious to understand what she was doing. The first game is the most poorly written of the three though, and the amnesia was just an excuse to build the world for new people at the time I think, likely because they weren't very confident in their abilities to do it in a natural way.

Lawnie posted:

rats, I thought he was a really cool character. I'm assuming his "death" in the books will be via some badass means, though, so that's cool. Looking forward to those translations coming out.

There's no shame in being beaten by the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dandelion doesn't care how many girlfriends Geralt has when he himself has a good dozen.