Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Toxic cloud + boomrats or boomalopes is the best, a few days into the event you start getting random explosions everywhere.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
That event plus all the other poo poo that can happen made me realize this game hates me planting devilstrand.

Try to plant it in the open - gets struck by lightning, eaten by animals, has inferno-cannon centipedes dropping in and around it setting everything on fire, boomalopes and boomrats exploding on it doing the same thing etc. Fix the problem - hello toxic fallout. Now your devilstrand is dead anyway.

So you try planting inside instead with hydroponics - boom! there goes all your power, and all your devilstrand is dead now.

Try planting inside without hydro - boom! the power cables explode nearby creating an inferno in the growing room and temperatures spiraling out of control. But wait I'll just remove the roof and bring the temperature down! Oh, that's right, I forgot: it's now a volcanic winter outside with sub-zero temperatures. Dead devilstrand.

(Yes I know there are ways around these problems, but it illustrates how difficult it is to grow the drat stuff. Great when you have it, though.)

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Drunk in Space posted:

That event plus all the other poo poo that can happen made me realize this game hates me planting devilstrand.

Try to plant it in the open - gets struck by lightning, eaten by animals, has inferno-cannon centipedes dropping in and around it setting everything on fire, boomalopes and boomrats exploding on it doing the same thing etc. Fix the problem - hello toxic fallout. Now your devilstrand is dead anyway.

So you try planting inside instead with hydroponics - boom! there goes all your power, and all your devilstrand is dead now.

Try planting inside without hydro - boom! the power cables explode nearby creating an inferno in the growing room and temperatures spiraling out of control. But wait I'll just remove the roof and bring the temperature down! Oh, that's right, I forgot: it's now a volcanic winter outside with sub-zero temperatures. Dead devilstrand.

(Yes I know there are ways around these problems, but it illustrates how difficult it is to grow the drat stuff. Great when you have it, though.)

Huh I realize I posted this in the wrong thread!

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 3, 2015

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I've played a few rounds to their inevitable grisly conclusion, learning something new each time, and now I'd like to try a cannibal run. Any tips? In previous runs I got a HUGE mood malus from butchering and eating people, is there some way around that or is it just something you have to offset with a bunch of +Mood poo poo?

VVV Edit: I'll do that, my hope was that after a while the penalty would get less and less as people get used to it anyway.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 3, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's something you have to either offset or you have to be very selective in your recruiting and only let in cannibals. I'm not sure if psychopaths still get the mood penalty for eating human meat.

Or you could enter dev mode to cheat and add the cannibal trait to new recruits after a while to simulate them adjusting.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i've toyed w the idea of making a mod that lets you build a colony totem or something where you can set colony values, and colonists can study there to change their traits. it might be OP, but it would be a cool option.

there are a couple of different ways it could probably be done, but i don't think i'm good enough at modding to execute any of them. for example, you might be able to tie the trait change to the recruitment process- which wouldn't cover edge cases (wanderers joining, etc.) but whatever.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
random rear end in a top hat, you could use the prepare carefully mod (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0) to have a baseline pop of cannibals or psychopaths.

i dont know if you need both traits to successfully run a cannibal colony, but i think you only need cannibal. iirc, butchering malus is no big deal, cannibal malus is and i believe it stacks, which i dont think butchering does.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Alchenar posted:

Virtually all modders are insufferable and the notion that modders can ask for money is one of the worst developments to make modding communities toxic and whiny.

Times were best when everyone recognised they were standing on the shoulders of giants and there was an expectation that anything you made public could be fairly used by anyone else and the reasonable expectation was that you'd get an acknowledgement for your work.

Thanks for the generalization, please tell me more about how politely asking a guy not to monetize work I released for free is being insufferable and whiny.

People put dozens of man-hours into some of these projects and release them with no expectations of compensation, monetary or otherwise. They do it purely so other people can enjoy it too, the least you could do is not be an insulting prick.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I think modders can quite rightly ask for donations for work they've done, but compiling other peoples work into your own mod and not giving credit is a dick move, especially if you then ask for donations on it. Well thats my two cents.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Drink Cheerwine posted:

i dont know if you need both traits to successfully run a cannibal colony, but i think you only need cannibal. iirc, butchering malus is no big deal, cannibal malus is and i believe it stacks, which i dont think butchering does.

On the other hand, if you aren't chopping off limbs and eyeballs for spares before killing and eating your prisoners, you are doing it wrong. I believe that does stack, so it's really ideal to have both.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know how to scale the UI easily? I have friend with a 4k screen and the text is tiny.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

SovietPotatoe posted:

Thanks for the generalization, please tell me more about how politely asking a guy not to monetize work I released for free is being insufferable and whiny.

People put dozens of man-hours into some of these projects and release them with no expectations of compensation, monetary or otherwise. They do it purely so other people can enjoy it too, the least you could do is not be an insulting prick.

He said the expectation of pay is what is whiny, i.e. he's on your side here :ssh:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Alchenar posted:

Virtually all modders are insufferable and the notion that modders can ask for money is one of the worst developments to make modding communities toxic and whiny.

Times were best when everyone recognised they were standing on the shoulders of giants and there was an expectation that anything you made public could be fairly used by anyone else and the reasonable expectation was that you'd get an acknowledgement for your work.

tbh I don't see anything wrong with getting paid for doing something that's work. I used to hate everything about paid mods for the those reasons, but I've come around to it's the modder's choice whether they want to give their work away for free, have an optional donation or straight up charge for access. What is a reasonable amount and how any of that would work for compilations, collaborative works etc is a whole different kettle of fish and I have no idea where to draw those lines, so leave that to the individuals. If they set a ridiculous price I can always not buy it. I'm not automatically entitled to the fruits of someone else's labour just because it's a modification of another work and there's a tradition of doing it for free.

I came around on paid mods when I started comparing it to paid labour and donating labour via volunteering. I would never work at a gas station for free but I'm happy to work for a good cause for either minimal amounts or without charge. It's up to me where I draw the line on what I will or won't do and for how much, and I'll extend that same choice to a person spending their time modifying a videogame for their own or other peoples' enjoyment.

Trying to make money off another person's work they've given away for free is heinous though and should be viciously stomped on. :shobon:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Well, I'm low on food but the crops are close to finish growing and with the large amount I planted that should get me sustainably fed for a whil-

WELP, GUESS THIS COLONY'S A GONNER

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Mister Adequate posted:

He said the expectation of pay is what is whiny, i.e. he's on your side here :ssh:

I'm more hung up on the "virtually all modders are insufferable" part. I've seen many modding communities over the years, some are pretty bad but most are just a bunch of people pursuing a hobby for fun. Every now and then you'll get some idiot like Ninefinger who wants to be a drama queen but the Rimworld modding scene in particular consists of some pretty good people. Painting them all with the same brush calling them insufferable because the poster never saw anything beyond Minecraft modding is just plain stupid.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Ninefingers has been banned completely from the RimWorld forums, due to all the drama he caused. And someone else has taken the mantle to make a "new" UOP.

The only difference is that the new guy is not going to listen to requests to add stuff just for the sake of adding things. He's also not going to put any donation links on his page, and obviously will get permission from mods that he wants to include. Hell, one modder does have a donation link, and he will link to the mod itself but NOT the donation link. He's also not going to throw too much difficulty in the modpack even when he's starting from scratch. Also he add things just because someone requests it. A huge problem with UOP was people could request something and it was added to the modpack without fixing what was already broken.

Basically, he's doing things properly. Hell, it's going to take a couple of months before the new pack is set to be released.

And there's a link too right now.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16368.0

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Conot posted:

Well, I'm low on food but the crops are close to finish growing and with the large amount I planted that should get me sustainably fed for a whil-

WELP, GUESS THIS COLONY'S A GONNER

See if there are any natural plants around that you can harvest. Just select harvest and drag and drop it a bunch of times over any likely shrub bush, or go out hunting.

Alternatively, lock one colonist in a small room with a few heaters and make a pressure cooker. Better one goes down than everyone. They can have a lovely statue and memorial garden to how they bravely went out for meat and returned with some, saving the colony, but were tragically wounded and died shortly thereafter. And none of the survivors will ever speak of it to the new recruits except in dark hints while drinking entirely too much. :unsmith:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Tommofork posted:

See if there are any natural plants around that you can harvest. Just select harvest and drag and drop it a bunch of times over any likely shrub bush, or go out hunting.

Alternatively, lock one colonist in a small room with a few heaters and make a pressure cooker. Better one goes down than everyone. They can have a lovely statue and memorial garden to how they bravely went out for meat and returned with some, saving the colony, but were tragically wounded and died shortly thereafter. And none of the survivors will ever speak of it to the new recruits except in dark hints while drinking entirely too much. :unsmith:

I managed to get by fine on berries and hunting animals till the next crop grew in, but it was touch and go, 3 people were starving at one point. Its funny how with a field that size you can go from "starving" to "Oh my god my stock room is full of potatos" in the span of a month.

Eventually that colony was killed by mechanoids, my turret set up being just lovely enough to get both my defenders killed by turret-splosions.

Also, the toxic fallout event is hell. I had a fairly centralised colony and even so it was a struggle to keep everyone penned up appropriately to avoid poisoning. Not helped by a sapper pirates deciding this was the ideal time to attack :black101:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My sow gave birth to a piglet.

The piglet is 5 months old and fully trained.

We are now mining into the mountain, as we are established and can aspire to greater lodgings.

The five month old piglet can be seen hauling limestone chunks away from the dig site to the chunk pile.

GOTY

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Conot posted:

Also, the toxic fallout event is hell. I had a fairly centralised colony and even so it was a struggle to keep everyone penned up appropriately to avoid poisoning. Not helped by a sapper pirates deciding this was the ideal time to attack :black101:

Two things that can help with this:

1) If your colony is fully enclosed, you can generally add roofs over regular pathways. This ensures that your colonists can keep up with their errands without getting owned by the fallout.

2) Zoning and restrictions is an incredibly useful tool to figure out if you haven't already. I usually have zones for "within protection" (in case of manhunter packs) and "inside" (in case of baddies in the base or other fun stuff like fallout).

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Two things that can help with this:

1) If your colony is fully enclosed, you can generally add roofs over regular pathways. This ensures that your colonists can keep up with their errands without getting owned by the fallout.

2) Zoning and restrictions is an incredibly useful tool to figure out if you haven't already. I usually have zones for "within protection" (in case of manhunter packs) and "inside" (in case of baddies in the base or other fun stuff like fallout).

Yeah, zoning and restrictions is what made it easy to keep people in place. The main issue is that my housing block was separate from my "town hall", where all the food, workstations and power was, and putting both the housing and town hall within my restricted area would still have people running between the two, in the open, so I shunted everyone into the town hall and put down sleeping spots where I could. (A lot of research got done in the 10~ days of the toxic fallout)

One thing it took me far longer then reasonable to work out is that you can use restriction system to get Night Owls to keep a proper schedule for their mood buff/debuff, I spent far too long trying to micromanage them into staying awake at night and sleeping during the day before I figured it out.

I like setting up in rainforests for the all-year-round growing period, but the lack of natural steel/other minerals and the marshes makes it problematic. At some point I'm gonna try a Arctic expedition and probably die horribly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Haha, I just got a notification that Voodoo can walk again. I was like, who is Voodoo? Is that one of my animals? Turns out my male rhinoceros got into the beer and drank until he collapsed on the floor, vomiting.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What the heck, he as soon as he could walk again he went back to drink more beer and just died of alcohol poisoning :psyduck:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

fart simpson posted:

What the heck, he as soon as he could walk again he went back to drink more beer and just died of alcohol poisoning :psyduck:

Time for some beer-battered rhino steaks!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yep, in death he is providing many fine meals.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Apparently when boomalopes get drunk they collapse on the floor and explode.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
keep your loving animals out of my beer ted

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
That's why animal zones are important. Keep the booze for the bingers, not the pets.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skaw posted:

That's why animal zones are important. Keep the booze for the bingers, not the pets.

Is there some way to default animal zones? It seems to take either the last thing you assigned something or whatever is closest. I have a small animal zone I assign for butchering to minimize hauling and I keep ending up getting messages like "Apalca 4 is starving to death!" and when I go to investigate its because the game auto-assigned it to a small room with a butchering table.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Right now I'm well into my second month of Toxic Fallout, plus I have an Eclipse, a Solar Flare, and also a siege. At least the toxic fallout will take care of the siegers. Cassandra sure is trying to kill my colony, though.

e: And now a pack of manhunting boomalopes. :lol:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

fart simpson posted:

Right now I'm well into my second month of Toxic Fallout, plus I have an Eclipse, a Solar Flare, and also a siege. At least the toxic fallout will take care of the siegers. Cassandra sure is trying to kill my colony, though.

e: And now a pack of manhunting boomalopes. :lol:

Manhunting boomalopes are great because if you can kill one the rest will probably go down soon after.

It's less great if this happens while they're attacking your turrets

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yes, unfortunately they went down near my geothermal generator and I had to risk a colonist going out there to put out the fire because if the geothermal power went down then I was completely screwed. Managed to barely save it; it only had about 30 hitpoints left and my guy got fairly close to permanent damage from the toxic buildup.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whenever my base gets to a certain size, it seems like all my pawns forget how to work. There's a bunch of poo poo to haul to a stockpile, but they're walking around with nothing to do. Do I need to set up zones or something?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Whenever my base gets to a certain size, it seems like all my pawns forget how to work. There's a bunch of poo poo to haul to a stockpile, but they're walking around with nothing to do. Do I need to set up zones or something?

Is the zone big enough? It might be full or somehow have things unchecked. Are you restrictions set to 'Anything'? Everyone has the haul ability tagged in jobs?

All else fails you can select a colonist and prioritize hauling

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 6, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Restrictions set to anything.

If I prioritize, dude goes out and grabs the one thing then walks home. gently caress.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I usually do a clean/haul day once a week. Put max priority for that for a day.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Restrictions set to anything.

If I prioritize, dude goes out and grabs the one thing then walks home. gently caress.

If you enable all the jobs, without manual prioritizing, they will do the jobs towards the left first. That means they will do everything but cleaning and research before they will do hauling. Use manual priorities and set someone with low skills to mostly haul and clean. Just remember to put patient and firefighting to the highest... Maybe flick as well.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you enable all the jobs, without manual prioritizing, they will do the jobs towards the left first. That means they will do everything but cleaning and research before they will do hauling. Use manual priorities and set someone with low skills to mostly haul and clean. Just remember to put patient and firefighting to the highest... Maybe flick as well.

If it was on manual priority, that's when nothing gets done. Like no work whatsoever, everyone's just standing around idle, not only not hauling, but not crafting, or cooking, or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love psychopathic cannibal games.