Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fjelltorsk posted:

Thanks..

Its the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me.

I was just sitting at home a saturday night being hung over and watching the dog when some dude came shouting down the streets, my dog barked at the dude and the dude started yelling at the dog. i told the dog to shut it and figured he would walk away. the dude kept yelling so i grabbed a camera and took a picture trough the window. He did not like that one bit and started throwing poo poo at my house. He approached the front door and started breaking windows with rocks and poo poo. when he started kicking on the door i called the cops. I decided that i should walk out and try too calm him down and opened the door. I did not even get to say anything until something hit me in the ribs, i hunched over and then it all went abit black for abit. i woke up crawling on the floor in the hall and my face and head was on fire. I called the cops again, and they showed up and chased him around the bushes for awhile before catching him. i was taken to the ER "light" where a doctor looked at my face and nose, considered it hosed and sent me home to have the swelling go down. i returned to calm the dog down, continue to be entertained by #neai and have my face feel like it was about to fall off. i called the wife to let her know what was going down, and got her to wait untill morning before rushing to my aid. at some point during the night i became worse, removed one of the tampons from my nose and started bleeding alot, i freaked out and called wife. i was admitted to the hospital, had surgery and went home. most of my face is broken and because of some pressure buildup they drilled my head out.

so i guess, not much of a story

Wow it sucks that happened dude, but i suppose you learned a lot from it. Let the cops deal with it, it's what they get paid to do, don't ever think you can reason with someone that's drunk and/or irrational, and don't ever leave the safety of your house. When I read the part of you leaving your house to try to reason with that idiot it baffled me as to what your thought process was. I don't know how the law works where you are, but hopefully the dude is in jail for a long time and if he has any worth you should sue the poo poo out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

leica posted:

Wow it sucks that happened dude, but i suppose you learned a lot from it. Let the cops deal with it, it's what they get paid to do, don't ever think you can reason with someone that's drunk and/or irrational, and don't ever leave the safety of your house. When I read the part of you leaving your house to try to reason with that idiot it baffled me as to what your thought process was. I don't know how the law works where you are, but hopefully the dude is in jail for a long time and if he has any worth you should sue the poo poo out of him.

I am a rather large dude, and i did not want the dude to gently caress up my house anymore, so i guess i just wanted to scare him off. Had i known he had found a piece of rebar i used in the garden i would have stayed indoors

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cage posted:

I think hes asking why there are also scissors inside of your nose.

Those are Kelly forceps! Handy tools when fixing drain lines in the door of your brother's vw or pinching cut veins and arteries shut during surgery. They are probably holding part of his face to the other part of his face or maybe holding something to soak up blood.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

fjelltorsk posted:

Thanks..

Its the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me.

so i guess, not much of a story
That's...
WTF why does the universe hate you so much?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
When in Baltimore just shoot the guy if something like that happens. I'm pretty sure Baltimore PD just gives a handgun to new (white)residents.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maksimus54 posted:

When in Baltimore just shoot the guy if something like that happens. I'm pretty sure Baltimore PD just gives a handgun to new (white)residents.

Just watch The Wire. It's a documentary.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

Jesus gently caress, I just opened up Facebook. And saw this posted by a friend.

It's what his wife wrote on his son's homework, and sent back with his son to school.

I'm not the religious type, but I'm a firm believer that the only way to understand and tolerate differences in cultures (this includes religion) is to learn about them, and respect them - not be a loving xenophobe, and not by thinking your way is the only way.
Is he the kind of friend to whom you can say "You're wife's being a oval office, mate"?

fjelltorsk posted:

I am a rather large dude, and i did not want the dude to gently caress up my house anymore, so i guess i just wanted to scare him off. Had i known he had found a piece of rebar i used in the garden i would have stayed indoors
Me too, but it doesn't necessarily help you. I suggest a shotgun.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Jesus gently caress, I just opened up Facebook. And saw this posted by a friend.

It's what his wife wrote on his son's homework, and sent back with his son to school.

I'm not the religious type, but I'm a firm believer that the only way to understand and tolerate differences in cultures (this includes religion) is to learn about them, and respect them - not be a loving xenophobe, and not by thinking your way is the only way.

This was all over reddit and imgur yesterday so either your friends wife is famous or lying.

edit: Definitely lying, unless she did this 4 days ago and was just now willing to share something she was so angry about.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 6, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I actually enjoy driving more on the street. I like the track as well but not for driving fast as much as whipping the car through turns. That to me is the thrill and i can find a better variety of turns on the street. I live out in a very rural area, please dont think im driving through busy streets and areas like an idiot.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

drat fjelltorsk, I'm glad you're okay and psycho didn't mash your brains totally. I forget which crime-ridden euro hell hole you currently live in, but you should move somewhere safe like Baltimore asap :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Great Beer posted:

This was all over reddit and imgur yesterday so either your friends wife is famous or lying.

edit: Definitely lying, unless she did this 4 days ago and was just now willing to share something she was so angry about.

maybe, but if they make a post claiming responsibility then they're still endorsing that viewpoint, which makes them just as bad. :colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hey it drizzled for 30 seconds when I was out there last week. I was disappointed all the cars didn't immediately go sliding off the road.

Just wait for someone to bitch about the engine they just bought being trashed on a local facebook group.

Friend with the old barn find Jag ran into an issue on rebuilding his calipers and wondering what solutions there might be. The calipers look fine and he bought rebuild kits for the rubber stuff but the pistons are pitted to hell and he can't buy them separately. Other than buying complete new calipers (300+ a piece) is there a way to cross reference piston size with other vehicles? Otherwise I might see what the local machinist would charge to make a set, pretty simple piece.

Stoptech/centric makes caliper pistons in a lot of different sizes.

click on "select your vehicle" to bring up the search box:

http://www.centricparts.com/

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fjelltorsk posted:

A: Jesus christ dude, you have so much poo poo happen to you. Your life could be a sitcom/drama mashup show.

B: I resisted chiming in before, but Baltimore is 97% awful. You probably wouldn't want to live anywhere too close to downtown. Everyone jokes about The Wire, but it's not really too much of a joke; I'd try to point out nice areas to live but I've already been away 2 years and poo poo changes constantly with gentrification and population reshuffling. The real shitholes will always be shitholes, but the semi-shitholes move sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Girlfriend's father is responding to treatment! All his tumors have shrunk!

I may not like the dude much but I'm happy his prognosis is good!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
fjelltorsk, in case you lost it:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Adiabatic posted:

OK, were going to live outside baltimore, probably townson or essex. relaaaax. nothing bad ever happens to me

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Adiabatic posted:

Gunfire sounds nice.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Jesus Christ Fjelltorsk. I hope you get better soon.

[edit] Brother in law just said to me "I only buy brands, I trust brands, when you buy brands you can never go wrong." Those words actually left his mouth. I mean it explains a lot, but god drat dude.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Still disappointed your doctor wouldn't take a selfie with your brain showing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fjelltorsk posted:

OK, were going to live outside baltimore, probably townson or essex. relaaaax. nothing bad ever happens to me

Remember, in Baltimore little dudes will shoot bigger dudes like yourself :)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have one of whirlpool's stupid cabrio washers. Its been a little under 2 years and its already having to have stuff replaced to the tune of $400 dollars parts+labor if what I read from other people is correct.

EDIT: :dogbutton: @ homeless rebar garden ninja

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 6, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

Remember, in Baltimore little dudes will shoot bigger dudes like yourself :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Good grief, how much cat do you have in you fjelltorsk? I mean at this point you are running out of lives unless you did the DOOM god mode cheat. Gotta watch yourself man!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Open console (~)

tgm

Player_additem "gold" 9999999

noclip

I think he used tim (toggle immortal mode) instead. A common mistake, as immortal mode still allows you to take damage, but prevents you from dying. There is a glitch where enemies can still perform finishing moves on you in immortal mode, so sometimes your character ends up running around with no head or projectiles protruding.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 6, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fjelltorsk posted:

Towson's okay, Essex is kinda bleh.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MustardFacial posted:

Jesus Christ Fjelltorsk. I hope you get better soon.

[edit] Brother in law just said to me "I only buy brands, I trust brands, when you buy brands you can never go wrong." Those words actually left his mouth. I mean it explains a lot, but god drat dude.

Did he actually say the word "brands" or was he referring to a specific brand? Also, check for cameras because you might be trapped in a commercial.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Did he actually say the word "brands" or was he referring to a specific brand? Also, check for cameras because you might be trapped in a commercial.

He actually used the word "brands" which makes sense because:

He will only drive*:
- BMW
- Mercedes

All of his clothes are:
- Hugo Boss
- Prada
- D&G
- Armani

Phone & laptop:
- Apple

Sound System & headphones**:
- Bose

All TV's:
- Sony

*I lent him my GTI to use so he can get around while he was here, he didn't want to take it and insisted on trying the rent a BMW or Merc. He took one drive in the GTI and went "this is a motor" and hasn't complained since.
** He bought us one of those lovely Bose Soundwave folded horn radio things even after I specifically told him not to. When I said "if you insist on getting something expensive, get the Klipsch one instead." to which he replied "I've never heard of that, I'll get you the Bose."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Gunfire sounds nice.
Depends on the direction.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

MustardFacial posted:

He actually used the word "brands" which makes sense because:

He will only drive*:
- BMW
- Mercedes

All of his clothes are:
- Hugo Boss
- Prada
- D&G
- Armani

Phone & laptop:
- Apple

Sound System & headphones**:
- Bose

All TV's:
- Sony

*I lent him my GTI to use so he can get around while he was here, he didn't want to take it and insisted on trying the rent a BMW or Merc. He took one drive in the GTI and went "this is a motor" and hasn't complained since.
** He bought us one of those lovely Bose Soundwave folded horn radio things even after I specifically told him not to. When I said "if you insist on getting something expensive, get the Klipsch one instead." to which he replied "I've never heard of that, I'll get you the Bose."

Let me guess what brand of audio/video cable he uses

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Your BiL sounds like a typical TV brainwashed idiot.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MustardFacial posted:

All of his clothes are:
- Hugo Boss
- Prada
- D&G
- Armani

A buddy of mine works in the menswear business, and he will tell you that anyone who buys any of these brands is a loving moron. Unless you have *exactly* the body shape they design for, you will look stupid in any of their clothes. And in Hugo Boss' case, the don't leave any allowances for tailoring either.

Shouldn't come as a surprise from the brand that got their start making uniforms for the SS.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

The white ghetto extends much further south into Brooklyn Park....

Sigma X posted:

Towson's okay, Essex is kinda bleh.
Try for south of Baltimore County (outside of both the city and county, the taxes are lower).
Most of Glen Burnie isn't too bad, and is relatively inexpensive to live in. You have to be careful about Towson, I have some friends that live out there for the college, you don't want to live the frat bro lyfe.

Essex is literally smells like poo poo. There is a sewage treatment plant there. But there are also a lot of decent blue collar neighborhoods there (a lot of the residents used to work at the Sparrow Point Steel Mill, or at the GM plant when both of those existed).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
So this is for sale on my local Craigslist...

Now how do I convince my wife it's a good idea?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

fjelltorsk posted:

Let me guess what brand of audio/video cable he uses
You would be correct.

mafoose posted:

Your BiL sounds like a typical TV brainwashed idiot.
That whole side of the family believes in status way too much. My wife used to be like that until I started explaining to her that kind of status and elitism is petty and a crock of poo poo. Her parents are the same, and her cousins are like it as well. I mean it's not really their fault, they grew up as rich kids and never learned to do anything for themselves. When you grow up surrounded by that culture you inevitably follow it because it's all you know. It wasn't until my wife started going out with me that I started showing her things like how to fire a gun, or how to change your oil, or fishing, hiking, batting cages, motorcycles etc. As she started doing more and more of that stuff I think she started seeing how dumb and infantile it was to buy high end poo poo just so you can lord it over other people. My BiL in particular is actually a really nice guy apart from this, I'm trying the same trick on him as I did on my wife, but he's a lot more reluctant to do anything.

But that's just my opinion.

MrChips posted:

A buddy of mine works in the menswear business, and he will tell you that anyone who buys any of these brands is a loving moron. Unless you have *exactly* the body shape they design for, you will look stupid in any of their clothes. And in Hugo Boss' case, the don't leave any allowances for tailoring either.

Shouldn't come as a surprise from the brand that got their start making uniforms for the SS.

All of the Hugo Boss clothes I have (all of which were bought for me) fit me WAAAAYYYY better than anything else. But I still refuse to buy any of their poo poo, because I'm a cheap motherfucker and I've already ruined 3 button up shirts because of unexpected "hey, go pull the hydraulic pump out of this backhoe, then fill this tidy tank with 400L of diesel."

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Finally. I got a drain that wont leak in my shower. Its all put in and not leaking. Surround will go up tomorrow.

gently caress yes bitches. gently caress yes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Finally. I got a drain that wont leak in my shower. Its all put in and not leaking. Surround will go up tomorrow.

gently caress yes bitches. gently caress yes.

Let's see if the same can be said for my bus today with the oil cooler. I don't know what it is but I can't get the two cooler sealing rings to seat right, even with judicious applications of RTV around the outer circumference of the rings to help hold them in place.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I also ditched the use of silicone this time. My father in laws friend that has been doing plumbing since they invented the pipe said to use plumbers putty. That way if there ever needs to be work done, it can be easily taken apart to be repaired and new put in.

With a proper ring of putty, the "wing-tite" drain system its in and works perfectly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I also ditched the use of silicone this time. My father in laws friend that has been doing plumbing since they invented the pipe said to use plumbers putty. That way if there ever needs to be work done, it can be easily taken apart to be repaired and new put in.

With a proper ring of putty, the "wing-tite" drain system its in and works perfectly.

I have not been happy with putty the last couple times I've used it. I was planning on using silicone next time. What are the pros/cons?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

YOU KNOW WHAT WAKES YOU THE gently caress UP? PICKING UP AN 18V DRILL BATTERY IN YOUR MOUTH BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO TIRED AND DUMB TO FREE A HAND UP AND BRIDGING THE CONTACTS WITH YOUR LIPS.

IN OTHER NEWS MY GARAGE SHELVING IS GOING SWIMMINGLY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my new SSD got here, turns out you need a special cable to migrate data over on single-drive laptops... and the SSD didn't come with said cable. :doh:

On a scale of 1 to electrical fire how bad an idea is it to plug the laptop's original HDD and the SSD into 2 of my desktop's many, many empty drive bays and do the migration that way?

• Locked thread