Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowgles
Oct 2, 2013
Hi all!

Origin: SFO
Destination : TYO
Duration of trip with dates: December 6th-December 15th
Flexibility: Airports - pretty flexible on both origin and destination as long as it's not too much more travel than intended. Say an hour or so. Dates - we are pretty secure on these dates. No earlier than the 6th (or later than the 20th) and we can only go for 9 days.

I've found tickets for $851 on an airline consolidator website, which frankly I'm pretty pleased with. Just wondering if you guys could do better!

Meowgles fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You won't find better than that price, but I do worry about third-party websites and lovely connections.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Meowgles posted:

Hi all!

Origin: SFO
Destination : TYO
Duration of trip with dates: December 6th-December 15th
Flexibility: Airports - pretty flexible on both origin and destination as long as it's not too much more travel than intended. Say an hour or so. Dates - we are pretty secure on these dates. No earlier than the 6th (or later than the 20th) and we can only go for 9 days.

I've found tickets for $851 on an airline consolidator website, which frankly I'm pretty pleased with. Just wondering if you guys could do better!

$831 on Asiana and you can book directly with them (or via Orbitz).

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Partially strange observation, partially request for help.

YYZ-NBO on Oct 16/15
NBO-CPT on Nov 7/15 afternoon or nov8/15 morning
CPT-YYZ on Dec 12/15

Breaking out segments into their own tickets seems to make a (sometimes big) difference to the total fare. For example, YYZ-LHR//LHR-NBO with a just over 12h layover, that I don't mind, comes out cheaper than YYZ-NBO, everything else being equal, and where the latter option doesn't even find the former. Breaking out the middle NBO-CPT section (usually 2 or 3 segments) also seems to make a difference, whether it's a one-way+open-jaw over a 3-way multi-city, with the former being a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the latter.

Given this, how do I approach finding these kinds of anomalies? Some of the combinations I come up with price but aren't bookable online. For example, one ticket that has flights with AC, ET and SA is bookable through Lufthansa (according to Google). I've only ever booked flights online. Anything special about booking over the phone with itineraries like this? Anything weird about booking tickets into Africa?

Cheapest I've found so far is 1686CAD (ticket 1) + 677CAD (ticket 2). There's a cheaper flight for the second ticket but it's too early in the morning, which of course doesn't exist the next day.

~1h connections in AMS often show up, even AC interlining with KLM. What's the minimum connection time I should be looking at?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

spoof posted:

Partially strange observation, partially request for help.

YYZ-NBO on Oct 16/15
NBO-CPT on Nov 7/15 afternoon or nov8/15 morning
CPT-YYZ on Dec 12/15

Breaking out segments into their own tickets seems to make a (sometimes big) difference to the total fare. For example, YYZ-LHR//LHR-NBO with a just over 12h layover, that I don't mind, comes out cheaper than YYZ-NBO, everything else being equal, and where the latter option doesn't even find the former. Breaking out the middle NBO-CPT section (usually 2 or 3 segments) also seems to make a difference, whether it's a one-way+open-jaw over a 3-way multi-city, with the former being a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the latter.

Given this, how do I approach finding these kinds of anomalies? Some of the combinations I come up with price but aren't bookable online. For example, one ticket that has flights with AC, ET and SA is bookable through Lufthansa (according to Google). I've only ever booked flights online. Anything special about booking over the phone with itineraries like this? Anything weird about booking tickets into Africa?

Cheapest I've found so far is 1686CAD (ticket 1) + 677CAD (ticket 2). There's a cheaper flight for the second ticket but it's too early in the morning, which of course doesn't exist the next day.

~1h connections in AMS often show up, even AC interlining with KLM. What's the minimum connection time I should be looking at?

You've wandered into the magical world of routing rules. Searching for specific routes and connections may return results that don't work together, making them unbookable either because of the rules or because there are multiple airlines that don't codeshare involved. Do keep in mind that in some of those cases, especially if you're booking through a travel agent (online or physical), you'll have separate tickets that give you an unprotected connection. Such a thing in AMS with an hour seems like a bad idea to me unless AC is willing to sell the KLM segment on their stock.

For what it's worth, I got a similar price to what you posted when searching for everything together, so I'd book each leg of the trip independently if everything prices out the same. Given your weeks of time between each segment, you don't need everything on the same ticket since you have ample time to recover from any delays or cancellations that may befall you. That should be easy enough to price out and then book directly with the airlines in question.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Planning a November vacation, not sure if I can do much better than what I've found. No preference for airline, alliance, etc; but I want to try to book through Amex to both redeem points I have and make use of a 2x points offer on the remainder.

Origin: NYC (JFK preferred)
Destination: CUN
Dates: 11/21 through 11/25. I need to be back in the USA on the 26th but can shuffle dates around as long as I get 4 nights.

The absolute cheapest flight is on American, $457 from 11/18 to 11/22. It only goes up from there, seems like the going rate across any airline is $500-$600. Is that the best I can do? Is it worth waiting for a price drop?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

chmods please posted:

Planning a November vacation, not sure if I can do much better than what I've found. No preference for airline, alliance, etc; but I want to try to book through Amex to both redeem points I have and make use of a 2x points offer on the remainder.

Origin: NYC (JFK preferred)
Destination: CUN
Dates: 11/21 through 11/25. I need to be back in the USA on the 26th but can shuffle dates around as long as I get 4 nights.

The absolute cheapest flight is on American, $457 from 11/18 to 11/22. It only goes up from there, seems like the going rate across any airline is $500-$600. Is that the best I can do? Is it worth waiting for a price drop?

$369 on Aeromexico, direct both ways (although it's 5 nights instead of 4 so depends on what that does for you)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So, I'm trying to plan a trip over Christmas. Does anyone know of anywhere I can look to find only deals in that time frame, without a hard destination in mind? I'm pretty frustrated because most places don't advertise that week because they know that it's pricier than normal and they want to show low numbers.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

So, I'm trying to plan a trip over Christmas. Does anyone know of anywhere I can look to find only deals in that time frame, without a hard destination in mind? I'm pretty frustrated because most places don't advertise that week because they know that it's pricier than normal and they want to show low numbers.

Kayak Explore has something like that but you aren't likely to find anything cheap except maybe on xmas day.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

two_beer_bishes posted:

Kayak Explore has something like that but you aren't likely to find anything cheap except maybe on xmas day.

I'm walking in with that understanding, I'm just trying to figure out how cheap it CAN be done, not expecting it to be actually cheap.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm walking in with that understanding, I'm just trying to figure out how cheap it CAN be done, not expecting it to be actually cheap.

Google Flights does that sort of thing too; put in a date or dates and where you're starting and follow the graph.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can also sort of do it with ITA matrix, just plug in like Prague or whatever (somewhere in the middle of Europe geographically) and select everything within 500kms.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

HookShot posted:

You can also sort of do it with ITA matrix, just plug in like Prague or whatever (somewhere in the middle of Europe geographically) and select everything within 500kms.

Like most of these engines though it's not that powerful if you run a search like that. I prefer Google Flights, even though that misses stuff as well.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best way is probably to check Skyscanner, Google Flights and ITA, and then after you find the cheapest place you want to go to, rerun the search so it's just for that place

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I can't figure out how to find flights when you only know your destination. I want a flight to HEL from some city in Europe, preferrably in Germany or France. To search for flights these search engines want you to know the FROM part, but the problem is I don't care too much about it as long as it is affordable.

I guess the best plan is to cycle through a long list of cities and look which one has the cheapest flights to Helsinki :|

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I can't figure out how to find flights when you only know your destination. I want a flight to HEL from some city in Europe, preferrably in Germany or France. To search for flights these search engines want you to know the FROM part, but the problem is I don't care too much about it as long as it is affordable.

I guess the best plan is to cycle through a long list of cities and look which one has the cheapest flights to Helsinki :|

Again,

HookShot posted:

but do this in the departing section.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Would anyone know the how easy (costly?) it would be to switch dates of a flight purchased primarily with airline points?
Airline : United
Date : 2/19 - 2/26
Round trip : DIA - MGA - DIA

My brother purchased tickets, but I won't be able to make all the days. I'm hoping to convince him to change up the date by a week either direction. Any idea how that would play out? Figure you guys know the airlines well I might get some advice?

Thanks.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

deong posted:

Would anyone know the how easy (costly?) it would be to switch dates of a flight purchased primarily with airline points?
Airline : United
Date : 2/19 - 2/26
Round trip : DIA - MGA - DIA

My brother purchased tickets, but I won't be able to make all the days. I'm hoping to convince him to change up the date by a week either direction. Any idea how that would play out? Figure you guys know the airlines well I might get some advice?

Thanks.

Changes made 21 or more days before the travel that do not change the origin or destination are $75 for someone with no status and free for Silver and up. This is for award tickets only and there may be a mileage difference as well if you can't find the same tickets on the days you want to change to.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

asur posted:

Changes made 21 or more days before the travel that do not change the origin or destination are $75 for someone with no status and free for Silver and up. This is for award tickets only and there may be a mileage difference as well if you can't find the same tickets on the days you want to change to.

Thanks for the link!

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
For transatlantic flights (EU to USA) around Christmas (leaving around the 19th of December and coming back the 3rd or 4th of January), I know that I won't get a great deal, but I guess my only hope of getting something for less than $/€1,000 is to keep checking and hope prices go down before the end of October?

Would be leaving from FRA or DUS (but for a good enough deal, would be willing to do BRU, AMS or CDG) and going to either JAN, MSY or MEM (or ATL and driving if significantly cheaper).

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 17, 2015

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gold and a Pager posted:

For transatlantic flights (EU to USA) around Christmas (leaving around the 19th of December and coming back the 3rd or 4th of January), I know that I won't get a great deal, but I guess my only hope of getting something for less than $/€1,000 is to keep checking and hope prices go down before the end of October?

Would be leaving from FRA or DUS (but for a good enough deal, would be willing to do BRU, AMS or CDG) and going to either JAN, MSY or MEM (or ATL and driving if significantly cheaper).
Well I can't find anything quickly for your dates and cities but just based on how "the market" for transatlantic flights looks these days, here's a suggestion if you're willing to spend more time flying and do one unprotected connection:

Scandinavia is currently the place to fly to America from. For example, you can get to MEM from OSL for $840 on your dates, to ATL for $742 on the same and $439 for Dec 20-Jan 5. FRA-OSL is <$200 roundtrip. ARN has similar prices.

Otherwise I just put all your cities into Matrix with your dates and found flights for under 1000e easily (starting like €825, so still significantly more expensive than Scandi) from AMS. On the other hand taking the train to AMS vs. flying to OSL... the two options probably work out quite similar in the end.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Gold and a Pager posted:

You could go the unprotected connection route, but be very aware of what you're doing there with regard to irregular operations which are not exactly unheard of at the beginning of winter. Also, make sure you cover BNA, CVG, BHM, and the other decent airports in that region in your searches. Sometimes the secondary cities yield additional savings.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just booked a flight from the US to Europe on “Iberia, operated by American Airlines.” I have Global Entry and was hoping for TSA Pre-check on my departing flight. I didn’t see a place to enter a Known Traveler Number though, only a Redress Number. I know only domestic airlines participate in Pre-check, but thought that maybe “operated by American Airlines” would be useful. Is there a way to get Pre-check for this outgoing international flight, or am I basically out of luck?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kobayashi posted:

I just booked a flight from the US to Europe on “Iberia, operated by American Airlines.” I have Global Entry and was hoping for TSA Pre-check on my departing flight. I didn’t see a place to enter a Known Traveler Number though, only a Redress Number. I know only domestic airlines participate in Pre-check, but thought that maybe “operated by American Airlines” would be useful. Is there a way to get Pre-check for this outgoing international flight, or am I basically out of luck?

Assuming you booked through Iberia, you'll have an AA PNR attached to it. Find that and pull up the reservation on aa.com and update the traveler profile there with your KTN. You'll have to check in with AA anyway so that should take care of it.

Bobalbmi
Sep 25, 2000

Today is the day
Real truth question here:

How is Norwegian for long haul? Prices are super low, but the lady is afraid of flying for so cheap for safety and comfort.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Not sure this is the right thread, but it's tangential: Train tickets in the UK. I found thetrainline.com, is that the best/only place to buy tickets?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Bobalbmi posted:

How is Norwegian for long haul? Prices are super low, but the lady is afraid of flying for so cheap for safety and comfort.

I haven't done them long haul (only shorthaul SXF-OSL) but long haul is fine from a safety standpoint; any airline that has service to North America and/or Europe must comply with audited standards. Comfort, on the other hand...

Let's just say that whatever they charge for an exit row seat is drat well worth it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Golbez posted:

Not sure this is the right thread, but it's tangential: Train tickets in the UK. I found thetrainline.com, is that the best/only place to buy tickets?

Website for National Rail is http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/. You can price compare but trains are always expensive as hell in the UK so I don't know that it will make much difference. I always consider driving before rail service whilst traversing the UK given the preponderance of LCCs including EasyJet and Ryan Air.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman you ever used Skypass to book Emirates via Korean Air?

When I call to hold the reservation they quote a different rate than the membership guide says, hanging up and calling again is proving to be futile. The membership guide seems to make it look like the award is 35000 per <round trip, mile> which isn't out of line given Emirates charges 37,500 for a round trip saver ticket.

Anyways I'm probably reading this wrong but it appears to be more confusing than usual.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Mackieman you ever used Skypass to book Emirates via Korean Air?

When I call to hold the reservation they quote a different rate than the membership guide says, hanging up and calling again is proving to be futile. The membership guide seems to make it look like the award is 35000 per <round trip, mile> which isn't out of line given Emirates charges 37,500 for a round trip saver ticket.

Anyways I'm probably reading this wrong but it appears to be more confusing than usual.

I have not, but much more of the time than should be normal, booking via partners is a shitshow. That seems like a common and somewhat reasonable discrepancy that I'd likely overlook and just book it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bobalbmi posted:

I always use them when flying to America. No problems, pretty comfy actually. They just charge way too much for baggage and food.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I want to buy a flight for my mother to come visit me for Christmas. She is planning on buying it but she doesn't have much money and I want to surprise her, she's already told work the days she needs off. Here's the details:

Origin: BOS (Logan)
Destination: DFW (DFW Intl)
Time: December 23 - December 28
Flexibility: Ehh, return date could be 28th-31st

Also she has trouble getting to the airport so flights departing from BOS after 12pm-1pm would be ideal so she can make it on time. The lowest I'm seeing right now is $390 round trip via Google and American Airlines.

If I should buy buy that flight now let me know :)

Thanks for the help guys, it's appreciated.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 11, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a very reasonable price for the busy Christmas season.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

peanut posted:

That's a very reasonable price for the busy Christmas season.

Yeah, :agreed:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, buy it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Want to see if I've done this properly

Origin Melbourne
Destination Hong Kong
Duration of trip with dates Want to leave 23rd (evening / late) or 24th early. Come back 3rd, or 4th of Jan. More flexible on the return days.
Flexibility Want to get to Hong Kong on Christmas eve but not late, earliest I can leave is afternoon / evening of the 23rd. No ridiculously long stopovers.

2 adults, 2 kid under 12.

Cheapest total I've been getting is ~ $5500 aud including all taxes ($3997usd) and that's including either a stopover in Sydney, Brisbane or Shanghai. Varying times in each.

I've found one for $4500 aud total but with a 9 hour stopover in Chengdu which is a buzzkill with two little ones.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Beetphyxious posted:

Want to see if I've done this properly

Origin Melbourne
Destination Hong Kong
Duration of trip with dates Want to leave 23rd (evening / late) or 24th early. Come back 3rd, or 4th of Jan. More flexible on the return days.
Flexibility Want to get to Hong Kong on Christmas eve but not late, earliest I can leave is afternoon / evening of the 23rd. No ridiculously long stopovers.

2 adults, 2 kid under 12.

Cheapest total I've been getting is ~ $5500 aud including all taxes ($3997usd) and that's including either a stopover in Sydney, Brisbane or Shanghai. Varying times in each.

I've found one for $4500 aud total but with a 9 hour stopover in Chengdu which is a buzzkill with two little ones.

I don't see anything cheaper than what you outlined. Chengdu is a nifty city to visit but with the kids in tow and how long it takes to get into town from the airport, I agree it's not worth it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Emirates is a funny airline. The prices haven't moved a dime for months now we're nearing 30 days until departure so I book it -- and there's a total of 16 seats taken on a 773-er.

I know seat maps are no indication of loads but 16 total seats blocked out? That's going to be a fun one.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

I have gone off Emirates. DBX was never amazing (really overcrowded) , but it seems the last few times I passed through there the trip from gate to gate took forrrrrever.

Not to mention they lost my bags for 5 days last time I flew with them t:reject:t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm seeing $850 round trip on Korean Air for roundtrip to Manilla from Chicago.

There is also United for a few more, but I was wondering if Korean Air is good?