Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The only time running a bobcat is tricky is when you're used to one brand's control scheme and you try to operate another - there's absolutely no standardization for the bucket controls. If you take your time they're not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

just jack up the front end so it'll clear your wheel wells, and then back up really fast and slam on the brakes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

The only time running a bobcat is tricky is when you're used to one brand's control scheme and you try to operate another - there's absolutely no standardization for the bucket controls. If you take your time they're not bad at all.

ISO supremacy!

(if you have something new enough to be selectable)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

It's going to be a perfect 33.3%/party vote split with the conservatives winning a majority.

I am certainly not a Harper lover as he has done a few things which have greatly pissed me off (C51 for one), but I must admit, I would almost love to see him win a majority just to see the utter gnashing of teeth and freaking out of those that have been so incredibly vocal of their distaste for the Conservatives. It would be fascinating to watch the trainwreck unfold if they win, especially a majority.

More on topic, let's hope something concrete actually comes of this.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/highway-2-qeii-adding-lane-high-speed-rail-strudy-1.3255719

quote:

The provincial government is going to study what should be done about congestion on Highway 2 between Calgary and Edmonton.

Roughly 80,000 to 90,000 vehicles use that stretch every day. Premier Rachel Notley says she's keeping an open mind, and widening the road — also known as the Queen Elizabeth II Highway or QEII — is one of the possibilities that will be examined. Other forms of transportation, such as high-speed rail, is being considered. The province has been buying land for the project.

"I'm sure that our ministers will be looking at the most cost effective and environmentally responsible way to do that," said Notley.
Bridge dilemma

Traffic — particularly large trucks — increases every year on the major North American trade corridor, and could triple by 2050, so a consultant will be tasked with coming up with options for the government. Current traffic volumes already exceed the government's own guidelines for expanding the highway to six or even eight lanes in some areas. Peter Wallis, with the Van Horne Institute, says widening 300 kilometres of highway will be much tougher and pricier than it sounds.

"An additional lane is going to mean you're going to have to take out all the bridges because all the bridges are completely at capacity at this point," said Wallis. "So if you're going to put an additional lane on either side, all the bridges have to be replaced."

Officials don't yet have estimates for cost or timeframe for the study.
They're going to have to do something and while I am not one for running deficits, it's probably better to spend the money doing it more sooner than later.. although who am I kidding, by the time they decide what to do Tim Horton's workers will be making $30/hour again.

I think a 250KPH rail link between Calgary and Edmonton would be utterly fantastic along with adding 2 more lanes of traffic per direction.

We'll all be dead and buried before that happens

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The easiest solution is to remove speed limits. most of the fuckin thing is dead straight anyways. if people can do twice the speed limit, they'll spend half as much time on it.

Also, pave forestry trunk road, incentivize poo poo heading to fort mac to use 36, and straighten kinks and prioritize 36 traffic to make it a straight shot.

Increase turnpike double weight limits to 80,000kg, and their speed limits to 110. ban trucks limited to less off 2 and 43.

And Finally, re-test all gravel truck drivers. Deport those who fail. Even the ones born here(that means you, jerry).

15 years of road construction isn't going to fix it. high speed rail would be nice, but unless you could load cars up on it, you'd have to work on the local public transit systems first.

Realistically, they could build 2 new 2 lane highways, use that as southbound, and all 4 current lanes as northbound with 2 lanes being public/truck at 110 and 2 lanes unrestricted toll road.

I would pay 5 bucks to do 250 to calgary or edmonton.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

The easiest solution is to remove speed limits. most of the fuckin thing is dead straight anyways.
Oh god, the sheer number of morons driving bro-trucks in an autobahn type setting would be a fast way to lower the population if nothing else.

Speaking as someone who has driven a reasonable amount in Europe and all over North America, North American drivers by and large are terrible. It would be the fastest way to make sure that experiment would never be tried again in North America.

quote:

And Finally, re-test all gravel truck drivers
Change this to re-test all drivers, especially commercial drivers and have real drivers training especially for newly licensed drivers, and it would be a good start.

High speed rail wouldn't take any real significant amount of traffic off the highway, it would just be another transportation option and frankly makes a lot more sense than taking one of the two dozen flights a day between YYC-YQL.

When I took the train from Ottawa to Montreal last month it was so fast, easy and smooth, even at "only" 160KPH that I don't know why anyone would fly especially if you want to actually go into the cities.

A side-by-side toll Superhighway with a higher, say 150KPH+ speed limit for vehicles that can safely do it (sorry bubba, your diesel bro truck with 44" swampers doesn't count) would probably be a good idea. Hell, a portion of the Trans-Canada is a toll highway New Brunswick.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Drivers testing won't do poo poo. We convert a ton of registrations sight unseen.

There was a thing recently where dudes were mail ordering drivers licenses from Romania that would be instantly converted to a full non graduated class five.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey, 44" super swampers are only turning 1150 RPM at 150mph.

The 26" tall tires on your average BMW are whirring away at 1950RPM, that's just dangerous.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Drivers testing won't do poo poo. We convert a ton of registrations sight unseen.

There was a thing recently where dudes were mail ordering drivers licenses from Romania that would be instantly converted to a full non graduated class five.
That's the part of them problem. We shouldn't just automatically give out equivalent licenses. So the alternative is what? Testing them? Or are you thinking something else?

It's not a uniquely Alberta problem by any means, but having a joke of a test (written and road) when you are a stupid as gently caress teenager and almost certainly not tested again until you either kill someone or your doctor thinks you are a hazard on the road at 95 years old is a joke.

I would have no problem with people needing to have a practical road-test each time their licenses come up for renewal, so every 5 years or whatever that is. Literally every day each one of us sees unbelievably stupid poo poo which would net you a serious fine if not a license suspension in most other civilized countries and would also fail you even on our pathetic drivers exams. We're just so apathetic and take it for granted that people genuinely think nothing is wrong with it.

The problem is that our system is so ingrained it would be like pulling teeth to make a fundamental change and it won't happen.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You'd need to have a complete government controlled testing apparatus in place to make that work.

With most of the licensing houses being contractors, it's too easy to just buy whatever papers you need.

That would be a pretty huge cost that I doubt most Albertans would be willing to pay for. I do agree with you though, regular testing/recertification certainly couldn't hurt.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh for sure and it would never happen.

I do like the idea of a superhighway toll road though. I'd pay $20 for that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think they should set it up so if you're a member of a WCMA affiliated motorsports club and do at least one event per year you can pay $150/yr for exclusive use of the left lane of QE2 at unlimited speed.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got my brother to come operate the bobcat. It was actually a caterpillar and he said it was completely backwards from a bobcat but he made it work no problem.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 5, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is it just me, or does everyone in the world outside of salesman hate the term skid steer?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sounds like a bull with the runs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

And no one likes the skid steer marks on their lawn.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Slung Blade posted:

Is it just me, or does everyone in the world outside of salesman hate the term skid steer?

Its all I grew up knowing as the term, its all I use. I mean, I thought it was the generic term for that kind of machine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't even know what one was for the longest time whenever I heard that.

I've always heard/used "Bobcat"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yup you bounce around moving dirt in a bobcat

ride around in winter on a skidoo

wipe your nose with kleenex

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

yup you bounce around moving dirt in a bobcat

ride around in winter on a skidoo

wipe your nose with kleenex

Tried to get the nut off with Channel Locks, when they slipped off I went at it with a Crescent wrench until the only tool that fit was a Vise Grip.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Tried to get the nut off with Channel Locks, when they slipped off I went at it with a Crescent wrench until the only tool that fit was a Vise Grip.

Dirty.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Better go have a soak in the jacuzzi to clean up.

Maybe enjoy some champagne while you're at it. I hear California makes some nice ones.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=norvbAITAz4

:canada:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
That's loving great. The frozen coffee makes it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Who's close to Viking?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1992-nissan-axess-2-tone-minivan-van/1108196448

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Axxess had way better powertrain options but I'd still rather have a Multi.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I had a healthy chuckle at this:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Starting to be Winter Tire Time again. Who's good around Calgary for mounting tires?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phy posted:

Starting to be Winter Tire Time again. Who's good around Calgary for mounting tires?

Spec R tires. Kyle Ho does a lot to help motorsports in the city, he has a high dollar tire machine, and a great eye for precision.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some guy texted AM770 and said Mulcair had a smile like some naked guy that is about to eat a lot of cake.

:wtc:

Either way, it looks like regression to the mean and they're going to be a distant 3rd again.

Phy posted:

I did that once and it made me buy a set of cheap steel rims for winter duty.

If you haven't actually bought the tires yet, don't forget to check Costco.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also, what's this thing worth?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...gationFlag=true

Half tempted to throw an offer out for it. If they turn it down so be it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Also, what's this thing worth?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...gationFlag=true

Half tempted to throw an offer out for it. If they turn it down so be it.

Well, the last one you paid for was $71,000.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-car-fit-for-the-alberta-premier-jim-prentice-buys-1956-thunderbird-for-71000-at-arizona-auction

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This guy is too weird to not be a goon, or at least someone we know:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/price-drop:-1987-nissan-hardbody-with-turbo-300zx-engine-swap/1094732033

I want that truck, but for like $1500.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's pretty cool, but the VG30ET is terribly gutless off the bottom end until it spools up. Wouldn't be my choice for a 4x4 truck swap but it's cool as hell if nothing else.

Speaking of cool as hell, found out that these things are built locally. I would sell my firstborn for one of these. A dream garage you could move around with you.

http://www.one4haul.com/gallery-3/

e: If you want it for $1500, offer it. It's Kijiji, he's probably already been offered a pitbull or a god only knows what else. $1500 is probably a reasonable offer all things considered.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 9, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Sup AB:AI! I'm in Brooks playing magic spinning Doritos parts hotshot fairy! Apparently there was a S2 RX8 that needed a diff asap.

I've also moved into a house with a garage that literally has more square footage than the entire main level of my old place.

And I traded in the Lambo green Wrangler for something more useful.

Pictures to follow!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I drove around high river a bit this afternoon, holy hell is that depressing.

It's like a straight up zombie movie.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I went to High River a few times last year. I remember wondering why they still had traffic lights.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Coming back from work this afternoon, I saw some dude driving a legally-imported Peugeot 106 - and not a GTi either. On the one hand that's pretty cool, but on the other hand that's an awful lot of work to import a slightly poo poo car...

Ssswitch, was that you I saw?!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I rode through HR on my bike later in the summer after the flood, and I was fascinated by the completely unarmed minimum wage security guards everywhere downtown (to prevent looting I guess?) and the banks/businesses operating out of movable trailers. I remember thinking how awesome it would he to hook up to a bank with a big diesel or semi and just steal a literal entire bank.

My Sister-in-law passed away a few months earlier and the funeral was at a church right down at flood-zero and I remember thinking how a few months earlier it was so different.It was packed and residents everywhere.. and a few months later it was like walking dead or some drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrChips posted:

Coming back from work this afternoon, I saw some dude driving a legally-imported Peugeot 106 - and not a GTi either. On the one hand that's pretty cool, but on the other hand that's an awful lot of work to import a slightly poo poo car...

Ssswitch, was that you I saw?!

Was it blue by chance? I've seen one park around downtown a few times. Its interesting but like you said it seems like a ton of work for no reason.

I always thought it was weird that I've yet to see a Renault Alpine, you can't go more than a week without seeing a beat to poo poo skyline, but anything interesting from europe? Forget it.