Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I scored a 2015 George T Stagg for $80 in VA today... lol, I win

http://imgur.com/vPi9GN4

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Nope, I lose. Just tried it and it's kind of crap compared to 2013 and 2014 iterations. very metallic tasting this year, almost like old forester.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's too bad. But put it away and try again in a week.

In my experience the first bit on a just opened bottle isn't as good as the rest.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

That's too bad. In my experience the first bit on a just opened bottle isn't as good as the rest.

That's why I buy booze in advance if I'm going to share. I take the first shot for the team before we get down to seriously drinking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

2DCAT posted:

Nope, I lose. Just tried it and it's kind of crap compared to 2013 and 2014 iterations. very metallic tasting this year, almost like old forester.

yeah give it a little bit. If it's still bad pour out a glass or two worth and let it sit for an hour then try it again.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
For any rye lovers, I have had 2 of what are, so far, the bestest ryes I have had. They are Whistle Pig 10 yr Straight Rye and Turley Mills Cask Strength . Get them if you like rye. That is all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Do you drink it straight, or tend to make manhattans or old fashioneds or such? I had the whistlepig at a company whiskey tasting and hoo boy it was my favorite of the lot. Rittenhouse bonded is my only other real foray into rye, but I think the whistlepig is next.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

silvergoose posted:

Do you drink it straight, or tend to make manhattans or old fashioneds or such? I had the whistlepig at a company whiskey tasting and hoo boy it was my favorite of the lot. Rittenhouse bonded is my only other real foray into rye, but I think the whistlepig is next.

I either drink it straight or I kinda split the difference between straight and an old fashioned.....a teaspoon of simple and a few dashes of bitters. At the end of the day....oh man, happy glass.

e: Do try to get your hands on that Turley Mill....it's insanely delicious.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I scored a WLW for $80 today now too... i'm on a roll!

http://imgur.com/7tNnLMb

Seriously though, the 2015 George T Stagg is a bit disappointing compared to previously years. My 2013 bottle remains my favorite of the last 5 years. I'd put the 2015 one slightly over the 2014 bottle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like BTAC hit Michigan a couple days ago in certain counties. I hate being the guy who calls about limited releases, but I'm tempted to call around on my lunch break.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've been a bourbon fan for quite a while now usually in the form of old fashions made with Bulleit bourbon but have recently discovered single malt scotch and developed quite a taste for the stuff. I usually enjoy mine sipping with a few ice cubes made with RO water and about 3 shots or so in my glass. So far I've tried Macallan 12yr and Chivas Regal 18yr and enjoyed them both but found the Chivas more to my tastes. I also found that for a blended Johnnie Walker Double Black is quite enjoyable with its smoky flavor, I'm on my second bottle of that but now I'm having trouble deciding what to try next. Does anyone have any recommendations, I've just been browsing the shelves at my favorite liquor stores looking for specials and whatever catches my eye and on recommendations from people I trust to have similar tastes.

I am so glad I found this thread, I'm a novice in this area.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

I've been a bourbon fan for quite a while now usually in the form of old fashions made with Bulleit bourbon but have recently discovered single malt scotch and developed quite a taste for the stuff. I usually enjoy mine sipping with a few ice cubes made with RO water and about 3 shots or so in my glass. So far I've tried Macallan 12yr and Chivas Regal 18yr and enjoyed them both but found the Chivas more to my tastes. I also found that for a blended Johnnie Walker Double Black is quite enjoyable with its smoky flavor, I'm on my second bottle of that but now I'm having trouble deciding what to try next. Does anyone have any recommendations, I've just been browsing the shelves at my favorite liquor stores looking for specials and whatever catches my eye and on recommendations from people I trust to have similar tastes.

Just as a quick primer there are two main types of scotch. Single Malt Scotch is all malt and has a few other restrictions but is basically the real deal. Macallan 12 would be an example. The other kind is Blended Scotch which is some amount of single malt scotches blended with "grain whiskey" i.e. vodka. Both the chivas and johnnie walker are blended scotch. There's nothing particularly wrong with blended scotch, but it has a smooth (read: watered down with vodka) flavor that most people grow out of quickly once they get into the hard stuff. The only thing with johnny and chivas is that they are not that much cheaper as you might expect something watered down with vodka to be, and so for the price of your Chivas 18 you can get something full strength and with a lot more flavor. The good thing is that with single malts there are basically no bad ones. There are lots of different flavor profiles and you may not enjoy the smokiness of Islay scotches for example, and there are some single malts that are a little lame for their price, but you can't go wrong with even the most mass-market brands like Macallan and Glenlivet. My only recommendation is just to avoid blended scotch in the future, it's not bad, it's just not good.

swimming anime fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 19, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

swimming anime posted:

Just as a quick primer there are two main types of scotch. Single Malt Scotch is all malt and has a few other restrictions but is basically the real deal. Macallan 12 would be an example. The other kind is Blended Scotch which is some amount of single malt scotches blended with "grain whiskey" i.e. vodka. Both the chivas and johnnie walker are blended scotch. There's nothing particularly wrong with blended scotch, but it has a smooth (read: watered down with vodka) flavor that most people grow out of quickly once they get into the hard stuff. The only thing with johnny and chivas is that they are not that much cheaper as you might expect something watered down with vodka to be, and so for the price of your Chivas 18 you can get something full strength and with a lot more flavor. The good thing is that with single malts there are basically no bad ones. There are lots of different flavor profiles and you may not enjoy the smokiness of Islay scotches for example, and there are some single malts that are a little lame for their price, but you can't go wrong with even the most mass-market brands like Macallan and Glenlivet. My only recommendation is just to avoid blended scotch in the future, it's not bad, it's just not good.

Blended scotch is, to me, better than single malt for mixing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SpeedFreek posted:

I would say if you are liking the smoky flavors in the double black then to go get a bottle of Laphroaig 10 or try some at a bar. It's a good scotch on the very heavy peated (smoky flavor) end of the spectrum of scotches. If you like it, it's a solid buy and you can try stuff like Oban or Ardbeg in that similar character. If you don't like it then you can start working towards Macallan, Glenlivet and Balvenie instead.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Blended scotch is, to me, better than single malt for mixing.

I only mix scotch with ice, I use bourbon for old fashions.

I'll take a look at the store tomorrow for one of those and probably pick up a bottle, I have been trying to stay away from blended but if its on special like that 18yr I'll try it and double black is just tasty to me.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpeedFreek posted:

I only mix scotch with ice, I use bourbon for old fashions.

I'll take a look at the store tomorrow for one of those and probably pick up a bottle, I have been trying to stay away from blended but if its on special like that 18yr I'll try it and double black is just tasty to me.

Look at this guy who doesn't drink rusty nails or blood and sands.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What, I just like mixing with bourbon. Is there something I need to try?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpeedFreek posted:

What, I just like mixing with bourbon. Is there something I need to try?

Cocktails. There's a whole world out there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cocktails are training wheels. :smuggo:

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cocktails. There's a whole world out there.

Seriously guys, he's new to all this, please don't lead him astray. Let him drink some freakin scotch and learn what he likes before you gently caress everything up with drambuie or orange juice. Baby steps.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just drink whatever the gently caress you want, jesus

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Before things get carried away, I was kidding. I'm a big fan of drink how/what you want.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

I would suggest water instead of ice cubes... lets you control how diluted your drink gets. But then again, experiment and do whatever you like best.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'll be headed to Scotland in a couple of weeks, and we're looking at a number of tours out of Edinburgh that hit distilleries during the tour. I was wondering if you guys had opinions of the various locations as the only one I've event heard of is the Famous Grouse.

One tour gets us to Glengoyne distillery, Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond
Another gets us to the Dalwhinnie distillery, along with Loch Ness and other highlands locations
Another gets us to Famous Grouse, Loch Lomond, Trossachs National Park, and some waterfall spots
Lastly the tour that hits two distilleries, Glengoyne and Deanston, also hits Loch Lomond.

I know that I can get Famous Grouse pretty much anywhere here in the US, but have no idea which distillery tours are better than others, or which of the extra places included on the tours are better than others.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
personally i would go for the second one, but that's just because i've been to Dalwhinnie and the scenery surrounding it is gorgeous. their whisky isn't particularly special IMO, but i'm an Islay guy so i'm biased. they're owned by Diageo, so they have all of their single malts available in their tasting room (which includes talisker, oban, and lagavulin).

i would skip anything that focuses on blended whisky, like the Famous Grouse tour.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The Deanston tour was pretty neat when I took it in that, unlike most others, they let you stick your head in the aging warehouse, where you can probably get drunk off the air.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i should probably throw in a plug for Laphroaig's "Water to Whisky Experience". if you like Laphroaig you owe it to yourself to put it on your bucket list. definitely the most enjoyable 5 hours i spent in scotland.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

i should probably throw in a plug for Laphroaig's "Water to Whisky Experience". if you like Laphroaig you owe it to yourself to put it on your bucket list. definitely the most enjoyable 5 hours i spent in scotland.

I've only had a few Scotch whiskeys, and I've enjoyed the Macallan 12, 18, and cask stuff I've had, wasn't as thrilled with Glenmorangie. Haven't tried Lagavulin or Laphroiag, or any of the Islay single malts. We're limited to day trips out of Edinburgh, so basically the lowland distilleries I mentioned above are our options.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Mahler posted:

I would suggest water instead of ice cubes... lets you control how diluted your drink gets. But then again, experiment and do whatever you like best.

I've tried that, don't care for it. When it gets to a certain point its really tasty and goes down kinda quickly without me even noticing until my drink is gone.

I enjoy a good old fashioned, mojitos, and margaritas but besides that I like my liquor on ice.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I went to Scotland recently and we did 3 distillery tours, which were all great for different reasons:

Dalwhinnie - Tiny little distillery compared to others we visited. Was good to see how it works on a small scale. Their scotch is a delicious sweet highland malt. They do a whisky and chocolate tasting, which i thought was a bit of a gimmick, the chocolate just masks the taste of the whisky. They also sell some whiskys which are quite difficult to get hold of normally, such as the Triple Matured. Scenery here is spectacular, also it's quite cold and can be difficult to get to in winter.

Glenmorangie - We did the Signet tour, this place was a major contrast to the previous one, with their 12(?) huge stills compared to Dalwhinnie's 2. The tour is in-depth and you get to taste the spirit at various stages of the process. This tour culminates with a trip to a private tasting room, where you get to taste the standard Glenmorangie and the Signet, they then offered us to taste any of their other scotchs we liked, so i went for the 25yo and their new extra matured expression. This was by far the most generous tour with samples, but is a little more expensive. (we were the only ones of the signet tour)

Macallan - This is on another scale again compare to the two previous ones. This place is HUGE! The tour here is the most in-depth by miles, it lasts over 2 hours and goes over everything from making barrels and sourcing water right through to the warehouses which store the spirit. This will be even more impressive in a few years time when their new buildings are finished, which will make them the largest distillery in Scotland.

All in all i think Glenmorangie was my favourite tour and not just because it's my favourite Scotch. The extra samples and the personalised tasting really made it. But for actual content and overall knowledge, the Macallan tour was amazing.

Apache
May 11, 2004

We'll be hitting Deanston's and Glengoyne. Hopefully getting some stuff that's not available in the US, it will be interesting to see the differences in the distilleries there versus say Jack Daniels here or Jamison in Ireland. We'll probably also do the Scotch Whisky experience in Edinburgh, though I'm not sure if we'll do the Gold tour or the Masterclass.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Today was a good whisky day in Chicago. I wanted to purchase a celebratory whisky, so I went with the Glenfarclas, but I also got the chance to purchase a comically sized bottle of Weller 12... I didn't even know they sold it in a 1.75l.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What are the chances I can find old forester birthday bourbon in / around NYC? I got a bottle 2 years ago and it was probably my favorite bourbon I'd ever had. Is it going to be as bad as finding Pappy?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

What are the chances I can find old forester birthday bourbon in / around NYC? I got a bottle 2 years ago and it was probably my favorite bourbon I'd ever had. Is it going to be as bad as finding Pappy?

The only reason it's not as hard to find as Pappy this year is because there's about 50 percent less Pappy to be found- the angel's share was heavy. But there were people lined up for hours the day OFBB was released, so it's going to be really hard to find for msrp. It's ridiculous at this point.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

swimming anime posted:

Grain Whisky is not Vodka.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

biglads posted:

Grain Whisky is not Vodka.

ROFL. Oh Jesus, I didn't even see that.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So -- I work for the distributor of Sazerac in NYC, pre-orders were done this morning for on and off premise. As someone above said, a much smaller amount of juice to go around this year, at least of BTAC and Van Winkle 23yr. All the other Van Winkles shouldn't be too hard to find, we had enough to go around for people who had history, but something like Pappy 23, there's 150 bottles in the entirety of metro new york (and nobody receives more than 1 bottle of the nicer stuff). Historical accounts should receive it Nov 2nd, then December will be new customers (maybe a better shot than what isn't locked up already)? Then January is whoever was allocated 10-13-15-20 but didnt take it :psyduck:.

The sad thing is, while I could tell you exactly who got what, there's no guarantee that the fuckers aren't just going to sit on it/put it on auction or something.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Just got the call today. NoVA stores got some Pappy in.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Bunk Rogers posted:

Just got the call today. NoVA stores got some Pappy in.

Can confirm, I got a phone call today and I'm up in Fairfax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Burke here. Did your shop mention that the list for Pappy is now an online thing? Im hoping the dude I spoke with was loving with me.

Edit:

quote:

In October 2015 a new statewide policy was established stating that Pappy 15, 12 and 10 year products will be shipped to Virginia ABC stores where they must be placed on the store shelf and sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 30, 2015