Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Meant more like don't even look at the 3rd game because it's idiotic and bad but eh.

I am curious though, and probably been answered before but how come the guys never abandon ship on a LP? I wouldn't say jump off only a couple episodes in but we're at 15 and it's severely hated- why on earth is it still being forced when almost no one likes it, especially when there's things people actually want going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Meant more like don't even look at the 3rd game because it's idiotic and bad but eh.

I am curious though, and probably been answered before but how come the guys never abandon ship on a LP? I wouldn't say jump off only a couple episodes in but we're at 15 and it's severely hated- why on earth is it still being forced when almost no one likes it, especially when there's things people actually want going on.

Because then the stupid fans win, and as much as I don't watch much of the Dangan LP, letting the fans influence if an LP finishes or not is really lovely for them in the long run. When it's finished, it's just a mediocre at best LP. If they stop, every single LP that isn't liked will be 10 times worse because they would have precedent of stopping a playthrough.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Do the best friends like Disgaea because if they I do I hope 5 gets a one off video, just for the pro-wrestler demon who throws people.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tbf, that kind of mentality is just as toxic. I'd say it's likely because they plan a certain amount of content for x day here and there and just stopping throws a wrench into the works and caused disorder with a schedule. Also these episodes are recorded several days in advance and there are probably only so many sessions they do and can't possibly account for a mass dislike of any of them. Especially when the worst it ever got was the Nuzlocke which mostly got lovely comments, but wasn't really reviled.

It might also just because they are committed to their idea and want to see it through to the end. Maybe Matt could shine a light, but I feel the answer is not "Because it sets a precedent"

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 6, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

Because then the stupid fans win, and as much as I don't watch much of the Dangan LP, letting the fans influence if an LP finishes or not is really lovely for them in the long run. When it's finished, it's just a mediocre at best LP. If they stop, every single LP that isn't liked will be 10 times worse because they would have precedent of stopping a playthrough.

Yeah can't say this makes a lot of sense, when the like bar is 1-1000 and all the comments are SERIOUSLY PLEASE STOP... it's not really about who "wins" it's just really bad. Nuzlocke isn't looked back as a mediocre LP, it's looked as a trainwreck that had a livestream event to tie it up that wasn't salvaged till the very end (apparently, I missed it and will never see it)

It's not even a knock against Liam and Woolie exactly- I like both of the dudes, but they seem to not be having much fun and neither is the crowd.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 6, 2015

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah can't say this makes a lot of sense, when the like bar is 1-1000 and all the comments are SERIOUSLY PLEASE STOP... it's not really about who "wins" it's just really bad. Nuzlocke isn't looked back as a mediocre LP, it's looked as a trainwreck that had a livestream event to tie it up that wasn't salvaged till the very end (apparently, I missed it and will never see it)

It's not even a knock against Liam and Woolie exactly- I like both of the dudes, but they seem to not be having much fun and neither is the crowd.

The stream is up on their website. Too lazy to link cuz I'm on my phone but it's under "live streams" I think is the tab

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Some of it is, "it sets a precedent" and some of it is well, "We picked this game, we decided to do it, and not research it at all" and now you have to live with the mistake? I also feel that any LPs that are not great or do not have alot of fans, well, all of them DO have a percentage of people that do like them. And they'd be far more pissed off/disappointed because another group of fans managed to cancel a thing they specifically didn't like.

It's not that much different from fans asking Metroid Federation Force to be cancelled.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fair enough

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I enjoy the DR LP more than the MGSV one. I think Woolie and Liam discussing stupid weaboo poo poo and having fun (probably?) is a better watch than Pat and Liam trying to guess the plot and mechanics of a game I've already finished. Undertale is probably the best current LP though.

Did Woolie give up on Reboot? I know he said updates would be sporadic but it's been what, 3 weeks now? He can't give up after that sick intro he got.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I never realized the nuzlocke had such a backlash. It was good background viewing while I played other stuff.

I liked the original LPs of DR1 and 2 (while it lasted) by orenronen, so even if UDG was good, the Zaibatsu is not the first place I'd go for an LP of it since it's a game I'd want to see the plot of and that is not their forte. Seems pretty tedious from what little I've seen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, Matt's answer is what I would've assumed, pretty much. Sometimes you try something that wasn't that great of an idea and it bombs, poo poo happens, wrap it up and move on. In this specific case, I still don't think there would be anywhere NEAR the amount of hatred and vitriol if the concurrent LPs weren't mega-popular games. I mean, some of it even dripped down into Star Fox Adventures for a while. So cancelling it because of fan "feedback" wouldn't be that smart, I think. The LP itself ain't THAT bad.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Did Woolie give up on Reboot? I know he said updates would be sporadic but it's been what, 3 weeks now? He can't give up after that sick intro he got.

I wouldn't surprised if next episode Matt sneakily replaced Woolie's Playstation and copy of Reboot with a SEGA CD and this beauty. I mean, I'd have a hard time telling the difference, the 3D animation quality is on par with Reboot's.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Hey Matt, is there any chance of getting another gaggle of levels together and doing a Mario Maker video 2? Maybe during a lull when you don't have 90 videos going up a day so you're not killing yourselves? That poo poo was aces. Please and thank you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, an addendum. One of these days they will replace the DR videos with 30-min long 3S sessions and no one will be the wiser, mark my words.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

Woolie tells Liam to stop gun-jumping the tutorial three times in the first 10 minutes of the transformers video.

Yeah this is kind of starting to sour me on LP's with Liam on the helm. The gun jumping was fine to joke about but at this point half the time he's doing it it's over cutscenes or dialogue he then gets confused about later and the otehr half the time it's too one of the other guys yelling at him.

I dunno I just find it super weird, with DR: Whatever the subtitle is, that he specifically pick games to play that he wants to enjoy and show off to the audience, games he seems to be going through for the first time, and just kind of doesn't let the game breathe or get a word in.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Blind LP's for games the Zaibatsu really like. I think some of their best LPs have been the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series stuff (with the excepting of Revelations, but that's mostly because I haven't gotten around to seeing that.) not only because they loved the subject matter so much but because they at had at least played through the game before and knew a bit more about how and when they could comment and when they could let the game do its thing. It honestly feels the most natural and fun since you get a more 'structured' video and the blind spots/gaps in their memories lead to great things (See Pat's continual saga of being wrong about every item drop in every Resident evil game ever.).

With that in mind the DR LP just kind of falls apart early on because it's a game that lives or dies by it's setting and characters and those get plowed over constantly so all that's left is really lovely designed gameplay. I'm ambivalent towards DR as a franchise and the way Liam talks about it I figured maybe the game could sell me a bit more on it but I kind of just gave after the second video.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 7, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're not a fan of the Until Dawn/Mortal Kombat X/Last of Us LP?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

You're not a fan of the Until Dawn/Mortal Kombat X/Last of Us LP?

Those are fine (Until Dawn was fantastic) mostly because Matt tends to let poo poo sit for a moment/pays more attention to poo poo going on and Pat at least pretends to pay attention to what characters are saying. My major problem with Blind LPs are when the guys (I'll admit it's usually Liam) just aren't paying attention to things being said at/to them and miss obvious poo poo. They guys are usually good enough that this isn't a huge problem but when it happens it kind of happens big and makes the thing kind of aggravating to watch. As much as I loved them as a whole, parts of the Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne LP's were kind of hard to watch because of them just missing things, either about the setting or the exploration or even just the basic combat (I wonder if Woolie ever figured out you could multi chug estus. Would have saved so many runs).

Maybe it just feels worse than it is since we've gotten a few of those LP's back to back recently. The DR lp just kind of feels a lot like the Astro boy LP to me. It's not fun to watch for gameplay and it's not really getting any of the story/game's charm since it's just "Boy this game has such cool characters" *Immediately thumbs through 20 text boxes in 2 seconds*.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dark Souls 2 wasn't a double-blind LP, though.

Also, Woolie finally learned to double-chug in the middle of the Ivory King DLC because Pat forgot to tell him all this time.

I think it's just Liam. What's an LP with him at the helm and the game breathes?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

TheRealestMatt posted:

Well, I think it did. I had a loving blast playing that game, and I was in a really good mood for once.

Sorry.

I was using that as a recent example pointing out the recent trend over the last few months that you're slowly turning into Pewdiepie but sorry, I'm wrong. I'm the one with the bad opinion.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

I was using that as a recent example pointing out the recent trend over the last few months that you're slowly turning into Pewdiepie but sorry, I'm wrong. I'm the one with the bad opinion.

Being occasionally loud is a long way from "screeching profanities 24/7"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I for one embrace the adventures of PewDiePoutine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Matt does yell frequently when he's excited but again I can't really blame him for it. The guys rarely ever yell so loud that the audio actually clips, except in the case of being spooked by jump scares.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Astroboy

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Matt just make a patreon god drat it do you guys not like money gently caress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I'm saying is, Silentman0 trying to make Matt be self conscious about yelling is bad. It's one thing to complain about it but to respond to the person themselves by getting personally offended about your own accusation is pretty rude, dude.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Silentman0 posted:

Yeah it's a pretty dumb one m8. Condolences.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The guys have always done a lot of yelling, I'm not sure why you think this is a "recent" trend.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Compendium posted:

The guys have always done a lot of yelling, I'm not sure why you think this is a "recent" trend.

Honestly they used to yell more.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Commissar Ken posted:

Hey Matt, is there any chance of getting another gaggle of levels together and doing a Mario Maker video 2? Maybe during a lull when you don't have 90 videos going up a day so you're not killing yourselves? That poo poo was aces. Please and thank you.

Like I said, I had a blast doing that video, and as soon as we were done, I asked Liam about the possibility of doing another one in a few months.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Saturday Scrublords has been on a roll the past few months, every time I think something can't be topped (super fighter) it is. Woolie says he has 100's left, so awesome.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Silentman0 posted:

Jeez, I just get it from all angles, don't I? And I'm sorry, I've been called a downer/sad sack, and I've been accused of getting too hype. I just do whatever I feel like in the moment, and honestly, you'll have to deal with it. If I yell, it's because I legitimately feel like yelling, it's not some planned response or I have an agenda or whatever.

We'll be playing Street Fighter X Tekken soon, and believe me, I won't be yelling, as I won't be saying much at all, as I hate that game and had very little fun playing it. So you'll be free from my screenching siren song.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh god sfxt, that's gonna be a walk down memory lane

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm guessing that means SFXT is gonna be Saturday Scrublords. :v:

Can't wait.

Also Matt, do what you want. That's why I enjoy you and your crew. You guys are a blast when you guys get hype.

I still remember what video got me to be a fan of you guys and it was Metal Wolf Chaos, and I thought FromSoft only did Demon Souls and Dark Souls games.

Granted the first LP I watched was Predator Concrete Jungle which was also hilarious.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not a pleasant one mind you

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

We'll be playing Street Fighter X Tekken soon, and believe me, I won't be yelling, as I won't be saying much at all, as I hate that game and had very little fun playing it. So you'll be free from my screenching siren song.

Why would anyone inflict SFxT on you guys? I'm sure there's many more enjoyable Scrublord games you could have played.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

scream for me matthew

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Are they still making Tekken X Street Fighter?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rhonne posted:

Are they still making Tekken X Street Fighter?

I think it was last year or so that the Tekken creator basically said yes still in the works.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/68579/20150714/dont-lose-hope-tekken-x-street-fighter-is-still-happening-says-bandai-namco.htm

edit: Scratch that, a few months ago.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

We'll get Tekken X Summer Lesson before that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheRealestMatt posted:

We'll be playing Street Fighter X Tekken soon

Please don't turn to self harm