Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

You could use a preheated Dutch oven for steam on demand for the rolls, might improve your crusts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy

joke_explainer posted:

You could use a preheated Dutch oven for steam on demand for the rolls, might improve your crusts.

I have had my eye on a dutch oven for a long time, and now that we're moving to a place with a gas range (instead of this awful electric range) I may have to pick one up. Thanks!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Chicken cheese

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

tonight i'm excited to be taking my wife to applewood for her birthday

it's long been a favorite of ours i've never had a bad meal there

take a look at the menu

http://applewoodny.com/dinner.pdf

joke_explainer

looks really good but oh god why papyrus in the cell phone note

joke_explainer

I'll have the rabbit leg confit, the mussels, and the charcuterie board

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i was actually thinking of the mussels and the rabbit so we're in agreeance, but the charcuterie board while awesome would be one step too far in the gluttony realm

besides i need to save space and money for a campfire cocktail

http://applewoodny.com/cocktails.pdf

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Rabbit leg confit :fap:

I also want the short ribs and spatzle and entire app menu

The X-man cometh
Just made a sirloin steak using Ron Color's technique. It was Amazing.

om nom nom

It was 2 days ago but happy birthday byob food thread!

alnilam

:toot:

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
i just guessed that it was a year and apparently it's four bars, i'm slipping

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

om nom nom

Qwerinty posted:

i just guessed that it was a year and apparently it's four bars, i'm slipping

I saw your post and had to check

joke_explainer

So I'm starting my own levain culture from scratch so I can make some breads without adding any commercial yeast culture to them.

So far the process seems to be, mix some flour and water together (at about 90 degrees water), leave it uncovered by an open window for a couple hours, put the lid on it, leave it out all day and open it up, throw out 3/4th and add more flour and water.

5 days of this and you're supposed to have an active yeast culture, a levain culture unique for each batch. You then feed it daily and use bits of it to make bread. So, no real photos yet as its just a bunch of flour goop, but hopefully once it starts coming together I'll have something to show for it.

joke_explainer

Did not really work out. Day 4 seemed to have a vibrant culture that really volumed up the levain, day 5 called for discarding all but 100 grams of the material. Was basically only dregs on the side left and it stopped rising after I added flour and water again. Disappointing. Might try again later, but it wastes a lot of flour.

Also, Bump. Anybody up to any cool food stuff?

om nom nom

Yea this thread needs to come back to life for sure. It's been a busy summer at the place where I get paid to cook, I'm sure I'll have the time/motivation to do some free time cooking pretty soon here.

I've been working on a steak sauce involving beef glace, brandy caramel, and cream. Made it for the second time today for a high-dollar party at the restaurant tomorrow evening.

Starts with beef stock, which I reduce to around 1/10th of its original volume. Make caramel with 3c brandy, 2 c sugar, and reduce. The toughest part of this step is brandy is already caramel colored, reduced brandy even more so. To test the caramelization, I dip a spoon in and make a lil lolipop to taste once it's cooled. I go for the dark side of caramelized for this sauce.

Once the brandy caramel is where I want it, I add the glace, then heavy cream and thyme. Simmer for a half hour or so to bring out the herbaceous goodness. Then S&P to taste, and perhaps a little lemon juice for acidity. Commense arousal.

The X-man cometh
My wife got some of that Amish friendship bread starter and made a really sweet cake-bread with it. Could I use the same starter, add less sugar, and make a sourdough bread?

dogcrash truther
beware amish friendship. its's never as simple as it seems

The X-man cometh
I'm pretty sure I have to help put up a barn next weekend because of this bread.

social vegan

shabbat goy posted:

Seitan is really good, and you should all try it (whether you make it from scratch or not.) Come to PGH and we'll go to Spak Bros.

hail seitan

The X-man cometh
The friendship starter worked fine, but it came out sweeter and denser than expected. I'm going to fiddle around with the mix and see how it turns out.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
QUESTION FOR OM NOM NOM:

You made a post a few days ago that I'd like you to elaborate on, if you don't mind! I can't find the post, but it was something like this:

"A simple way to make chili taste good is to skip using a million different powdered spices, and instead just saute some spicy peppers at the start."

I guess I am interested to know what your saute might look like as you are starting to make chili. Maybe onions, garlic, and some kind of pepper, in olive oil? What kind of powdered spices would this replace?

I am most interested in vegetarian chili cooking, but anything you have to say would be appreciated!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
pizza eggs with Mediterranean style pizza and quail eggs

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
joke_explainer

blaise rascal posted:

I guess I am interested to know what your saute might look like as you are starting to make chili. Maybe onions, garlic, and some kind of pepper, in olive oil? What kind of powdered spices would this replace?

I am most interested in vegetarian chili cooking, but anything you have to say would be appreciated!

Well, if you're using a mix of dried peppers (which are great for chili), you're basically toasting the peppers with nothing until they start to brown, then soaking them in stock or other water before continuing the process. Medium-high heat and keep them moving without letting them smoke. Then into a cup of simmering stock for like 8 minutes. Then into the food processor. It's replacing the 'chili' pepper or cayenne or w/e. You can use a variety of peppers: ancho, pasilla, arbol, pequin, cascabell, whatever they got on the dried chilis front. The fresh peppers shouldn't be added until later as you will tear gas your house. Later on, yeah, salt, fresh minced garlic, diced onions, toasted and ground whole cumin, coriander toasted and ground, 1 star anise pod toasted and ground, bay leaves, oregano... an ounce of unsweet chocolate, tablespoon of fresh ground coffee. Apple cider vinegar. Bourbon.

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

The fresh peppers shouldn't be added until later as you will tear gas your house.

Did this once incl the seeds :whitewater:

om nom nom

blaise rascal posted:

QUESTION FOR OM NOM NOM:

You made a post a few days ago that I'd like you to elaborate on, if you don't mind! I can't find the post, but it was something like this:

"A simple way to make chili taste good is to skip using a million different powdered spices, and instead just saute some spicy peppers at the start."

I don't know what post you're refering to but I was probably getting at the fact that I've come across plenty of people who think chili=chili powder, and it's flavor comes from the red powder that has been sitting on your shelf for 6 months after it sat for 4 months at the grocery store and a year in some food purveyors warehouse storage. This powder usually contains whatever generic chili was cheapest by the ton at that years commodity auction, salt, cumin, and some preservatives and anti-caking agents.

Your chili should get it's flavor from hot peppers. Real ones. Nothing wrong with dry, but find some local spice guy and get yourself some arbols, cascabels, pequins, pasillas, NM hatch chilis, puyas, whatever. Even get a spice grinder and make your own powder that is just chilis, your blend (experiment this will be long enough without me dealing with specifics on peppers), and not some stale bullshit from krogers. Sometimes I'll make a paste in the food processor by dry sauteeing my chilis until they are roasty and adding just enough oil to make it of paste consistency.

Combine this with a variety of fresh peppers, mild, hot, and in between. You can probably find 6 or 7 varieties at whatever grocery store you go to.

Read up a little bit on peppers-some kick you in the dick right off the bat, some have a gradual increase that you don't notice until you realize you're sweating and your nose is running. Mix and match a variety of dried and fresh chili peppers and you can create some great flavors and unique heat sensations. Mccormicks chili powder Will never compare.

If I were to make vegan chili, I would soak some red, black, and pinto beans the day before. This is my generic bean blend as an omnivore who leans towards carnivore in preference, use what you love. The next day I'd simmer the beans in some vegetable stock with a couple of bat leaves, herbs, and spices. I'd cook them until they were about 80% done, so they could soak up the juices in the chili to finish.

I'd quarter a half dozen or so tomatoes, combine them with a small can of chipotles in adobo sauce, and throw them in the oven at 225F, to be dried and pureed as a thickening agent. I'd dice and strain a few more tomatoes to go in as vegetables.

I'd dice some onions, a bell pepper, three anaheims, two pasillas, four jalapenos, a serrano, and maybe a habenero if I'm really feeling spicy. These are your peppers that you will most likely find in the grocery store. Mince a few cloves of garlic, and a half dozen or so shallots. Get my pot nice and hot and drop some canola oil in, I'm not going to waste my expensive olive oil not tasting it, and drop the onions and shallots in.

Once the onions and shallots caramelize, in goes the garlic and the peppers. Or follow the other guys advice about hot peppers later, I just spend my days under industrial hoods. Get them to just cooked, you'll smell the garlic opening up, and your peppers will take on a brilliant green. You don't want it to go to that shotty overcooked green. Deglaze with some red wine, and cook the alcohol out.

At this point, add some veg stock and your beans and tomatoes, and some of the chipotle/tomato paste. At this point it should be soupier than you want it at the end, remember those beans still have a little ways to go. Give it a few minutes to come to temp, and give it a taste. Judge your spiciness. Salt, cumin, some of your dried chilis in the form of home made powder or paste, fresh oregano, fresh thyme, bay leaves,black pepper. A pinch more salt. Simmer low, let it all come together for an hour or so. Have some veg stock on hand in case the beans are thirstier than you think.

Taste, season, taste, season, taste.....
Adjust salt levels. Adjust heat. Taste frequently and add tiny bits at a time. You can always add more, but if you can figure out how to unsalt a dish you've got me beat.

Once the beans are cooked, Get the rest of the tomato/chipotle paste in there. Final round of seasoning. If you've got some fresh basil, mince that and throw it in right after you kill the heat. You can eat a bowl now if you want but it will taste better tomorrow.

I totally switched from 1st person to 2nd person somewhere in the middle there and I'm not fixing it. gently caress yea fine dini,g effort post, it's been too long.

om nom nom

Alright blaise rascal I effort posted, you're up. Lets hear the tale of the chili you made and see some pics of it happening.

blaise rascal

Thanks so much to the two of you who responded, that really made my day! I don't have access to a grocery store for a few days but when I do, I'll make chili and post a trip report.

ron color

The X-man cometh posted:

Just made a sirloin steak using Ron Color's technique. It was Amazing.

nice

Scaly Haylie

til i hate ranch dressing

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
Ever since I took over Thanksgiving dinner I've done away with the Turkey. It was just boring, you know? So this year I was thinking of making every one a Panzerotti with a side of breaded mushrooms.

----------------

om nom nom

Volume posted:

Ever since I took over Thanksgiving dinner I've done away with the Turkey. It was just boring, you know? So this year I was thinking of making every one a Panzerotti with a side of breaded mushrooms.

I'm a fan of TBLTAs (turkey bacon lettuce tomato avocado) cause sandwiches the next day are the best part anyways. Unless I'm back east at my grandparents then tradition is where it's at.

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
i went to a nice steak place nad my wife heard someone order the steak well done. what a tragedy

thanks Manifisto!

Robot Made of Meat

Volume posted:

I agree about the turkey. It's like they had to invent a holiday just to fool people into eating it. Many years back, I ditched traditional thanksgiving, and started doing big meals based around different cuisines. Now it's something to look forward to rather than something to dread.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to hear some of what you've done. I'm always looking for new meal ideas for Thanksgiving. We've done Mexican, seafood, roasted lamb with a strawberry salad.

----------------

blaise rascal

I made chili, but it was more similar how I've done it in the past than any post in this thread, due to all kinds of time/money/ingredient/equipment restraints. I'm sorry! I'll try better next time.

I did use dried beans for the first time, though. This worked out fine although even after soaking overnight and simmering for a while, they weren't as soft as I would've liked.

blaise rascal

The cool thing about chili is that you can make it up and add whatever you want, and if it does not turn it that great, you can just choke it down anyway while crying

om nom nom

Hey don't let the pros/serious hobbyists get you down, we're just happy your doing scratch cooking. At least I am.

Beans take a loooong time, even when soaked. That's why I like to cook them most of the way with stock and herbs (and a smoked ham hock/bone) before simmering in chili, and I simmer my chili for a good few hours.

Come back if you've got more questions or just want to tell us about something cool you're trying. I think we all love seeing this thread live on and people showing interest in food, regardless of skill level.

alnilam

beans slow cooker crockpot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav

by Azathoth
i just touched my butthole after eating sriracha drenched noodles

----------------