Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ruffz posted:

Ugh yes. Don't use a powerleveling guide unless you want to burn out. Back in the vanilla version of the game, there used to be gaps in leveling where you'd almost HAVE to grind if you couldn't find a group to do fellowship quests. Grinding was horrible. In LOTRO, the fun is in the journey to the level cap. Take your time, stop and smoke some pipeweed at the scenic locations. Trust me, it's a lot more fun that way. This game is still beautiful after 8 years. If you're not a LOTR or Tolkien fan and don't care about the story or environments, I don't really know why you'd play this game.

Oh I'm not. I just wanted to find a nice quest hub where I could pop a booster to maximize usefulness but I really don't care that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I'm not. I just wanted to find a nice quest hub where I could pop a booster to maximize usefulness but I really don't care that much.

Thornhope in Entwash Vale was a place I popped tokens on a couple of my characters and got like a level and a half in about 20 minutes. I think the quests are around 81-82.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh cool. I'll head there as soon as I can. It's on my LM that I don't really want to level to max after realizing I'm dead awful at it. On the one hand it's a pity to have it so close to level 100, but I would never want to group with him because I have no idea what to do as a LM. I abused and continue to abuse the pet's waaaaay too much, to the point that I am wholly incompetent with the class.

On the bright side I've regained interest in my runekeeper who I'll take through to at least the Misty Mountains if not higher. Also on a whim I rolled a guardian and though I'm only in the intro area it seems pretty fun. I'm torn between re-reading all the quest text again or blasting through it.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I have a policy of reading quest text my first time through the content, and sometimes I'll reread it on another character if I haven't played through a zone in a long time. They do a pretty good job at telling the story, even in areas where it's somewhat made up because the trilogy books didn't go in depth. I know some people do it the opposite way and zoom through quests on their main character, then read the text on an alt. If there's any MMO out there where you should read at some point, it's this one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah this is the one place where texts matters and it's why I'm cautious when questing with others since I've run into people who become impatient with me while I read quest text. Since I took the shire as my starter area (best area) I want to read it because it's so well-done. I am blasting through the Rohan stuff though because Rohan can go burn in a ditch. This game made me really hate Rohan, which sucks because so rarely is the Anglo-Saxon heritage of English culture represented in media.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Playing this gave me a LOTR itch so I re-read the trillogy over the past week. I'm absolutely blown away by how faithful a lot of the poo poo in the game is to the descriptions in the books. Whoever designed the environments etc. really had a major love for Tolkien's work. I think the only real "error" I've found so far (through early Moria) is that the bottom floor of the Prancing Pony isn't half-sunk into the hillside, and that's about as nitpicky as you can get.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Their license requires them to follow the lore very closely, which is why it surprised me that they sent us through the Paths of the Dead to get to Gondor. We go through after Aragorn & Co. do, and supposedly it's "cleared out" so ordinary people can pass without certain death.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Playing this gave me a LOTR itch so I re-read the trillogy over the past week. I'm absolutely blown away by how faithful a lot of the poo poo in the game is to the descriptions in the books. Whoever designed the environments etc. really had a major love for Tolkien's work. I think the only real "error" I've found so far (through early Moria) is that the bottom floor of the Prancing Pony isn't half-sunk into the hillside, and that's about as nitpicky as you can get.

I know right? I'm going to read Children of Hurin as my next book.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How big is the full updated install folder now?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

sassassin posted:

How big is the full updated install folder now?

Mine is 20.2 GB

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The steam download comes to 20.3. Was worried patching was going to bloat it massively. Space on the SSD is in short supply.

Maybe it's up to date doesn't need much patching.

edit: It took very little patching, I started it up, got confused, and shut it down again.

My super fancy legendaries have some garbage legacies now. I know I wouldn't have put "Sting critical rating" on anything.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 6, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I have 30k turbine points from being a turd awesome lifetime sub.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there any reason to keep old legendaries around? I upgraded my sword and I'm thinking it's probably best just to scrap it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there any reason to keep old legendaries around? I upgraded my sword and I'm thinking it's probably best just to scrap it.

To the literal amazement of the man who designed the system, yes, it is always best to scrap them once you've outlevelled them even a little bit, to use a legacy/xp etc. on a newer, shinier model.

Unless they changed it recently.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sassassin posted:

To the literal amazement of the man who designed the system,

Is there some backstory here?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

To the literal amazement of the man who designed the system, yes, it is always best to scrap them once you've outlevelled them even a little bit, to use a legacy/xp etc. on a newer, shinier model.

Unless they changed it recently.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there some backstory here?

It was HorseDev and temporary Executive Producer Rowan that expressed shock when they found out that we regularly decon LIs every 5 levels. I think it was either JWBerry or Zombie Columbus that actually designed the system, but don't quote me on that.

My install is 20.5 GB. :iiam:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah the Turbine guys were somehow surprised that people will replace LIs every few levels. I think they really believed someone was going to get a low 50s 2nd age and use it all the way to level 60 when Moria came out, rather than what people actually did, which was to constantly replace stuff with better drops because there was no reason not to.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Clear every warband you can and then turn them all in at once after using a booster during a big quest turn in. Boosting a dozen or so warband turn-ins can be a lot of extra XP. When Helm's Deep came out I did that and pretty much gained a full level instantly. Also did it in west gondor because there is/was a lull you can run in to otherwise IIRC. either way, if you're using boosters there's no reason not to go kill all the warbands first unless you actively avoid them and the fairly easy XP they give (except the mounted ones who can't be dismounted, gently caress those warbands).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, another question. I just blew up my early legendaries which were leveled into the high 20s. I got a bunch of stuff, including some tokens to toss 67k exp onto another legendary.

What happens if I pop one of those onto something and it levels up past needing a reforge? I think it takes something like 75k total to hit 15, for example. If I dropped the 67k on a brand new item would it hit 10 and then waste the extra exp, or would it be lvl 13 or whatever after the reforging?

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, another question. I just blew up my early legendaries which were leveled into the high 20s. I got a bunch of stuff, including some tokens to toss 67k exp onto another legendary.

What happens if I pop one of those onto something and it levels up past needing a reforge? I think it takes something like 75k total to hit 15, for example. If I dropped the 67k on a brand new item would it hit 10 and then waste the extra exp, or would it be lvl 13 or whatever after the reforging?

Exp will be carried over after reforge so using a large exp rune on a new legendary item is fine.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Stanley Pain posted:

So I have 30k turbine points from being a turd awesome lifetime sub.

drat, unless you're going to sell your account or something you really should probably start spending those on cool rear end stuff. I'd max out my storage in every way possible, deck out in cosmetics, get some horses, and still have enough left for all of the remaining expansions and then some if I were you.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know right? I'm going to read Children of Hurin as my next book.

It's got to be the most underrated book of his, it's the exact opposite of The Silmarillion which is the one all his fans mention but never actually finished reading because it's not linear, not exciting sometimes for 30 pages, etc. Only downside to it I can even think of is that by closely following a small amount of characters and being really mature for his work, it'll never get a video game or a movie. Maybe a movie if Hollywood has a 20 year slump and they need some Tolkien magic.

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're just there to teach you about the system and help you level up really, don't worry about much of the details until you get a 100 first age. Don't use your best relics or spend much on relics until 100. At 100 it'll be the first time you really should get your first ages made before you decon your old ones, only because you'll want to max out the level on them, see which legacies you're missing that you really want/need, then decon the old one and pick one of those to save to put on your new one.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 7, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

It's got to be the most underrated book of his, it's the exact opposite of The Silmarillion which is the one all his fans mention but never actually finished reading because it's not linear, not exciting sometimes for 30 pages, etc. Only downside to it I can even think of is that by closely following a small amount of characters and being really mature for his work, it'll never get a video game or a movie. Maybe a movie if Hollywood has a 20 year slump and they need some Tolkien magic.

I really really really like the Silmarillion. I think what worries me is that since I know the story having read the earlier versions in the Sil I'm hoping it isn't too similar since it's been only a year since I last re-read it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clear every warband you can and then turn them all in at once after using a booster during a big quest turn in. Boosting a dozen or so warband turn-ins can be a lot of extra XP. When Helm's Deep came out I did that and pretty much gained a full level instantly. Also did it in west gondor because there is/was a lull you can run in to otherwise IIRC. either way, if you're using boosters there's no reason not to go kill all the warbands first unless you actively avoid them and the fairly easy XP they give (except the mounted ones who can't be dismounted, gently caress those warbands).

I like this idea. I can be around pretty much all day tomorrow if any level 100's want to help me clear out some of the harder warbands in the area since I am again a pathetically bad loremaster. If you do want to do so just give me the time + timezone you intend to be around and I'll log on then. Most times after 9 pm eastern are gonna be tough for me but I'll try.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 7, 2015

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I haven't logged in in a while as I've had other things to do, but I've been keeping an eye on the thread for server transfer news, though I've got a little bit lost recently ... I'm guessing that Landroval is still the preferred server? Is there a date for when we'll be allowed to transfer there yet?

Edit: Interesting, I just opened the server transfer box and Silverlode isn't appearing there for me anymore. :smith:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

extra stout posted:

drat, unless you're going to sell your account or something you really should probably start spending those on cool rear end stuff. I'd max out my storage in every way possible, deck out in cosmetics, get some horses, and still have enough left for all of the remaining expansions and then some if I were you.

Or save your points to make a tricked out lvl 100 1st age with max tiers before imbuing. The tier scrolls are pretty expensive.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

Yeah I'm gonna unlock a bunch of stuff with it. Don't really want to sell the account because I'm dumb :p

What server are the Goons moving too?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

landofcake posted:

I haven't logged in in a while as I've had other things to do, but I've been keeping an eye on the thread for server transfer news, though I've got a little bit lost recently ... I'm guessing that Landroval is still the preferred server? Is there a date for when we'll be allowed to transfer there yet?

Edit: Interesting, I just opened the server transfer box and Silverlode isn't appearing there for me anymore. :smith:

I don't think our preferred server has changed, but it sounds like a big majority of people from closing servers have gone to Landroval so far. They've had login queues and had to increase the server's capacity already. There's still 5 more servers that get to transfer before Silverlode does, and each server has a higher population than the last (they started with the smallest servers). I don't know how likely it is that they might close Landroval before we get a chance to go there. It looks as though they're letting one new US server transfer every Tuesday, which would put Silverlode in line for November 10th if they don't change anything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Since we're talking Tolkien lore, I finally found something in the game that kind of bugs me: the lighting crystals in Moria. The book was pretty explicit about how it was dark as gently caress except for a few light shafts bored in the side of the mountain and Gimli goes on about how back in the day it was light up with thousands of torches.

From a game making standpoint I kinda see why they did it, but I'd still have preferred a bunch of torches hanging around instead of those glowing crystals.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Since we're talking Tolkien lore, I finally found something in the game that kind of bugs me: the lighting crystals in Moria. The book was pretty explicit about how it was dark as gently caress except for a few light shafts bored in the side of the mountain and Gimli goes on about how back in the day it was light up with thousands of torches.

From a game making standpoint I kinda see why they did it, but I'd still have preferred a bunch of torches hanging around instead of those glowing crystals.

Yeah that confused me as well, and I think Turbine even made it even lighter in Moria with one of their revamps. I think it would've been pretty cool if we'd had to navigate the darkness with our own torches, but I'm not sure how they could've made that work.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ruffz posted:

Yeah that confused me as well, and I think Turbine even made it even lighter in Moria with one of their revamps. I think it would've been pretty cool if we'd had to navigate the darkness with our own torches, but I'm not sure how they could've made that work.

Yeah, I can see how that would have made for some aggravating, lovely gameplay. Personally, what I would have done would be to chain a solo instance off the end of the existing "get into moria" instance where you are one of the first guys in and run around lighting lamps for the first room or so. Kill some monsters, maybe stab a big loving orc in the face as the boss. Then have a nice little conversation with a dwarf where he goes "hey, thanks, we can get the rest of them lit now that the entrance is good to go." Bam. Done. Ditch the stupid crystals and replace them with torches, lanterns, braziers, camp fires, lit forges, etc.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

We also could have maybe had a dwarven companion that carries a torch in front of us so we can fight with both hands. I like your idea though, it would've been pretty badass if they had done that. The crystals don't make much sense to me, and I'm wondering how that was considered passable with the licensing being as strict as it is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxphocker posted:

Or save your points to make a tricked out lvl 100 1st age with max tiers before imbuing. The tier scrolls are pretty expensive.

Can't you buy the scrolls with skirmish marks anymore?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Oxphocker posted:

That is an option, I didn't spend a single turbine point to perfect my first age because I am a real cheap gently caress, but it seems like most people do throw some bucks into their swords. It's not that bad if you find the gold making techniques and make friends and do some swaps, definitely not as insane as buying an expansion pack from doing deeds or anything close to it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't you buy the scrolls with skirmish marks anymore?

You can, barter is in an armory building right near the entrance to Dol Amroth. I did a combo of that from Glinghant runs and buying them on the AH for the 50-60 range, never higher.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Also, Anfalas Crystal of Remembrance are next to impossible to find and cost 995 TP in the store. Appart from that everything can be obtained moderately easily by farming marks and medaillons.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Logged in for the first time in ages and there nine years of anniversary gifts waiting for me.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
So I am interested in playing this game. Does anyone have any tips for me such as what class/race I should be and what server I should play on? If it helps I am kind of new to playing MMOs and I will probably be playing alone most of the time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Drashin posted:

So I am interested in playing this game. Does anyone have any tips for me such as what class/race I should be and what server I should play on? If it helps I am kind of new to playing MMOs and I will probably be playing alone most of the time.

The major goon presence right now is Silverlode. There is an ongoing wave of server mergers happening right now, so we'll be elsewhere in a couple months time, but that doesn't matter for right now. When the move comes you can just go wherever we go.

As for classes, I play a Guardian and it's pretty simple while not being so brain dead that it gets boring. My understanding is that the Champion is pretty simple, but a lot of people complain that it is kind of boring as you do the same attacks over and over again. For what it's worth I find that Guardians are pretty easy to solo with because of how tanky they are. A lot of people say you have a slower go because you don't kill as fast as the other DPS classes, but really I haven't had a problem with that.

I would also add that it's definitely an MMO of the old school. The majority of quests are either 'kill this thing' or 'get this thing,' and if that puts you off in a big way it will be an issue. That said the world is really well developed, loving huge, and the stories are all interesting and well thought out.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Drashin posted:

Race really doesn't matter much at all, because the bonuses and abilities are all really really minor effects on the game. The classes do have race restrictions, so the class you pick will determine your race more than anything.

For a solo run it really doesn't matter what you pick, all the classes are completely viable solo. If you don't like to have to micromanage much, then I would avoid warden as they are probably the most complicated to play. If you like versatility, then Lore-Master or Burglar are probably the best two in that category. If you like never ever dying unless you are pretty much trying to, then guardian would be a good choice (or the Warden or Beorning, but I haven't played Beorning so I can't comment much). The slowest leveling classes for solo play are probably guardian and captain, but this is not a game where leveling speed should really be a big focus, especially for a new player. The journey to max level is the most enjoyable thing in this game in my opinion, so there's no reason to rush it. The most "convenient" classes for solo play are probably Hunter or Warden simply for the fact that they get fast-travel skills to almost every major city in the game. If you like to crank out big damage numbers on lots of targets, then Champion is your best bet. If you like to crank out even bigger damage numbers on single targets, then Hunter or Rune-Keeper are great. If you like to be sneaky, then Burglars are the stealthy class.

So take your pick.

My personal favorite class is the Lore-Master.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Drashin posted:

All of the classes are fun in their own way. I haven't played a Beorning yet, but I've played every other class. My favorites are Burglar, Guardian and Minstrel. You really can't go wrong with any of those three, they're not the "mash the same 3 buttons" kinds of classes.

I think a lot of people would suggest Hobbit or Dwarf for the best race. Hobbits have the best starting zone (The Shire).

Most of us are on Silverlode, waiting for our server to be allowed to transfer to one of the 5 remaining servers. That's most likely going to be happening next month, and Landroval is the preferred destination for many. I typically play alone as well because I have my 2 boys with me during the day and usually can't commit to group content. It'll be nice when we're on a high population server and can see plenty of other players out in the world.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The solution is to get your kids playing Lotro. You'll be able to run all the small fellowship content too.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

My 4 year old has known how to use my computer since he was 2. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's able to play LOTRO by the time he's 6 or 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

flowinprose posted:

Race really doesn't matter much at all, because the bonuses and abilities are all really really minor effects on the game. The classes do have race restrictions, so the class you pick will determine your race more than anything.

For a solo run it really doesn't matter what you pick, all the classes are completely viable solo. If you don't like to have to micromanage much, then I would avoid warden as they are probably the most complicated to play. If you like versatility, then Lore-Master or Burglar are probably the best two in that category. If you like never ever dying unless you are pretty much trying to, then guardian would be a good choice (or the Warden or Beorning, but I haven't played Beorning so I can't comment much). The slowest leveling classes for solo play are probably guardian and captain, but this is not a game where leveling speed should really be a big focus, especially for a new player. The journey to max level is the most enjoyable thing in this game in my opinion, so there's no reason to rush it. The most "convenient" classes for solo play are probably Hunter or Warden simply for the fact that they get fast-travel skills to almost every major city in the game. If you like to crank out big damage numbers on lots of targets, then Champion is your best bet. If you like to crank out even bigger damage numbers on single targets, then Hunter or Rune-Keeper are great. If you like to be sneaky, then Burglars are the stealthy class.

So take your pick.

My personal favorite class is the Lore-Master.

This should go in the OP very concise in a way I could never be.

But yeah Hobbits are the coolest race. That said, I do recommend, no matter what race you choose, to go to the shire to do your starter area because it is by far the best developed and most charming. That said the quests are usually dumb hobbit chores but I find that endearing. Breeland is more on the medieval human side of things while Ered Luin can be more stock fantasy stuff.