Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Will, and should, escape mode have the player attend to bodily needs? (Eating, sleeping, toilet, shower.) Or do those just get set aside as soon as the player takes over a prisoner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You don't take one over, you get delivered as a new one.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

You don't take one over, you get delivered as a new one.

Yes, except for when you hire companions. It seems that does kick out the normal regime-following AI and have them just blindly follow you around.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Which I think is a major problem. If they're not going to enforce the regime on you at all, you ought to at least have needs so that you've got to balance your escapes against, y'know, starving to death.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's seems to me that it's supposed to be a quick fun bonus thing rather than the point of the entire game. :v:

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unpopular opinion here, but I would prefer if these guys worked on the AI and the sim and gently caress Escape Mode.

The staff AI still fails to have the closest non-working staff do jobs. That's like a massive piece of AI code that needs to be ironed out.

Escape Mode looks whatever, the sim is amazing. Let's get that done first, Mark.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

PantsFreeZone posted:

Unpopular opinion here, but I would prefer if these guys worked on the AI and the sim and gently caress Escape Mode.

The staff AI still fails to have the closest non-working staff do jobs. That's like a massive piece of AI code that needs to be ironed out.

Escape Mode looks whatever, the sim is amazing. Let's get that done first, Mark.

My thoughts exactly. Escape mode just seems like a silly fun thing to do from time to time. Improving it would be great of course, but not at expense of the sim elements.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Does the 700 megabyte DLC of .wav files add anything in game itself?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

PantsFreeZone posted:

Unpopular opinion here

That's the status quo, almost everyone agrees with you, opinion.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm playing this now after a two year hiatus. I think I broke the tutorial; the game was telling me to build a laundry when I'd already done it and I think I broke the scripting. :smith:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Escape Mode is awesome. After 10 minutes I had three guys who could punch their cell doors off with a single hit and cause everyone around them to kick off as well.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

FadedReality posted:

Escape Mode is awesome. After 10 minutes I had three guys who could punch their cell doors off with a single hit and cause everyone around them to kick off as well.

See, this is why I can't wait to get home from work and play escape mode. gently caress escaping, I just want to make all my prisoners go apeshit.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Why Escape when you can basically Own the prison?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Once all the guards and staff are dead, I WILL own the prison :getin:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Isn't that just the normal game at that point?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Isn't that just the normal game at that point?

Yes, except now when the visitors show up I can hit them with a broken broom stick.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Got out of a random 5 star prison within 6 hours without drawing any attention to myself and I merely get 10 points.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How are you meant to use Riot Cops? I'm on mission 3 at the start, sent them into an area, and they all get wiped out. Is there a trick to it?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Why is the performance still so hosed? I was hoped this would be fixed for the full release. I have a apocalyptically good computer, but i get like like sub 20fps after reaching somewhere between 150-200 (and there are achievements for 1000+ prisoners), is it just me? Are they acknowledging the performance problems?

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE
Tasers are so wonderfully powerful. Once you get one, it's so easy to stockpile them in cells around yours. Tase an armed guard and you're set.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dongattack posted:

Why is the performance still so hosed? I was hoped this would be fixed for the full release. I have a apocalyptically good computer, but i get like like sub 20fps after reaching somewhere between 150-200 (and there are achievements for 1000+ prisoners), is it just me? Are they acknowledging the performance problems?

Pathing is the biggest thing I've found kills FPS. I have an amazing rig and before it would screech to a halt after 500 staff + prisoners, but now my prison can get to 1200 total souls roaming around doing poo poo, and it still runs fairly fast.

The trick (for me) is to have only 2 canteens and have them close enough to the DELIVERY that you don't have to swamp the prison in cooks and workmen.

Another tip is to utilize pressure plates for interior security doors wherever possible and non-hazardous (ie: I use them for the doors out of storage rooms, kitchens, etc). Removing some of the remote jobs helps stabilize the sim's FPS as well.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Define "apocalyptically good". I've got a "good" computer, with i5 4570k, 8GB decent ram and 760GTX, and it won't really lag until I get to the 500's of prisoners and appropriate number of staff.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
well, I successfully did it for the first time. Murdered all the guards in a prison and basically walked out.

Granted, it was my terrible first prison where you could pretty much just grab a drill, screwdriver, or hacksaw anywhere because I had "closets" all around.

Second successful escape went hilariously well. Did a little grind to get 2 guys to near max reputations. Started a fight with the guards. Murdered like 20 before the armed guards showed up. Once they showed up, I killed them too. Once I killed them, it was a blood bath and I annhilated the whole prison. I blew up the power generator early on, so it was like the police department scene in Terminator 1.

Ended up with 1362 points :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Today I learned:
  • The guards will come fetch you and haul your rear end back into your cell when it's sleep time
  • The only way to escape my prison is by sheer brute force, picking up a big enough running crew that you can rush the armory and grab shotguns and then killing an army on your way out

Yeah, I had way more victims than that. Here is my prison, I challenge you all to find any other way out.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Define "apocalyptically good". I've got a "good" computer, with i5 4570k, 8GB decent ram and 760GTX, and it won't really lag until I get to the 500's of prisoners and appropriate number of staff.

I can't remember the stats right now and I'm phoneposting. I nerd up pretty much every interesting game/AAA title that comes out and the only thing that dips below 60fps are these indie Unity games. Even that lovely Batman port was fine.

Oh and Dwarf Fortress, but Dwarf Fortress isn't a game, it's LIFE

I'm guessing that it's the fact that all these CPU intensive games don't make use of multiple cores for some gay reason, Toady can be excused cause he is insane and probably only NASA computers had multiple cores when DF was coded, but in a recent game it's kinda poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Programming for multiple cores is HARD. Like really really hard. The program has to be built from the ground up with that in mind.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dongattack posted:

There's something wrong on your end because sub 20 fps with less than 200 prisoners is like really bad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A few things I learned about escape mode today:

-You can steal lighters from the psychologist's office

-Guards are afraid of fire and will stop trying to arrest you if you are too close to one.

-Most prisons don't have sprinklers

-AI wardens cannot rebuild walls destroyed by fire (destroyed objects are repaired by workmen however)

And lastly, the AI warden can put you in permanent lockdown

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Met posted:

Got out of a random 5 star prison within 6 hours without drawing any attention to myself and I merely get 10 points.
Miami Architect

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Today I learned:
  • The guards will come fetch you and haul your rear end back into your cell when it's sleep time
  • The only way to escape my prison is by sheer brute force, picking up a big enough running crew that you can rush the armory and grab shotguns and then killing an army on your way out

Yeah, I had way more victims than that. Here is my prison, I challenge you all to find any other way out.
But brute force is so easy:

Ran around for a bit trying to find poo poo at first and recruited some dudes. Once we found some gear we started to gently caress poo poo up.

With my super-badass rep I recruited a larger gang and made a push for it. Everything got kind of hosed up at the gate. While some ran straight for the escape, others hung around the gate fighting Guards.This causes a bunch of them to get tased but from the massive murderfest on the way out most of the Guards were still busy (or lack of them) that all but one recovered and ran off.

Here is Kallens murdering the poor Guard that was hanging around in his cell. Grabbed the keys and just ran off.

Pro Escape tip: Drill with Deadly is OP as gently caress.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

"We really wanted to make it uncomfortable to use death row. To really contemplate taking another's life"

*Scores you more for massacring everyone you can*

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
GameDevs.txt

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Redczar posted:

"We really wanted to make it uncomfortable to use death row. To really contemplate taking another's life"

*Scores you more for massacring everyone you can*

The Good Fight.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

CapnAndy posted:

Today I learned:

e:
Sprinklers aren't just for kitchen and power generator anymore and you can no longer use buildings on the edge of the map to save space/slow down tunneling.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 7, 2015

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I had way more victims than that.

The greatest oversight is no scrollbar on the victims section.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

-You can steal lighters from the psychologist's office
Visitation is a good place to steal one, too.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

The drill might be a little overpowered.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Nah it's meant to be able to pierce the heavens(Or at least send a ton of guards there)

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Showerheads are OP. 2 rep for one punch and showers often don't have guards.

Almost as good as setting things on fire through the wall.

e.
So what's the best digging tool? Seems like most important number is total digging done before breaking, since smuggling items is the real hassle, not the speed.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I need to try to escape via a method that isn't "Murder my way to the door". I didn't even remember digging was an option.

Is there any way to sleep in your bed or anything to get through the "sleep" portion of the regime?

• Locked thread