Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lol if you don't have a garlic press

do you live in a dorm or some kind of barracks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

lol if you don't have a garlic press

do you live in a dorm or some kind of barracks?

What would I use it for? I just chuck in the entire cloves. What need have I for mashed garlic?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

#LifeHack

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanks Mrs. Skeltal.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Jerry Cotton posted:

What would I use it for? I just chuck in the entire cloves. What need have I for mashed garlic?

More surface area = more release of oil into whatever you're cooking = better flavor.

Proper garlic preparation for the recipe is just what you do.

Or, I suppose, you could always go with this.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You monster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bonster posted:

More surface area = more release of oil into whatever you're cooking = better flavor.

Life hack: just throw in so much garlic that you get 1-2 cloves in every spoonful.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Lifehack: No need for an expensive kitchen gadget, just whack the peeled garlic clove with the flat of your knife, maybe give it a slice, throw it in! Walla!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's taken a year and a half but I think the thread's irony has wrapped around to an actual real tip.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
just eat the whole clove with no prepwork

#garlichax

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that jar though, how much garlic can you possibly use

lifehack: buy the biggest jar available at costco or sams club, you'll save money on weight! then you can use the same jar for the next 3 years, walla!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

"Expensive kitchen gadget" haha I paid like two dollars for mine. My only complaint is that it's a bitch to clean.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Lifehack: No need for an expensive kitchen gadget, just whack the peeled garlic clove with the flat of your knife, maybe give it a slice, throw it in! Walla!

This is what people who actually cook proper food do because it's a hell of a lot faster (unless you only use one clove in which case it's not proper food) and also easier to clean.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have a combination garlic press/cherry pitter. I only needed the cherry pitter but that was the only thing they had. Now I'm on the lookout for one that also has a nutcracker and maybe a pair of pliers like a multitool designed by a mad person.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who needs nutcrackers when you have jaws!

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not everyone enjoys a mouthful of nuts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The GWS general thread had this argument a week ago. Here's the summary:

"Lol garlic presses are dumb"

"gently caress you, I like mine and I find it handy."

"Lol ur dumb."

"Kiss my rear end, if I want to use one, I'm the one who washes it."

The end.

:v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I eat a head of garlic as one would eat an apple or something.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Adix posted:

You can crush pepper with a garlic press. [I have a pepper mill but no garlic press. who the gently caress has a garlic press?]

The people who are serious enough about cooking that they don't use minced garlic from a jar, but who are too lazy to crush it the old fashioned way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

The people who are serious enough about cooking that they don't use minced garlic from a jar, but who are too lazy to crush it the old fashioned way.

But, as I said (and as anyone can verify), using the press takes a hell of a lot more effort :confused:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Jerry Cotton posted:

But, as I said (and as anyone can verify), using the press takes a hell of a lot more effort :confused:

Mine presses the garlic right out of the skin. it takes about 2 seconds to pull off a clove and press it. It takes considerably longer than that (for me anyway) to trim, peel, and crush garlic with a knife. The press also produces way more juice or oil or whatever.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Smashing and slicing garlic is way easier and better than using one of those dumbass presses

Lifehack: own at least one good knife

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Garlic presses are easier if you don't cook very often so you don't have great knife skills. I used one until I got interested in cooking and now it's faster for me to use a knife. There's nothing wrong with using a garlic press if it's easier for you, but you're not going to get better with a knife if you don't practice. Same with this this hack for peeling garlic:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Garlic presses are easier if you don't cook very often so you don't have great knife skills. I used one until I got interested in cooking and now it's faster for me to use a knife. There's nothing wrong with using a garlic press if it's easier for you, but you're not going to get better with a knife if you don't practice. Same with this this hack for peeling garlic:

Seriously, did nobody read my summary of this argument? In like 3 more posts someone's going to quote this one pointing out that a preference for a garlic press has nothing to do with knife skills.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

stab your self with a knife and pack the wound with pressed garlic

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They need to make aerosol garlic spray, would solve so many problems

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

They need to make aerosol garlic spray, would solve so many problems

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jerry Cotton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8J8urC_8Jw

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

A preference for garlic presses have nothing to do with knife skills.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FutonForensic posted:

A preference for garlic presses have nothing to do with knife skills.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

walrusman posted:

"Expensive kitchen gadget" haha I paid like two dollars for mine. My only complaint is that it's a bitch to clean.

Not that this is the Recommend Me thread, but totally get the Ikea one:

It costs about the same, crushes garlic really well and is super easy to clean.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Want to distract goons? Mention nearly any potential method of food preparation and they will argue for days.
#GoonHack

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

Want to distract goons? Mention nearly anything at all and they will argue for days.
#GoonHack

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
who the gently caress argues about garlic presses

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ed Cullen brand mace, works just as fine on weirdos #LifeHack #Goon #NolifeHack

e: Spray twice into the room; weirdos now distracted it is now safe for you to make your escape #LifeHack

e2: Works just as fine for any type aerosol application: stain remover, deodorant, rust disolver, lubricant...

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Oct 6, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

plain blue jacket posted:

who the gently caress argues about garlic presses

Your mother.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Anthony Bourdain posted:

Garlic is divine. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago, garlic that has been smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Sliver it for pasta, like you saw in Goodfellas. Smash it with the flat of your knife blade.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Do heroin, get paid to travel around the world drinking, eating, and complaining.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
lifehack: use a purpose made tool for its intended purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

DemeaninDemon posted:

Do heroin, get paid to travel around the world drinking, eating, and complaining.

....Not seeing a downside here. In fact, this bolsters the argument. Chop garlic his way, have a loving awesome life.