Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Victor Vermis posted:

On fumbbl where I'm guessing a lot less time is lost to unnecessary animations.

That sort of depends - you lose less time thanks to the lack of animations, but as far as Cyanide is concerned, the animations can actually help you in a few situations when you're running out of time and need some crucial seconds to think just a bit, since the timer is stopped during the animations. With pre-selecting players, you can make a move a second if you're not afraid of the Cyanide pathfinding, so if you accidentially end up with a poo poo clock situation (or accidentially end up in a 40 second turn game) and you still really need to dodge those three players away from that loving tree, you can still make that happen with five seconds left on the clock.

So when you have animations, that can make a 4 minute time limit seem more like a 4 1/2 minute time limit or so, and the time gain doesn't really diminish with shorter turns, so you can turn a 40 second turn into more of a 1:10 minute turn, which is pretty big, relatively speaking.

Not that you should really be playing 40 second turns, anyway - at least not if you're the kind of person that even remotely considers thinking about what the gently caress they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jade Star posted:

There are no runners on an orc team.

Also not starting with a troll? Ew.

I started with 1 troll, 4 black orcs, 4 blitzers, 1 lineman, 1 gob, and 2 RR. For i think 990k or 100k.

Yeah the first game fielding a goblin kind of sucks, but it's one game at the start and then you can buy a lineman to replace him, or a thrower if you do well on winnings.

In any case, I can't understand either of your starts because you're missing the troll in both, and a blitzer in the one of them. I guess the cost is being eaten up by a thrower, which you really don't need early on. Or arguably ever. I'd have to go check the money, but I think you could get 4Bobs, 4 blitzers, and 3 linemen with 3RRs. That sounds like a better start if you really hate the troll.

You give bad advice and probably play bad and you should feel bad.

Trolls are THE WORST of all the big guys, and big guys in general are bad. When you could have another excellent orc lineman instead of a troll the choice is the lineman every time except for extreme funhavers that also play with a goblin and try for tttds.

Starting without 3 rerolls on anything but elves is a really bad idea.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Coolguye posted:

Yeah you don't want to put PO on a big guy, but putting it on a lineman is perfectly fine. The traditional use is on a Blitzer, though, since they will be hitting people a lot and they're valuable enough that you don't really want them to get hit that often in return. When they're on the ground they can be fouled, but if someone is pulling in enough resources to do a good gang-foul you can simply not pile on.

Linemen don't usually end up with Piling On because you need to already have Mighty Blow to make it an effective choice, which for a lino means getting two doubles on level up (and also having Block). It's not bad if you get it, but it's not something you can rely on developing and in general you're probably better off spending lino doubles on high-impact team support skills like Guard while building one of your Blitzers into a POMB dude.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jade Star posted:

That cant be serious. I kind of hope it is... just so there is some sperg throwing a 'i wont play again and my friends wont see me play, and I'll tell them not to play your game' temper tantrum.

Are you like 10 years old and totally new to the internet?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Tekopo posted:

want to face this guy so that cyanide can kill even more of his dudes

Just like Burgernator, he would alt-F4 the instant he had to use his apo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Voyager I posted:

Linemen don't usually end up with Piling On because you need to already have Mighty Blow to make it an effective choice, which for a lino means getting two doubles on level up (and also having Block). It's not bad if you get it, but it's not something you can rely on developing and in general you're probably better off spending lino doubles on high-impact team support skills like Guard while building one of your Blitzers into a POMB dude.

Plus the general role on linemen for any team is to get the poo poo beaten out of them by the opponents scary pieces and getting in the way. Placing a lino on the ground is generally detrimental to that goal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man, I just had a match where I killed three skaven, two aren't playing in the guys next match and a couple more have permanent injurys. The guy was surprisingly chill about it and actually played until the end.

A question about leap, can I use it while in a tackle zone? Do I get tackled like normal? Are there any downsides? I'm using it on an agi 4 skink (already picked it) but i've not had the chance to use it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Evernoob posted:

My beastmen are really starting to die/get badly injured a lot. I think my skills (both player and coaching) are not yet sufficient to play at 1800+ with this first team.

Is it considered bad sport to fire your skilled up beastmen to reduce your TV to the 1400 range while keeping my strong Chaos Warriors and Minotaur?
Cash is becoming an issue and playing with Loners sucks rear end. (I actually wasted a reroll not realizing I GFI'd with a loner)

Not at all, this is how you actually mature and farm your team up into the 2500+ tv range. Like with my Vampires that were 2800tv I'd fire a vampire if he never got a stat like +mv or +agi or +str by level 5. I was running a full roster all pro 6 vampire team, even had a few all star thralls, like +agi, sure hands, kick-off return, pass he was great.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Gaghskull posted:

Also, always start with big guys unless you are orcs. Big guys means the coach is a funhaver. And Nuffle, capricious as he may be, shows his favor upon funhaver teams. When a kroxigor intercepts, you know the Nuffle has been there.
True words my friend, preach it to the masses and that one idiot that played against npc for 250 hours before playing his first human and getting apo dead-dead that is the best.

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Also for the newbies, piling on a KO is called "pulling a studman".

If I already have a man advantage I'm re-rolling every loving KO.

Talmonis posted:

It is odd that we have four minute turns in goonleague. Not that anyone ever takes remotely that long.

I set it that way because goons are not assholes. The worst it ever gets is someone rage quitting when their team gets smashed or their favorite player dies before the first half is even over.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 7, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
VVV

fuuuuuuuuu- Fair enough I admit it

dogstile fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 7, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

dogstile posted:

I admitted to having over 150 hours played against the computer in BB:CE before I played open league.

My first match was against dark elves, he won the kick and received. Before he even picked up the ball he tried to dodge a witch elf through as a receiver. When she rolled snakeyes and I said LOL gonna foul he immediately disconnected, and so went my first cyanide BB game.

I'm trying to say that most open league players are actually worse than the BB:CE AI.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 7, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Evernoob posted:

My beastmen are really starting to die/get badly injured a lot. I think my skills (both player and coaching) are not yet sufficient to play at 1800+ with this first team.

Is it considered bad sport to fire your skilled up beastmen to reduce your TV to the 1400 range while keeping my strong Chaos Warriors and Minotaur?
Cash is becoming an issue and playing with Loners sucks rear end. (I actually wasted a reroll not realizing I GFI'd with a loner)

Manipulating your TV is just part of the game. It's the most obnoxious and retarded part of the game, obviously, but part of the game nonetheless.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FoolyCharged posted:

Plus the general role on linemen for any team is to get the poo poo beaten out of them by the opponents scary pieces and getting in the way. Placing a lino on the ground is generally detrimental to that goal.

You can say the same about Dirty Player since getting a dude sent off is detrimental to being the meat shield, but a dedicated fouler is a thing that works on a number of teams. It's not typical sure, but I could see the use case in putting PO on a lineman of most racial types, and definitely in the case of a line-Orc the way I originally meant it.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I just won a 3-2 game at about 1400 tv against lizards where I killed a saurus on the first punch, apo'd to no casualty. But I also killed another saurus and -MV'd a third. I don't think I've ever hurt a saurus before.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
So I just realized I'm an idiot, and getting block on Line Elves is kinda dumb. Wrestle is far better at higher TV, and really good at lower TV. If you wrestle them down on their turn, you can just stand up and walk away on your turn. Every idiot has wrestle at high TV, so having a bunch of dodge+wrestlers with agi 4 allows you to make holes wherever you need them. Block might get you the occasional turnover, but Wrestle is far far more useful when you're fragile.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah Wrestle is basically tailor made to favor elfy teams that would otherwise start seeing some serious strangulation problems at about TV1500 when every idiot has Tackle. Never not Wrestle on agile teams.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Washout posted:

Are you like 10 years old and totally new to the internet?

Are you? Everything you post makes me want to block you.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
You two should play a game of blood bowl to settle your differences

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Splode posted:

Second. Streamed if possible. TV1000 teams only.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Splode posted:

i unironically feel like the internet would be a much better place if slapfighting nerds could be compelled to settle slapfights with the competitive game of their choice with hearty yells of 'SETTLE IT THE USUAL WAY, NERDS'

either we play a lot more games and spectators get stuff to watch or the nerds are coerced into stopping their slapfight, everyone wins

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 7, 2015

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My first Lizard game in the Skittles inv I got matched up against a very nice fellow who was playing Orcs, I killed five of his players.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
A chaos vs. chaos game where I won 2-1. I got one CW killed, one -AV. A -STR, -MV, and -AV on three different leveled beastmen. I've never lost that much TV in a game before!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Haroshia posted:

Second. Streamed if possible. TV1000 teams only.

No way, he probably doesn't paint his miniatures, not worth the time.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Played my first game against a competently build Skaven team, with lvl 5-6 Gutter Runners, Rat Ogre and Storm Vermin. The throwers were lvl 3 and all the linerats were lvl 1.
He scored his first TD rather quickly, but then I could start with the beating and my Blodge Chaos Warriors were really causing him trouble.

I failed to score in the first half, and due to proper screening it took me really long to score my TD in the second half (Turn 13 or 14). I did manage to kill 2 linerats and a thrower. He did save his lvl 6 Gutter Runner from death and settled for -AV.
1-1 and some nice SPP's gained for my Murderbeasts. They're up to Block/MB/Claw now. Unfortunately both are injured with -1MV by now.

My 3 Block/Dodge Chaos Warriors are about to level up again, should I get MB now or some other utility skill? (Tackle on singles, Jump Up on double?)

Brettonian Talk : I haven't faced a single Bret team since I started playing. Are they that bad or is that mostly due to a lack of strategy guides that people dismiss them.
I actually really like their cheap peasants. They come with a really annoying (thus perfect) skill for only 40k. The Blitzers look kind of awesome, too bad they require doubles for both STR and AGI skills. They could also have used 1 extra AV imo.
The blockers could actually be good for putting some nice utility skills on to support your blitzers. Anyone got some nice concept for a Bret team?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
From what I can tell Brettoinans border on the joke team level. They arent really bad but they dont have anything amazing going for them either.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yesterday I played 3 games with Skaven (my first) and the team is half dead and I've scored a grand total of 1 TD. I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong, when every guide says "you can score any time you drat well please".

My three matches have been against elves, 2 HE and one DE. I feel that things are more or less working on defence, at least until I fail my dodge rolls. Problem is on offence, when the opponent sets up deep, say 4 dudes on each side of the field, 4-6 squares away from the endzone. I could blitz through the LOS, but that leaves my 3 or 4 catchers/runners completely surrounded and without easy dodges to make a handout and score. The one time I've seen a defence line close to the LOS I've managed to break through one side and screen well enough to score, but my opponents have been competent after that.

How do you deal with deep defences? Just hanging back until the opposing player decides to come to you?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You arent in any hurry so if they do some weird mega defence then staying back until they actually pressure the ball carrier is a valid tactic. If you're aiming for a 2 turn touchdown but you cant get the ball through on turn 2 theres no reason to rush it if the ball isnt in any danger.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I uhh. I just played against a 4 re-roll, 11 Longbeard team.

I don't know what to think anymore.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Anybody know the BB2 player name character limit?

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Yeah just hang back and take potshot at exposed players with your storm vermin.
Usually the challenge for ag4 teams is not scoring they can always do that, the hard part is stalling. So if your opponent just sits back and are not hunting your rats down its all good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Also, if their team is heavily in the backfield, that's the perfect time to beat on the guys up front because you'll greatly outnumber them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Iretep posted:

From what I can tell Brettoinans border on the joke team level. They arent really bad but they dont have anything amazing going for them either.

Yeah pretty much. I really like the animation for the knights punching things though. Just a straight up straight arm to the face. Absolutely fantastic.

For the bret guy, I was using two blockers/two blitzers with 8 peasants (one to replace my fouler when he gets sent off) for the longest time. You have to manage your TV though, at 1530 i'm facing teams i'm not going to be able to beat, they're not strong or fast enough.

JackDarko posted:

My first Lizard game in the Skittles inv I got matched up against a very nice fellow who was playing Orcs, I killed five of his players.

I taught a guy who was using his orcs badly against my lizard team how to play. Gave him the tip of "place your cheap guys on my saurus's, murder the gently caress out of my skinks".

At the end of the first half he made a ridiculous pass after badly hurting all of my skinks, had to cut it short there because my lift arrived earlier than expected but it was really cool to see a guy who got steamrolled and was complaining about how OP lizards were, to really having quite a good chance of equalising by the end of the match.

Felt so proud of him once he knocked out my krox.

Also people seem really quite happy to just hit end turn over and over again if you're beating them, which i'm happy to abuse

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Iretep posted:

I thought this too, so I made a team, and I'm some how undefeated with them. I.. I just don't understand how.

I guess it comes down to coaching? They're a pretty fast team at move 6 and 7. 8 of them start with block/wrestle so the early game its nice not having to waste rerolls on both down blocks. From there. I dunno... I've won like 9 games with them and only just started getting skill ups besides tackle on the blitzers.

Their positionals are funky, their skill access is funky, but some how they just work. Seems people like the peasant army idea, but I loaded the team with 4 blockers 4 blitzers from the start and it's worked out great.

I also have a 9ma blitzer now so just :gonk: I don't even know. I guess he's going to get tackle/stripball/shadowing.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 7, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How do you build your positionals?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Mr. Squishy posted:

How do you build your positionals?

If you're asking for my Brets, uh, I can't really answer. I'm making poo poo up as I go really and the team isn't high enough TV to say 'this is what I've done, and played with for a while and it works'. My teams like 1450-1550TV but I'll tell you what I can.

Peasants - There are only two skills you want to consider having on these guys as far as I can tell. Block/Wrestle to personal taste, but I would suggest wrestle for the ultimate in man marking annoyance. Dirty Player is the other skill for the obvious use of cheap, kind of annoying/hard to kill 40k fodder. This is my plan anyway, let you know how that goes as soon as I get a peasant to actually level up.

Blockers - First skill is guard or normals. Shouldn't be a surprise here. They're the only thing with regular strength access. Yes it's kind of clashes with the Wrestle you start out with, but you're AG3 and they're your only regular strength players, you just have to cope with it. After Guard I would say either Mighty Blow or Tackle, depending on your preference, but in either case which ever you don't pick will probably be the next pick.

Blitzers - Okay, these guys are loving weird and here is were your choices are really going to shape things. My first two to level were giving tackle. Having block and tackle at low TV is great. You don't have to fret dodge only ball carriers at the start like skinks or gutter runners or elves. They have passing access so putting leader on one of them is a good investment. After that, skill choice on GP becomes a strange strange place. I have considered dump off because they tend to run in pairs or have other blitzers nearby and they all start with catch anyway so why not? It leads to probably near hubris level dreams of 4 blitzers advancing the ball down field just dumping of to each other the way rugby guys do, instead of caging down field.

Honestly I haven't played enough to give you a good skill building chart either. My level up have been somewhat unusual. Here is what I currently have on roster.
Blitzer 1: Tackle
Blitzer 2: Tackle & Leader
Blitzer 3: Tackle +St
Blitzer 4: +Ma +Ma

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It's not suprising they start strong. They have almost as much blockish skills as norse do. The problem I imagine is like with any other high skill low stat team is that once the high stat teams get levels the brets will start to under perform.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah, I'm quickly questioning what I will do with the blitzers as they got more skill rolls. Without strength or agility access their choices on normal skill ups is kind of bad. Tackle for everybody is obvious. Leader for one. And then.... Strip ball? A four man Dump Off Nerves of Steel fever dream? I just don't know... Pro starts to look like a decent pick when the other options are so bizarre or so unlikely to come into play. Giving passing access on normals though, it doesn't seem unreasonable to turn one into a dedicated ball handler. Sure Hands at very minimum to scoop up the kick, and then protect him until he can run it up and hand off to another bltizer because Catch makes that fairly safe. Or go full on with Sure Hand, Pass, Accurate. Then maybe add tackle and strip ball and you have a dedicated back field player capable of running down a ball carrier, getting the ball off them, and then scooping it up and tossing it down field.

That is uh, 1 out of 4 blitzers though. Still a little lost for the other guys.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I may fire a bunch of my brets and go for the blitz/blocker army instead. The only downside is the team will play so much differently that way. Having fend on almost everyone really wrecks bashy team organisation, because they can't camp your guys. You can pretty much elf screen, except you can throw decent punches.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The Blitzers not having easy access to either AGI nor STR skills is really weird.
Them having low Strength on the offensive block is somewhat negated by Dauntless, but on the defensive it isn't much help.

A cage of peasants with Fend seems quite annoying as the blocker can't ever follow up and thus can't mark the ball carrier.
I really like your idea of Dump Off though, but relying on 3 agi players for this sounds risky. Fun! but risky.
I would definately try to roll for an +1 Agi Blitzer if possible.

Guard on the Blockers is indeed a good choice, even if it inherently interferes with Wrestle, but in any other situation players would block the Guard players first anyway to remove their assist, so if you can force a double down you remove their assist at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Evernoob posted:

I really like your idea of Dump Off though, but relying on 3 agi players for this sounds risky. Fun! but risky.
I would definately try to roll for an +1 Agi Blitzer if possible.

Remember that they start with catch, so that cuts away a lot of the dump off risk. Additionally if you are going to try the dump off dream, they can get pass, which further reduces risks with more passive rerolls. And if you're really dedicated to it, Nerves of Steel. That would boost the success rate of a Dump Off in traffic to 77%, assuming no interception attempt.

• Locked thread