Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fragmented posted:

Can someone effort post a Homeland thread? I can only post from my phone until I move at the end of the month. It's kinda hosed up that 24 had huge threads but now there's nothing for the new season of Homeland. I can't be the only one here that still likes the show.
The difference between 24 and Homeland is that 24 was always entertaining throughout the entire series, even if it wasn't always the highest quality television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The difference between 24 and Homeland is that 24 was always entertaining throughout the entire series, even if it wasn't always the highest quality television.

I dunno, I was a huge 24...watcher? Hate love super fan? That sounds better. And there were definitely some just boring episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

Esquire was G4. Had to do something with it.

Esquire was supposed to be G4, but they decided at the last minute to replace the Style Network with it instead, and G4 lumbered on for another year or so showing marathons of 5-year-old Web Soup episodes until all the carriers finally dropped it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fragmented posted:

Can someone effort post a Homeland thread? I can only post from my phone until I move at the end of the month. It's kinda hosed up that 24 had huge threads but now there's nothing for the new season of Homeland. I can't be the only one here that still likes the show.

24 was at least entertaining when it was bad. Homeland after season 2 is just bad.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
And the Grinder turns in an absolute ace for its sophomore showing.

Grinder rests.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fragmented posted:

Did it start already? I don't know if I care. Last season was less poo poo, but Homeland is preeeeeeeettty poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Homeland is in Germany now and there's a lot of bad computer hacking

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tuxedo Jack posted:

And the Grinder turns in an absolute ace for its sophomore showing.

Grinder rests.

I really liked them poking fun at the job second episodes have to do in the cold open. I'm def down for a few more eps.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey Gotham watchers, I've heard a number of people talking about Cameron Monaghan being really awesome on Gotham before they did something really stupid with him, what happened? Last I heard was the young Joker on the show and I was wondering how he was in the role because he's great on Shameless (watch Shameless people).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They kill him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, he was on for a full four episodes. One last season and the three at the start of this.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

raditts posted:

FXX is not only a bad name, but was also a bad idea in general.

I'm still trying to figure out why they decided to launch a channel that they had (and still have) barely any content for.
See also: The Esquire Channel, which is only good for Ninja Warrior reruns.

I love The Getaway on the Esquire Network, which is like a more shallow version of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. (Bourdain produces this show, too.) Each episode follows a celebrity on a whirlwind weekend trip to a cool city. Lots of eating, drinking, shopping, and off-the-beaten-path touristy stuff. Some episodes have featured Aziz Ansari, Kyle MacLachlan, Rashida Jones, Jenny Slate, Seth and Josh Meyers, Jim Rash and Nat Faxon -- mostly entertaining, likable people you would enjoy following around a new city.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Welp, at least I won't have to worry about losing him on Shameless.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Basically he is still a proto-Joker and they kinda just go with him inspiring the real Joker down the line. Or cursing Got-Ham to having a Joker-like figure forever if you want to take that interpretation.

You should watch the first three episodes regardless cause Monaghan plays it super loving amazing. He gets the very last scene of the episode and it's great.

Maybe down the line he at least should do VO or whatever. DC still just churns out animated movies, and Hamill has finally finally retired, right?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Fragmented posted:

Homeland is so bad now, I cant really stand it. After the end of the first season when Carrie had that overly dramatic ECT session I tuned out.
It was so like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest that I just couldn't suspend disbelief anymore.
I have such a crush on Claire Danes that I was genuinely worried when noticed I had the hots for Temple Grandin suddenly after watching the HBO documovie, so I kinda wanna start watching again...
Is there really any reason I should tune back in other than that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mandy Patinkin is still on the show

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Mandy Patinkin is still on the show

Good point I guess. He is a really good mentor character if nothing else.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Solvent posted:

Homeland is so bad now, I cant really stand it. After the end of the first season when Carrie had that overly dramatic ECT session I tuned out.
It was so like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest that I just couldn't suspend disbelief anymore.
I have such a crush on Claire Danes that I was genuinely worried when noticed I had the hots for Temple Grandin suddenly after watching the HBO documovie, so I kinda wanna start watching again...
Is there really any reason I should tune back in other than that?

Not if you're going to have a predisposition to hate whatever you see, but season 4 is decent apart from some iffy Carrie behaviour near the beginning, with an engaging plot and some genuine tension throughout.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Wandle Cax posted:

Not if you're going to have a predisposition to hate whatever you see, but season 4 is decent apart from some iffy Carrie behaviour near the beginning, with an engaging plot and some genuine tension throughout.

I don't. It was a genuine question, and I may take your recommendation to check out season 4.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Sober posted:

Basically he is still a proto-Joker and they kinda just go with him inspiring the real Joker down the line. Or cursing Got-Ham to having a Joker-like figure forever if you want to take that interpretation.

You should watch the first three episodes regardless cause Monaghan plays it super loving amazing. He gets the very last scene of the episode and it's great.

Do they explicitly imply that he inspires the real Joker? I like the notion that the Joker is less of a person and more of an unkillable idea that has haunted Gotham throughout history.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Carrie is pretty much the worst part of the first 1/2 of the season. Her quirky "I'm bipolar!crazy got tiring after season 2 and it seems that's the only way the writers know how to use her as a character"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

corn in the bible posted:

Becomers is stupid because its meaningless and sounds retarded hth

That sounds like something a Stayer would say, not a Becomer.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

pentyne posted:

Carrie is pretty much the worst part of the first 1/2 of the season. Her quirky "I'm bipolar!crazy got tiring after season 2 and it seems that's the only way the writers know how to use her as a character"

Ugh. That character had so much more potential! I mean, it's one thing for her to be someone who makes overly impulsive decisions, and becomes manic at times, but really, that's totally the way ( I'M SO CRAZY LOOK AT ME GO!) I saw her going and was just so drat disappointed.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 7, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
So now that the show has been garbage for so long have people stopped trying to rationalize how pulling out of the suicide bombing at the end of the first season was actually cool and good and not just a way of dodging controversy and getting to stretch the show out forever instead of letting the story end at its natural conclusion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The show producers said from the beginning that Showtime forced them to keep him alive

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

So now that the show has been garbage for so long have people stopped trying to rationalize how pulling out of the suicide bombing at the end of the first season was actually cool and good and not just a way of dodging controversy and getting to stretch the show out forever instead of letting the story end at its natural conclusion.

I kinda liked him pulling out of the bombing and I also think it should have ended at season 1

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I love The Getaway on the Esquire Network, which is like a more shallow version of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown.

It's actually a retooling of another Bourdain show - The Layover. Exact same premise and style, except Getaways changes host. Both shows are great and I always make sure I watch the episode relating to anywhere I go. Full episodes of Layover used to be on YouTube. I recommend San Francisco because Bourdain just gets hammered, and Amsterdam because he absolutely definitely does not get high at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bourdain said he hated the Layover and is glad he doesn't do them anymore. Fun fact. What a tough life going to Singapore and France to eat and drink all the best food.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Bourdain said he hated the Layover and is glad he doesn't do them anymore. Fun fact. What a tough life going to Singapore and France to eat and drink all the best food.

While it's undoubtedly cool, I think spending only two days in a locale before getting on a plane and doing it all over again for a set amount of months a year would get old. That and the dude's been doing this for years now and he's probably not up for something with such a brisk pace nowadays.

Speaking of, The Travel Channel has a similar show to the Layover and the Getaway with two New York Times columnists doing the same thing. I've only seen a couple of eps but it isn't bad. I like the chef lady a lot more than the dude.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do they ever confirm whether or not Gotham has actually got ham or not?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Argue posted:

Do they explicitly imply that he inspires the real Joker? I like the notion that the Joker is less of a person and more of an unkillable idea that has haunted Gotham throughout history.

The end of the episode has a montage of people watching Jerome on the news and starting to imitate him.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

thrawn527 posted:

As a 32 year old, "becomers" is a god awful name I'll fight against.

Millennials is fine.

I couldn't help but think of how closely NBC's Hannibal associated murder with the word becoming when I read this and now I'm pretty sure all millennials will become murders. I'd rather be a millennial than a becomer but all generations have stupid names.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mrking posted:

I couldn't help but think of how closely NBC's Hannibal associated murder with the word becoming when I read this and now I'm pretty sure all millennials will become murders. I'd rather be a millennial than a becomer but all generations have stupid names.
Lay off the mash liquor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mrking posted:

I think the only people who use millennial as an actual word are marketing executives in their 50s, so let's all just collectively ignore that poo poo and get on with our lives.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Argue posted:

The end of the episode shows a montage of various people watching a TV broadcast of not-Joker holding a hall full of rich people hostage and killing some of them randomly while doing his best dime-store Mark Hamill impression, then the people watching start cackling for no reason and a couple of them go murder a hobo. So, I guess that's the implication? I think I hate that show more than Agents of Shield.

Mu Zeta posted:

That's what he does in Parts Unknown, which is a good show and pretty much No Reservations in all but name. The Layover is when he'd go to some random American city for a couple of days and pretend he knows things about it that other people don't, and it was garbage.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 7, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well yeah why wouldn't you, Agents of SHIELD is a good show while Gotham is a really bad one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Actually they're both really bad shows.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agents of SHIELD sucks but I liked it anyway while Gotham sucks but I don't like it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

raditts posted:

That's what he does in Parts Unknown, which is a good show and pretty much No Reservations in all but name. The Layover is when he'd go to some random American city for a couple of days and pretend he knows things about it that other people don't, and it was garbage.

At least half of the cities from The Layover were not American, and it was great fun, if nowhere near as comprehensive or "good" as Parts Unknown or No Reservations.

I just liked watching Bourdain get drunk with his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't trust the opinion of anyone with a personal ranking of TV shows where Ron Perlman's ghost travels around to eat food.

• Locked thread