Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Papyrus: Basically A Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
All characters are dogs, secretly

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

IronicDongz posted:

All characters are dogs, secretly

You mean the Earthworm Jim 2 ending.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

BiggerJ posted:

That post is really consistent with Undertale's themes of understanding and principles. And note who the character speaking is, and what he says at one point.

"besides, it’s rude to talk about people that are listening, right?"

Oh gee, I wonder who taught him that?

The very next sentence is
"not everyone's as tough as my brother"
So, that's pretty much confirmed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

In this world, it's kill or be killed.

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
I got my husband to play Undertale and he's loving it, and I'm loving his reactions to the game. He's just gotten past MTT Resort and is so certain that A) Asgore is a dog and B) that Asgore won't want to actually fight him. Oh man I cannot wait for his reaction on getting to Asgore. And then the rest of the Neutral and True Pacifist endings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Woof woof woof :3:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bog pixie posted:

There was a post on the undertale tumblr yesterday that says "anyway, here’s the important info: uhhh… about shyren’s lower body. doing some research might help you. but i won’t blame you if you dont." and apparently Shyren is only the top part and the bottom is something else. I'm scared.

It's a rock. Because she's a Siren.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Mummy Brigade posted:

I got my husband to play Undertale and he's loving it, and I'm loving his reactions to the game. He's just gotten past MTT Resort and is so certain that A) Asgore is a dog and B) that Asgore won't want to actually fight him. Oh man I cannot wait for his reaction on getting to Asgore. And then the rest of the Neutral and True Pacifist endings.
Thinking Asgore is a dog is understandable, because man is he in the doghouse :shittydog:
Speaking of Asgore, have another dumb vine because he and his giant fork and response to pie makes me think of dumb things:

(END GAME BOSS SPOILERS)
https://vine.co/v/e2QLgF90mwt

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Everdraed posted:

Speaking of Asgore, have another dumb vine because he and his giant fork and response to pie makes me think of dumb things:

(END GAME BOSS SPOILERS)

You are a national treasure. :tem:

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.

Everdraed posted:

Thinking Asgore is a dog is understandable, because man is he in the doghouse :shittydog:

(END GAME BOSS SPOILERS)
A thing of beauty has been made you magnificent bastard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I want more Muffet art. Preferably ones that include the signpost spider because I couldn't stop laughing at that little guy during the fight.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Any gif wizards able to avatarize this? Needed to switch out this one a long time ago.

Because Undertale/Steven Universe will never go stale.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Triskelli posted:

Any gif wizards able to avatarize this? Needed to switch out this one a long time ago.

oh my god

:tem:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

there you go

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kitfox88 posted:

there you go

Thanks a ton! Just need to pick a good subtitle. You can't change the font, can you? :tem:

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

there you go

Sorry to keep begging for this, but...any chance you could make a gif of Sans playing the trombone? This game has finally convinced me to get an avatar.

Actual post time! I have an ending criticism to share.

The pacifist ending is just a little too saccharine for me. I have trouble believing that humans would immediately and without question agree to integrate monsters back into society. Most probably haven't seen any before, they literally fought and won a massive war against them and have probably since propagated the idea that the monsters were the bad guys, and numerous people have disappeared inside the mountain they were all stuck under. Not to mention that a literal child is capable of decimating the entire population of the underground, and the outside world probably has weapons much worse than ballet shoes and frying pans. I know it's supposed to be the feel-good, happy ending of the three, but it rings hollow to me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Triskelli posted:

what's this green house

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
It represents homestuck.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

youcallthatatwist posted:

Sorry to keep begging for this, but...any chance you could make a gif of Sans playing the trombone? This game has finally convinced me to get an avatar.

The pacifist ending is just a little too saccharine for me. I have trouble believing that humans would immediately and without question agree to integrate monsters back into society. Most probably haven't seen any before, they literally fought and won a massive war against them and have probably since propagated the idea that the monsters were the bad guys, and numerous people have disappeared inside the mountain they were all stuck under. Not to mention that a literal child is capable of decimating the entire population of the underground, and the outside world probably has weapons much worse than ballet shoes and frying pans. I know it's supposed to be the feel-good, happy ending of the three, but it rings hollow to me.

Well, the modern world is probably a lot less murder-happy than the medieval era or whenever the gently caress they were sealed. But it'd probably be tense in the long term, given that it would only take one bad actor on either side to commit genocide (one human sociopath or one monster dropping a brick out of a window onto someone's head and then taking their soul)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neopie posted:

It represents homestuck.
oh.
homestuck is bad, though

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Part of Undertale's lasting legacy will have been unleashing Everdraed onto Vine, hopefully

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

oh.
homestuck is bad, though

It wasn't always that way. (And I might argue just a little that it's not bad at all...just gone on a bit longer then it should and still has moments.)

Also, I'd imagine it has some hand in spawning Undertale, since Toby Fox contributed a lot of music to it, and there's definitely some parallels between story concepts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Happy endings are good

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

youcallthatatwist posted:

I don't buy it either but it's not the only part of the game like that, for me. Things tie up too neatly too easily with Alphys.

I try not to let it affect my enjoyment of skeleton jokes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

true pacifism ending: They ask you to be the ambassador. It's your job to go feel out the local community so they know what kind of reception they're going to get. Just keep them away from the lava healing guy and you can make a good first impression now that it isn't monster law to capture the human.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The monsters were sealed underground at least a millennia ago. It's been so long that only Gerson was around when the war happened, and only he really seems to know who Toriel and Asriel were. The six other humans came down over an extremely long period, and an Undyne call confirms that she didn't know where the ballet shoes came from and that they've just always been there. And like barely anyone recognize Frisk as a human without being warned in advance. I'd say monsters are probably just a distant memory on the surface because humans don't live nearly as long as monsters seem to.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

Who's ready to hate fun!?

So, I wrote a few words about Undertale because, having just finished my first playthrough, I felt like I had a kind of...different experience with the game than a lot of people did. Basically, the moral choice system feels kinda broken for me as an actual scale of morality, and in a way that could actually send a more harmful message than was probably intended. It tapped into some thing that had been happening in my own life recently, too.

It's pretty spoiler-free. I vaguely elude to a boss fight midway through the game (Undyne) but nothing that really ruins anything.

To re-iterate what i say at the end of the article, despite what I say I think Undertale is a fantastic game. It has missteps, but what doesn't? And I will say, the amazingness of the ending almost made up for everything.

This is from weeks past but I just wanted to say I liked your article! I had the same issues at the same point you did. Undertale was incredible to play but the morals of it are shaky. However, I do agree that the dev never intended it to be that way and that the overall concept of the game had its heart in the right place. Regardless it does have deeper issues beyond a first glance.

I might be biased though, I work in social services and occasionally with victims of domestic abuse and I tend to be a bit hyper-aware with things like this. I remember playing this one game with friends' and during an emotional scene I burst out laughing because one of the main character's said something that an abuser had told me verbatim and everyone was :stare: wondering why I was laughing and shaking my head like an idiot.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ture pacifist spoilers: Depending on how earthboundy the upper world is I can honestly see most humans not giving much of a poo poo about the monsters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GulagDolls posted:

I don't buy it either but it's not the only part of the game like that, for me. Things tie up too neatly too easily with Alphys.

TBH I really don't like Alphys because when you think about it everything in the game is her fault. Usually the mad scientist that does crazy experiments that gently caress everything up aren't a character you're supposed to like. And she handled it all in the worst way possible. Part of the game is helping her resolve that stuff but the whole situation still feels wrong on so many levels.

In the endgame pacifist walkabout can you actually find any of the amalgams to see how they're doing with their families?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Caidin posted:

Ture pacifist spoilers: Depending on how earthboundy the upper world is I can honestly see most humans not giving much of a poo poo about the monsters.

It's also possible that there were monsters in other places and that its only this particular kingdom thats been sealed down there, while other groups have been living above ground just fine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

In the endgame pacifist walkabout can you actually find any of the amalgams to see how they're doing with their families?

Yep, all of them. And they're doing just fine, too.

Monsters are weird like that.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Man I never made the connection between Mettaton's origins and Mettaton's best question.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Even if the war with monsters was long enough ago that the whole thing was regarded by humans as a myth, I would think that Asriel's appearance in Chara's village in a somewhat more modern time would raise some eyebrows. Then again, maybe when news that a mob of villagers attacked a monster got out, it would just be dismissed by the world at large as a bunch of drunken, superstitious hicks attacking an unusually hairy man they thought was a monster.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Doctor Goat posted:

Man I never made the connection between Mettaton's origins and Mettaton's best question.

E) All of the Above (Heck Yeah)

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, you can. They're actually living happily with their families, or as happily as they can be. The dog amalgam and its family seem more or less completely unfazed, Lemon Bread still has hangups, the Snowdrake family is able to crack jokes about the situation, etc. etc..

Red Mundus posted:

This is from weeks past but I just wanted to say I liked your article! I had the same issues at the same point you did. Undertale was incredible to play but the morals of it are shaky. However, I do agree that the dev never intended it to be that way and that the overall concept of the game had its heart in the right place. Regardless it does have deeper issues beyond a first glance.

I might be biased though, I work in social services and occasionally with victims of domestic abuse and I tend to be a bit hyper-aware with things like this. I remember playing this one game with friends' and during an emotional scene I burst out laughing because one of the main character's said something that an abuser had told me verbatim and everyone was :stare: wondering why I was laughing and shaking my head like an idiot.

Full disclosure, I was previously in an abusive relationship, and if you're talking about Asriel talking about how he's hurting you because he's terrified that you'll leave otherwise, that set off alarm bells as well, but in context, it made me feel even worse for the character in question. It's an old trope of a manipulative abuser, but in the situation as presented, it's the end state of a terrified, more-or-less abused child lashing out in desperation the only way he knows how to anymore.

As for Alphys...yeah, it was kind of abrupt, but I know someone who is extremely reminiscent of her, so I view her through a sympathetic lens. She wasn't qualified for the job, hosed up massively while trying to benefit others, and fell into a self-destructive, self-loathing isolation, ripping at her own social support until she views her compulsive lying and denial as the only thing standing between her and suicide. The turnaround at the end is when she realizes that she may have SERIOUSLY hosed things up, but she could never have predicted how badly it went, and there are more constructive ways to address the past. It doesn't hurt that Frisk is basically more forgiving than Christ, Sans is too burnt out to give a poo poo, and Undyne has a massive lesbian crush on her and has heavily implied blood on her own hands to deal with. Note that the second Toriel learns about what Alphys did as a royal scientist, she fires her on the spot.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I beat true pacifist run a seond time. How do I get the picture of Frisk and the main characters to appear?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

TBH I really don't like Alphys because when you think about it everything in the game is her fault. Usually the mad scientist that does crazy experiments that gently caress everything up aren't a character you're supposed to like. And she handled it all in the worst way possible. Part of the game is helping her resolve that stuff but the whole situation still feels wrong on so many levels.

You can, and all of them are really happy, especially the dogs. The dog who can't see non-moving things is super stoked that there is a member of the family now that never stops moving.

About Alphys it's hard for me to hate Alphys because honestly she only ever wanted to do good by the monsters. She fucks it all up and thinks everyone is going to hate her for it. That puts her in a really bad place emotionally, to the point where she can't even fix anything because of it. Eventually you come along and go through the Mettaton nonsense, which despite her lying to you, ends up giving her some of her confidence back. And then of course you get her and Undyne to admit they like each other which puts her back on a more emotionally steady path. That she lets you into her lab shows this, she's ready to finally face the problems she's caused. And I mean that entire lab section is all about forgiveness. I also don't think you can pin everything on her, Asgore, Toriel, the human race in general, etc, all have a part to play.

I dunno I really liked Alphys, and I thought she was one of the best written characters in the game. I liked that her entire thing was "you hosed up a lot but that doesn't have to define you".

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

How exactly is everything her fault? Also, do you mean she's a bad character, or a bad person? Personally, I feel she had her heart in the right place and made some extremely understandable mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Daeren posted:

As for Alphys...yeah, it was kind of abrupt, but I know someone who is extremely reminiscent of her, so I view her through a sympathetic lens. She wasn't qualified for the job, hosed up massively while trying to benefit others, and fell into a self-destructive, self-loathing isolation, ripping at her own social support until she views her compulsive lying and denial as the only thing standing between her and suicide. The turnaround at the end is when she realizes that she may have SERIOUSLY hosed things up, but she could never have predicted how badly it went, and there are more constructive ways to address the past. It doesn't hurt that Frisk is basically more forgiving than Christ, Sans is too burnt out to give a poo poo, and Undyne has a massive lesbian crush on her and has heavily implied blood on her own hands to deal with. Note that the second Toriel learns about what Alphys did as a royal scientist, she fires her on the spot.

I didn't like her just because, what undyne says about her doing things with passion is something I never really saw and also because I don't think it's so easy to come back from so dark a place. possible, but for me took infinitely longer than displayed in the game. I know it's only like six hours long so there's only so much you can show but if that's the case then maybe don't have that arc.

• Locked thread