Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the music was purchased on iTunes, the phone will let you download everything via the iTunes app.

If you ripped a bunch of CD's, you'll need to plug into a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Question Mark Mound posted:

In the UK at least where Apple Pay is still relatively new, it's a bit awkward occasionally having to convince the person at checkout that, yes, they do accept Apple Pay. It's not even that they don't know that it'll work on any contact point, I've had cases where someone on checkout standing behind a sign attached to the machine saying "We now support Apple Pay!" with a big Apple Pay logo on the screen of the terminal insisting that they haven't got Apple Pay yet.

I think because we've had chip & pin for so long here that even contactless is almost never used, so a lot of retailers are still getting used to not needing a PIN code for stuff.

I tend to say "contactless" in contactless stores without the Pay sticker and "Apple Pay" in those with.

Except McDonalds, because I might get an apple pie instead. :v:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Other alternatives: go and buy a cheap windows 7 or 8 license and upgrade to 10, your computer will be fine and probably run even better

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Tiny Lowtax posted:

How else would I get music from my computer into the phone? I'm new to the whole iPhone thing, always had android

You have 2 options that involve iTunes:
a. wired iTunes connection, probably what you're used to with iPods
b. iTunes match and/or apple music - iTunes scans your local library and sets it up with a cloud music library, uploading anything iTunes doesn't know about
c. something else like spotify

Honestly at this stage in the game it's probably worth hunting down a legit Windows 7 or 8 license and then getting 10.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

How else would I get music from my computer into the phone? I'm new to the whole iPhone thing, always had android

Apple music or Google play would sort you out for completely unhooked music transfer.

Google play has the benefit of being free and the app wasn't programmed by a half baked monkey.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apple Match / Music Library is pretty great.

The only reason I ever have to connect my iPhone to a computer is to put ringtones on it. Everything else is done via ~*the cloud *~

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My iPhone 6s Plus is acting very strange today. It will suddenly stop responding to touch/home button, but it isn't locked up. If what I'm looking at is animating it will still animate. This freeze lasts 10-30 seconds, and makes the phone unusable. I've tried rebooting several times. Tried force quitting all of the apps in the task switcher. It seemed to be switching back and forth between Wifi/4G, so I tried resetting network settings and that seems to have calmed things down.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You ever used Google Music? It's pretty rad and completely free to upload/stream your own library.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

robodex posted:

Other alternatives: go and buy a cheap windows 7 or 8 license and upgrade to 10, your computer will be fine and probably run even better

Vista could run with 512 MB RAM and 800MHz processor, Win 10 needs 1GB and 1GHz. It's likely that it'll be fine but it's certainly not guaranteed, especially if the PC didn't start with Vista.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

Vista could run with 512 MB RAM and 800MHz processor

"run"

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

"Boot" is the better word.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

They're using Vista in 2015, this is a situation where assumptions go out the window.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Vista was actually fine on supported chipsets, the problem iirc was that Intel basically paid Microsoft to certify a bunch of stuff that shouldn't have been. It was definitely fine after sp1 came out.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Recent Android convert.

I like using my phone for videos at the gym. Was previously playing .avi and .mkv files on VLC for Android. Found and installed their ios version, and while videos would play. I'd get no audio - just an error message stating that it didn't support ac3. Googled for a bit, and it seems something changed recently and a lot of media players lost support for the codec?

Brings me to my question. Any recommendations for a media plyer given the above? Would need to play back .avi and .mkv format, and support the ac3 codec.

Free preferred of course, but not bothered to spend money for something decent and stable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The incredibly forgettably-named Waltr is good for those sort of files. http://softorino.com/waltr

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ddogflex posted:

You ever used Google Music? It's pretty rad and completely free to upload/stream your own library.
Perhaps it's just me, but Google Music is an absolute poo poo-sucking nightmare to use on a Mac. I do use it as a free backup destination, though.

And while I'm mentioning things that don't matter, isn't there one good reason to use iTunes, namely if you do an encrypted iTunes backup of a device it'll save settings and passwords?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

mediaphage posted:

Vista was actually fine on supported chipsets, the problem iirc was that Intel basically paid Microsoft to certify a bunch of stuff that shouldn't have been. It was definitely fine after sp1 came out.

I test on vista all the time on many different classes of systems. It was never a star performer.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Anyone have a moment lens? Any thoughts on how well it performs or improves picture quality? Considering getting one but not sure if it's truly worth while.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
I've been playing around with the "Hey Siri" stuff on my new phone (4s -> 6s). It's pretty neat, but is there any way to get it to exit out of the Siri stuff when you're done? Right now it just kinda awkwardly sits on the results screen.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
tell siri to go away

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ieatsoap6 posted:

I've been playing around with the "Hey Siri" stuff on my new phone (4s -> 6s). It's pretty neat, but is there any way to get it to exit out of the Siri stuff when you're done? Right now it just kinda awkwardly sits on the results screen.

Hey Siri, go away.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

carry on then posted:

Hey Siri, go away.

Cool, thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ethereal posted:

Anyone have a moment lens? Any thoughts on how well it performs or improves picture quality? Considering getting one but not sure if it's truly worth while.

I'd be interested in these as well but I wish their product page had a before and after of each photo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Brock Landers posted:

Silicone is grippier and won't discolor. Or discolour.

I actually found the silicone to slowly slide out /down my hand with my 6S+ where the leather one does not.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Ethereal posted:

I've never used any of those lenses but the kids at the skatepark make pretty good edit's with a deathlens. Here is a random youtube that uses the deathlens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkfvb86vA4w

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure it's probably impossible but I'd kill for a good lens that worked with the apple leather case.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is anyone else unable to install or update applications through iTunes? If I download apps through the Updates page on iTunes, I am unable to send those updated apps to my iPhone.

Selecting them in iTunes' sidebar for the phone and selecting update, then apply, simply reverts back and doesn't do anything.

Basically, I can only update apps through the phone itself.

e: Figured it out - the latest versions of those apps require iOS 8.4. Carry on.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 7, 2015

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

Monday_ posted:

Not really sure where to post this, but I'm using an iPhone 6 so if there's a fix maybe you guys would know. I live in NYC and take the subway daily. Most of the lines go both above and below ground, and whenever I go from below to above, it takes about 30 seconds of being above ground before I get a signal. Is there anything I can do to speed that up? I'm on T-Mobile but I don't know if it's specific to them or just a problem with how cell phones work in general.

On thing I've done, is as soon as I'm out of the loop (underground rail in Melbourne Australia) it turn on aeroplane mode and then turn it off again, and I tend to get signal a lot faster than just waiting.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And while I'm mentioning things that don't matter, isn't there one good reason to use iTunes, namely if you do an encrypted iTunes backup of a device it'll save settings and passwords?
iCloud backup is encrypted and carries over the same information.

The main reason to use iTunes is because it's free, data security is better (Apple's 2-factor auth is still not amazing) and then various reasons you wouldn't want to be uploading all the time wrt bandwidth. It's also on-demand, and if you ever need to restore your device it's a lot quicker to get everything back on it.

Tony Phillips posted:

Any recommendations for a media plyer given the above? Would need to play back .avi and .mkv format, and support the ac3 codec.

Free preferred of course, but not bothered to spend money for something decent and stable
If you have decent bandwidth you might want to look into PLEX, it'll play anything via transcoding on the fly for free. The paid option lets you sync to an iPhone (for offline watching) and this will always be transcoded if it needs to be.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605&pagenumber=1

Otherwise the de-facto recommendation is usually handbrake.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 7, 2015

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Looks like this year's -gate is Apple's dual sourcing of chips from Samsung and TSMC for the S models with the TSMC models having significantly longer battery lives (~2 hours).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

shrike82 posted:

Looks like this year's -gate is Apple's dual sourcing of chips from Samsung and TSMC for the S models with the TSMC models having significantly longer battery lives (~2 hours).

Is there an easy way of telling which you have?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I checked mine using this. it's from a decently well known jailbreak dev but it requires installing a profile so use at your own risk etc.

For what it's worth both my white 128gb and my girlfriends black 64gb were both TSMC, purchased at AT&T.

Thorpe fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 7, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a 64gb Space Grey 6s from T-Mobile and I got Samsung'd.

Of course I'm so used to a Nexus 6 and the mediocre battery life that came with it that the only time that my phone is unplugged is when I'm moving it between areas where I have a cord for it (bedroom->living room, apartment-> car -> work).

Gonna run that battery test thing that Reddit's been using to determine life, I'll report back in 6 hours or so.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I got TSMC, yay. I thought Samsung's smaller process was supposed to be more efficient tho, people were freaking out in the opposite direction about that earlier

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Phillips posted:

Brings me to my question. Any recommendations for a media plyer given the above? Would need to play back .avi and .mkv format, and support the ac3 codec.

Free preferred of course, but not bothered to spend money for something decent and stable.

I use Infuse. It's not cheap, but it plays literally everything, automatically downloads metadata and subtitles, and can stream any file it can play to Apple TV or Chromecast (which was the main reason I bought it).

[Edit: heh, that's odd, I made sure that my phone was at 100% and then rebooted it so the test would be from a cold boot... but when it rebooted it was at 97%. Don't think I've seen that happen with any phone I've ever owned. Phone was plugged in the whole time, too]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 7, 2015

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

robodex posted:

Re: signal hunting, if you absolutely need it to check just flip airplane mode off and on. That's what I usually do.

Seconding this. Especially if crossing the manhattan bridge. If I let the phone do its thing it will take almost the entire length of the bridge. Airplane mode gets it connected almost immediately.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thorpe posted:

I checked mine using this. it's from a decently well known jailbreak dev but it requires installing a profile so use at your own risk etc.

For what it's worth both my white 128gb and my girlfriends black 64gb were both TSMC, purchased at AT&T.

looks like you can also use Lirum Device Info Lite – System Monitor, which is in the app store. If your phone model is N71AP or N66AP, you have a samsung CPU. If it's N71mAP or N66mAP then It's TSMC. Mine is TSMC, which is good, although I suspected as much, since the battery life of this phone is the best of any phone I've ever had.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wrap it up Samsungailures

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You guys are giving access to your phone to someone who makes malware simply to see who manufactured some component of your phone to see if you have some "problem" you haven't noticed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Okay, this is driving me insane. Ever since yesterday's update every single time text I send out of iMessage gets sent as an SMS instead of an iMessage. I've tried restarting the phone and disconnecting and reconnecting to iMessage, neither of which has worked. Everything I'm finding relating to this on Google is from two or more years ago. I'm on a 6s Plus, if that makes any difference.